NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

Unfortunately that does not appear to be a good source. It's from an trusted source of AARP but it's outdated despite saying it was last updated yesterday

For instance for my state of KS it says:

1. Gov. Laura Kelly announced she is working with state government authorities to issue a mask mandate.
    1. A state-wide mandate went into effect July 2nd. It's just counties and cities have the option to opt in or opt out.
  2. It also says "The state Department of Health and Environment mandated a 14-day home quarantine for all Kansans who traveled to a state with widespread transmission." Also of note the wording is not just for all Kansans. The official quarantine for our state is for non-residents too.
    1. That hasn't been the case for months. Presently quarantine for KS is

• Travel to or from South Dakota on or after November 4.
  • Travel to or from the countries of Belgium and Czechia.-November 4th as well
  • Travel to or from North Dakota on or after October 21.
  • Travel to or from the country of Andorra on or after October 21.
  • Attended/traveled to mass gathering events out-of-state of 500 people or greater where individuals do not socially distance (6 feet) and wear masks.
  • Been on a cruise ship or river cruise on or after March 15.
  • Others needing to continue quarantining:
    • Received notification from public health officials (state or local) that you are a close contact of a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19.
Really your best bet is to look up the individual state. Additionally I would look up the exact area you'll be in. For instance yesterday started new restrictions for my county. Following suit the large city and 3 other counties issued their own new restrictions. We're all in the same metro (split between two states). The rules differ depending on where you are at.

I deleted the link when I discovered that my home state wasn't current either. The article publication date led me to initially believe the information was current. Sorry all - I tried.

I deleted the link when I discovered that my home state wasn't current either. The article publication date led me to initially believe the information was current. Sorry all - I tried.

It's hard to find an updated one as the info changes all the time and on different days. It's been hard to keep this one up to date with only 3 states, as they each now have a different list and rules than each other now.

Your best bet is to check the state's official state website (of the different states you are interested in.) It will be (state name).gov. IF they are following any coronavirus procedures, (not all of them do,) they will have a Coronavirus or COVID page.

The article you found by CNN would give an indication that a state does have some procedures - even if they are outdated.

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to find clarification as to how to measure the three day quarantine upon arrival? The official order says one must quarantine "for a minimum of three days, measured from time of arrival, and on day 4 may seek a diagnostic test to exit quarantine." Does arrival day count as Day 1? Or is arrival day Day 0? I'm tempted to say it literally means 72 hours from arrival and not full days, since they specify time of arrival, except in the previous sentence it says you must have been tested "within 72 hours prior to arrival in New York." So if they meant 72 hours after arrival they know how to say that. Except I think it is even more likely that nobody thought to be consistent and clear in their writing, even though these are fairly specific rules, and this is basically a muddled, unclear mess.

Also, with respect to the 72 hours prior, are they really not going to count it if you arrive in the afternoon, but were tested 3 days earlier in the morning?

I got distracted, I forgot to answer your post as to what I *think.* I agree with you that it probably literally means 72 hours from arrival and not full days, since they specify time of arrival.

My reasoning for that is that even if a COVID test result is negative. Right after you leave the test site, you could be exposed to enough COVID to now have it. It generally takes 3-4 days for enough COVID to replicate in the body to then show up on another test. :hourglass

They specify time of arrival because, in their estimation, (I'm guessing,) the likely places you would get COVID is at the airport, like at baggage claim, where there are many, many people in an enclosed space, not able to or bothering to socially distance, some with COVID. Or your taxi or Uber driver may have it. Until you finally shut the door and are quarantining for 72 hours, you may have been exposed. :duck:

It now makes sense to me why one doesn't need to produce the test results for the first test. The first test is basically to catch the people who already have it and get them to quarantine right away. For everyone else, (especially as some of the rapid tests have a high degree of false negatives,) it is the second test that matters more - especially in conjunction if one took a rapid test the first time. Hopefully 2 rapid tests won't have 2 false negatives. And for everyone else, they didn't get COVID at the airport or on the way into NY.

NY can't STOP COVID from coming into the state. However the state does and always has from the beginning, believed in and has instituted procedures to CONTROL the spread as much as possible.

Edited: The C.D.C. Urges Americans to Avoid Thanksgiving Travel. America now has over 250,000 COVID deaths. By mid-Dec, they expect the numbers to go up to 290,000.

Last edited:
I got distracted, I forgot to answer your post as to what I *think.* I agree with you that it probably literally means 72 hours from arrival and not full days, since they specify time of arrival.

My reasoning for that is that even if a COVID test result is negative. Right after you leave the test site, you could be exposed to enough COVID to now have it. It generally takes 3-4 days for enough COVID to replicate in the body to then show up on another test. :hourglass

They specify time of arrival because, in their estimation, (I'm guessing,) the likely places you would get COVID is at the airport, like at baggage claim, where there are many, many people in an enclosed space, not able to or bothering to socially distance, some with COVID. Or your taxi or Uber driver may have it. Until you finally shut the door and are quarantining for 72 hours, you may have been exposed. :duck:
I think you're right. So what this means -- assuming we are correct -- is that if you arrive on say a Monday at 11am, you can get your second test as early as Thursday afternoon. But if you arrive Monday at 6pm, you probably need to wait until Friday to take the second test.

I think you're right. So what this means -- assuming we are correct -- is that if you arrive on say a Monday at 11am, you can get your second test as early as Thursday afternoon. But if you arrive Monday at 6pm, you probably need to wait until Friday to take the second test.

Yes, that's what I *think.* Because if people get snowed in at O'Hare airport for an extra 6 hours, they are walking around there, possibly getting exposed. So time of "arrival" is important, meaning when one can start quarantining.

Last edited:

I'm so confused with this. Ok...let's say I'm flying to Florida on Sunday and going back to NY on Friday. Does that mean I have to get my first test in florida on Tuesday? Or can i get it any time during the next 3 days leading up to Friday?

I'm so confused with this. Ok...let's say I'm flying to Florida on Sunday and going back to NY on Friday. Does that mean I have to get my first test in florida on Tuesday? Or can i get it any time during the next 3 days leading up to Friday?

You get tested within 72 hours of return arrival time to NY, so you could get tested as early as Tuesday, depending on your arrival time in NY on Friday. (edited for clarity)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter