• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

Is this only for flying into NY? Where do you do the paperwork if just driving in? What if you are there under 24 hrs? I think that’s what you were allowed previously.
Under 24 hours passing through NY you don’t have to do anything. But changing with these new rules is if you leave NY and are only gone for less than 24 hours, you now need that negative test after 3 days of being back in NY (but you don’t have to quarantine).

If you’re driving in, you fill out the form online.

Is this only for flying into NY? Where do you do the paperwork if just driving in? What if you are there under 24 hrs? I think that’s what you were allowed previously.

People driving into NY can fill out the form online. This helps with contact tracing if there is a problem later.

Here is the link to the form. It is on the NY.gov website:

https://forms.ny.gov/s3/Welcome-to-New-York-State-Traveler-Health-Form

If traveling in less that 24 hours, you don't need to quarantine.

Currently, NJ & CT still have the list of states that one needs to quarantine if arriving from, on their websites. No changes for either state.

I wonder how it works if you will only be in NY for 2 nights?
Then you must quarantine for those 2 days completely. No exceptions.

Yes, you'd need to quarantine and fill out the Traveler Health Form upon arrival into New York State. You can fill it out online. This helps with contact tracing if there is a problem later.

Here is the link to the form. It is also on the NY.gov website:

https://forms.ny.gov/s3/Welcome-to-New-York-State-Traveler-Health-Form

This really doesn't make visiting our families in NY any easier. We usually visit both families for Christmas and they live on completely opposite ends of NYS so the logistics during a normal year are quite complex. Right now, our plans are for just my husband to go and visit his family, or for us to each go and visit our own families, but not each others, and spend the holiday away from one another, or we just stay home together this year. It isn't a huge concern to us no matter which option we choose, and quite a bit could change between now and Christmas, but it is definitely sad and disappointing. Maybe we can just do Christmas in July 2021...

If you have to travel through PA to get to the other side of the NY state, PA is exempt for traveling through. However, PA usually has a higher infection rate. Although, that may change in the upcoming months. The police broke up a few huge Halloween parties of about 500 each, last night. And those were only the ones they found. Any of them could be super-spreaders. :headache:

As for July, that may still be too soon. A couple weeks ago, the NY Gov. estimated we will have COVID for about another YEAR, with micro-clusters still popping up. He said even if we get a vaccine, and most of them are 2-shot processes, which require a month or so in between shots, it is logistically impossible to vaccinate 19.1 million people twice quickly & easily. And that's with people willing to take the shots.

If you have to travel through PA to get to the other side of the NY state, PA is exempt for traveling through. However, PA usually has a higher infection rate. Although, that may change in the upcoming months. The police broke up a few huge Halloween parties of about 500 each, last night. And those were only the ones they found. Any of them could be super-spreaders. :headache:

As for July, that may still be too soon. A couple weeks ago, the NY Gov. estimated we will have COVID for about another YEAR, with micro-clusters still popping up. He said even if we get a vaccine, and most of them are 2-shot processes, which require a month or so in between shots, it is logistically impossible to vaccinate 19.1 million people twice quickly & easily. And that's with people willing to take the shots.

Thanks. To be honest, we would both rather stay in CA and stay safe, and not expose our families or ourselves. The biggest hurdle to this is that my husband's grandmother has been hospitalized multiple times in the past few months, so we are trying to figure out how to balance the opposing options of keeping her safe vs being able to see her and spend time with her.

I also think July will be too soon for our 'normal' type trip, but there is no way that he can go from now to next fall without seeing his grandmother, and I would really like to see my mom. We keep talking in circles with no good clear 'best' plan.

There are no good options and so many people are struggling with these types of decisions, it is not easy.

Update for CT (only) for 11/3/20:
Oregon & Washington state added.

NJ hasn't updated it's list yet.

NJ and CT's lists are no longer exactly the same, due to the "neighboring/contiguous/border states are exempt" rule.

It's actually easier to look at each state's individual lists for their full list. (Links below.) However, here are the differences between NJ & CT's list.

On New Jersey's Travel Advisory quarantine list:
Delaware & Pennsylvania are NOT on the list. Travelers are exempt from quarantining if one is crossing state lines for work or other essential reasons. All other types of travel are to be avoided.

Massachusetts is on NJ's list.
Rhode Island is on the list.

As NJ's infection rate continues to rise, NJ Gov. Murphy said today that all options are on the table, including a statewide curfew or a lockdown in some parts of the state. :(

For a complete and most accurate, updated NJ states quarantine list visit the NJ.gov COVID-19 web page:
https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/nj-information/travel-and-transportation/which-states-are-on-the-travel-advisory

On Connecticut's Travel Advisory quarantine list:
Delaware & Pennsylvania ARE on the list.
Oregon & Washington state just added.
Massachusetts IS on CT's list, even though it is a border state.

Rhode Island is NOT on the list.

For a complete and most accurate, updated CT states quarantine list visit the CT.gov COVID-19 web page:
https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Travel

For NY, as posted earlier:
Starting tomorrow, Nov 4, New York is scrapping the quarantine list and is switching to requiring 2 COVID-19 tests, with a 3 day quarantine in between the two tests for ALL states except neighboring/contiguous/border states, (whatever you want to call them.) The first COVID-19 test must be taken within 3 days before arriving in NY. There are exemptions, see link below. ALL travelers must fill out the NY Traveler Health Form to help with Contact Tracing.

For a complete and most accurate, updated NY COVID-19 changes:
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

Last edited:
I’ve just read this and I’m not sure how possible it is. Coumo’s rule is to test within 3 days of arriving to NYS, and yet he says not to land without a negative test? 537177

I’ve just read this and I’m not sure how possible it is. Coumo’s rule is to test within 3 days of arriving to NYS, and yet he says not to land without a negative test? View attachment 537177

I was confused by this at first too, but I believe you must test negative within 3 days of leaving the state you are visiting, before you ever arrive in NYS, then quarantine for 3 days and test negative again. If you test negative, you can go back to "normal."

So for example, I'm planning on visiting California for Christmas. I would have to test negative within 3 days of leaving CA, fly home, quarantine for 3 days, then test negative again before going back to work.

Or you can quarantine for 14 days. I think that option is still on the table.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with this!

I’ve just read this and I’m not sure how possible it is. Coumo’s rule is to test within 3 days of arriving to NYS, and yet he says not to land without a negative test?

It's test within 3 days BEFORE arriving in NYS and have the test result with you as proof. The National Guard will be helping to speed things along, checking that everyone has their NY Traveler Health Form properly filled out to ensure NYS can do contact tracing if one is infected, or one gets infected by others while here.

If one can't test, has no intention of testing or has no proof of results, one has to stay indoors (quarantine) so the ONLY people they infect is their family over the holidays. (Which is on THEM.) Most people become infectious within a 3-4 day period after exposure. Outward symptoms show typically around day 5-6. Yet one is infectious a couple days before outward symptoms, if there are any.)

Quarantine is not the same as solitary confinement in a prison, where a person doesn't get to see or interact with other people. They can stay in the same home as the people they are visiting with. (Have a separate area to sleep/stay in. Maintain a LOT of social distancing, mask up, and turn off the central air or heat, in which COVID can be accidentally spread from the quarantine area through the ventilation system to the rest of the house. Keep windows open and air all rooms often. The CDC states that COVID spreads 80% more easily indoors than outside. Spend time, socially distanced outdoors. (These are guidelines by the CDC to minimize the risk of spreading the infection, not a guarantee.)

People who are forced to quarantine (and will follow the rules,) don't get to go out to stores or dine indoors at restaurants, etc., and infect several other people, and NYS is scrambling to contact trace and test everyone that an infectious person had contact with afterward. Which is impossible in a store.

NY already knows that there will be many who won't follow the rules, out of a selfish disregard, or a sense of entitlement, or being sadly misinformed about COVID, or just doesn't have the money to get tested AND won't follow the rules. The infection rate WILL spike in NYS after the holidays. I *think* bringing in the National Guard is to get all the paperwork for contact tracing as quickly and smoothly as possible. And those are the ones that CAN be tracked. There will be many driving in that can't be traced. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the National Guard may be deployed to the bridges & tunnels too. Basically, every other state except ME (and NH, depending on the day,) has a higher infection rate than NY.

Hawaii has strict enforcement of getting tested and not being allowed in if one does not have a negative test from approved labs. Since it is much easier to track everyone coming in, and keep an eye on individual visitors at hotels & resorts, many visitors have just turned back around and gotten on another plane and gone home:

Last edited:
@Imzadi -Thanks for keeping this info updated! It’s come in handy on this end.

Thanks. That means a lot, especially now that I have the Hallmark Christmas movies on TV nonstop, it is putting me in a Covid INFO fatigue stupor. o_O I don't want to leave the safe, happily ever after non-reality :cloud9: to focus on facts we need to know. :teleport: :lmao:

Keep in mind, you don’t have to have the negative test result with you when you land in NY. You must have 2 negative test results (one from the state you’re coming from and one after the 3rd day of quarantine in NY) in order to come out of quarantine early. NY understands it’s difficult to get a result within 72 hours of arriving in NY as a lot of testing facilities are still taking 5 days or so to get you results.

So when you land, you’ll have proof you tested in the state you’re coming from. You’ll test again in NY after the 3rd day. And when you have both negative results, then you are allowed to leave quarantine.

Keep in mind, you don’t have to have the negative test result with you when you land in NY. You must have 2 negative test results (one from the state you’re coming from and one after the 3rd day of quarantine in NY) in order to come out of quarantine early. NY understands it’s difficult to get a result within 72 hours of arriving in NY as a lot of testing facilities are still taking 5 days or so to get you results.

Do you have a link for this info? That's contradictory to what DisneyDebbie posted, which states that the test results do have to be in hand. Although, NY does know that some labs, (especially the national labs like Quest and LabCorp,) do take a long time.

The National Guard checking for test results probably will want to just see evidence that a test was taken at all, even if results ares still pending. Otherwise they then have to explain about quarantining for 14 days instead of 3. (Which is what one would do if they don't want to get tested.)

I also actually doubt that people will be staying for Thanksgiving longer than 4 days. Most likely, people will come in on Wed, stay to Sun, and head back. The National Guard will probably just explain to everyone to quarantine the whole time, and send people on their way for turkey day. 🦃 The NY Gov, had said that the National Guard in NY is not used for combat type purposes. They are generally brought in, in a supportive way. There will be too many travelers standing in long lines needing to have the travel advisory explained to them and their testing status checked. Having many National Guards at the airports speeds the lines along, while giving each person enough time to have questions answered.

BTW, it is a good reminder for everyone: Check and see if you need to schedule an appointment for a COVID test, especially before the upcoming holidays, even if it's a lab you've been to before. Remember: there may be a mad crush to get tested. Also, phone and ask how long results have been taking. The big national laboratory companies like Quest, and LabCorp - which have been inundated with demand from across the country as the virus is on the rise, have backlogs of tests. They are the ones that are generally taking the longest time for results to come back.

Also, unlike Hawaii, which wants the best and most sensitive/reliable test done, NYS hasn't specified a specific test. Probably because they require a second test done anyway. Ask if they do different types of COVID tests

Costco has the COVID saliva tests for $130.

CVS Pharmacy has COVID testing in some areas. They even have drive-up testing in some areas.

The GMA video I posted a few posts up has a list of what Hawaii considers the most reliable labs a the 50 second mark. If you are visiting 80 year old grandma and don't want to take chances on a test that has high false negatives, pick a lab from that list for the nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

Last edited:
Do you have a link for this info? That's contradictory to what DisneyDebbie posted, which states that the test results do have to be in hand. Although, NY does know that some labs, (especially the national labs like Quest and LabCorp,) do take a long time.

The National Guard checking for test results probably will want to just see evidence that a test was taken at all, even if results ares still pending. Otherwise they then have to explain about quarantining for 14 days instead of 3. (Which is what one would do if they don't want to get tested.)

I also actually doubt that people will be staying for Thanksgiving longer than 4 days. Most likely, people will come in on Wed, stay to Sun, and head back. The National Guard will probably just explain to everyone to quarantine the whole time, and send people on their way for turkey day. 🦃 The NY Gov, had said that the National Guard in NY is not used for combat type purposes. They are generally brought in, in a supportive way. There will be too many travelers standing in long lines needing to have the travel advisory explained to them and their testing status checked. Having many National Guards at the airports speeds the lines along, while giving each person enough time to have questions answered.

BTW, it is a good reminder for everyone: Check and see if you need to schedule an appointment for a COVID test, especially before the upcoming holidays, even if it's a lab you've been to before. Remember: there may be a mad crush to get tested. Also, phone and ask how long results have been taking. The big national laboratory companies like Quest, and LabCorp - which have been inundated with demand from across the country as the virus is on the rise, have backlogs of tests. They are the ones that are generally taking the longest time for results to come back.

Also, unlike Hawaii, which wants the best and most sensitive/reliable test done, NYS hasn't specified a specific test. Probably because they require a second test done anyway. Ask if they do different types of COVID tests

Costco has the COVID saliva tests for $130.

CVS Pharmacy has COVID testing in some areas. They even have drive-up testing in some areas.

The GMA video I posted a few posts up has a list of what Hawaii considers the most reliable labs a the 50 second mark. If you are visiting 80 year old grandma and don't want to take chances on a test that has high false negatives, pick a lab from that list for the nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-2052-quarantine-restrictions-travelers-arriving-new-york
Direct from Cuomo’s executive order. It states that the traveler must seek testing within 72 hours of traveling into NY, get tested after 3 days in NY quarantine, and then can be let out of quarantine upon receipt of the 2 negative tests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter