• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-2052-quarantine-restrictions-travelers-arriving-new-york
Direct from Cuomo’s executive order. It states that the traveler must seek testing within 72 hours of traveling into NY, get tested after 3 days in NY quarantine, and then can be let out of quarantine upon receipt of the 2 negative tests.

Yes, but no where does it say that one doesn't need to have the first test results in hand. Whereas the screenshot DisneyDebbie posted said, "You should not land if you do not have proof of a negative test upon landing."

However, NY isn't Hawaii, where people aren't allowed to enter. One has to quarantine upon arriving in either case. The difference is 3 days (if one gets two negative tests.) Or 14 days if one doesn't want to test at all.

I would think the National Guard will simply say, if there is no proof of testing, to quarantine for the full 14 days. And if/when the second test results shows up, then people can get tested on the fourth day and exit quarantine. By that time, most people will likely be headed back to their home state anyway, after the long holiday weekend.

Yes, but no where does it say that one doesn't need to have the first test results in hand. Whereas the screenshot DisneyDebbie posted said, "You should not land if you do not have proof of a negative test upon landing."

However, NY isn't Hawaii, where people aren't allowed to enter. One has to quarantine upon arriving in either case. The difference is 3 days (if one gets two negative tests.) Or 14 days if one doesn't want to test at all.

I would think the National Guard will simply say, if there is no proof of testing, to quarantine for the full 14 days. And if/when the second test results shows up, then people can get tested on the fourth day and exit quarantine. By that time, most people will likely be headed back to their home state anyway, after the long holiday weekend.
I would go more off what the actual executive order states rather than a news story with a quote from Cuomo. One is in writing in a legal method, the other is not. If the order states you just need the 2 negative test results after 3 days of quarantine that’s what I’d go with. If Cuomo wants it to be that you need a negative result prior to landing in NY, he’d have to change the language to reflect that in the order (which he very well may do but hasn’t yet).

The National Guard isn’t directing anyone on whether they have to quarantine for 3 or 14 days. When you land, you fill out the forms. No one collects the test information. At the end of 3 days, if you choose to get the test, you get tested, get the results and are done with quarantine. When you get your call or text to follow up, you inform them of the results and they clear you.

There is a lot of confusion as to who is monitoring these results. I know on Long Island, both Nassau and Suffolk counties are under the impression that NYS will be monitoring and verifying the test results. But NYS wants the counties to do the monitoring and verifying. Yet those counties stated they don’t have the manpower, resources, or infrastructure to do that. So it’s going to be an utter mess.

But main point is, follow the executive order. The order doesn’t state you need the negative result in hand when you land. That’s all you need to see. That’s the legal precedent

If Cuomo wants it to be that you need a negative result prior to landing in NY, he’d have to change the language to reflect that in the order (which he very well may do but hasn’t yet)

Can you imagine the mess if you MUST have the results in hand? People don’t have control over how long it takes to get test results. What are they supposed to do if returning home to NY? Cancel their flight, book a hotel & then recook their flight when the results come in ? Not realistic to think everyone will have their results in hand on landing.

I would go more off what the actual executive order states rather than a news story with a quote from Cuomo. One is in writing in a legal method, the other is not. If the order states you just need the 2 negative test results after 3 days of quarantine that’s what I’d go with. If Cuomo wants it to be that you need a negative result prior to landing in NY, he’d have to change the language to reflect that in the order (which he very well may do but hasn’t yet).

Actually, here on the NY Governor's website is a transcript from where he states very clearly what DisneyDebbie had posted. He stated it in his news teleconference 3 days ago, so it supersedes and clarifies what he had written in his executive order - which also states that additions or changes may be made to it. If you don't know how his news conferences work, he will make a law/executive order then clarify it during his news conference when reporters question him.

Dont%2BLand%2Bwithout%2Bneg%2Btest.JPG

Link to full transcript: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/au...es-updated-covid-19-micro-cluster-focus-zones

The National Guard isn’t directing anyone on whether they have to quarantine for 3 or 14 days. When you land, you fill out the forms. No one collects the test information. At the end of 3 days, if you choose to get the test, you get tested, get the results and are done with quarantine. When you get your call or text to follow up, you inform them of the results and they clear you.

The National Guard IS coming in to airports collect the NY Traveler Health Form and answer questions at NY airports. The Gov stated it in his news conference above, 3 days ago, And here are other links showing a National Guard member at the airport collecting the forms and answering questions. (I annotate and provide links when possible. I don't expect people to just trust what someone says on the Internet without giving direct links. Especially for something as important as COVID or screwing up someone's travel plans.)

Article link: https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-new...-to-help-enforce-mandatory-travel-quarantines

Photo:

NatGuard%2Bin%2BNY%2Bairports.JPG

There is a lot of confusion as to who is monitoring these results. I know on Long Island, both Nassau and Suffolk counties are under the impression that NYS will be monitoring and verifying the test results. But NYS wants the counties to do the monitoring and verifying. Yet those counties stated they don’t have the manpower, resources, or infrastructure to do that. So it’s going to be an utter mess.

The bolded is precisely the reason the National Guard is being sent to NY airports. There currently isn't enough manpower, resources, or infrastructure already in place. They just haven't been sent to LI yet. They will be there for the holidays as the Gov. stated. The video link said they are being trained as to what they are to do at the NY airports.

Last edited:

Can you imagine the mess if you MUST have the results in hand? People don’t have control over how long it takes to get test results. What are they supposed to do if returning home to NY? Cancel their flight, book a hotel & then recook their flight when the results come in ? Not realistic to think everyone will have their results in hand on landing.

:lmao:Actually that IS the requirement for Hawaii. I even posted the video already in post #294 to SHOW:
• YES, another state IS requiring COVID testing.
• YES, one must have their test results in hand to furnish PROOF of having taken said test, with a negative result. One can't just say, "Yes, I took the test. Oh, you want proof of a negative test result? I didn't know I was supposed to supply proof after being ordered to take a test. I don't have any proof."
• And YES it became mess when some travelers didn't provide the correct necessary test.

Even in the GMA news video, posted again BELOW, ⬇ a Hawaiian spokesperson SAID people didn't READ the info on the Hawaii government website to know that they must have tests in hand to prove they took a COVID test, a specific kind of COVID test and the test must be done only at very specific approved labs. People just HEARD from someone or somewhere that Hawaii's 14 day quarantine was changed to a COVID test, yet didn't bother finding out the facts from the actual source.

Here AGAIN is the video where people had to either quarantine their whole vacation in Hawaii, while others turned around, got right on another plane and went directly back to the states. Yes, it was a MESS.

Follow the Governor's clarification in his news conference in the post above, to avoid the situation which happened to some people in Hawaii.

Last edited:
He may change wording of the order. This whole thing is a dynamically changing situation. It only started 5 days ago. Normally people know it's obvious that if one is told they will need a test with a certain result, that it also means one has to supply the proof that it's been taken and that result has been obtained. "Oh, I just wanted you to take it. I didn't really need the answer." :rolleyes: No, it doesn't work that way. Only on the Dis. :rolleyes:

If it turns out other people are really that unclear about how things will work, then changes for clarity may be done. He gives about 2 teleconferences a week along with other interviews, which is why I asked you for a link that says it doesn't need to be supplied. I assume that news article DisneyDebbie posted quoted the Gov. directly from one of those teleconferences. It quotes him specifically saying that info had better be supplied.

So, while it would be a good thing to have the current executive order printed out for those who think one can get tested but not furnish the results, to explain their rationale. One also has to be mindful that a later, modified order may come out, clarifying or changing the requirements any protocols. It DOES state that it may be modified or added to. It would be prudent for people to stay alert for changes.

An example of how the situation is changing:

The National Guard is coming in to airports collect the NY Traveler Health Form and answer questions at NY airports. Here are the links. (I annotate and provide links when possible. I don't expect people to just trust what someone says on the Internet without giving direct links. Especially for something as important as COVID or screwing up someone's travel plans.)

Article link: https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-new...-to-help-enforce-mandatory-travel-quarantines

Photo:

NatGuard%2Bin%2BNY%2Bairports.JPG

The bolded is precisely the reason the National Guard is being sent to NY airports. There currently isn't enough manpower, resources, or infrastructure already in place. They just haven't been sent to LI yet, apparently. Will probably be there for the holidays as the Gov. stated. The video link said they are being trained as to what they are to do at the NY airports.
But what I’m trying to get across is, until the wording of that order is changed, the only thing you need to worry about is the order. The only way you can face any charges (fines or jail) from breaking this order is if you don’t follow the wording of the order. One can not be found liable in a court of law based on something a governor says in a press conference, if its not backed up in law or executive order. We, as a nation, follow what is written.

I agree with you that Cuomo has been putting out conflicting info this entire time and his statements in the press have been different than his order. But the main point I’ve been trying to get across is, while the order is written this way, that’s what one has to follow. And the current order is written to state that once you have 2 negative test results you can leave quarantine. It does not state you must have the result when you land.

But what I’m trying to get across is, until the wording of that order is changed, the only thing you need to worry about is the order. The only way you can face any charges (fines or jail) from breaking this order is if you don’t follow the wording of the order. One can not be found liable in a court of law based on something a governor says in a press conference, if its not backed up in law or executive order. We, as a nation, follow what is written.

I just changed my post above. I added links and photos where he HAS clarified what was in the executive order and it's on his official website. He does that in his news conferences, because, I agree, he can be quite confusing. I've sat through some where he's had to explain 3 times to 3 different reporters what he means. Many reporters wrote what he said: don't show up without the negative test.

Or at least, I would think, the receipt or paperwork that one was taken and the results are pending. The goal is to get through the airport quickly and easily and demonstrating one IS doing the steps to ensure others safety, even if the labs are late with their results.

"I took a COVID test. Here is the lab receipt/paperwork as proof. The results still aren't back yet. I know to quarantine until the negative results come in so I can take a second test on the 4th day. Otherwise, I quarantine for the full 14 days." DONE. Next!

If YOU want to show up without paperwork or proof just to prove some legal point while 100 people are standing in line behind you, have at it.

@skeeter31 is correct that the wording of the official Executive Order is what counts legally -- not spoken "clarification" whether a written transcript of that spoken word is posted or not. The Executive Order is a legal document and needs to be officially amended if it doesn't state what he intended.

That said, Executive Orders as well as laws are misinterpreted through enforcement every day. And yes that could impact someone's arrival.

That said, Executive Orders as well as laws are misinterpreted through enforcement every day. And yes that could impact someone's arrival.

Thank you. Aren't there some things that are implicitly implied or assumed in court? There's also something in court about laws are written with the expectation of people having a reasonable level of intelligence?

Like if one is told to take a test for a negative result, it goes hand in hand that one should have to furnish proof of that result?

Thank you. Aren't there some things that are implicitly implied or assumed in court? There's also something in court about laws are written with the expectation of people having a reasonable level of intelligence?

Like if one is told to take a test for a negative result, it goes hand in hand that one should have to furnish proof of that result?
No one is saying that you shouldn’t test or try to get that result prior to arrival. What I keep arguing is based on the fact that it’s very hard, or expensive, to have a negative test in hand within 72 hours of arriving in NY. You absolutely should have proof that you have tested. I would bring the receipt and anything I had. But I doubt the majority of people will be able to have the actual negative test result in hand when they land. That’s the hard part here.

No one is saying that you shouldn’t test or try to get that result prior to arrival. What I keep arguing is based on the fact that it’s very hard, or expensive, to have a negative test in hand within 72 hours of arriving in NY. You absolutely should have proof that you have tested. I would bring the receipt and anything I had. But I doubt the majority of people will be able to have the actual negative test result in hand when they land. That’s the hard part here.

There's also rapid COVID tests now, if they are available in people's area. NYS didn't specify which test one has to take.

Has anyone managed to find clarification as to how to measure the three day quarantine upon arrival? The official order says one must quarantine "for a minimum of three days, measured from time of arrival, and on day 4 may seek a diagnostic test to exit quarantine." Does arrival day count as Day 1? Or is arrival day Day 0? I'm tempted to say it literally means 72 hours from arrival and not full days, since they specify time of arrival, except in the previous sentence it says you must have been tested "within 72 hours prior to arrival in New York." So if they meant 72 hours after arrival they know how to say that. Except I think it is even more likely that nobody thought to be consistent and clear in their writing, even though these are fairly specific rules, and this is basically a muddled, unclear mess.

Also, with respect to the 72 hours prior, are they really not going to count it if you arrive in the afternoon, but were tested 3 days earlier in the morning?

There's also rapid COVID tests now, if they are available in people's area. NYS didn't specify which test one has to take.
Right. The rapids were what I was referring to with being expensive. Most places that have them are $125-$150 per person. So a family of 4 would be spending almost $500 to get a rapid. Whereas slower tests are generally free.

Agree! And you can drive into NY state on hundreds of roads & not present any proof. NY will have a hard time turning people away who fly in with proof of testing, even if they haven’t gotten the results. You can’t really defend stopping people from getting off a plane when they can get in a car & drive in. Especially when the EO still allows for a 14 day quarantine.

Hawaii is a whole different story. Everyone is entering that state the same way.

Last edited:
And you can drive into NY state on hundreds of roads & not present any proof. NY will have a hard time turning people away who fly in with proof of testing, even if they haven’t gotten the results. You can’t really defend stopping people from getting off a plane when they can get in a car & drive in. Especially when the EO still allows for a 14 day quarantine.

You really don't read through my posts or have selective memory/interpretation. :rolleyes: I already said in another post (read the bolded) below that people will drive in untracked. I NEVER said people would be turned away at airports. YOU were the one who said, "Can you imagine the mess if you MUST have the results in hand?" I pointed out a situation where people NOT having info on hand creates a mess.

NY already knows that there will be many who won't follow the rules, out of a selfish disregard, or a sense of entitlement, or being sadly misinformed about COVID, or just doesn't have the money to get tested AND won't follow the rules. The infection rate WILL spike in NYS after the holidays. I *think* bringing in the National Guard is to get all the paperwork for contact tracing as quickly and smoothly as possible. And those are the ones that CAN be tracked. There will be many driving in that can't be traced. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the National Guard may be deployed to the bridges & tunnels too. The Mayor already has something similar, stopping cars with far away license plates. Basically, every other state except ME (and NH, depending on the day,) has a higher infection rate than NY.

Last edited:

"Proof" only needs to be furnished in combination with a second negative test result taken 3 days after arrival. People with a positive test result are not banned from entry. Therefore one could reasonably assume that an initial negative result is not needed on arrival. That initial negative test result only has significance combined with a second negative test result to end quarantine early.

"Proof" only needs to be furnished in combination with a second negative test result taken 3 days after arrival. People with a positive test result are not banned from entry. Therefore one could reasonably assume that an initial negative result is not needed on arrival. That initial negative test result only has significance combined with a second negative test result to end quarantine early.

I know this is a long shot but is anyone aware of a website that is tracking the restrictions and requirements of each of the 50 states?

I have been looking and haven't found one yet.

TIA

I know this is a long shot but is anyone aware of a website that is tracking the restrictions and requirements of each of the 50 states?

I have been looking and haven't found one yet.

TIA

A ha - found one - I guess I was phrasing it wrong when I googled earlier. Not as up to date as I had hoped even though the article is dated yesterday (11/16/20)

removed link as it was not as current as the article date implied. see below for CNN link.

Last edited:
A ha - found one - I guess I was phrasing it wrong when I googled earlier.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-socie...info-2020/coronavirus-state-restrictions.html
Unfortunately that does not appear to be a good source. It's from an trusted source of AARP but it's outdated despite saying it was last updated yesterday

For instance for my state of KS it says:

1. Gov. Laura Kelly announced she is working with state government authorities to issue a mask mandate.
    1. A state-wide mandate went into effect July 2nd. It's just counties and cities have the option to opt in or opt out.
  2. It also says "The state Department of Health and Environment mandated a 14-day home quarantine for all Kansans who traveled to a state with widespread transmission." Also of note the wording is not just for all Kansans. The official quarantine for our state is for non-residents too.
    1. That hasn't been the case for months. Presently quarantine for KS is

• Travel to or from South Dakota on or after November 4.
  • Travel to or from the countries of Belgium and Czechia.-November 4th as well
  • Travel to or from North Dakota on or after October 21.
  • Travel to or from the country of Andorra on or after October 21.
  • Attended/traveled to mass gathering events out-of-state of 500 people or greater where individuals do not socially distance (6 feet) and wear masks.
  • Been on a cruise ship or river cruise on or after March 15.
  • Others needing to continue quarantining:
    • Received notification from public health officials (state or local) that you are a close contact of a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19.
Really your best bet is to look up the individual state. Additionally I would look up the exact area you'll be in. For instance yesterday started new restrictions for my county. Following suit the large city and 3 other counties issued their own new restrictions. We're all in the same metro (split between two states). The rules differ depending on where you are at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter