NYC CRUISES PLANNING/INFO ThREAD!

Just back off the 2 night weekend getaway. Great time.

The night before we stayed at Ink48, just one block from the cruise terminal. Highly recommended. Spotlessly clean, amazing views from our room, friendly staff.

We paid about $250 for the night and had a king bed room w/ corner views.

Hope this helps someone else.

Was it easy to determine where to cross West Side Highway, and where to enter the pier?
Thanks

Hello to all,
Wanted to give everyone who is driving to NYC a 'heads up' about major construction that has just started last week on the George Washington Bridge/roadways, won't be completed until October, and the predictions about the delays are dire. If you Google construction GW Bridge, you can find information about the very long delays expected and plan extra time or an alternate route.
Maggie

Was it easy to determine where to cross West Side Highway, and where to enter the pier?
Thanks

It was super easy. I was worried about the same thing before we got down there. There are traffic lights down there (I believe the West Side Highway ends and turns into 12th street around 55th St.), and you really can't miss the giant "Pier 88" sign. You'll have no problem finding it or crossing the street. You can walk a block down 48th and cross right there on the downtown-side corner. From there, just take the elevator or escalator to security and check in. If you want a quick bite to eat, there's a deli/market on the corner of 11th and 49th that will make you a good egg, cheese, and bacon/sausage on a NY Roll for $4. There's not much once you get in the terminal as others have said. It's a block out of the way, but it really hit the spot for me.

We will be staying in Monmouth the night before our cruise and are due to board at 11:30a.m. Monmouth is 45 miles from the terminal. Any suggestions as to what time to leave our hotel to drive in on a Sunday morning (Labor Day weekend)? Traffic predictions? I'll probably be chomping at the bit and out by 8am! :)

Stephanie

Here's a questions for those familiar with JFK airport. I'm flying into terminal 5 on Jetblue. My friend and her son are flying into terminal 3 on Delta. How hard will it be for us to locate each other? Can I easily walk to their baggage claim after getting my bag at my baggage claim. We'd like to ride into Manhattan together (cab). We arrive within 15 minutes of each other.

We will be staying in Monmouth the night before our cruise and are due to board at 11:30a.m. Monmouth is 45 miles from the terminal. Any suggestions as to what time to leave our hotel to drive in on a Sunday morning (Labor Day weekend)? Traffic predictions? I'll probably be chomping at the bit and out by 8am! :)

Stephanie

I doubt you'll hit much traffic on Memorial Day Sunday in the AM, but in NYC you never know. It'll probably take you about an hour, but I'd leave about 45 min. to an hour earlier than that just to be safe. Better to be waiting and relaxing in the terminal looking at the ship than stressed while waiting in traffic looking at the inside of the Holland Tunnel.

Here's a questions for those familiar with JFK airport. I'm flying into terminal 5 on Jetblue. My friend and her son are flying into terminal 3 on Delta. How hard will it be for us to locate each other? Can I easily walk to their baggage claim after getting my bag at my baggage claim. We'd like to ride into Manhattan together (cab). We arrive within 15 minutes of each other.

There is an Airtrain that goes between terminals at JFK. You definitely won't be able to walk from your baggage claim to theirs. If you took the Airtrain to meet them, you could take a cab together, but it won't be as simple as walking. The Airtrain is free, though.

There is an Airtrain that goes between terminals at JFK. You definitely won't be able to walk from your baggage claim to theirs. If you took the Airtrain to meet them, you could take a cab together, but it won't be as simple as walking. The Airtrain is free, though.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm assuming it's pretty easy to navigate?

I've only taken it from parking to terminal, not between terminals, but it should be manageable if you follow signs. If worse comes to worse, just ask someone to direct you.

I doubt you'll hit much traffic on Memorial Day Sunday in the AM, but in NYC you never know. It'll probably take you about an hour, but I'd leave about 45 min. to an hour earlier than that just to be safe. Better to be waiting and relaxing in the terminal looking at the ship than stressed while waiting in traffic looking at the inside of the Holland Tunnel.

Thanks! I'm thinking we'll leave by 9am at the latest as you suggest. The inside of the Holland Tunnel doesn't sound exciting! Wait, will it be the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel??

Thanks! I'm thinking we'll leave by 9am at the latest as you suggest. The inside of the Holland Tunnel doesn't sound exciting! Wait, will it be the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel??

Could be either. Lincoln puts you a bit closer to the terminal; less driving in Manhattan. Listen to traffic report on 880AM while you drive and choose the one with less.

I did exactly what you are describing a few years back when a friend and I came from different cities and met up at JFK. It was very easy to navigate and, as I recall, I believe there is some info about it on the JFK website (I think I prepped ahead of time with the terminal info she was arriving at.

There's plenty of signage so you shouldn't have any difficulty finding it. Just make sure you know what your destination is.

It was super easy. I was worried about the same thing before we got down there. There are traffic lights down there (I believe the West Side Highway ends and turns into 12th street around 55th St.), and you really can't miss the giant "Pier 88" sign. You'll have no problem finding it or crossing the street. You can walk a block down 48th and cross right there on the downtown-side corner. From there, just take the elevator or escalator to security and check in. If you want a quick bite to eat, there's a deli/market on the corner of 11th and 49th that will make you a good egg, cheese, and bacon/sausage on a NY Roll for $4. There's not much once you get in the terminal as others have said. It's a block out of the way, but it really hit the spot for me.

That's 12th Avenue. The West Side Highway becomes 12th Avenue at 56th Street. Stay to the right when you pass the 72nd Street exit. You'll see the ship from the highway.

That's 12th Avenue. The West Side Highway becomes 12th Avenue at 56th Street. Stay to the right when you pass the 72nd Street exit. You'll see the ship from the highway.

Yup. My bad. Typed too fast. Thanks for clarifying.

I used a car service for both drop off and pick up. No problem finding the town car. I just told them Pier 88, Berth 2, that's where our ship docked on the June 10 cruise. We had a lot of luggage, as well as a wheelchair and a walker which would not have all fit into the taxi's trunk and interior space. I commute on mass transit daily to NYC. I couldn't imagine taking it home from a cruise, even though I have a monthly pass.
Can you tell me what time you told the towncar to pick you up. Concerned about debarkation. Not knowing timing. Thank you

I used a car service for both drop off and pick up. No problem finding the town car. I just told them Pier 88, Berth 2, that's where our ship docked on the June 10 cruise. We had a lot of luggage, as well as a wheelchair and a walker which would not have all fit into the taxi's trunk and interior space. I commute on mass transit daily to NYC. I couldn't imagine taking it home from a cruise, even though I have a monthly pass.
Can you tell me what time you told the towncar to pick you up. Concerned about debarkation. Not knowing timing. Thank you

I didn't see which cruise you are on but we were on the Bahamas cruise in June, arriving back in NY on a Saturday. It seems like most people were off the ship by 9:15 (according the schedule we received). We were early seating for dinner and left the ship around 8:15AM (still had to get luggage, etc). My car service had us "penciled in" for like 10AM. He had me call him when we docked in NY. I think I called around 7:00AM so he sent the car to NY then. Then he had me call back when we were outside the terminal and that is when the car drove up to get us. They don't let the cars sit there so he basically said pick a spot and don't leave it because once the car comes by it takes a while to swing back around.

We are sailing Aug. 25. The car service said we would have to give them a time. I was curious what you did. Not familiar with debarkation in NYC. Thank you so much for the info.

We went on the 8 night Bahama cruise, and it still stings when I think about what we had to pay. $280? Yikes.

Any other budget, close, off-site places to park? Close enough to walk with the bags?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter