Ocean City, MD - Please help

MrsW

Earning My Ears
Hello - We are considering a long weekend in the Ocean City area in early September, assuming of course that it will be safe and appropriate to do so. It will be 3 adults, looking for a quiet beach stay. We are unfamiliar with this area, but chose it for the ease of driving from Arlington, VA. Ideally we will stay in a 2 bedroom condo, as close as possible to a beach. Can anyone who has been to Ocean City offer advice on specific places to stay or areas to look in. Thanks!

I prefer staying in the higher number streets further from the boardwalk, mostly 90th and up. But it depends on the vibe you're looking for. You do have to pay to park at the boardwalk now but it's not too crazy.

Ditto. I much prefer the higher numbers. The lower numbers (southern) are much busier and louder.

I agree with the others..you don't really want to be by the boardwalk. Check the OC MD website, ----https://ococean.com/
to see what events are scheduled for that time of the season. My guess is some will still be held, others won't be. We try to go after the Sunfest as we like it to be quieter, but we don't require a condo. We stay at the Quality Inn Ocean Front.

Lifelong OC/MD goer here.

I used to stay in the higher numbers (high rises, etc) but found that I don't care for it anymore. The beach is very densely packed there because of the occupancy of the taller buildings but with the same strip of beach to hold those people. The benefit there, though, is that you get newer construction, amenities such as a pool, and maybe a bigger condo.

What I really have found that I like is staying "mid-town." This is usually between 45th street up through 80th street. This housing was built before they allowed high rises so the buildings aren't overly tall and therefore, the beach is not as crowded and you get that "old beach town" feel that I really enjoy. Most condos in that area have all been renovated so it's not like you're in some old flophouse. They will all have central AC but not all will have elevators so there's that. I have family that now own places around 52nd street and 62nd street and it's really my preference.

Boardwalk area is very bustling but there has been a lot of new construction in that area too, just not oceanfront.

Last edited:
Stay away from Bike Week (motorcycle), usually in September. It is loud and crowded and traffic is terrible throughout the whole town

We always go to Wildwood and I have a friend who every year tells me to try Ocean City MD lol. He's done both.

He always stays at a Holiday Inn on the beach with his young son. Not sure which one but said he loves it.

Wow - great responses! Thanks so much. We know we don't care about being on the Boardwalk. Really we'd mostly like easy access to the beach. I'm not too excited about a high rise building, so perhaps I should focus on midtown. We also don't plan to utilize any amenities such as pools or fitness rooms. Under different circumstances we might consider a hotel, but I think this year we'll be more comfortable in our own space. It looks like we'd be ahead of bike week. Whew!

Wow - great responses! Thanks so much. We know we don't care about being on the Boardwalk. Really we'd mostly like easy access to the beach. I'm not too excited about a high rise building, so perhaps I should focus on midtown. We also don't plan to utilize any amenities such as pools or fitness rooms. Under different circumstances we might consider a hotel, but I think this year we'll be more comfortable in our own space. It looks like we'd be ahead of bike week. Whew!

I think you will love midtown. Just be very selective on finding a place. The one fault I have with OC/MD (and many beach towns for that matter) is that they charge you a LOT for a week's rental and then you go in and they haven't updated the beds since 1970 and the carpet is old, etc. It's really turned me off to renting. You can probably do well through VRBO with a lot of pictures. Oceanside is also good (and cheaper) than direct ocean front and is really just steps to the beach.

Hello - We are considering a long weekend in the Ocean City area in early September, assuming of course that it will be safe and appropriate to do so. It will be 3 adults, looking for a quiet beach stay. We are unfamiliar with this area, but chose it for the ease of driving from Arlington, VA. Ideally we will stay in a 2 bedroom condo, as close as possible to a beach. Can anyone who has been to Ocean City offer advice on specific places to stay or areas to look in. Thanks!

Because you emphasized a quiet beach stay, have you looked a little bit north at either Bethany or Rehobeth?. I find the Delaware beaches much quieter than Ocean City.

Lifelong OC/MD goer here.

I used to stay in the higher numbers (high rises, etc) but found that I don't care for it anymore. The beach is very densely packed there because of the occupancy of the taller buildings but with the same strip of beach to hold those people. The benefit there, though, is that you get newer construction, amenities such as a pool, and maybe a bigger condo.

What I really have found that I like is staying "mid-town." This is usually between 45th street up through 80th street. This housing was built before they allowed high rises so the buildings aren't overly tall and therefore, the beach is not as crowded and you get that "old beach town" feel that I really enjoy. Most condos in that area have all been renovated so it's not like you're in some old flophouse. They will all have central AC but not all will have elevators so there's that. I have family that now own places around 52nd street and 62nd street and it's really my preference.

Boardwalk area is very bustling but there has been a lot of new construction in that area too, just not oceanfront.

I'm talking about further north than that. Our condo is on 123rd st (sorry, OP, only one bedroom) so we are above the high rise section.

You will have a great time!!! I have been going to OC for 36 years, probably been 200 times and still look forward to it each time.

Agree with everyone on midtown, we moved from high number streets to midtown 4 years ago and will never go back.

Favorite restaurants are mothers cantina for Mexican, coins for crab cakes and liquid assets for charcuterie boards and drinks. Mothers has the best happy hour in OC in my opinion.

As others posted avoid bike week and H2Oi which is the last weekend of September, it’s a unsanctioned event that is organized on social media and it’s a nightmare. We got caught in it 2 years ago and it’s too much to type here but if your interested you can look up news and YouTube videos of it.

Have Fun!!!!

I hate driving while on vacation. The kids and I went last summer and we stayed at the end of the boardwalk, we had good food and entertainment options within walking distance and the beach wasn't as crowded as it is down toward the beginning of the boardwalk where the public parking is. We went in August and I guess we missed the crowds because I have tons of pictures of us by ourselves on the beach with no one within 10 feet on either side of us. The end of the boardwalk is 26th or 27th street.

Stay away from Bike Week (motorcycle), usually in September. It is loud and crowded and traffic is terrible throughout the whole town

Oh yeah - and those little supped up cars...there are a few different weekends per year when they do the car stuff...

Because you emphasized a quiet beach stay, have you looked a little bit north at either Bethany or Rehobeth?. I find the Delaware beaches much quieter than Ocean City.

I agree, Dewey, Lewes and Rehoboth might be a bit quieter. Admittedly, I'm from MD and not a OC fan, but Lewes and Dewey can be nice.
Another option might be St. Michaels/Oxford (or even Cambridge/Hoopers Island) area if you are looking for a 'laying low' type of trip.

Rehoboth is my favorite but it is more expensive, can't always get as close to the beach, and the supply is lower compared to OC. The supply, variety, and proximity to the beach is what OC has over the Delaware beaches but they have more charm and more of a small town beach feel.

I'm talking about further north than that. Our condo is on 123rd st (sorry, OP, only one bedroom) so we are above the high rise section.

I agree that's also a great area. In fact, I'm looking for rentals myself in that part of OC or Fenwick.

I hate driving while on vacation. The kids and I went last summer and we stayed at the end of the boardwalk, we had good food and entertainment options within walking distance and the beach wasn't as crowded as it is down toward the beginning of the boardwalk where the public parking is. We went in August and I guess we missed the crowds because I have tons of pictures of us by ourselves on the beach with no one within 10 feet on either side of us. The end of the boardwalk is 26th or 27th street.

One good thing about the boardwalk area is that the beach is much wider there than it is as the streets get higher numbers so that could be why you felt like you had more room on the beach. That really is a plus for staying at the boardwalk area. When I was *much* younger and we would stay down at the boardwalk (around 2nd street) it was just so cool to walk off the beach and go up on the boardwalk to grab a slice of pizza or snacks in the middle of the day.

Some of the wildest party scenes at Seacrets, Mackys, Fagers Island, BJs, Big Peckers, are right there in midtown and thus I believe why midtown is such a big draw. Ive seen on youtube where lines to get in these places wrap around a city block. But that was before the pandemic. Im sure its much more subdued now.

Some of the wildest party scenes at Seacrets, Mackys, Fagers Island, BJs, Big Peckers, are right there in midtown and thus I believe why midtown is such a big draw. Ive seen on youtube where lines to get in these places wrap around a city block. But that was before the pandemic. Im sure its much more subdued now.

My cousin's condo is basically right across Coastal Highway from Fager's and two blocks north. If you are on the oceanside and want "quiet" those places generally won't be a bother to you as some of the biggest ones sit on the bayside.

But yeah, Seacrets, is extremely popular and honestly it looks like a cesspool of germs in that water area. Uuugggh...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter