October 2011 Car Rental Rates

I made a few last minute checks to see if anything could beat the intermediate SUV I got at Budget for $295 for a nine-day rental Oct. 15-24.

No changes at Budget, but Alamo's rate (using Insider discount and the Visa discount AD2338FDF) dropped $100 from what I had been quoted before -- got a fullsize for $231 total for the same rental period. So I think I'm going with the fullsize.

At this rate, I think I'm done... I actually have to start packing; I'm leaving on Saturday!

After 2 long weeks of no changes on Alamo or National, I'm happy to report that my new lowest rate is at Alamo for $158 for a standard size car 10/15-10/24 :cool1:

Used insider code 7014667 and the $35 coupon AD2724FZA.

National is down to $238 with 5007160 and ND8434DJC.

Many thanks to n2mm for your post earlier about finding better rates!

Glad to see people getting lower rates. Looks like I'll have to wait 1 more week.

I made a few last minute checks to see if anything could beat the intermediate SUV I got at Budget for $295 for a nine-day rental Oct. 15-24.

No changes at Budget, but Alamo's rate (using Insider discount and the Visa discount AD2338FDF) dropped $100 from what I had been quoted before -- got a fullsize for $231 total for the same rental period. So I think I'm going with the fullsize.

At this rate, I think I'm done... I actually have to start packing; I'm leaving on Saturday!

I wanted to mention a couple of things. One, I was on the Alamo website this morning and punched in your dates, though I'm not sure of your times, and I think your rate dropped again. Also, you mentioned booking a full size. Wanted to make sure you know that you can book a standard size, but will get a full size. There is no standard size aisle at MCO, so you are sent to the full size aisle to choose. Many of us found out about this, but recently an employee confirmed it on the board. Did you notice Hurleysweety has the same dates as you, but getting a lower price....now that is strange. Good luck.

After 2 long weeks of no changes on Alamo or National, I'm happy to report that my new lowest rate is at Alamo for $158 for a standard size car 10/15-10/24 :cool1:

National is down to $238 with 5007160 and ND8434DJC.

Many thanks to n2mm for your post earlier about finding better rates!

You're welcome. I'm glad some of us got some decent deals. Of course we still have 3 more days to continue to watch, so it may get even better. I do get a better deal with Alamo, but I need my National credits to maintain my Executive Aisle status (40 rental credits a year--I'm currently at 33, so these 14 additional days will keep me in Executive status in 2012), so I'm willing to pay a little extra this time ($300 Alamo vs $343 National). While the Alamo rates have dropped again overnight, the National website is still quirky this morning. I have to admit though, National's rates then to change in the afternoon/evening, so it's always worth a second look.

Thanks for the tips, Waltsgirl!

I just re-entered my info and the rate went up $40. No surprise given the previous results. I'll try a few times later in the day.

On another point, have you used the Alamo kiosk to check in? Is that worthwhile, or are the waits for the kiosks the same as the counter?

Thanks.

Thanks for the tips, Waltsgirl!

I just re-entered my info and the rate went up $40. No surprise given the previous results. I'll try a few times later in the day.

On another point, have you used the Alamo kiosk to check in? Is that worthwhile, or are the waits for the kiosks the same as the counter?

Thanks.

Yes, we have used the kiosk several times. It is much easier to use. We were actually in line once and the manager was looking at reservations and then directing the folks to the under-used kiosks. It was much easier to use. I think using an upgrade coupon requires a counter visit, but a $$ coupon does not. I'm really surprised that your rate didn't drop. Did you try putting in hours and not 1/2 hours? Good luck. At least we'll be in WDW in just a few days, now if the weather would only cooperate with us.

Just dropped another $14 on my reservation.

10/14-10/22 on Alamo, Standard using the Insider 20% code and $35 coupon I am now down to $130.49!

Just booked with this code. Then I went back to Costco and using Costco codes, same reservation period is all-in $3 cheaper than with the insider code.

One thing I like about Costco coded reservations is the confirmation screen/email explicitly has a line item for an additional driver included.

Base Rate - Midsize (USD)
(1) Week Rate ($174.11/week) $174.11
(1) Day Rate ($24.87/day) $24.87
(2) Hour Rate ($8.29/hour) $16.58

Contract I.D. 7015309
Guaranteed Base Rate Included
(1) Additional Driver Included
Unlimited Miles Included

Subtotal.............................................$215.56

Discounts
Discount ($32.33)
Costco May 2010 Campaign ($30.00)

Subtotal............................................($62.33)

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees
Customer Facility Charge 2.50/day $12.50
Airport Access Fee 10 % $15.94
Tire/battery Fee .02/day $0.18
Florida Surcharge 2.00/day $18.00
Vehicle License Fee .69/day $6.21
Sales Tax (6.50%) $13.39

Subtotal..............................................$66.22

Estimated Total......................................$219.45

Oct. 15- 22 Full Size $156.89
Used insider code 7014667 and the $35 coupon AD2724FZA

Thanks for the heads up on the rate drops!

You're welcome. I'm glad some of us got some decent deals. Of course we still have 3 more days to continue to watch, so it may get even better. I do get a better deal with Alamo, but I need my National credits to maintain my Executive Aisle status (40 rental credits a year--I'm currently at 33, so these 14 additional days will keep me in Executive status in 2012), so I'm willing to pay a little extra this time ($300 Alamo vs $343 National). While the Alamo rates have dropped again overnight, the National website is still quirky this morning. I have to admit though, National's rates then to change in the afternoon/evening, so it's always worth a second look.

National dropped $20 for me this morning ($218 for emerald aisle)! Probably still won't use it, though. I have been an Emerald Club member for about 2 years and never had the chance to use it (Alamo has always came out more than $50 cheaper).

I just an email from Alamo and followed the link.

It automatically put in Contract ID 7014667 for me and then I used coupon ID AD2724FZA for $35 off. This contract ID gave me a rate of $109/wk. My dates are 10/16-23/11)

HTH

You might be able to save a few more dollars by changing to a standard. Alamo doesn't have a standard row at MCO so you will automatically be upgraded to a full size!

You might be able to save a few more dollars by changing to a standard. Alamo doesn't have a standard row at MCO so you will automatically be upgraded to a full size!

Thanks! - though I couldn't accidently get a midsize could I? Those are priced inbetween the standard and fullsize even though it looks like they are a smaller car. We have a lot of luggage and stuff!

Thanks! - though I couldn't accidently get a midsize could I? Those are priced inbetween the standard and fullsize even though it looks like they are a smaller car. We have a lot of luggage and stuff!

No, a midsize is below a standard car. (mid-size/standard/fullsize). Since there is no standard aisle to select from you will be sent to the fullsize aisle to choose from. Some times the larger cars are cheaper because during the "last minute" sales, there are more of them to offer. Looks like some of getting pretty good deals. I did see Alamo and National having some additional drops today. Lets hope it continues for the next several days. If I was to choose a mid-size car on Alamo, it's now coming in at $263 for a full 2 week rental all taxes included. But I'm still sticking with my National at $343 to maintain my status--I'm still thrilled that my rate dropped yesterday from $500 to $343! I don't care if it doesn't drop again at this point--but of course I'll be watching and willing to change if it does! Between the rates dropping here, and my airfare for January dropping this morning netting me another $18, I'm on a roll!

No, a midsize is below a standard car. (mid-size/standard/fullsize). ...Between the rates dropping here, and my airfare for January dropping this morning netting me another $18, I'm on a roll!

Awesome - thanks so much for the information. And I'm glad to hear that you're having good luck with your rates, too!

Darn, I tried the same codes and am still getting a rate over $300 for a standard 10/19-10/27 :sad2:

My dates are October 28th - November 4th and I found a rate for $201 for a midsize. You all are giving me hope that there's still time for a better deal. So far, what I have seems to be it, but I'll keep checking.

Just snagged a great rate with Dollar.
Last week of October, Full size for $115.47 a week. Used NO codes what so ever, just typed in my dates, and a "city special" tab was listed in the car selection. Clicked on it, and a had about 3-4 car sizes to pick from. Full Size was the best value, so I reserved it. I actually needed a 9 day reservation so adding 2 more days brought me up to $147.37. Still a great deal. Think I will keep this one since we leave next week !:banana::cool1:
It will be comforting to not have to worry about a "questionable" code.

Just noticed in the confirmation e-mail that the automatic "city special" generated codes are.......
Promo code : 347
Rate code : R4WW8

This is for Orlando, MCO.

HTH,
Syndrome

Keep checking Alamo, rates are dropping for the end of the month. I've been waiting for weeks to see some movement and finally in the last few days it's dropped each day. Saved another $30+ this morning. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter