• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Official 2009 College Football Discussion Thread

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
There was a good college football discussion thread here on the camping community board for last year's football season.

If I recall correctly, there were 'Cane fans, Bama fans, Auburn fans, and others who joined in. I think there might have even been some brave Big Ten Conference fans who posted on occasion.

So, let's give it a whirl for 2009!

The TCD gang made it to Gainesville on Saturday to see the defending national champions open their season. The Gators sure look good this year.

There were some great games and surprises and disappointments this past weekend.

Both Miami and FSU look better than I expected them too. They played a great game last night. Miami's sophomore quarterback sure played great. And, what a cool customer he is.

I saw a bit of the Cincinnati/Rutgers game. Cincinnati looks great. Rutgers looks awful.

Too bad for Oklahoma. But, it sounds like Bradford will be back in a few weeks.

How about the player from Oregon who got suspended for the season? Does he deserve it?

How about the Ohio State QB wearing a tribute to Michael Vick on his eye black? Was that a good idea?

How did your team do?

Let's talk college football!

TCD

Middle Tennessee division of the Gator Nation checking in here, TCD! So far so good....I was really worried about Charleston Southern. Glad it all worked out ok, and happy to hear you were there. Without your cheering it could have been a different outcome. ;)

Now let's get past Troy and then the REAL FUN begins...SEC action! hope my local boys from TN learn a lesson or two!

South Florida Bulls looked pretty good!

Here's a big War Eagle to add to the list :-)

As a matter of fact, the entire SEC had a good day on Saturday.

Middle Tennessee division of the Gator Nation checking in here, TCD! So far so good....I was really worried about Charleston Southern. Glad it all worked out ok, and happy to hear you were there. Without your cheering it could have been a different outcome. ;)

Now let's get past Troy and then the REAL FUN begins...SEC action! hope my local boys from TN learn a lesson or two!

Dave- Somehow it escaped me that you are a Gator fan! And, from Tennessee, no less. I am a little ashamed of the Gator's schedule this year. But, what can you do? BTW- I have some photos from the game that I will be posting. One of the DD's met Tebow (sort of) at the Gator Walk. Fun times.

South Florida Bulls looked pretty good!

Oh, a USF fan! From Georgia, no less! It looks like I will be in Tallahassee on 9/26 to see USF play FSU. That should be a good game, no?

Here's a big War Eagle to add to the list :-)

As a matter of fact, the entire SEC had a good day on Saturday.

OK, we have the War Eagles/Tigers checking in. (no comment on the two mascots :confused3 ).

Carol, it wasn't quite the entire SEC that did well over the weekend. We have this team called Georgia over here in the SEC east. They didn't play so hot. And, they get to meet up with their old buddy Steve Spurrier this weekend. That should be an interesting match up!

TCD

Oh, a USF fan! From Georgia, no less! It looks like I will be in Tallahassee on 9/26 to see USF play FSU. That should be a good game, no?

Well, yes I am. DW and I went there before they even had football. I grew up a Gator fan, so you know who I will be doubly rooting for in that game.

Yes Carol, Good day for most of the SEC except UGA. Looks like oldest DS will be going there next year so that may now have to become my SEC team. GaTech is my ACC team.

Yep TCD, I attended UF back in the 80's (notice I didn't say "graduated"...that's another story!). I'm not originally from TN, so have no allegiance to the local teams here. For me, it's Gators on the college side and Buffalo Bills on the pro side (although I use the term "pro" loosely when referring to my Bills!)

Yep TCD, I attended UF back in the 80's (notice I didn't say "graduated"...that's another story!). I'm not originally from TN, so have no allegiance to the local teams here. For me, it's Gators on the college side and Buffalo Bills on the pro side (although I use the term "pro" loosely when referring to my Bills!)

The 80's, really?

Charley Pell or Galen Hall?

TCD

(It was Charley Pell for me, all the way- not much to cheer for in those days)

Since I'm a good Texas Aggie I'm optomistic about the 2009 season and won't complain anymore about last year's 4W and 8L.

We have been guaranteed a bowl spot this year...

Home team in The Toilet Bowl sponsored by Mr. Clean...

:thumbsup2 Gig 'em Ags!

Another bulls backer here! I was at Fort Wilderness on Sat. night listening to the game on AM radio in the camper. My oldest attends USF & was at Ray Jay for the game. I'm a bulliever!

The 80's, really?

Charley Pell or Galen Hall?

TCD

(It was Charley Pell for me, all the way- not much to cheer for in those days)
Galen Hall for me. Only highlight was being there for Emmitt's freshman year in 87. A typical offensive series that year consisted of Emmitt right, Emmitt left, Emmitt up the middle, punt. Times have sure changed in Gainesville!

Ah hem (clearing throat) Auburn does not have two mascots, and never has. War Eagle is a battle cry. The eagle (this week it was a bald eagle by the name of Spirit, which flew for over 1 full minute in glorious flight before the game) battle cry dates back to the Civil War and the first game between Auburn and Georgia. We are the Tigers. So, instead of using the greeting "Go Gators", like the reptilians do, we say "War Eagle."

Our offense looked much better than I had expected and I really was impressed with second half adjustments made by the new coaching staff. Converting to man coverage from zone really exposed La Tech's weaknesses. I am curious to see more of the "Wildcat" formations in the coming game against MSU.

As for the OU's guy who was suspended for the season. I think something along the same line should have been done to the taunter as well. It takes 2 to tango.

As for the OU's guy who was suspended for the season. I think something along the same line should have been done to the taunter as well. It takes 2 to tango.

I agree. I was curious how it was wrong for one player to make an aggressive contact, but OK for the other one. :confused3

I knew an Auburn fan would clear up my misstatement about Auburn having two mascots. The Eagle is not a mascot. OK, got it. It's a battle cry. It looks like an eagle to me. But, I guess you have to be there.

Anyhow, I promised some photos from the Gators first game, and here they are!

First, we start with the Gator Walk. Urban Meyer started this new tradition when he came to Gainesville. Two hours before the start of each home game, the Gators walk into the stadium. This is great for fans, because if you show up, you get to see all the players and coaches. Fun.

On this trip, it was just one of the TCD twins and I. My oldest DD is at school at FSU, and the other TCD twin decided that this was not her scene. We planned this trip at the very last minute, and headed to Gainesville without tickets. Tickets should be easy to come by for Charleston Southern, right?

So, here is my DD waiting for the Gator Walk to begin. We got there early, and she got a prime spot right next to a police car. You are supposed to wait behind the police cars until they close the road and the Gator Walk begins. As you can see, after she got her prime spot, a bunch of folks came and stood in front of her, where they were not supposed to be. But, don't worry, this girl has been to a lot of Jonas Brother concerts. She has dealt with rabid teen girls clawing to get to the front of general admission audiences. These middle aged Gator fans are no match for her:

UF90509001.jpg

As soon as the road is closed, the police officers line the walk route, and folks are now allowed to come forward. You can see that DD has made it to the front:

UF90509004.jpg

The Gainesville police department gained some notoriety a few years back with the "Don't taze me, Bro!" incident, but these guys were very cordial. There were a lot of them, though:

UF90509005.jpg

See the guy in the Smokey the Bear hat? A guy behind me was commenting (a little too loudly) about the resemblance between this guy and the Sheriff portrayed by Jackie Gleason in the Smokey and the Bandit movies. That cracked me up! He was right! But, he was saying it a little too loudly! Also notice how these guys have my DD sized up as a trouble maker. One of them positioned himself right in front of her, so he could taze her, if needed.

Right away, the procession starts. Here come some players:

UF90509007.jpg

I wish I could tell you who these guys were, but it turns out that without their uniforms and jersey numbers, it is hard to tell one player from the next. They looked like a bunch of clean cut college students. If I was still college aged, I would put on a shirt and tie, and jump in the Gator Walk. That would be funny, right?

Here's a face I recognize. Coach Meyer! He has brought two National Championships to Gainesville, and is on track for a third!:

UF90509013.jpg

This is the Gator Defensive Coordinator, Charley Strong:

UF90509032.jpg

I don't know who this player is, but the guy behind me did, and called his name. I think he's somebody important:

UF90509036.jpg

I don't know this guy either, but check out the 'fro on this man. Looks like it is shaped perfectly to fit into a helmet! Heck, if he painted it orange, he might not even need a helmet:

UF90509047.jpg

Check out this player's watch:

UF90509052.jpg

Bling!

I am not sure who this player is, but in this photo we get a good look at Smokey. I have to LOL at this photo- if his moustache was just a little thinner, he would be a dead ringer for the Bandit's nemesis:

UF90509053.jpg

Here's someone that we can all recognize. The best college football player in America, and maybe of all time:

UF90509055.jpg

UF90509056.jpg

UF90509057.jpg

I had positioned myself across the street from my DD at the Gator Walk, because I hoped to be able to get a photo of her with Timmy. But, as you can see, things were a bit hectic when Timmy came by. My DD did get to grab Timmy's arm, though. We will try again for a photo another time.

Tebow brought up the rear of the Gator Walk, and then we were off to tailgate.

Those of you who attended UF in the '80's will surely remember these guys:

UF90509060.jpg

UF90509061.jpg

As I mentioned, we did not yet have tickets for the game, so we stood outside the West part of the stadium trying to buy tickets:

UF90509062.jpg

Earlier in the day, I saw lots of folks trying to sell tickets, and I thought we would have no problem getting a couple. But, as game time approached, we saw way more people looking for tickets than we did people trying to sell tickets. We were approached by several sellers, but they all were trying to get over face value, or they had bad seats. My DD was getting more and more anxious as I turned down the potential sellers. Don't worry, I told her, as the start of the game approaches, the sellers will get nervous, and we will get a good deal. Game time was at 7 pm. At 7 pm we were still standing outside the stadium. Along with a bunch of other folks holding up their fingers. Uh-Oh!

We stood there as a huge vintage jet flew over the stadium. We stood there as we heard the crowd cheer the beginning of the game. We looked far and wide. No one was trying to sell tickets. No problem, I thought, we will walk around the stadium, and find ourselves a ticket seller. So, we walked all the way around the stadium. And, we didn't see anyone trying to sell tickets. Uh-Oh again!

But, oddly enough, a ticket window on the West side of the stadium was open, and it looked like people were buying tickets. We walked up, and they were selling tickets! I am not sure what this was about. I think they didn't open this window until after the game started. So, I bought some tickets. I figured they would be bad seats. But, at least we would get in to see the game.

So, well into the first quarter, we found our seats. We were on the student side of the field, at about the 40 yard line, about 50 rows up! This was our view:

UF90509072.jpg

Those were some good seats! I don't know what the deal was, but I am glad we got them.

There is a new score board in the South end zone:

UF90509079.jpg

Also, notice how they left room to add a 2009 next to the 2008:

UF90509082.jpg

Here is our view of the North end zone:

UF90509084.jpg

UF90509087.jpg

And, check out all the people sitting behind us:

UF90509090.jpg

In Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, the drink sellers are called Thirst Technicians:

UF90509098.jpg

I would love to have one of those shirts.

The game was a mismatch, and Timmy didn't even play the whole first half, but we had a good time.

After the game, the players gathered together in the middle of the field for a prayer. This always impresses me, and it bothers me that they never show this on TV:

UF90509108.jpg

We stayed for the singing of the Alma Mater in the North end zone:

UF90509117.jpg

And, then we were out of there.

I hope to get to at least one more game this year.

Go Gators!

War Tebow! (that's a battle cry) (?)

TCD

Wow TCD, as usual, great pictures! I grew up in FL and I've been to many Gator games at BHG Stadium, but living right outside of Knoxville for the last 16 years, I've been to many Vols games at Neyland. I LOVE college football, especially SEC games. I know this is hard to believe, but when TN and FL play, I am happy with whoever wins. As a homeschool mom, I am crazy about Tim Tebow. What a fine, christian young man he is....a true role model!

It's been years since I have been to Gainesville. I got my AA at Santa Fe Community College and then transferrred to UT. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Oh and I don't remember the Hare Krishnas from the 80's...I was just a kid then:cutie:, but I vividly remember them from the early
90's. Gainesville was a culture shock for this girl who grew up with a party phone line and lived down a 3 mile dirt road!

Sorry, I got a little nostalgic, now back to football.

Two Bits, Four Bits, Six Bits, a Dollar.....all for the Gators, stand up and holler!!

Great pics, TCD!

Wow TCD, as usual, great pictures! I grew up in FL and I've been to many Gator games at BHG Stadium, but living right outside of Knoxville for the last 16 years, I've been to many Vols games at Neyland. I LOVE college football, especially SEC games. I know this is hard to believe, but when TN and FL play, I am happy with whoever wins. As a homeschool mom, I am crazy about Tim Tebow. What a fine, christian young man he is....a true role model!

It's been years since I have been to Gainesville. I got my AA at Santa Fe Community College and then transferrred to UT. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Oh and I don't remember the Hare Krishnas from the 80's...I was just a kid then:cutie:, but I vividly remember them from the early
90's. Gainesville was a culture shock for this girl who grew up with a party phone line and lived down a 3 mile dirt road!

Sorry, I got a little nostalgic, now back to football.

I think Tim Tebow is great, too. It seems like he has rubbed off on others as well, which is an amazing thing considering he is such a young man. I don't know if this link will still work, but ESPN did a feature on the relationship between Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer that I thought was great:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4025219

Where in Florida did you live down a 3 mile dirt road?

Two Bits, Four Bits, Six Bits, a Dollar.....all for the Gators, stand up and holler!!

Great pics, TCD!

Thanks, Dave. I don't know if you know, but Mr. Two-Bits retired last year (again). He was at Saturday's game, though, because he was recognized for having been a Bull Gator for 10 years. We missed the opening festivities, but I believe Albert was wearing a yellow shirt and striped tie for some of the pre-game cheers.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter