Official 2009 College Football Discussion Thread

TCD....you missed your calling as a photo-journalist!! I'm not a Gator fan, nor a big fan of any college team cause SUNY Buffalo had no football team when I was there. I guess my allegience would have to be with the USF Bulls because they are the closest university to where I live. (Uh....I don't think Kaiser U counts).

Anyhow TCD - great coverage!! Gator fans IMHO have to be the most loyal fans of all. It's like mass hypnosis!! AND - - - your daughter has the most contagious smile! What a cutie!!

Albert has "officially" replaced Mr. Two Bits, as of the Citadel game last year, when George was given the key to the city. We met Mr. Two Bits in the mens room at the Championship Game last year. My son got a picture with him and I shook his hand, but then quickly washed mine.

University of Illinois fan here. Yeah, I know what Mo. did to us. It didnt bother me too bad because Im a Cubs and Bears fan also. Just a normall season to us. Oh well, theres always basketball. But you just wait till next year.

Ga BullDog fan here......We did not play so hot (no we Stunk)......And we play South Carolina.....:scared1:Well atleast this year we did not start with a fluff team...Go Dogs!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I think Tim Tebow is great, too. It seems like he has rubbed off on others as well, which is an amazing thing considering he is such a young man. I don't know if this link will still work, but ESPN did a feature on the relationship between Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer that I thought was great:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4025219

Where in Florida did you live down a 3 mile dirt road?

Thanks, Dave. I don't know if you know, but Mr. Two-Bits retired last year (again). He was at Saturday's game, though, because he was recognized for having been a Bull Gator for 10 years. We missed the opening festivities, but I believe Albert was wearing a yellow shirt and striped tie for some of the pre-game cheers.

TCD

I grew up in a little town called Glen St. Mary. It's between Lake City and Jacksonville. It sure has grown since I moved away. Heck, you can drive a few short miles to Macclenny, the next town over, and they have a Wal-Mart Supercenter now!

Oh Mr. Two-Bits...I remember him too.

Albert has "officially" replaced Mr. Two Bits, as of the Citadel game last year, when George was given the key to the city. We met Mr. Two Bits in the mens room at the Championship Game last year. My son got a picture with him and I shook his hand, but then quickly washed mine.

" . . . but then quickly washed mine." :rotfl2:

You are a funny man, Gatordad!

University of Illinois fan here. Yeah, I know what Mo. did to us. It didnt bother me too bad because Im a Cubs and Bears fan also. Just a normall season to us. Oh well, theres always basketball. But you just wait till next year.

Oh! You inherited Ron Zook from the Gators. Sorry about that.

Ga BullDog fan here......We did not play so hot (no we Stunk)......And we play South Carolina.....:scared1:Well atleast this year we did not start with a fluff team...Go Dogs!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I am looking forward to this weekend's game. Georgia surely can beat South Carolina. Can't it?

I grew up in a little town called Glen St. Mary. It's between Lake City and Jacksonville. It sure has grown since I moved away. Heck, you can drive a few short miles to Macclenny, the next town over, and they have a Wal-Mart Supercenter now!

Oh Mr. Two-Bits...I remember him too.

Wow, that is in the sticks! I think I have driven through that area on my way to Jax. It's pretty, but there isn't much around. It always amazes me how big Florida is, and how much of it is still very rural.

Now, back to the Smokey that was guarding Tebow.

Here he is again:

UF90509053.jpg

And here is Sheriff Buford T. Justice:

gleason203.jpg

I was pretty sure that Jackie Gleason was dead, but I googled him just to be sure. He allegedly died on June 24, 1987 (that surprised me- I didn't know it had been that long ago), but after seeing this guy in Gainesville, I am thinking that Jackie may have faked his death (just like Elvis).

TCD

The resemblance is certainly uncanny. I wonder how many times he's been told he looks like Sheriff Buford T. Justice? Like you, I think if he thinned that 'stache a little, he'd be a dead ringer!

And he certainly looks like he's "in hot pursuit!". Was there by any chance a truck full of Coors parked nearby??

And he certainly looks like he's "in hot pursuit!". Was there by any chance a truck full of Coors parked nearby??

LOL :rotfl2:, Dave!

I forgot that the whole premise of Smokey and the Bandit was the Bandit's smuggling Coors east of the Mississippi. I forgot that you couldn't get Coor's in the east back in those days. I remember that someone would occasionally smuggle a six pack back, and how my friends and I used to think it was the best beer ever. And then they began to sell it legally, and no one cared.

Speaking of Sheriff Buford T. Justice. Here are some memorable quotes.

From Smokey and the Bandit:

Buford T. Justice: What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Branford: The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.
Buford T. Justice: The g.d. Germans got nothin' to do with it.

From Smokey and the Bandit II:

Junior: You know, Daddy, I like this place. All the 'gators and snakes and stuff. Why don't we move down here?
Buford T. Justice: Why don't YOU move down here?
Junior: Oh no, Daddy, I ain't NEVER leavin' home, that's a promise.
Buford T. Justice: Don't you ever, EVER threaten yo' daddy like that again!

You have to admit, that's some funny stuff!

War Sheriff Buford T. Justice!

TCD

Sheriff Branford: The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.
Buford T. Justice: The g.d. Germans got nothin' to do with it.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Classic stuff! We watched Smokey and the Bandit a year or so ago when it was on TV. I remembered watching it as a kid, so let my girls watch with me. Wow, I'd forgotten how non-PC some of those 70's movies were! i mean, I was laughing my **** off, but was a bit leery of the kids seeing some of that stuff!

And isn't it funny that it took only a page and a half to veer off the topic of college football? i'm just surprised we haven't discussed beer yet.....oh scratch that, I forgot about the Coors! :rotfl2:

Ok, back on topic. It looks like Florida has a 36 1/2 pt spread on Troy. Seems about right! I think Troy is a far better team than Charleston Southern, but this one shouldn't be close.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Classic stuff! We watched Smokey and the Bandit a year or so ago when it was on TV. I remembered watching it as a kid, so let my girls watch with me. Wow, I'd forgotten how non-PC some of those 70's movies were! i mean, I was laughing my **** off, but was a bit leery of the kids seeing some of that stuff!

And isn't it funny that it took only a page and a half to veer off the topic of college football? i'm just surprised we haven't discussed beer yet.....oh scratch that, I forgot about the Coors! :rotfl2:

Ok, back on topic. It looks like Florida has a 36 1/2 pt spread on Troy. Seems about right! I think Troy is a far better team than Charleston Southern, but this one shouldn't be close.

I know what you mean, Dave. I must have watched Smokey and the Bandit on TV again the same time you did. I remember thinking that this really is a pretty bad movie. But, it did have its moments of brilliance.

Back on topic -

I can't deny that the Gators scheduled three cupcakes for their first three games. First Charleston Southern, Troy this week, and then next the easiest game of all, Tennessee next week.

Speaking of Tennessee, I am interested in seeing the Tennessee/UCLA match up tomorrow night. I do hope that Tennessee represents the S.E.C. well.

How about Auburn and M.S.U.? What do you Tigers/(Eagles?) have to say about that match-up? How is Auburn's new coach working out?

How about Georgia v. S.C.? Will Richt put a beat down on Spurrier? Or will Spurrier tweak the Dawgs again?

And, outside the S.E.C., how about Ohio State v. U.S.C.? Does Ohio State have a chance? When is the last time they beat a top five team?

And, again speaking of Tennessee, and so that we can all share some common ground, how about some Tennessee jokes?:

A man walks into a store and says, “I would like a orange hat, orange pants, orange sweater, and white shoes.” The clerk says, “are you a Vol fan?” “Yes replies the man, “How did you guess—by the color combination?” “No,” answers the clerk, because this is a hardware store.

Q: Why do the Tennessee Vol fans wear orange and white?

A: They can wear it to the game on Saturday…They can wear it

hunting on Sunday…and they can wear it to work on Monday

when they’re picking up garbage at the roadside!

War Sheriff Buford T. Justice

TCD

Hey, did anyone see the GaTech/Clemson game last night. Pretty good game right up till the end. Tech pulled it out 30-27

Hey, did anyone see the GaTech/Clemson game last night. Pretty good game right up till the end. Tech pulled it out 30-27

I watched the first half and Georgia Tech was up by 24 points at half time.

I switched over to the Titans/Steelers game.

Then, I checked back on the Georgia Tech game and saw that Clemson had tied it up, and then took the lead in the 4th! Whoa! Georgia Tech did pull it out, but only because Clemson got called for a bogus holding penalty on their last drive. Georgia Tech was lucky that they didn't lose that game. But they did win, and that is all that matters in the end.

I ended up being more impressed by Clemson than Georgia Tech. The Georgia Tech/Miami game has just become more interesting to me.

TCD

I switched over to the Titans/Steelers game.

Man, was that a hard hitting game!

I've attended Alabama, Texas, and University at Buffal, and the kids went to Syracuse and University at Buffalo. My fave college team is still Texas though. But Buffalo is starting to get pretty good - beat UTEP last week but got creamed by Pitt this week. Oh well.

Ga Wins.....by a bulldogs nose...what happened to defense.....:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

The Crimson Tide started out slow last night but poured it on in the second half. I hope Bama can make its way through the season and get another crack at Florida. I respect Tebow and the way they play and would like another chance to tug at Superman's cape.

BTW, with Notre Dame and Tennessee losing yesterday, things were looking pretty nice if you're a Bama fan. :happytv:

Bama ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter