Official 2010 College Football Discussion Thread

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
The 2010 College Football season starts exactly three weeks from today, with several games set for Thursday, September 2.

The pre-season USA Today Coach's Poll came out last week, with the top 25 teams ranked as follows:

1. Alabama (55)

2. Ohio State (4)

3. Florida

4. Texas

5. Boise State

6. Virginia Tech

7. TCU

8. Oklahoma

9. Nebraska

10. Iowa

11. Oregon

12. Wisconsin

13. Miami (Fla.)

14. Penn State

15. Pittsburgh

16. LSU

17. Georgia Tech

18. North Carolina

19. Arkansas

20. Florida State

21. Georgia

22. Oregon State

23. Auburn

24t. Utah

24t. West Virginia

The State of Florida has three teams in the top 25.

The SEC is well represented, again.

We have some teams with new coaches.

Like Tennessee.

and South Florida.

It should be an interesting season.

I don't see any real interesting games set for the first week, but there are some great match ups set for the next Saturday, September 11. Like:

Ohio State at Miami
Florida State at Oklahoma
Penn State at Alabama
USF at Florida

And, then there's that little game in early October when the Gators travel to Bama. . .

So, how's your team going to do this year?

I say my team, the Gators, will do well. But, I am going to miss Timmy.

Who is over-ranked?

Boise State.

Definitely.

Who is under-ranked?

All of the SEC teams!

Let the discussion begin !!!

TCD

OK, I forgot something in my first post.

I am hearing buzz down here that Cameron Newton is going to be Auburn's starting quarterback this year?

We have quite a few Auburn fans around here.

Is this true?

I was really sorry to see Cam Newton booted from UF.

I think he is a talented young man.

Who did a real dumb thing.

I believe in second chances.

It will be interesting to see how he plays for the War Eagles.

(I know you're not War Eagles, but I am trying to get the discussion started).

TCD

Dumb question but...

What are the numbers in () by Alabama and Ohio State?

That's how many first place votes each team received among the voters. So apparently there were 59 voters for the preseason poll.

TCD,

As a long-time Bama fan I naturally favor us to repeat but history shows that repeats are very difficult and rare. So time will tell.

Last year I railed on Lane Tiffen and Charlie Weiss and history proves I had good reasons to do so. This year I would say the heat is on two coaches in the SEC this year but one gets a pass: Mark Richt at Georgia gets a pass because of the AD situation. A temporary AD will not want the responsibility of firing the football coach if he turns in yet another weak performance and the timetable to replace Damon Evans doesn't sound to be on the fast track. So Richt may get another year.

TCD, I'm surprised you don't think the LSU-North Carolina game the first weekend is a good game to keep your eye on. My second coach on the hot seat and in the spotlight is Les "The Hat" Miles. Louisiana is such a talent-rich state in high school football and LSU has no in-state competition for talent. LSU has underperformed lately (8-8 in conference the last two years) and I attribute that to coaching. The LSU-NC game is at the Georgia Dome (the people that do the post-season Chick Filet bowl put it on) and the tickets are split 50-50. Bama played in it the last two years against Clemson and Va. Tech (I went to the Clemson game and it was electric). NC had a weak offense last year but an outstanding defense. It will be interesting to see how that one turns out.

What I'm interested in this season is to see who emerges in September behind Bama and Florida. Arkansas, LSU, Georgia, and South Carolina are the ones I'm watching. LSU plays NC, Miss State, and West Virginia as major games that month; Ark plays Georgia and Alabama; Georgia plays South Carolina, Ark, and Mississippi State; and South Carolina plays Georgia and Auburn. I'm not so much concerned in these match-ups about wins and losses as much as how hard they play and compete as to how the rest of the season goes. I'm hoping (just gut) that South Carolina emerges from this group-the Lattimore kid (freshman running back) is very talented and Garcia is a 3rd year starter so fer cryin' out loud this could be the year. I also think Mullen has Mississippi State improving so I expect them to knock off someone unexpectedly.

Timmy is gone from your Gators but Brantley should be a good QB. I liked Tim but that crying bit at the SEC Conf Game was a bit much. But the Gators whacked Cincy in the bowl game so they did good. They'll have to find a running back to provide some balance to the passing game this year. What do you think about the Jimbo Fisher era starting with the Seminoles? I recall you posted some pix from a Seminole game last year. Going to Oklahoma in week 2 will be tough.

Should be an interesting season again. I look forward to it.

Roll Tide!

PS-because I know Auburn fans are reading this thread I am pulling for them to beat Kentucky this year, just so you know. This could be the year they pull that off.

PPS-Bama isn't perfect either. On the season ticket package I got the Miss St. ticket only has one "P" in "Mississippi" as the opponent. Oh well......

Bama ED

Still an Illini fan. :confused3 Still waiting for basketball. :woohoo: Oh well, I still have my Cubs right? :sad2:

Thanks, Deb. That is funny. And very accurate. I listen to sports radio in the car, and Gator Fan is not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That's how many first place votes each team received among the voters. So apparently there were 59 voters for the preseason poll.

Correct. So, we know Sweater Vest voted for his team. Who were the other three numb-nuts? Big Ten coaches, no doubt. Ohio State ranked over Alabama? Really? I hope Miami stomps the sweater vest!

TCD, I'm surprised you don't think the LSU-North Carolina game the first weekend is a good game to keep your eye on. My second coach on the hot seat and in the spotlight is Les "The Hat" Miles. Louisiana is such a talent-rich state in high school football and LSU has no in-state competition for talent. LSU has underperformed lately (8-8 in conference the last two years) and I attribute that to coaching. The LSU-NC game is at the Georgia Dome (the people that do the post-season Chick Filet bowl put it on) and the tickets are split 50-50. Bama played in it the last two years against Clemson and Va. Tech (I went to the Clemson game and it was electric). NC had a weak offense last year but an outstanding defense. It will be interesting to see how that one turns out.

Bama Ed- Thanks, for a great and insightful post! Yes, I did overlook the LSU v. NC game. I agree with you about Miles. He had better get it going this year. I expect that he will, and I expect to see LSU stomp NC.

And, yes, I will be in Tallahassee several Saturdays this Fall. I plan on being at the opening game. It will be interesting to see how FSU performs this year with Bobby gone. I think they will do well. We shall see.

War Damn Brantley!!!!

:thumbsup2

Still an Illini fan. :confused3 Still waiting for basketball. :woohoo: Oh well, I still have my Cubs right? :sad2:

War Damn Ron Zook!

TCD

Correct. So, we know Sweater Vest voted for his team. Who were the other three numb-nuts? Big Ten coaches, no doubt. Ohio State ranked over Alabama? Really? I hope Miami stomps the sweater vest!

The Nick-tator said he voted for the Buckeyes as #1. I guess he didn't want his own team to rest on their laurels.

Bama ED

OK, I forgot something in my first post.

I am hearing buzz down here that Cameron Newton is going to be Auburn's starting quarterback this year?

We have quite a few Auburn fans around here.

Is this true?

I was really sorry to see Cam Newton booted from UF.

I think he is a talented young man.

Who did a real dumb thing.

I believe in second chances.

It will be interesting to see how he plays for the War Eagles.

(I know you're not War Eagles, but I am trying to get the discussion started).

TCD

Yes, Cam Newton is the starting QB for Auburn, and yes, he has earned a second chance and done very well for himself. Since y'all want to be ignorant, I will start calling Alabama the Roll Tides and Florida the Two Bits and Arkansas the Sooeeee Pigs. Here is the link to WHY we are not called the War Eagles, ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle

If you are interested in how Cam Newton is doing, I suggest you go to www.al.com and check in on how both the Roll Tides and Auburn are doing in their practices. There are lots of biased opinions on both sides of the coin there.

Spelling is not a requirement in the Athletics Department at UAT
At least AL took the blame for the spelling and is it a wonder with a graduation rate of 67%?
No snickering though Jen, Auburn 59%.
On the other hand my team, not my school, I was too stupid for college and regular high school for that matter, and which shall remain nameless for now, has a 91% grad rate. No it's not the school with the plain gold helmets which BTW has a 98% grad rate, it's another school with mostly gold plain helmets. They're not in the top 25 at this time but they have been in the past and will be again.

Oh believe me, if Auburn did this, BamaEd would have that on here faster than you could blink your eye and had sixteen ways to teel us how stupid Auburn people were. I just reported I thought it was quite funny. I am a proud graduate (twice) of the Plains. The figure you quoted swaps back and forth between schools each year. I am assuming you are quoting athletic graduation rates. As an educator, I will always hope that higher education will strive to make these numbers much higher, no matter what the institution. They are getting an education, room and board by providing a service (job) to their university. If they only knew what a special gift that was not to be saddled with student loans after college.

At least AL took the blame for the spelling and is it a wonder with a graduation rate of 67%?
No snickering though Jen, Auburn 59%.
On the other hand my team, not my school, I was too stupid for college and regular high school for that matter, and which shall remain nameless for now, has a 91% grad rate. No it's not the school with the plain gold helmets which BTW has a 98% grad rate, it's another school with mostly gold plain helmets. They're not in the top 25 at this time but they have been in the past and will be again.

Wow Magicbus, so mysterious.

Is this "your" team?:

boston-college-eagles-deluxe-replica-full-size-helmet-3349807.jpg

If so, I will see your team play FSU in Tallahassee come October.

I might have an extra ticket or two.

Let me know if you're interested.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter