Official 2014 Donald Half Marathon

Drive vs Disney Transportation on Saturday morning? Sounds like Disney really wants us to use busses, but if its cold, id like to sit in my car for a while (I read that I have to be in my corral at 5). We are staying at Coronado Resort.
If it's chilly and/or rainy, I'll be driving, for the same reason. I've queried some local friends who've done the race-day drive before and as long as we plan to get there not long after 3am, there shouldn't be an issue with traffic. :thumbsup2

Drive vs Disney Transportation on Saturday morning? Sounds like Disney really wants us to use busses, but if its cold, id like to sit in my car for a while (I read that I have to be in my corral at 5). We are staying at Coronado Resort.

After the traffic our bus got stuck in on the way to the marathon last year I'd be terrified to drive. Our bus driver ended up doing a u-turn and going a back way through a parking lot entrance "regular" people couldn't access. Though after reading the guide, it sounds more like they just want to make sure everyone passes through the security checkpoint rather than walking over from OKW or other nearby resorts and not necessarily discouraging from driving.

If it's chilly and/or rainy, I'll be driving, for the same reason. I've queried some local friends who've done the race-day drive before and as long as we plan to get there not long after 3am, there shouldn't be an issue with traffic. :thumbsup2

Just to be clear, Disney is attempting to discourage folks staying on property from driving to the race. Historically, they have fairly good compliance with the request with maybe 80-85% of the folks riding buses. The numbers riding buses fall dramatically with race temps.

If one is planning on driving, I would try to hit the parking lot no later than 0315. Much later and you get into the traffic snarls on occasion. The I would rather sleep argument seems weak as one can easily nap in the car.

I find that the traffic getting into the lot in the 3:15-3:30 range a lot easier than leaving the race with the 2-2:15 crowd. I have been stuck in the lot for an hour on at least two occasions. The main cause for the snarl when leaving is the parking lot folks are not ready for the mass exodus and even if they are, they have to give priority to buses entering the runner pick up area.

I would not be afraid of driving to the lot as long as you are aware of Epcot Dr being closed as well as traffic snarls at Buena and World and Osceola and World.

The I would rather sleep argument seems weak as one can easily nap in the car.

:thumbsup2 My thought exactly! Shoot, I was outside for a bus at 2:50am for PHM, so I have no issue with leaving that early by car, just to have somewhere warm to hang out. I know I sound like a broken record, but for real - this Floridian was scarred for life by the 2010 sleet, lol!

Did the Galloway 12.5 today. OK I should have done it yesterday, but my schedule did not allow it.

Yay! Congrats on such a long run.

My toes hurt!

HOW how how how do people do a full marathon? How? Aren't you bored? Don't you hurt? Aren't your feet just dying?

OK, OK, you train for it. I just don't know how I could convince my feet and the backs of my knees TO train for it. I'd have to trick them or something. :goodvibes

I too wonder how. I am in the "probably will never run a marathon" camp. I am happy though that I am no longer experiencing the aches and pains I once did.... so maybe there is a progression. One time it was just a miracle to run the longer distances... now I run them...and am able to feel like I am not totally dying in the end. Course.. maybe it is my shoes.

Sorry you were hurting. Hugs.

But glad to know there's another out there who just wonders "how". When I hit the end yesterday I thought YAY and "there's no way I could say 'and again!' right now."

Discovered yesterday that its at 6 miles when I start talking to myself. Embarrassing. :)

Sounds like we need a support group... the "wont be doing a full" group. ;)

i ran a half on Saturday (my first). and when i finished, i couldn't imagine those who were doing twice my distance. i give major kudos to them. that is AMAZING!!! :worship:

i was thrilled with my finish time of 2:05:16. i had some pretty awful runs lately and was just hoping to average 10:30 minutes per mile, but when i got out there, i realized i could easily do under 10 minutes. my time was a 9:38 minute mile, so i was super excited!

it was also a confidence booster for January. now, i know that i can run a half marathon!

Congrats on your time!!! I am hoping to come in around there for the half myselff... the time I submitted would support that. (I am in E corral) but lately I have been sluggish on my runs and doing 11 miles at a 9 and a half minute pace was a challenge.

There are lots of things here i want to address- like congrats On your journey and weightless and everything. But I am In a rush and just wanted to mention that I also have index toe problems with shoes and even though my properly fitting mizunos feel great, I still get bruised toes sometimes from them (especially when doing a lot of hill work). I also have a pair of addidas energy boost and they do not bother my toes at ALL! Must be something with their tech fit material, which is odd bc the shoe fits more snuggly (weird description). You may want to check a pair out. I love them!

I run in Boosts too!! I LOVE, LOVE LOVE them!!! I use to think my brooks were my favorite shoes ever... but I lost toe nails and did ache some. Then came the boosts and no more. Dh was having troubles... and I swore it was his shoes. He relented and finally switched from his mizunos to a pair of boosts and voila...not only no more troubles but he started shaving a LOT of time off of his pace.

Those are the EXACT shoe I wear! I was wearing Brooks before but they discontinued what I liked. I had to find another shoe so I was at a Running Store in Boston and they recommended the Engery Boost. Love them. I bought a few pairs of them because it seems when I like something, they discontinue them. I have seen somewhere that that shoe is going to be extinct.

They are VERY soft so they are not for everyone though and I even wear them with an insole that was made for my foot...I love them.

:cool1: Another boost runner... and I too went from a brooks to the boost when brooks changed their pure flow ever so slightly. Funny thing is... the issues I thought were just me in the brooks... I no longer have in the boosts.

I know it's partially marketing but I swear I love the "foam." It IS so springy to me! I heard a rumor I'm getting a second pair for Christmas.... :)

I am not sure if it is totally a marketing gimmick. I run my short runs in a pair of assics and I totally notice the difference in return. Plus... I swear I just need to stop running even the short runs in the assics. I end up with hip flexor pain for a couple days after I run in them. Once I run a couple times in my boosts... the pain subsides. That is until the next short run and I wear them again. :rolleyes:

Checked out the shoe, sadness. They don't seem to have it in widths.

I am sorry... they really are nice shoes. I wish they were available to you.

I'm starting to feel like rebelling against the stability shoes everyone insists I wear (I do funky things with my feet, especially my right foot, which is also the smaller foot). They feel so heavy and clunky and big, and I STILL do the same thing with my foot (the benefit of using a treadmill is that you can see your gait in the mirror) only I have a bigger, heavier shoe to lift up as I do it.

I was fitted... was told I needed stability and the "blue" super feet in soles. Yep, that ended not well. I ended up with peroneal tendonitis. Ya know what causes that? Supination. So in the attempt to correct my over pronation... it made me do the exact opposite. I went to a minimalist shoe for a while...and they work nicely...but I do need a bit more cushion. Point is.. and I think PrincessV said it too. I think correcting the way your body has been moving all of its life is not necessarily a good thing.

The injury I got so long ago was first one, then the other, peroneus longus tendons got strained. Happened on two nice long runs, when I was getting blisters on the inside bottoms of my feet and started turning my feet out. Did one leg, got it diagnosed, got PT (luckily I was on a varsity sport and we had a PT school and solid athletic training program), healed it up....went out for another run and got the other leg. :rolleyes2 Not too bright, was I? :blush:

:scratchin I think we are talking the same injury. Mine was caused by the wrong shoe. It wasnt fun.

And, sadly, for me, there is no such thing as a comfy shoe. Not ever. Closest shoe to that is the Crocs Athens, but their sizing is all wonky now. And I can't run in the Athens. :) For me, having a shoe feel a certain way when I try it on means nothing for how it will feel an hour later or a mile later or a block later.

And this is why I HATE having to find new shoes. I dread the idea that the boost will change in any way.... cause then I will have to run and try out many shoes.... and yes, what is nice for one mile might not be what is nice for 3 or more. And how do you know that until you have run in them that far? :confused: Good exchange policy is very important!

SHOOOOOEEEEES!!!!

I :love: shoe talk, lol! And I swear, you all must have been reading my mind; I spent my lunch break working on a blog post about - you guessed it - running shoes. :rotfl: It's not done yet, or I'd post it now. I'll share when it's done, though.

But basically, this: I can almost guarantee you that any running shoe fitter will want to put me into stability shoes. And I can 100% guarantee you they'll be WRONG. Okay, there's got to be some expert out there that can get it right, but he/she sure doesn't live near me, lol! I'm not one of those hardcore minimalist folks who thinks all stability and motion control shoes are evil, but I'm not at all convinced that a shoe ought to be used to "correct" mechanics. In my case, said "correction" screwed up a body that was working very well without outside interference, TYVM.

I feel the same way. :goodvibes
Got a parking ticket I was at the shoe store so long. Feels like some sort of badge of honor, though a REALLY annoying one.

That stinks about the ticket.

After a huge amount of time, even getting the benefit of the thoughts of the owner of the store, the main determination is that RRS has had me in a shoe that's too big. The owner nearly thought I needed to go down a full size (I even squeezed into 1.5 sizes down on his request), but we went to a half size down.

And the contenders ended up being what I HAVE, just half a size smaller, and the Nike Structure. At one point I was running around the store wearing one of each, then switching. I almost felt like just buying both and running like that. (actually I DO want to buy both because they both felt so much better) Got brave. Got the Nikes. Now I'm afraid because Nikes and I don't have the best past! We shall see.

They normally don't have a real *return* policy, because they will just put you in a different shoe instead of refunding you, but he gave me a special piece of paper about a return if I need to do so. I think it's because they have a smaller selection and my feet were so difficult to fit. I tried on something like 7 shoes; all of their wide shoes, really. He even put me in a normal width, just to see. They were about to bring out the small Men's shoes when the owner came in and took over. :)

And I got some compression sleeves for the calves, which felt so good when I tried them on... I don't have an intention of running in them; they are for afterwards, but you never know. I seem to have a tendency to change it all up in the final weeks of training! :rolleyes:

Sounds like you may have found a good fit. :thumbsup2

okay so i managed to acquire a bib for this race.. now i ran the wine and dine a little over a month ago so i know i can do that distance but i havent been exactly running more than 5 miles at a time the past few weeks.. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how i should train for the next two weeks??.. i ran 7.5 today with no issues..

I actually managed to do 10.7 miles today. The last mile was hell. I do hope that it was just the "I'm almost there so I might stop already"-feeling, because I wouldn't fancy crawling the last 2-3 miles and over the finish line. :rolleyes2

And after the race I will definitely have to get new shoes. I have two pairs (both Asics) and while they are both comfortable, they both make me hurt after a while. The first pair is a neutral one, and if I run for more than 4 miles in them, my knees start hurting. The second one I bought after a treadmill analysis, they're stabilizing but my toes don't seem to like them much. And, even worse, the sole of my right foot appears to disagree with the stabilizing bit after about 7 miles. I really wish I had normal feet... :rolleyes: I might have a look at the Boosts, but "not too wide" doesn't sound good, at least not for my toes. My feet are skinny at the heel, wide at the front, and my toes are quite long - not a good combination when it comes to buying shoes. :sad:

I actually managed to do 10.7 miles today. The last mile was hell. I do hope that it was just the "I'm almost there so I might stop already"-feeling, because I wouldn't fancy crawling the last 2-3 miles and over the finish line. :rolleyes2

And after the race I will definitely have to get new shoes. I have two pairs (both Asics) and while they are both comfortable, they both make me hurt after a while. The first pair is a neutral one, and if I run for more than 4 miles in them, my knees start hurting. The second one I bought after a treadmill analysis, they're stabilizing but my toes don't seem to like them much. And, even worse, the sole of my right foot appears to disagree with the stabilizing bit after about 7 miles. I really wish I had normal feet... :rolleyes: I might have a look at the Boosts, but "not too wide" doesn't sound good, at least not for my toes. My feet are skinny at the heel, wide at the front, and my toes are quite long - not a good combination when it comes to buying shoes. :sad:

This is probably bad advice, so you probably shouldn't take it, but you might think about new shoes now. I got new shoes before the TOT, and I just got new shoes for the Half. worked pretty well for TOT. Time will tell if it works for the Half. But given how my shoes (the ones I wore for TOT) are making me feel, there's just no way I can do the Half with any sort of happiness with those shoes.

As I was mentioning yesterday or the day before, I ended up going to a different store than the one that does the treadmill analysis here. Totally new set of eyes on my feet.

This is probably bad advice, so you probably shouldn't take it, but you might think about new shoes now.

I was seriously considering this, and I might still do it. I did a 10k race in shoes I had bought the day before the race, so I wouldn't totally rule it out. On the other hand, I've only got about two weeks of training left. With my current shoes, I know the kind of pain they give me, and I know it will make me whine, but it won't ruin the 4 days after the race before I'll go home. If I buy new shoes, they might lead to new pain, that could potentially make running the half marathon rather uncomfortable, or force me to spend more time in my hotel room than I had planned. Right now, I'm just not sure I'm brave enough to take that risk.:blush:

With my current shoes, I know the kind of pain they give me, and I know it will make me whine, but it won't ruin the 4 days after the race before I'll go home.

That's a really good point. For me I was to the point where I nearly couldn't run in them and I knew I couldn't deal with them. If you're not there, like I said, it was bad advice and you probably shouldn't do it. :)

I know this has probably all been covered somewhere - but with slightly over a week before we leave - and my not being a runner until last May - and a 10K being the longest race I've "run" (and I use that term loosely) - I'm starting to panic. I've been so proud that I've really done well in sticking to my training (Jeff Galloway) since May (5K then 10K and now 1/2 marathon app) - until it got really cold weekend before last and the 15K I was going to run even though it was supposed to be my 12 mile run - was changed to a 5K. So this weekend I'm facing a 14.3 mi run, which in reality will be lucky to be 12 miles. Now I'm scared I've not done everything I should have and I'm not ready.
My biggest concern? Getting swept! My goal is to FINISH - I just want to finish. So, am I correct that I read somewhere that the 3.5 hours starts when the last person in the last corral crosses the start line? I was so excited when corrals came out and I'm not in the last one - I'm thinking that buys me time and I want to be sure that is correct. So the people in corral A - who can actually finish the race in less than 2 hours apparently - would actually have like 4.5 hours to finish it?
Is there any type of countdown clock? I'm thinking I read there are signs every mile that will give you a time - is that by corral? How do you know when they are about to sweep you?
Sorry - I know this sounds sort of desperate :).
thanks.

I know this has probably all been covered somewhere - but with slightly over a week before we leave - and my not being a runner until last May - and a 10K being the longest race I've "run" (and I use that term loosely) - I'm starting to panic. I've been so proud that I've really done well in sticking to my training (Jeff Galloway) since May (5K then 10K and now 1/2 marathon app) - until it got really cold weekend before last and the 15K I was going to run even though it was supposed to be my 12 mile run - was changed to a 5K. So this weekend I'm facing a 14.3 mi run, which in reality will be lucky to be 12 miles. Now I'm scared I've not done everything I should have and I'm not ready.
My biggest concern? Getting swept! My goal is to FINISH - I just want to finish. So, am I correct that I read somewhere that the 3.5 hours starts when the last person in the last corral crosses the start line? I was so excited when corrals came out and I'm not in the last one - I'm thinking that buys me time and I want to be sure that is correct. So the people in corral A - who can actually finish the race in less than 2 hours apparently - would actually have like 4.5 hours to finish it?
Is there any type of countdown clock? I'm thinking I read there are signs every mile that will give you a time - is that by corral? How do you know when they are about to sweep you?
Sorry - I know this sounds sort of desperate :).
thanks.

First, congrats to you! I'm in a similar boat, in that I had been doing well in training but have fallen behind. Well, I've done the long runs, but it's the in-between conditioning runs that I'm slacking in.

I'll be doing the 14 miles this weekend too.

Being swept happens if you end up behind the "balloon ladies". They are the last to start. They go at a 16 minute mile. So YES, being in an earlier corral gives you a cushion of time. If you went at 16 minutes/mile starting in an earlier corral you would never even see them.

The clocks you see at each mile started when the race started; it's not personalized for you unless you crossed the line at the very beginning.

I've read that you'll be talked to by the balloon ladies and by people on bikes, etc, if you are slowing down so much you're heading towards being swept. I've read that you will be encouraged to help out with any mental issues (hitting the wall, etc...I don't mean *issues* LOL) and also watched over to make sure you're not going to fall over or something. Unless you are beyond out of it, you won't be surprised to be swept; you'll know they are around you, from what I've read.

Please don't worry too much about this!

How well is the course lit during the race? Should we wear headlamps, or will we be fine without?

The course is lit fairly well. While there may be some darkish patches here and there, I've never felt the need for my own light.

Speaking of shoes (didn't want to start a new thread) I've a got an old pair of NB minimus "zero" shoes with about 320-330 miles that I love and have been training with for the last few months. Well, a few weeks ago I bought some new minimus "trail" shoes by mistake (as I thought they were the similar zeros). At first they felt great, especially in the store, but after 30 or so miles they are giving me blisters near the balls of my feet. With race day less than 2 weeks away I'm thinking of switching back to the worn zero's even with the high mileage. The soles are definitely worn and compressed, but the material is still holding up well. Does this sound like a good idea? What is everyone's typical race day shoe mileage?

Should I continue to try and break in the newer trail shoes?

Speaking of shoes (didn't want to start a new thread) I've a got an old pair of NB minimus "zero" shoes with about 320-330 miles that I love and have been training with for the last few months. Well, a few weeks ago I bought some new minimus "trail" shoes by mistake (as I thought they were the similar zeros). At first they felt great, especially in the store, but after 30 or so miles they are giving me blisters near the balls of my feet. With race day less than 2 weeks away I'm thinking of switching back to the worn zero's even with the high mileage. The soles are definitely worn and compressed, but the material is still holding up well. Does this sound like a good idea? What is everyone's typical race day shoe mileage? Should I continue to try and break in the newer trail shoes?
I think it varies from runner to runner - I'm happiest in pretty new shoes - 50 miles or less. But I know plenty of people who want closer to 100 on them for a race. But it's also been my experience that shoes don't ever "break in" for me; either they're just right straight out if the box, or they're just plain wrong for me and will never be right.
Have you had a recent long run in the older shoes? How did your feet/legs/hips/back feel after? In comparison to how you feel after running in the new ones? That might help you decide.

First, congrats to you! I'm in a similar boat, in that I had been doing well in training but have fallen behind. Well, I've done the long runs, but it's the in-between conditioning runs that I'm slacking in.

I'll be doing the 14 miles this weekend too.

Being swept happens if you end up behind the "balloon ladies". They are the last to start. They go at a 16 minute mile. So YES, being in an earlier corral gives you a cushion of time. If you went at 16 minutes/mile starting in an earlier corral you would never even see them.

The clocks you see at each mile started when the race started; it's not personalized for you unless you crossed the line at the very beginning.

I've read that you'll be talked to by the balloon ladies and by people on bikes, etc, if you are slowing down so much you're heading towards being swept. I've read that you will be encouraged to help out with any mental issues (hitting the wall, etc...I don't mean *issues* LOL) and also watched over to make sure you're not going to fall over or something. Unless you are beyond out of it, you won't be surprised to be swept; you'll know they are around you, from what I've read.

Please don't worry too much about this!

Thank you for talking me down! That sounds good. Unless something unexpected happens I should be ok. I think it's more the unknown than anything. I'm hoping that there will be so much going on that it will distract me from any difficulties on the mental side - especially if my phone battery dies before the end!
:cool1:

I think it varies from runner to runner - I'm happiest in pretty new shoes - 50 miles or less. But I know plenty of people who want closer to 100 on them for a race. But it's also been my experience that shoes don't ever "break in" for me; either they're just right straight out if the box, or they're just plain wrong for me and will never be right.
Have you had a recent long run in the older shoes? How did your feet/legs/hips/back feel after? In comparison to how you feel after running in the new ones? That might help you decide.

Well, I actually ran a half-marathon (on my own) about 2 weeks ago in my old New Balance "zero" shoes which may have been the last time I actually used them! I was obviously a bit tired, but can't remember any aches or pain associated with them. I then switched over to the new New Balance "trail" (accidently) shoes shortly afterwards. It's wierd, the new "trail" shoes felt almost identical to the old ones in the store and the first few times I went out running. They both have the vibram soles so they should be similar, but I think the problem might be that the trail versions are slightly thicker and stiffer than the vibram zero's (which are minimal road shoes). I'm just nervous that something will crop up during the race in the old shoes as the back soles are quite worn. The "zero's are very thin to begin with and was curious what is really considering high mileage on a pair of shoes like that? Seems to be quite a variance from one person to the next!

I might try to do a long-run in the new shoes (with better socks) and then perhaps try both during my 2-week taper, but I'm leaning with going with the old more comfortable shoes at this point. Even after 320+ miles they fit like a glove ...

14 miles DONE. With hills. And new smaller shoes. And compression calf sleeves (loved them even though I felt like I was trying to be Britney Spears since I was also trying out my running skirt). Done done done.

Shoes literally went from bad to good and back again and again, left good left bad right good right bad etc. no one to blame but me of course. Good news is that my toes hurt far less than in the too big shoes.

Nutrition and water plan worked. And it turns out that running in the morning is interesting! Going from the moon to sunrise to bright sun is neat. If only I had had better sleep but that was probably good practice for the 11th. (And 9 since DS and I are doing the 5k)

14 miles DONE. With hills. And new smaller shoes. And compression calf sleeves (loved them even though I felt like I was trying to be Britney Spears since I was also trying out my running skirt). Done done done.

Shoes literally went from bad to good and back again and again, left good left bad right good right bad etc. no one to blame but me of course. Good news is that my toes hurt far less than in the too big shoes.

Nutrition and water plan worked. And it turns out that running in the morning is interesting! Going from the moon to sunrise to bright sun is neat. If only I had had better sleep but that was probably good practice for the 11th. (And 9 since DS and I are doing the 5k)

Good job!

And I might be into the Britney Speers look too! I have BRIGHT pink compression sleeves with matching pink skirt!
Lack of sleep is unavoidable...so much adrenalin pumping through everyone...its hard to sleep..the night before a race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter