• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

I had a thought this morning that perhaps one of the reasons for the quick W&D sellout yesterday, was they are holding back registrations in case they had to cancel Star Wars races.

I said this over in that thread, too. :)

Some things to consider...

I've been following news of race and other event cancellations over the past few weeks. In some cases whoever was holding/running the event made the decision to cancel, and in others the decision was made for them, whether they agreed with it or not, by a local/state/national government. FL is currently trying hard not to limit tourism. Many counties and cities are doing the same. To my knowledge, as of now there have been no gov't bans on large gatherings in FL. Several entities have chosen on their own to cancel their events, but they have not been told they must. WDW is a HUGE part of FL's tourism industry, and a gigantic employer: I do not believe it will close or cancel races out of the goodness of its corporate heart. IF that happens, it will be told to by a local or state governing body, or because it runs the numbers and determines that it is of more financial benefit to close/cancel than to carry on as planned.

IF RR were to be canceled, I would not expect a cash refund. No way. I might expect, though, a partial or full refund of registration in the form of a gift card. Maybe a guaranteed entry in next year's race as an option. I think WDW would work with people on an individual basis to reschedule resort reservations for those past their cancel-with-full-refund dates, and may opt to allow full refunds on a case by case basis. I can't imagine they'd do anything about ADRs, since those can be canceled 24 hours ahead, or FPs, which carry no monetary value (unless you paid for them with a CL res, which is different situation.)

I know this is hard, we feel like we're in limbo, and the not knowing is just a colossal PITA. FWIW that's also my daily work and non-work life down here, too, so I really, really do get that. My frustration level with the lack of clear information and guidance in FL is approaching 11. But we simply won't know what's happening until it happens. And that may be very late in the game. Hang in there!

I'm assuming they'll end up just making ALL the Star Wars races virtual this year - while shipping out the medals/shirts since I'd imagine those are all already being produced, while keeping your money. I certainly hope this isn't the case but I'd imagine this will be more tolerable to the general public than just canceling everything.

This is an interesting option. I'd almost prefer it if they end up cancelling the race. I'm selfish on this one though since I had meniscus surgery in January and am already stressing about being able to complete the challenge and earn my medals. I could do a "virtual" race just walking around Disney at a pace that doesn't include the balloon ladies. It wouldn't be as fun or challenging, but it is what it is.

IF RR were to be canceled, I would not expect a cash refund. No way. I might expect, though, a partial or full refund of registration in the form of a gift card. Maybe a guaranteed entry in next year's race as an option. I think WDW would work with people on an individual basis to reschedule resort reservations for those past their cancel-with-full-refund dates, and may opt to allow full refunds on a case by case basis. I can't imagine they'd do anything about ADRs, since those can be canceled 24 hours ahead, or FPs, which carry no monetary value (unless you paid for them with a CL res, which is different situation.)

I know this is hard, we feel like we're in limbo, and the not knowing is just a colossal PITA. FWIW that's also my daily work and non-work life down here, too, so I really, really do get that. My frustration level with the lack of clear information and guidance in FL is approaching 11. But we simply won't know what's happening until it happens. And that may be very late in the game. Hang in there!

Yeah the being in limbo is the worst though we've seen it before with star wars races (and yes I know this isn't the same as DS).

Today we have seen a bunch of high profile events cancelled or going without fans. I'm still expecting by sunday the NCAA tourney will be without fans. When big events like MM run without fans people are going to ask about WDW. Even if the parks don't close I'm real concerned about the race because let's face it they are very tight conditions at times in both corrals and at places on the course and with people sweating and all that also I know I've read before that long distance running can weaken your immune system some (I got a cold once right after one of my first marathons and when reading came accross that tidbit and it is just your body exerting so much energy it needs time to recorver) just creates a situation for a virus like this to spread easily even if a lot of people running are in good shape.- still don't want it spread it and create more carriers who then say go into the parks after the race.

So unless something changes I see the races likely being cancelled and would be similar to other things we are seeing in places like DLP where they are cancellng charater meet and greets and even a hard ticket event cancelled. So before WDW closes parks they would likely do things like that which would likely include rundisney. If they do I'd prefer the make it virtual option even though I don't really like virtual races. It is better then giving you nothing.

I was talking to my travel agent yesturday since it is time to pay the rest of my package and she said that unofficially disney has been waiving the cancellation fee for people who cancel. It isn't an official policy but something they have been doing in many cases and I'd expect that to continue. And it probably is better to keep policy as policy and then just override it on a case by case basis (even if you do it for pretty much everybody).

We'll see how things shake out, but I think at least the races are in jeopardy and they would be cancelled before closing of the parks.

Yep. A little quicker then I expected but things have been moving very quickly today.
Now that World Health Organisation has labelled it a pandemic today, I can see that trend continuing quite rapidly.

At the end of the day, none of us know how things will pan out in next few weeks. But looking at what's happening in Italy right now, it's highly likely we will see a lot of big events cancelled.

They cancelled the St. Patrick’s Day parade here in Philly. The average parade viewer usually has enough alcohol in their system to fight off almost anything.

If anyone is looking for a last minute bib Give Kids the World has waived fundraising requirements for their bibs they still have.

For all those in Europe except the U.K., looks like the US has imposed a 30 day ban on travel to the US from Europe, not including the U.K. . May effect your schedule as the 30 days is close to Star Wars weekend.

Looking less and less like it’s going to happen. Rest of NBA season is cancelled. Darn it! I really want that Ahsoka medal. Maybe they’ll make it virtual.

Last edited:
Looking less and less like it’s going to happen. Rest of NBA season is cancelled. Darn it! I really want that Ahsoka medal. Maybe they’ll make it virtual.

NCAA fans only... most conference tourneys fans only. NBA suspended....

I see almost no way rundisney is going to put 20,000 or so people in tight corrals and on a tight course. I just don't see it.

NCAA fans only... most conference tourneys fans only. NBA suspended....

I see almost no way rundisney is going to put 20,000 or so people in tight corrals and on a tight course. I just don't see it.
I think its still a bit early. Many schools for example are currently planning on being back in session before this race would take place. Disney could announce a closure for the remainder of the month for example but that would mean SW could still take place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter