• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Hope we hear something sooner rather than later. I'm only 3 days out from my 31 days on DVC points for full cancellation. I'm also perfect for the Star Wars races and hopefully they would leave that designation in tack. The bummer is that I have an annual pass that expires May 20th and I wouldn't want it to go to waste if everything is cancelled or Disney is closed. I'd hope Disney would extend my annual pass dates to cover any closure. Fingers crossed.

We were wondering about DVC points as well...and our annual passes expire in May as well.

We were wondering about DVC points as well...and our annual passes expire in May as well.

yeah DVC are going to be a mess when they close. You can't have people just lose points but you also can't have a huge surplus of points out there either.

Wonder if they will do something like give people other things like they "spend" points on like extra fastpasses to help eat up some points.

yeah DVC are going to be a mess when they close. You can't have people just lose points but you also can't have a huge surplus of points out there either.

Wonder if they will do something like give people other things like they "spend" points on like extra fastpasses to help eat up some points.

Grand Californian has DVC points so we should find out today/tomorrow what they're doing there. I suspect it'll be like the hurricane policy and they'll refund the points, potentially even back into the original Use Year.

Yeah, so my annual pass was up for renewal in April. I renewed already to make fastpasses. My next trip after this would be marathon weekend. Any chance they would refund my renewal (if this gets canceled)? I would even take it as pre-payment towards a new annual pass voucher...

Is this something new on waiving change fees? Although they still may cancel Star Wars, is this an indication they don’t intend to close the parks? They will waive change fees but maintain the cancellation penalty and fees.75782FC3-AB06-4D8D-AC6F-BBA9A78D3CD3.jpeg

Operational Update – March 12, 8:20 p.m.
March 12th, 2020
In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of our theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Paris Resort, beginning at the close of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month.
Disney Cruise Line will suspend all new departures beginning Saturday, March 14, through the end of the month.
The Walt Disney Company will pay its cast members during that closure period.
The hotels at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris will remain open until further notice. The retail and dining complexes, Disney Springs at Walt Disney World and Disney Village at Disneyland Paris, will remain open.
Domestic Walt Disney Company employees who are able to work from home are being asked to do so, including those at The Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Television, ESPN, Direct-to-Consumer, and Parks, Experiences and Products.
We will continue to stay in close contact with appropriate officials and health experts.

Is there a Disney precedent for postponing for a later date, like Boston is doing? Just wondering...

Is there a Disney precedent for postponing for a later date, like Boston is doing? Just wondering...
Its never been done. Summer in Orlando would be very tough due to weather. They are going to likely have to offer options much like the 2017 WDW Half if they do indeed cancel.

I really think it’s already been cancelled. It’s just a matter of what the contingency plan is. This is really insignificant to the Disney operation at this point.

Agreed. Just a matter of how to do it and that may be what they are working out.

I'd rather see a postponement but clearly couldn't do it in summer. So the only date I think would work is to do early Oct where ToT used to be though it was still quite humid for that race but they did a 10 miler then so it is a race weekend that Disney has done before. Though ToT was a night race....well you know if they had to make the half marathon a night race I guess I wouldn't complain. :-) That's it... star wars half marathon as a night race with an afterparty at star wars land.

Yes wishful thinking territory there but I think the early october date would be a good one vs cancelling.

Agreed. Just a matter of how to do it and that may be what they are working out.

I'd rather see a postponement but clearly couldn't do it in summer. So the only date I think would work is to do early Oct where ToT used to be though it was still quite humid for that race but they did a 10 miler then so it is a race weekend that Disney has done before. Though ToT was a night race....well you know if they had to make the half marathon a night race I guess I wouldn't complain. :-) That's it... star wars half marathon as a night race with an afterparty at star wars land.

Yes wishful thinking territory there but I think the early october date would be a good one vs cancelling.

I don’t think rescheduling is going to be an option. RunDisney knows they have a large proportion of runners that do multiple weekends throughout the year. They know they can’t put those folks in the position of having to take two trips to Disney World in the span of a month or two.

I don’t think rescheduling is going to be an option. RunDisney knows they have a large proportion of runners that do multiple weekends throughout the year. They know they can’t put those folks in the position of having to take two trips to Disney World in the span of a month or two.

Maybe they can, you know, reschedule it but like in California where it belongs!

They have done it before. but as long as you give people options to run the new date or defer to next year or get a refund it would be fine. I still think they'd get plenty of people for an october race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter