• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

They have done it before. but as long as you give people options to run the new date or defer to next year or get a refund it would be fine. I still think they'd get plenty of people for an october race.

Most other canceled or postponed races, triathlons, etc. are not offering refunds. They’re offering deferrals into another event or to 2021, and even some of them are requiring you to pay again in 2021. I don’t think Disney will require you to pay a second time, but I don’t think they’ll give a full cash refund either. Gift cards or credit toward a future race seem more likely.

Most other canceled or postponed races, triathlons, etc. are not offering refunds. They’re offering deferrals into another event or to 2021, and even some of them are requiring you to pay again in 2021. I don’t think Disney will require you to pay a second time, but I don’t think they’ll give a full cash refund either. Gift cards or credit toward a future race seem more likely.

This is my guess too. I suspect there will be options, like when they couldn't do the Half during Marathon weekend a couple of years ago.

They have done it before. but as long as you give people options to run the new date or defer to next year or get a refund it would be fine. I still think they'd get plenty of people for an october race.
I agree. They would be rescheduling the entire weekend and have enough time to do this. Early October would be good for me, but I am local. As long as it doesn't conflict with DLP's race at the end of september, I am in!

The difference between this possible/probable situation and the half that got cancelled a few years ago is that this instance, they have forsight; for that half (princess?) it was weather related if memory serves and that was a decision made hours before the start of the race.

The difference between this possible/probable situation and the half that got cancelled a few years ago is that this instance, they have forsight; for that half (princess?) it was weather related if memory serves and that was a decision made hours before the start of the race.

It was the half marathon during marathon weekend. They sent out the cancellation announcement the evening before. We heard about it while at dinner, and then ordered another round or three of drinks.

While I’m still hopeful that the races will go on, I have found MY silver lining IF the races are canceled. My AP expiration date has been extended (because of the WDW closure) so that it will still be good for another MW. Now to decide what races to register for IF SW is canceled.

It was the half marathon during marathon weekend. They sent out the cancellation announcement the evening before. We heard about it while at dinner, and then ordered another round or three of drinks.

My wife was running her first half marathon. We got her into the Marathon; she insisted on running in order to earn the medal. After I got off the phone, we went to a 10 p.m. dinner at Ohana and she got basically no sleep and ran 14 miles the next day. She fell down and tore some skin looking back for an injured friend, so the two of them dropped out at a pick-up point...but she did her half-maration!

I'd love a refund, but I'd be okay with moving us to the same event in 2021. She's healing from a torn hamstring and I am not sure she can complete the challenge as of now. We'll see what happens.

While I’m still hopeful that the races will go on, I have found MY silver lining IF the races are canceled. My AP expiration date has been extended (because of the WDW closure) so that it will still be good for another MW. Now to decide what races to register for IF SW is canceled.

How did you find out about this? I just logged into my MDE account and saw no change to the expiration date of my AP (DVC Gold Pass). I'm just curious if there's been an announcement or anything like that.

How did you find out about this? I just logged into my MDE account and saw no change to the expiration date of my AP (DVC Gold Pass). I'm just curious if there's been an announcement or anything like that.

Yes disney inddiczted APs would be extended for the duration of the shutdown. They may not have done it in the system yet but they said they are going to.

Where did they announce that? The page still lists fundraising requirements.

I did purchase 2 5K bibs from them and had to sign off on the fundraising terms as well... however, I specifically emailed Steven (GKTW) about this, he assured me they are waiving the fundraising "requirement" but ask us to try to raise what we could... Hope this helps.

As much as I want a reschedule I am not sure they can. Early October i have a marathon so knowing my luck it would be that same weekend. That would be much easier to skip (cheaper) and i'd rather go to WDW and run! Was so hoping to keep my perfect record of running Dark Side/Rival Run weekend!

Just to be clear for those unfamiliar: May through most, and often all, of Oct. in central FL is HOT. Like, surface of the sun HOT. The only reason TOT 10-Miler was run as early in the fall as it was was because it was at night, so we at least didn't have the sun in the mix. Know what? It was still brutally HOT. I can't see any way rD can reschedule outside of just pushing it to 2021.

But here's a hypothetical quandary about if the race is canceled...
Say the only options are your registration gets moved to 2021 or you get a refund of some sort. Clearly for those of us who are Perfects, running it it 2021 should maintain Perfect status, right?
BUT, what if they make this year an option of running it as a virtual, or getting a refund of some sort, or transferring it to next year - would Perfects have to take the virtual option to remain Perfect???

I'm petty down today after all the news late yesterday, and frivolous conundrums are about all I can handle right now...

boston marathon delayed to September... our run is likely gonna be delayed, at best, or canceled, most likely. I feel this is way too early to do this, but if Boston did it then Disney will likely follow suit... sigh, this is pathetic. there is too much panic over this.

As @Krandor said, if you look at the operations update on their website it says APs will be extended for the length of the closure.
I wasn’t planning on doing another MW since my AP would expire and I’m also doing W&D. But, if WDW is going to extend it I feel I have an obligation to use it and register for another race. I may have a runDisney addiction...

Personally, I’d like to see them do the races as virtual races, and they can send us the medals, shirts, pins, etc, that we have already paid for. The items have already been made, they might as well be distributed. I know a lot of people couldn’t reschedule for various reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter