Official 2023 Halloween Horror Nights 32 (Orlando)

While it’s meant to be an internal thing for the cast, it’s a big deal to win the house of the year. Fans eagerly await it every year. A bit of an upset this go-round.
Always good to hear another original house win. The HHN team are wonderful.

But the “bear” facts are, Yeti took it this year. :banana:
SA’s are always appreciated for their hard work and putting their creative heart and soul into their performances.

Love the photo of the bear looking over the fence.

This years HHN 32 observations from my perspective.

We all have differing opinions on HHN this year. That is a good thing. It means hopefully that we all took the time to enjoy HHN and take in the atmosphere that only HHN can provide.

There are many folks who attended HHN for the first time this year and they are basing their opinion on their first experience with nothing to compare it too. That is ok too.

Those that have attended HHN for years have a back knowledge to compare their experiences of HHN over the years.

Just like in your performance evaluation in your job I think it is important to share our observations on our visit to HHN. If that does not happen then the powers that be who do make the decisions yearly for HHN have nothing to go on as far as the attendees overall experience. Universal does to care about your experience and that is why they send out the surveys.

So here goes. Having attended HHN for a number of years and enjoying many Original Houses, IP Houses and Scare Zones. I do have a history to compare my experience.

HHN has grown so much over the years in both houses, Scare Zones, food, merchandise and the number of people attending. This year and last year the growth in attendance was very obvious.

I originally started attending HHN the end of September into October. That was a busy time and then I decided to go earlier in September and that time was a lot better in terms of crowds.

This year It seemed to be busy no matter what time folks chose.

I heard people complaining about September being busy because of ROF and Premier Pass AP days. I don’t think either one of those were the issue. I think there were just more people attending last year and this year.

I’am a AP holder and didn’t need to use my free HHN day as I had ROF with EP during my stay.

As a AP holder I not only like having the freedom to visit as much as I can during the year if I want, but I’am supporting Universal with my dollars.

Universal has and continues to celebrate their AP holders in many wonderful ways. They are unique in their respect of their AP holders. I hope that continues for years to come.

On the ROF Pass. If people cared to look at the price of the ROF and ROF with EP this pass went up this year like all the other multi night passes did. ROF has always been a way to give an option for those who attend HHN for the month of September a multi night pass.

I would venture to say that a majority of those passes are sold to people like myself who will use them for 7 to 8 nights and then leave. The remainder of those days are then given up.

On the houses. I continue to be amazed at the talent of the creators of the houses, the design team and the talented SA’s.

The Houses this year: I have always said you need to go through the houses a number of times to really appreciate them, but doing that this year really brought out the fact that there were on many occasions missing SA‘s in crucial parts of the houses I returned to.

The Scare Zones: The Scare Zones were dismal except for Vamp 69. The SA’s there were very good. They had a large area to work in and there was color there that was lacking in all the other Scare Zones.

This year there seemed to be a lack of SA’s in the Scare Zones a lot. Of course when it rains and weather is bad they will be absent, but it was an overall issue and there seemed be no consistency.

Last year Universal really hit it out of the park with the theming of the food booths. I was really impressed and felt they had not only taken into consideration the menu, but the structures too. It was impressive.

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2384.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_2434.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2435.jpeg
This year the food booths were not that impressive.

The Halloween Theming in the Scare Zones was awesome last year.

IMG_3627.jpeg

IMG_3626.jpeg

That all being said I did enjoy the houses this year, but did not enjoy the overall vibe of HHN that I had become accustomed to.

It’s like going to the wonderful steak restaurant and having the best steak you have ever had, then the next year going to the same restaurant and being served a hamburger instead. If you have had the best in the past you are far more aware when you have been served a sub standard meal.

The Dead Coconut Club was awesome as was the Tribute Store.

The merchandise options were fantastic.

The SA’s were awesome in the houses and the Scare Zones.

I just think there were a lot of inconsistencies this year with SA’s in the Houses and Scare Zones and the visual presentations in the Scare Zones were substandard and crowds at times were off the charts.

I look forward to HHN every year. I want to go and see great houses, Scare Zones, Halloween theming. I want to be blown away every year and walk away saying I can’t wait for Universal to knock my socks off again next year. I also want to walk away feeling that the many hundreds of dollars I spent on Multi-night tickets, Tours, Merch and Food has been well worth it.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Totally agree with what you said.

Houses this year were ok, some were dull and others wowed me.
Think I was there on one night when the teams were changing which can make you feel some thing is off the mark.

It’s all in the timing when you first go through.

Robbie, you are so on the mark on what you shared with the viewers!

I have been going to hhn since it began.
Always enjoy it.

Almost gave up on it the first 3 years I went, but year #4 of the event was absolutely fantastic!

I did RoF with Express this year. I am out of state so I did it Sept 14-23 so 5 nights of HHN. I loved most of the houses. I thought the scare zones were meh. SF and CP one are so tight so it’s basically just a walk through. Zodiac was way too dark. I loved the graveyard from last year..

I think the kid zone construction and Mel’s being closed didn’t help with traffic flow. Those NY food booths were so hard to get to especially with all that section being so crowded most of the time.

I look forward to HHN every year. I want to come and see great houses, Scare Zones, Halloween theming. I want to be blown away every year and walk away saying I can’t wait for Universal to knock my socks off again next year. I also want to walk away feeling that the many hundreds of dollars I spent on Multi-night tickets, Tours, Merch and Food has been well worth it.
That is the bottom line - was it worth the $1200 in tickets this year plus the AP and 12 nights in Universal hotels as well as all the theme park priced food and drink.
I'm on the fence this year as to whether it was worth it and not 100% sure Ill go next year - lots of factors in that - including what ticket's will they have next year and how much more expensive will they be?
The worst thing IMO is you really need to buy your ticket's and book the tours before you even know most of the IPs as the price will go up.

Yeah I can use the AP for multiple trips - but there is a good chance I wont use it again till next HHN if at all - hard to be sure.

Id like to do a weekend at Christmas and some time during Mardi Gras - but that does not always work out and honestly its cheaper to go to Europe than Universal.

getting off topic a bit but...

For example under $5 for a pint of Guinness in Ireland with the current exchange rate. Its $12.75 In Universal plus a tip - you rarely if ever tip in a pub in Ireland. Of course the weather in Ireland is mostly cloudy with a chance of showers pretty much every day - which means downpours and its cold. Yeah you can get lucky and get days in the 80s, but that in not the norm.

Lots of other options though for weather - Portugal, Croatia, Spain etc...

Central Europe is also a great value - Poland, Hungry, Czech Republic of course I'm avoiding that area the last couple of years with all that is going on. I do regret not going to Lviv for a weekend back in 2018 :(

Anyway - I did a trip to Ireland and Portugal with my wife in September and the total costs were about the same as my Universal HHN solo Trip, so its something to consider.

I really, really enjoyed HHN this year, but I'm a newbie, so don't have a lot to compare it to. I totally understand the overall sentiment though, if things aren't like they used to be. I still wonder if this year was a bit of an anomaly w IPs as popular as Stranger Things and Last of Us? if that made people come who wouldn't normally come? DD didn't get to come with us, and she went on and on about missing Stranger Things (although she loved the whole event when she went in 2021.)
the cost was a LOT once we added in express. We did not have much flexibility in schedule, We were already doing a trip over the fall break dates my son is out of school, week of Columbus Day, so only had a few nights to play with.
Tickets plus express were a total of about 560.00, for ONE night. (express were 179.00 each.) Hotel-$200.00. If we'd gone Wed night instead of Thursday, tickets and express were each at least $10 cheaper, , and we could've found a cheaper room. So about $800.00 for one night of HHN..... it a hard price to pay, but I LOVED the event.
Almost all houses were fabulous. Just 1 or 2 I found 'eh' but still really good. I also fault myself for just giving up about 11:30. i know I could've repeated a few houses if my feet/knees had held up and stayed until closing. I had really good scare zone experiences. Lots of scare actors in all of them, but agree that most were lacking in decorations and theming.
I"m not counting the cost of the Universal AP, because we bought it for our May/June trip
I'm already looking forward to next year's HHN!!!
We're Disney AP folks, and go there often, but really, really agree with Tony67, we could get a LOT more for our vacation dollars going elsewhere....hopefully, in a couple years when it's just DH and me planning travel, we'll get to Europe. Never been out of this country, except for 1 walk to Canada at Niagara Falls. Dreaming of a trip to England.....and some river cruises.
Also dreaming of going out west, and the California parks and scenery. Maybe will try that HHN next year.

Stranger Things
This has been a big factor over the years in the changes to HHN in many peoples opinion.

ST attracts a younger crowd - and they tend to come in larger groups - so its made things busy and made a lot of money for Universal it seems. No doubt to me the first year of Stranger things was the year the crowds really started and started to be much younger.

This also meant that the SAs in the scare zones had to tone things down a bit and not pick on folks and young kids even though they warn you in advance and you choose to go anyway.
I can remember the SAs really picking on folks - and maybe went a little too far sometimes - but it was fun to watch.
I recall a women who could not leave the Irish bar because one of the SAs had singled her out. no matter what door and how long she waited he was there.
I recall another trapped in the transformers store because an SA was tormenting her.
Yeah it was too much, but good times....

Even the guide for one of my tours brought that ap and they look at ST as a introduction to bring younger folks into HHN fold.

Last of US may have been a bigger draw this year hard to say - but the two combined is massive IMO - with Last of Us you had fans of the game and fans of the show who did not even know about the game just adding more people.

Lots of HHN stuff 70% off at the Universal Garage Sale - very annoyed it was not available at a good discount the Sunday or Monday before Halloween as it was last year. Even had it been 50% off I would have picked some things up.
Im sure the bean counters have it figured out and this is better...but I am disappointed.

Universal has and continues to celebrate their AP holders in many wonderful ways. They are unique in their respect of their AP holders. I hope that continues for years to come.
Would be nice if they continue the love once Epic U opens
I look forward to HHN every year. I want to go and see great houses, Scare Zones, Halloween theming. I want to be blown away every year and walk away saying I can’t wait for Universal to knock my socks off again next year. I also want to walk away feeling that the many hundreds of dollars I spent on Multi-night tickets, Tours, Merch and Food has been well worth it.
Who can argue with that?

Don’t mind spending the big bucks as long as the value is there for me

Great review of the event!
The worst thing IMO is you really need to buy your ticket's and book the tours before you even know most of the IPs as the price will go up.
Arguably, the best thing…for U lol

I still wonder if this year was a bit of an anomaly w IPs as popular as Stranger Things and Last of Us?

As Tony referenced below, ST put HHN on the map for a whole new demographic
We're Disney AP folks, and go there often, but really, really agree with Tony67, we could get a LOT more for our vacation dollars going elsewhere.
That’s the nature of travel in general

I assume most people have a breaking point/travel budget they work within as to cash they spend on travel each year.

There a big world out there, exploration is great. Can always come back to the theme parks. Up to the individual as to how they do eventually roll

There are people out there (unicorns?) who just do a one day tix, no extras and say the have the time of their lives. Believe the majority here are a bit more invested.

Add in FOMO and overall change in patterns since Covid (revenge travel is still a factor)…it’s a perfect storm for travel indulgences

No doubt to me the first year of Stranger things was the year the crowds really started and started to be much younger.

There was buzz prior, AHS & TWD come to mind. Nothing like ST for making it common for children to be at the event.

So I know I was going on about the scare zones this year quite a bit.

Was watching a video where the person was complaining about the lack of Christmas theming at the Red Coconut Club.

He then brought up that there are a lot of budget cuts going on because of Epic. Not stuff the casual fan would notice, but stuff people who are fully involved would notice.

He then went on to complain about bitter boys drinks. Yeah I agree they went a bit overboard with the bitters this year and found that amusing.

Anyway, that got me to thinking is that part of the reason the scare zones were so understaffed this year compared to previous years as far as I am concerned. With all the money I assume HHN brings in I cant see making cut there but who knows.

Would be interested to hear what others think or have heard - especially since I don't get into other fan boards beyond this one..

So I know I was going on about the scare zones this year quite a bit.

Was watching a video where the person was complaining about the lack of Christmas theming at the Red Coconut Club.

He then brought up that there are a lot of budget cuts going on because of Epic. Not stuff the casual fan would notice, but stuff people who are fully involved would notice.

He then went on to complain about bitter boys drinks. Yeah I agree they went a bit overboard with the bitters this year and found that amusing.

Anyway, that got me to thinking is that part of the reason the scare zones were so understaffed this year compared to previous years as far as I am concerned. With all the money I assume HHN brings in I cant see making cut there but who knows.

Would be interested to hear what others think or have heard - especially since I don't get into other fan boards beyond this one..
I’m on a Universal group on FaceBook- there have been a lot of complaints about the Grinch breakfast this year vs. last year. Something about less character interaction, not a buffet, worse food, etc. Those complaints are getting deleted pretty quickly (moderation tends to shut it down and says to email Customer Service… but whatever). But they’re also in a new place this year, so the change in venue could have caused some of these changes too.

I’m on a Universal group on FaceBook- there have been a lot of complaints about the Grinch breakfast this year vs. last year. Something about less character interaction, not a buffet, worse food, etc. Those complaints are getting deleted pretty quickly (moderation tends to shut it down and says to email Customer Service… but whatever). But they’re also in a new place this year, so the change in venue could have caused some of these changes too.
The review I read basically said it was breakfast with the Whos, followed by a photo with the Grinch. It’s now plated instead of the buffet of previous years, which wouldn’t be a huge deal to me, but the lack of the Grinch for the meal makes it too much money for not enough character. IMO, you can only charge a premium when you have a premium experience, whether that be through excellent food or excellent character interaction, but you can’t have both be mediocre without dropping the price.

Thanks - never joined the Universal group - I refuse to use face book - kind of a PITA as an AP.
Id be ok without the buffet if the food was good.
The first thing to go downhill for me at Disney was the food, so this sounds far too familiar.

The review I read basically said it was breakfast with the Whos, followed by a photo with the Grinch. It’s now plated instead of the buffet of previous years, which wouldn’t be a huge deal to me, but the lack of the Grinch for the meal makes it too much money for not enough character. IMO, you can only charge a premium when you have a premium experience, whether that be through excellent food or excellent character interaction, but you can’t have both be mediocre without dropping the price.
I'm surprised by this, cutting budget for something you pay for is ridiculous.
People want breakfast with the grinch, not just a photo afterwards.
I really don't care about the Who's they are kind of annoying. If they were my neighbors Id hate them too.

Thanks - never joined the Universal group - I refuse to use face book - kind of a PITA as an AP.
Id be ok without the buffet if the food was good.
The first thing to go downhill for me at Disney was the food, so this sounds far too familiar.

I'm surprised by this, cutting budget for something you pay for is ridiculous.
People want breakfast with the grinch, not just a photo afterwards.
I really don't care about the Who's they are kind of annoying. If they were my neighbors Id hate them too.
I’m not sure how much is conscious budget cutting and how much is the venue change. The Circus McGurkus is closed for renovations, so they moved it to Lombardi’s. They’re explaining the lack of Whoo theming as a result of the Grinch stealing the decorations. Going from a quick-serve to a table-serve venue explains the change from buffet to plated meal (but not the reportedly lackluster food). I guess maybe the restaurant layout is not as conducive to the Grinch circulating, which is why they have him in a separate place to do the meet before you leave? I don’t know. What I do know is that I kind of suck at coming up with things to say at character meets and always feel pressured to get the photo and move on for the next guest. From reading reviews of past Grinch breakfasts, a huge draw is listening to his sarcastic and grumpy interactions with the guests around you while you eat.

As I am not looking forward to queuing for two hours for my kid to meet the Grinch, I was considering splurging on breakfast reservations, but it doesn’t sound like the price point is commensurate with the experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter