Official Wine & Dine 2018

How about the "Disney to charge for overnight parking" rumors? Supposedly this is going to happen beginning later this month or next.

I’m surprised they haven’t been already. I know that it’s built into the price but it’s nice to get something for “free”.

How about the "Disney to charge for overnight parking" rumors? Supposedly this is going to happen beginning later this month or next.
The parking fee was always one of the things that bugs me about staying at the Swolfphin hotels. I wonder if it will be waived for AP/DVC people?

The parking fee was always one of the things that bugs me about staying at the Swolfphin hotels. I wonder if it will be waived for AP/DVC people?
Read on wdwnt that DVC members staying on points will not pay for parking. No mention of AP.

ETA: https://wdwnt.com/2018/03/breaking-...charging-resort-guests-for-overnight-parking/

ETA2: Disney made it official: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Don't need to be staying on points:

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Last edited:

Read on wdwnt that DVC members staying on points will not pay for parking. No mention of AP.
Since AP holders already get free parking, I would think that would continue. At the very least, they'd have to grandfather in current AP holders. If they pull that perk mid-year, there will be a lot of angry passholders demanding refunds since free parking is one of the perks that goes into our calculation of whether or not to buy APs.

Technically the parking perk for APs is for parks so they could still charge for resort parking.
True. So then instead of people parking at the resorts to try and avoid the park fee, they'll park at the parks and hop the bus, monorail, or boat to get over to the resorts. Not very convenient but it'll be a way around the fee.

We already pay for parking at Shades so needing to pay for overnight parking doesn’t really phase me.

If they charge for parking, I'll be looking at staying offsite.

The credit card thing sounds like it may be an issue with Chase cards? Hmm.

Especially if they continue to 'modernize' the rooms and wipe away 95% of the theming (I'm looking at you Coronado)...off site might mean an extra five minute drive, but the lodging would cost significantly less and might even include breakfast!!!

My Disney Visa has been compromised a couple of times, last during Marathon Weekend 2017. I talked to the Chase rep at length about how these things happen and they told me that the thieves essentially try small $1 charge authorizations on random card numbers and when they get an authorization, they then start using that card for "real" purchases. Specialty cards like the Disney Visa are even easier for them to identify valid numbers because the first 8 digits of the 16 are fixed, meaning they only have to "guess" 8 numbers to get a valid card.

This makes sense, but wouldn't there also be other specialty Visas where this is true?

And I don't know whose fault it really is, but I don't find the security to be all that great. I rarely update my address, CVV #, etc with online retailers and my charges always go through. I've used the card all over the country (and in Puerto Rico) without telling Chase I was traveling and only once did they ever ask me to confirm a purchase (a random gas station in MA). The recent fraud charges I had were from DoorDash with orders from restaurants in GA. 2 of those went through and I was told while on the phone with Chase that 2 others were denied because the address was wrong. But why did the first 2 get through then??

Anyway, mini rant over. I don't think we can ever fix credit card fraud. The only thing you can do is be diligent and report anything suspicious!

Just saw this on the Disney World AP benefits page:

Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend presented by MISFIT™

Event Dates: November 1 to 4, 2018
Early Registration for Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend for Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will open on Friday, March 16, 2018 at noon EST. Registration for the general public will open on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at noon EST. We apologize for the delay and look forward to hosting our runners for the race weekend at Walt Disney World Resort from November 1-4, 2018.

Last edited:
back to the fraud issue, I didn't register for the Princess half but I was in Disney that weekend, and used my card all over the expo and Disney. And just last weekend, I had fraudulent charges on my Disney visa. hmmmmmm.
hmmmmmm indeed.

Even though the parking discussion is off-topic, just wanted to let all of you know that it's official: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Guess when I do last minute trips where I can't use my DVC - I will be looking offsite as I can get a much better rate for similar hotels now. We always drive since we're not far away.

This also means the DVC rental market might get more rough as people will try to get reservations now to save on costs.

I stayed off site for the first (as an adult) in September and it was wonderful. The only thing I really missed was the EMH and that's not the end of the world. I may have felt differently if I did not have an AP and have to pay to park every day.

The hotel we stayed in was right near AK and the rooms were (IMO) nicer than the value and moderate resorts and included breakfast. We paid $55/night and I was able to redeem a free night I had with the website I used. We also got a good deal on a rental car and the freedom of not taking the busses is something I can never forget.

Guess when I do last minute trips where I can't use my DVC - I will be looking offsite as I can get a much better rate for similar hotels now. We always drive since we're not far away.

This also means the DVC rental market might get more rough as people will try to get reservations now to save on costs.
Yeah, this is what will probably push us to look at off-site locations for the first time since we started going to WDW together in 2009. I thought we'd always stay onsite, but it's getting to be too much.

Also:
"Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels."

WTH? I'm staying at a resort and PAYING for a spot, that had better guarantee that I can actually park there.
Still cheaper for me to stay at value for our upcoming trip but I can see deluxe guests getting mad quick.
That's us. We normally stay at deluxe resorts (thank you Mr. Ariel484 for turning me into a hotel snob!).
I stayed off site for the first (as an adult) in September and it was wonderful. The only thing I really missed was the EMH and that's not the end of the world. I may have felt differently if I did not have an AP and have to pay to park every day.

The hotel we stayed in was right near AK and the rooms were (IMO) nicer than the value and moderate resorts and included breakfast. We paid $55/night and I was able to redeem a free night I had with the website I used. We also got a good deal on a rental car and the freedom of not taking the busses is something I can never forget.
Can you PM me what hotel that was?? And I'm with you on not taking the buses, we just recently started renting cars at WDW and I don't think I can go back (yes it's a pain to drive to MK, but otherwise, SO much better!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter