• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ohana/Twilight feast questions

HollyMD

DIS Veteran
so my family of 4(me, DH, DD 14 and DS 3) are trying to decide on a dinner reservation at Ohana or to just do the Twilight feast in our room. What are the pros/cons of one over the other? And if we chose a roofing to Ohana, do they have some sort of “kids” meal other than the family meal they serve or can I bring the 3 yr old something in from a CS(we don’t think he will eat the other)? And if we chose the Twilight feast, I’ve heard they were big servings. So what should we order for the other 3 of us? 2 adults? And adult and child’s? Thanks for any help you can offer!

We did the Twilight Feast and loved it. We have not eaten at Ohana for dinner so I can’t compare them.

We really enjoyed the Twilight Feast. We had very large portions and this was in May after they had reportedly made the portions smaller.

I personally think 2 adults could split 1 adult portion and that the kids portion would be big enough for the 14 year old. But ... that’s based on how big ours were. To be safe I would maybe consider doing the 2 adult portions but if it was like ours, I think you’d have leftovers.

Also, my 3 & 2 year olds LOVED the dinner. I knew my 2 year old would but wasn’t sure about the 3 year old - she really ended up enjoying it. If you do the Twilight Feast in your room you could offer it to your 3 year old and then just have someone run down to Capt. Cook’s to pick up something if he doesn’t like it.

Unless you get some pixie dust, even if your 3 yr old doesn't eat AT the restaurant, you will be charged for them since it is an all-you-care-to-eat only restaurant. They do have some kid offerings they will bring to your table.

Personally, if I were staying at Ohana, I'd do the Twilight just because it will be cheaper than all of you going to the restaurant.

Last time we were at Ohana the waiter did offer us some chicken nuggets and fries if the kids didn’t like the typical offerings (they love the food at Ohana so no issues but it was nice to have the choice). I have also done the Twilight feast in the room once when my DD got the dreaded stomach bug on the first night of our vacay and we were stuck in the room for 3 straight days. I really enjoyed having my Ohana meal delivered to me that time since it was such a bummer having her so sick! I do really love the atmosphere of the restaurant and the kids love the coconut race so my vote would be to go to the restaurant!

My vote is for Ohana. We usually go but on our last trip we ordered the twilight feast instead. We only ordered one serving for three of us, but two of us are very light eaters, and there really just wasn’t enough for us, plus we had ordered an appetizer (crab cakes for $15 that ended up being one small crab cake). Plus, the food didn’t taste as fresh as it does at Ohana - it was on the cooler side like maybe most of the food sat while waiting for something to finish.

Up until we "strayed" and started staying at other hotels we always ordered the Twilight Feast at Poly; always nice to eat in PJs and always nice to not worry about getting an ADR for a much sought restaurant. No idea if they'll serve a substitute childrens' meal in the room but you can always ask. Depending on what longhouse you are staying Capt. Cook's isn't faraway and they'll have lots of kid friendlier meals. Last time we were there (1.5 years back?) ordering for 3 was enough to feed 4 healthy eaters with leftovers.

ETA: we are 2 adults, 1 Disney adult and a Disney child but not a toddler.

Last edited:

They don't offer a child's portion for the Twilight Feast anymore - at least they didn't when we were there last in September. We ordered two portions for DH, DD9 and myself. We were stuffed and had a little leftover. We asked for extra noodles instead of the veggies. For 2 adults and a 14 yo I would order 2 portions.

DD and I enjoyed ordering the Twilight Feast but DH preferred actually going to eat at Ohana.

so my family of 4(me, DH, DD 14 and DS 3) are trying to decide on a dinner reservation at Ohana or to just do the Twilight feast in our room. What are the pros/cons of one over the other? And if we chose a roofing to Ohana, do they have some sort of “kids” meal other than the family meal they serve or can I bring the 3 yr old something in from a CS(we don’t think he will eat the other)? And if we chose the Twilight feast, I’ve heard they were big servings. So what should we order for the other 3 of us? 2 adults? And adult and child’s? Thanks for any help you can offer!

I think the pro of eating at O'hana is simply the atmosphere. If your 3 year old doesn't like the O'hana offerings, the server can get other kid-friendly items (chicken tenders, fries, etc.) from Kona for your child. You will be charged full price for all 4 people, though.

The pro of Twilight Feast is, you could save some money by simply ordering two portions of the meal and some kids' items for your 3-year old. I, personally, always feel cramped eating in my hotel room, however, but I know some people enjoy it!

I have stayed at the poly the last couple of times and considered the room service option but opted for the restaurant instead.

The thing about the restaurant is you can have as much or as little as you like. My son got kid's mac and cheese and a ton of steak and a kid dessert along with bread pudding (even though he is 10 so adult prices) and I ate mostly veggies, shrimp, steak and a potsticker or two. We probably could have shared one twilight feast but I would have had to give up the steak to him and ordered him an extra mac and cheese and we would have had to eat in our room, all of which probably would have cost less but would have hindered the experience a bit for me. I'm glad we went to the restaurant because I didn't have to organize and divide the room service, we both just ate whatever the heck we wanted in a table overlooking the castle. They did let me wrap up the remainder of the bread pudding and I ate a little bit of it every day the whole rest of the trip.

I'd vote for restaurant even though it is not cheaper. for what it costs to fly there, park tickets, stay at the poly - I'm not going to eat in my room to save $50!

I have stayed at the poly the last couple of times and considered the room service option but opted for the restaurant instead.

The thing about the restaurant is you can have as much or as little as you like. My son got kid's mac and cheese and a ton of steak and a kid dessert along with bread pudding (even though he is 10 so adult prices) and I ate mostly veggies, shrimp, steak and a potsticker or two. We probably could have shared one twilight feast but I would have had to give up the steak to him and ordered him an extra mac and cheese and we would have had to eat in our room, all of which probably would have cost less but would have hindered the experience a bit for me. I'm glad we went to the restaurant because I didn't have to organize and divide the room service, we both just ate whatever the heck we wanted in a table overlooking the castle. They did let me wrap up the remainder of the bread pudding and I ate a little bit of it every day the whole rest of the trip.

I'd vote for restaurant even though it is not cheaper. for what it costs to fly there, park tickets, stay at the poly - I'm not going to eat in my room to save $50!
Actually at least on the dining plan it's more expensive to eat in the room rather than the restaurant: 2 TS for private dining vs 1 TS at 'Ohana.
I enjoyed doing it both ways-eating in the room as well as the restaurant as they both have different advantages/disadvantages. One decided advantage for in room eating is the minute the kiddos finish eating they rush to take their sticky hands into the shower with the fastest one getting the first shot at cleanliness and the "loser" dejectedly drowning their sorrow with another glass of the fruit juice mixture what I don't recall the name but it's soooooo good:D.

Actually at least on the dining plan it's more expensive to eat in the room rather than the restaurant: 2 TS for private dining vs 1 TS at 'Ohana.
I enjoyed doing it both ways-eating in the room as well as the restaurant as they both have different advantages/disadvantages. One decided advantage for in room eating is the minute the kiddos finish eating they rush to take their sticky hands into the shower with the fastest one getting the first shot at cleanliness and the "loser" dejectedly drowning their sorrow with another glass of the fruit juice mixture what I don't recall the name but it's soooooo good:D.
I just wipe mine down with the hot towel (he doesn't eat the shrimp so he doens't get any more messy than usual). The POG juice is awesome and even more awesome with vodka and peach schnaps at tusker house OMG

My picky 5 year old ate the grilled chicken from Ohana and the copious amounts of Mac and cheese they brought him plus dumplings. He was in heaven and just mentioned wanting to do the same thing next trip.

We debated this before our October Poly stay and ended up canceling our ADR and doing the Twilight Feast. Our logic was that we can get a ADR to ‘Ohana at any time on a future trip even if we stay elsewhere, but the Twilight Feast is unique experience we could only have as Poly guests. Plus we hit MK hard that day with no break (it was a party day so the park closed early). We were exhausted and had no desire to then shower and change and deal with the madness of ‘Ohana during the dinner rush. So we got the room service and ate it on the balcony in our pjs.

I will say it was a tremendous amount of food even for two adult women who sometimes eat like Hobbits. Next time we are definitely just getting one adult portion. But we thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely plan on making it a tradition.

I just wipe mine down with the hot towel (he doesn't eat the shrimp so he doens't get any more messy than usual). The POG juice is awesome and even more awesome with vodka and peach schnaps at tusker house OMG
We generally order a bottle of club soda to mix w/ the POG (thanks for the name!) since bubbles make every thing better. The Tusker House version sounds yummy too. I'd need a hot bath sheet to wipe down one of the kids so might as well stick him in the shower as his cousin will be spending a goodly portion of her life in there soon enough. It's about time to get her her own room or at least one with 2 bathrooms when we vac. At home she even does her school work in there. When I tell her I grew up in a household with 1 bathroom and four females she gets this look of horror on her face....:lmao:

Another question- if we chose the Twilight feast, is the earliest we can get 3:30, or can we do it as a lunch?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter