OKW and your retirement plans

tvwalsh

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
One often repeated theme is OKW as a great place for retired people, especially snowbirds. I have met my goal of adding on until I totalled 500 points ( 230 at OKW) and am planning on using them primarily to get a one bedroom each year for the better part of January or February. Of course, Concierge Collection trades and points given to relatives as well as the need for a two bedroom this year to bring the kids and grandkids, has reduced us to a twelve day stay (Jan 11-23) this year, but someday...

What are your retirement plans for OKW?

I don't know if my plans will change that much - definitely will go more - I think - but still probably 5 to 6 days in Sept, Dec - maybe add May, Mar -

I am not going to buy any more points (at this time) because I think I have enough (just have to stop being so nice to friends, family and co-workers).

We have enough points to stay from Dec 24th thru Feb 24th in a studio at OKW.... and dont think we havent dreamed about doing it!

More realistly a one bedroom for the whole month of Jan would suit us better!

Our retirement plans involve being able to visit OKW more often. One reason we're planning to move to Alabama when we retire is so that we can take more trips to WDW without having to spend the money flying. Where we are now, every trip involves either a lot of money to fly or a lot of time to drive. So when DH isn't playing golf in Alabama, you can find him at LBV and me at the parks!

We're planning to retire in Florida. That means many long weekends at OKW with a week thrown in here and there.

Another Idea would be for Disney to convert OKW into a retirement community for DVC'ers.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :wave: :jester:

Starting in January of 2005 we will be there all of January through the first 2 weeks of Feb. We will be staying off site so we can make the most of our points and stretch our stay. It is about 80 points for a one bedroom in Jan for 5 days at OKW if my memory serves me. Staying at the Hilton some of the weekends and maybe renting a condo unit also off campus we should have a great time getting out of the cold up here in CT>

Originally posted by Basser
Another Idea would be for Disney to convert OKW into a retirement community for DVC'ers.

LOL - There ya go!! Sign me up!!! :bounce: :bounce:

My goal is to spend all of January and half of February at the BWV. Right now, I am working toward that, as I have ressies from Jan. 15 through Feb. 17, but in order to totally accomplish that goal, I must wean myself away from my December trips. (Not an easy thing to do!) Or add-on once again. :rolleyes:

I love extended stays at the BWV. It's great not paying attention to a calendar or clock! :)

Well I am so glad you started this thread. This is one of the main reasons we joined DVC. I retire in less than 2 years now (actually looking at my countdown clock :D - it's 699 days 1 hr 34 mins. and 28 secs). I hate cold weather and here in N.C. it seems like lately we've gotten hit with it bad each winter. If it's not 16 inchs of snow, it's ice bringing down trees and power lines (which is alot worse than the snow). After I retire I plan to spend about a month in Florida starting about 2nd week of January going to mid-February. And DVC is going to make it affordable. I plan to start with about a week at VWL (being carefull of Fr and Sat points), then drive to Miami and take a week long cruise, then after the cruise drive down to Key West and stay a couple of days, then drive either back to Vero Beach or WDW and spend another week at a DVC resort. I am really looking forward to doing this. I have a 401K account setup to finance my annual winter trip for the things that will cost above and beyond our DVC points.

WTG Wolfpackfan!

Dh and I have a couple more years until we retire and your plan sounds a lot like ours!!!

pin

Originally posted by WolfpackFan
I hate cold weather and here in N.C. it seems like lately we've gotten hit with it bad each winter. If it's not 16 inchs of snow, it's ice bringing down trees and power lines (which is alot worse than the snow).

This will crack you up WolfpackFan! Right up until yesterday, my DH and I still had NC in the running as a place to move to...our reasoning was that your weather in NC beats the heck out of ours in MA, LOL! I guess that NC weather is not so great after all:rolleyes: We've ruled NC out for another reason alltogether, and it looks like we're moving to FL after all:p :) I can't wait! Last winter was the last straw for us here...it was horrible!!

WE have been retired for 2 years now, we spend January thru March in Florida. Lucky for us my sister-in-law lives in Tampa so we alternate a couple of weeks at her home, then OKW for a week, then back to Tampa for a couple of weeks,and so on! This allows us to spend about 4 weeks at OKW during the winter months! We also spend another week in December, this is a tradition that goes way back, we have to visit WDW for the holidays! This works out great for us, alot cheaper then renting or buying a home there.

If we don't move to Florida(4 years to retirement)...........we plan on spending Jan and 2-3 weeks in Feb at OKW to get away from the Ohio winters.

My wife and I own 300 points at BCV, but just spent four nights at OKW. We definitely will consider a OKW add-on when we retire. (Hopefully in about three years; I'm a teacher with 30 years). We definitely want to look at Saratoga Springs as well, but OKW was very enjoyable, including the meal we had at Olivia's the last night. I hope to take my son, his wife, and two grandchildren to OKW for a stay sometime, as well. We're going to BCV next June, staying in two studios (We just don't think we'll get our points' worth from a kitchen that won't get used very much), but a two-bedroom (or two studios) at OKW is definitely a possibility in the future.

It sounds like many of us northern DVC'ers think alike! If are not moving down south, we are looking to spend much of Jan/Feb at a DVC resort. Unfortunately, we have 10 yrs before retirement (but are thinking ahead). Four yrs from now, we may seriously think of purchasing in the northern part of FL. (just a thought).

Originally posted by chrissyk
This will crack you up WolfpackFan! Right up until yesterday, my DH and I still had NC in the running as a place to move to...our reasoning was that your weather in NC beats the heck out of ours in MA, LOL!

Our weather has really been strange in the last few years. Usually winters haven't been too bad - in fact sometimes we've had real warm weather in January and February. But lately we've really been hit. Three years ago we had a major snow storm - 15 inchs. That is unprecedented for this area. The trend though lately has been ice storms. We were without power for a week back last November because of falling trees. Then we had another one back in January. Then of course there are the hurricanes. We're in Raleigh about 2 hours or more from the coast - and Hurricane Fran went right over our house. Caused major problems that we're still feeling the effects of. Hurricane Floyd came after that and the flooding was terrible.

I hate to run down my own State - but if possible I'd move to Florida tommorrow. I'd love to live in Orlando.

Originally posted by WolfpackFan
Our weather has really been strange in the last few years. Usually winters haven't been too bad - in fact sometimes we've had real warm weather in January and February. But lately we've really been hit. Three years ago we had a major snow storm - 15 inchs. That is unprecedented for this area. The trend though lately has been ice storms. We were without power for a week back last November because of falling trees. Then we had another one back in January. Then of course there are the hurricanes. We're in Raleigh about 2 hours or more from the coast - and Hurricane Fran went right over our house. Caused major problems that we're still feeling the effects of. Hurricane Floyd came after that and the flooding was terrible.

I hate to run down my own State - but if possible I'd move to Florida tommorrow. I'd love to live in Orlando.

Ice storms are terrible:( I really hate them because they're so dangerous. We don't get too many here thankfully, but other parts of New England do unfortunately. We do get brutal cold for the better part of every year, though, and we're tired of it. We want to raise our kids somewhere where we don't have to stay inside the house 8-9 months out of the year because of the weather :D Central FL seems like a good fit!

I already own a home in FL and plan to retire there for the majority of the year with the rest of the year spent in my other home at the NJ shore. Opposite of what I currently do. Once I retire I will spend the bulk of my time in my FL home and take frequent long trips to WDW using my DVC pts, but I will be staying at either BWV or BCV, not OKW.

This is thread is another oldie but goodie! It is amazing what a two of three week stay at OKW can do to help shorten the winter. If I can go to OKW for a month, I actually like the climate in Wisconsin.

We already live in Florida, but I am still planning to winter at OKW.

I am planning to buy another 200 points in another two or three years. I am hoping OKW resales begin to decline at some point and bu another four or five hundred, would like to see enough points for 26 or 33 days in a GV each winter.

My wife could get an offer somewhere far away, I do like Florida alot, but a good offer could get us back in NY someday. Even if we just stay in Florida, my hope, we have many relatives up north, winter OKW GV will be nice and we will never be short of guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter