OKW and your retirement plans

So, how have your plans worked out? Anyone have new plans to add ???? What is like for those living the dream????? :cloud9:

We have enough points to stay from Dec 24th thru Feb 24th in a studio at OKW.... and dont think we havent dreamed about doing it!

More realistly a one bedroom for the whole month of Jan would suit us better!

That's what I would like too! Unfortunately, we only have 380 OKW points, that doesn't go far each year. We aren't in a position to pay dues on more than that now either, and we still have the 69 AKV points too. We like our 10-12 night stays, and I think we'll stick with that plan for now. That being said, we are only going for week long trips this next season. We have a week in a 1 bedroom booked for December, and a GV booked a week for January with friends. Then I'm probably going to wait until December '11 before our next trip, and that one will likely be our normal 10-12 nights in a 1 bedroom. We'll use 2012 points for an extended March trip.

Semi Retired here. I just work the least amount as possible:thumbsup2 Went to college here and we were reverse snowbirds Staying the summers in FL and a good bit of time between OKW,VB and the other Disney Resorts. when DD was out of school. Made the year round move just over 3 yrs ago after she graduated highschool.
I wonder if we'll still like Disney as much once we're living 10 minutes away, LOL!
Everyone is different but we have not growed tired of it.If anything we enjoy it much more and you get a different perspective of things. We only live a few miles on the backside of the MK. DW is a PT CM as is DD They work 2 days a week. We're headed down to Celebration now to meet DW for lunch in a bit at Columbia. Staying at OKW Sunday and Mon for the 4th.We have cats so don't have to worry about who is going to watch them. We can run home a few times a day to check on them/and the house and feed them. Was supposed to go to Epcot today but its raining and supposed to rain most of the day. Had 4" yesterday. If anything if you really love Disney being nearby makes it more convenient and you don't have to be forced to go when you don't want to.You can just run in to do one or two things then leave (Well when you have people claiming to be long lost relatives showing up on your doorstep. Run and hide LOL) Good luck in your housebuilding.pirate:

The reality is that OKW doesn't fit into our retirement plans much more than now (a week or two a year) because DH isn't nearly as big a Disney "nut" as I am. However, he knows that if anything happens to him, I'd be packed and down at OKW, working in the general store, walking back to my villa in the evenings. However, back to reality. As I told our guide when he called and asked if we wanted to extend our contract to 2055 (or whenever the exact time was). When OKW expires in 2042, DH and I will be 91 and 90 yo, so we plan to sit on our balcony with a couple of Sultry Seahorses and expire along with our contract. What a way to go!

We bought enough points to stay in a 1 bedroom at OKW for 6 weeks in Jan. - Feb. But so far we haven't been able to be away for more than a week at a time for a number of reasons. But even if things change it would be hard to give up multiple trips per year. I would like to try a week in October, a week in early December, 2 - 3 weeks in Jan. - Mar. and 1 week in late April. The anticipation of each trip is part of the enjoyment for me.

... When OKW expires in 2042, DH and I will be 91 and 90 yo, so we plan to sit on our balcony with a couple of Sultry Seahorses and expire along with our contract. What a way to go!

This is the most amazing and POWERFUL line I have ever read on the DIS!!!

Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
... When OKW expires in 2042, DH and I will be 91 and 90 yo, so we plan to sit on our balcony with a couple of Sultry Seahorses and expire along with our contract. What a way to go!

This is the most amazing and POWERFUL line I have ever read on the DIS!!!

We should be so lucky!

Yeah, in 2042, we'll be 96 and 95.....We'll expire with our contract as well, as long as we don't kick off before that!

My old 2003 post:
Quote:
My goal is to spend all of January and half of February at the BWV. Right now, I am working toward that, as I have ressies from Jan. 15 through Feb. 17, but in order to totally accomplish that goal, I must wean myself away from my December trips. (Not an easy thing to do!) Or add-on once again.

I love extended stays at the BWV. It's great not paying attention to a calendar or clock

2008 Post: I have been spending about a month at the BWV in the winter, and have shifted my usual vacation dates from mid-Jan/mid-Feb to mostly all in January (fewer points needed). I have not cut out my Dec trips, and now also go in Oct.

Note: I did add on a few times. I couldn't cut out an annual December trip.

2010 Update: I still vacation at the BWV for most of January (Jan 4-29 next year). And still go there in October and December. :cloud9:

My points don't go as far as they used to, however. DS and friends have been doing the January 5K and half-marathon--and they love the BWV pool bar! What's a mother to do?!? :rotfl:

Yeah, in 2042, we'll be 96 and 95.....We'll expire with our contract as well, as long as we don't kick off before that!

I'm thinkin' all of us 80ish-99er party animals are gonna be rockin' at the Gurgling Suitcase in 2042! They better start reinforcing those balconies! :woohoo: :banana: :yay: :thumbsup2 :dance3: :goodvibes

In 2042, DW and I will be the "young whippersnappers" in the bunch at 87 for me and 79 for her. While y'all are sitting on the veranda sipping your adult beverage of choice (alcoholic or warm milk), we'll be trying not to break a hip or throw a back out dancing somewhere! :banana:

My contracts at SSR expire in 2054. I'll be 94 and hopefully still going strong.

My retirement plans (right now) are to retire to somewhere close to Disney in 10-12 years so that I can work for the Mouse a couple of days a week and enjoy the weather the rest of the time :hug:. Indiana winters aren't any fun any more:rolleyes1.

So, how have your plans worked out? Anyone have new plans to add ???? What is like for those living the dream????? :cloud9:

Creeeaaaaaakkkkkk. I think I saw moths fly out of this thread when I opened it up.

My contracts at SSR expire in 2054. I'll be 94 and hopefully still going strong.

My retirement plans (right now) are to retire to somewhere close to Disney in 10-12 years so that I can work for the Mouse a couple of days a week and enjoy the weather the rest of the time :hug:. Indiana winters aren't any fun any more:rolleyes1.

When our OKW contract expires in 2042, I will be 82 and my DW 83. Our plan as of now is to get a place in the Lake Nona area and work PT at WDW if possible. My DW can't think of selling DVC, so my guess is we will keep it for the kids, but use it a little ourselves, too. Before then, it would be great to spend the worst of the winter in Florida. The winters in New England are getting longer, colder, snowier, and "grey-er" --- or maybe it just feels that way.

BTW -- I love this thread!!!!!

mac_tlc

For the past 3 years, we have actually spent 6 weeks at DVC in February and March. We like SSR better than OKW as we use studios and have a sofa to sit on. We do most of our cooking-eating in the studio. We also spend time at VB in an Inn Room. It takes too many points to use a 1 bedroom. Actually indoor camping in DW is better than back home in Wisconsin during the winter.:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter