OKW Question

postalone

Earning My Ears
I want to try the OKW resort (never been there), but will be taking an elderly person who cannot walk long distances. Does OKW have elevators? They most definately cannot do stairs!

As an alternate, I was thinking about getting a regular room at WL instead, hoping to be able to get near the boat docks. What would you do? Any suggestions? This trip would be in January, so crowds will be minimal.

Nancy

OKW has 3 buildings with elevator access, but all buildings have villas with ground floor access and no stairs to climb. You should make that a request when the reservation is made and explain the reason for the request.

On your reservation confirmation, it should say something like "First Floor or elevator building for medical reasons."
One thing about WL, is that for someone who can't walk lond distances, it can be a ways to get to the boat dock. Inside the hotel there is a long, fairly steep ramped area to get down from the lobby level to the level where you go outside for the dock.
Another thing to think about is renting an ecv (electric scooter) or wheelchair for that person. If you are worried about the distances at the resort, they will surely have problems with the parks. The advantage of renting from one of the off-site places is that the ecv or wheelchair will also be available for use at the resort. You can find out more information by clicking on the disABILITIES link in my signature. There is a disABILITIES FAQs thread close to the top of the board.

We always get a scooter for my Mom when at WDW. It allows her to "run with the pack!" She can do short distances on her own, but like Sue said, WDW is famous for long distances. Overall my parents prefer OKW. We always ask for a ground floor unit (very easy request as many request upper floors for the view). My husband will park right out front for her and she scoots right into her room. The OKW rooms are very spacious so the scooter can be parked right in the living area to recharge. Even the studios are fairly roomy so the scooter doesn't take up too much of the space.

We stayed at WL this spring and we had a ball. They were very kind and gave us a room close to the lobby. Nevertheless, it is a hike to the snack bar, pool and especially the boat dock. Mom used her scooter to get around within the resort. Even getting to the parking lot tothe HC spots is a distance for someone who has trouble walking. The layout of OKW, where you can park right out front, is probably easiest for anyone with limited mobility.

Thanks for the input. I've decided to go with the 1BR at OKW, and try to talk her into a wheelchair or scooter. She is too proud for that, but has never been to disney and doesn't understand the magnatude!

Nancy

postalone said:
Thanks for the input. I've decided to go with the 1BR at OKW, and try to talk her into a wheelchair or scooter. She is too proud for that, but has never been to disney and doesn't understand the magnatude!

Nancy
I am 58 years old and needed an ECV for two trips a year and a half ago when mt health was bad. It has nothing to do with pride. I had no problems using the electric scooter, and it was very easy to get on and off the buses. The bus drivers are marvelous at helping.

postalone said:

Nancy
Take her for a ride in the car and mark out a 1.3 mile distance. That's the distance around World Showcase in Epcot.
Or, if there is something that you know the mileage to from her housee, use that to help her "see" the distances involved. It's a lot harder to visualize the idea of walking 3-8 miles a day while you are at WDW than it is to visualize walking to and from the neighborhood grocery store (that might be 2 miles away) several times in a day.

I can sympathize with anyone who has to do a wheelchair or ECV for the first time. I was shocked when I used a wheelchair last year when I was in poor health--it erases you. People talk to the able-bodied around you, but not directly to YOU. When I would give the salespeople $$, they gave the change back to my DD!! :confused3

The buses can be very difficult, as well, at WDW. If they can't do stairs, they won't be able to climb the stairs on the buses, either. Maybe they will use the wheelchair or ECV part-time if they understand the magnitude of the under-taking that WDW can be. It is very difficult if you have trouble getting around, and I am only 54. If you are talking about someone truly elderly--like 55 or older :teeth: they may have to bite the bullet, and use the wheelchair. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter