OMG! Received a beneficiary letter!

lailah

Disneymom
My husband received a letter from a 'reputable' insurance company yesterday claiming that they have been trying to reach his aunt since 1998 regarding her insurance policies. She passed away just about that time. The letter said that they had finally found the information that she was deceased and have been looking for HIM because he is the beneficiary on 2 life insurance policies that she had at work from 1951-1971. Imagine our surprise! He was just born in 51 so she must have at some time changed her beneficiary to him. He called the company and gave them the policy numbers and they said yes in deed that he was who they were looking for (we've been in our home for 35 years?) so we need to send a copy of the death certificate and fill out the form they sent along with it. If he doesn't claim it, then it goes in the 'unclaimed money fund' for another relative to claim. They wouldn't give him any more information on the phone, but are mailing it to him on Monday. Once they get his paperwork, it takes 7 days to process and the checks are in the mail. He's like 'what the heck?' I didn't even think she really liked me!" :confused3 We were always very kind to her and she always came to our children's bd parties and brought them a 'half gallon' of ice cream as their gift. :) (She also had a tendancy to talk to people in her home and said they lived in her rafters :rolleyes1 ). She lived a few blocks from us and my husband used to cut her grass when he was in jr and sr high school (FYI that's how we met. I lived right behind her and of course I was always IN THE BACKYARD! ;) )

Well, we are very surprised and grateful to her. Now our game is to try and figure out how much they were for. That was pretty long ago and the lady said they have to recalculate it (whatever that means).

So we are giving thanks to Aunt Mary for thinking about him soooo long ago! :hug:

I don't want to be doom and gloom.. just want to throw my "be careful" hat on for a second.

What information are they asking for on the form they want him to send back? If it's anything like SSN, mother's maiden name, etc. please, please be careful. When you called to ask about this, did you call a national number for the insurance company that you found on their website or a number that was included in the letter they sent?

I hope this is real for you, but please be careful as there are way too many scams out there and thieves are always coming up with new ones. If the information they're asking for is anything regarding SSN or an "account where they can deposit the money," it would be all the makings of an identity theft.

Good luck. :hug:

I agree with Cruise, there are sooooo many scams out there. Please use caution and I would look for the number on the internet and call them on Monday before providing them with any information just to be sure it is legit.

:)

1) Hey, Hey.
2) Another from Lorain Cty (Elyria)!

3) After you check-out the company, go for the bucks.
4) I would check the phone number through the phone book & web.
5) Then, call themk back using the published number.
6) Just to make sure the firm is legit, but I it sounds real.

7) By the way.
8) I think your husband and I are related. Closely related. Very closely related.
9) Hey, Bro, how about sharing the treasure with Yo' Blood?

Ok, I looked at the letter and it is on their letterhead and I actually spoke to the person who signed the letter (not a copied signature). The enclosed paperwork and instructions are all on their papers. I actually called the number twice and spoke to another person who verified everything on the paperwork they sent. They also have a return envelope to put the paperwork in going to their company and on the envelope is written in red 'death claims'. I'm pretty sure it's legit. There are many insurance companies listed on the claimant form that are under them.

Here's what the letter said (2 paragraphs):
"We would like to fulfill our obligation under insurance policies that were never claimed at the time of Ms. XXXXX death. Since you were named beneficiary on these policies, we ask that you complete the enclosed Claimant's Statement and return it to us along with a copy of the insured's death certificate. A return envelope is provided for your reply.

If we don not hear from you, we will be required to treat the policy proceeds as unclaimed funds, making them subject to payment to the state as an abandoned property".

What do you all think? :confused: Maybe I'll make one more call on Monday.

I'd be calling a lawyer to look at the paperwork...
It should be a quick glance and well worth the $$ to pay someone to take a look...
If it's really legitimate...it will be worth it...
If it's not legitimate... you'll lose way more time and $$ trying to straighten out your credit...

Just my opinion...Hope it works out for you! :goodvibes

Ok, took the advice and looked them up on the web and found the number that I had to call. It was right there. :thumbsup2

I hate to be a nay-sayer...but that doesn't sound legit to me....did the letter that you had to fill out ask for your social security number? How did they find out that she is deceased? Hmmmm...I would be very suspicious.

I would put in a call to your state attorney general's office to make sure it isn't a scam. Also look up the company at the BBB and just a general google on the net. Is it a nationally known company?

If the phone number that you called matches the number that was published for this co. than you should be fine. It isn't like the aunt died yesterday and someone pulled it up from the death notices and besides if you were not the beneficiary really where would the connection between a nephew and aunt be practical knowledge. I'd be careful, but I wouldn't be over the top suspicious.

I would be careful! I've heard of the dead relative scam! They are doing it over the phone, too.

Congrats! I say, this is a sign that it's time for you to start planning your next Disney trip!

Our trip this past summer was paid for by the small amount left from one of my aunt's who passed last fall. The money wasn't enough to do anything life changing, but it was enough to pay for a week at Movies!

The company is MetLife (FYI) so I'm thinking we're good to go. Also, I think MAYBE we'll take a little trip. Haven't been down to the world since May of 2007 and we DID get a code for free dining.......:rolleyes1 Guess we'll know by Wednesday what the amount is. I'm thinking..........:woohoo:

I think it sounds completely legitimate. Why, if the phone number for the known insurance company is the same on the letter, as the phone number available when you look it up yourself, would you think it is a scam? This is her aunt, who worked at said company, who had a relationship with the beneficiary. It isn't a long lost former Nigerian King who needs money wired out of the country,

Since when do insurance companies try to locate the beneficiaries? I wasn't aware that they did that. I worked for a large insurance company and the only way we found that someone was deceased is when the beneficiary brought forth the policy and the death certificate to make a claim. How did they know she was deceased? Was there more than one beneficiary and someone else reported her deceased? This part does not sound kosher to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter