• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our First Trip to Hilton Head, Y'all! We are SOLD!

Ditto here except we are booked for the last week in October this year. Can't wait to read how your trip progressed, activities available, restaurants to visit and PICS, PICS, PICS! :lmao:

Ditto here as well except we are booked for the first week of October. We did an overnight last year (it is nicely halfway to WDW and home for us) and are hooked. Big surprise for me as DW is very very fair with red hair (she is the fairest of all to me):love:

The kids love it as well so we plan on going there more often. We may even buy in there at some point.

Love your report. Making me long for "home." Also love the Pittsburgh references!

Thanks for the review of One Hot Mama. We try to add one new eating out place each year and that was on our list of a place that everyone might like. You sold me. I actually was thinking of NOT cooking any dinners in the room and just eating out all week. My kids all said -- no, way, you have to make your special chicken and pasta. Trust me -- nothing special about it...just 14 years of it and I guess we have a tradition. B'Lou is a gem for sure. He used to do the story telling at night under one of the old Oaks....now that put you in the mood for ghost stories. Probably freaked out too many 2 year olds though.

Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for the excellent review. I'm ready to go now. :)

Go Steelers!!!

You will NOT be disappointed in One Hot Mama's! Especially the prices. A great value! Next time we are down we want to try the Sunday Brunch at OHM's! Looked incredible!

Thanks for the kind comments!

Podsnel directed me over here to read your TR. I am going to HH Oct 23rd for 5 nights and I am really looking forward to it. I got a phenomenal deal on a member cash rate for the last 4 nights of the trip. $150/night for a 2BR. What a deal! I kept my points in the bank.

It's a girls trip and I would like to make a basic itinerary of things we want to do. The Dolphin tour sounds fun. We are also going to try to drive to Charleston and Savannah for day trips. There's so much I want to do and such little time.

Thanks for all your info so far.

Where did you get that awesome deal???

Love your trip report! I sooooo want to go back:lovestruc

Do you think the dolphin cruise is available year round?

I know that I went on a dolphin cruise in February a few years ago. Saw dolphins then, too.

Where did you get that awesome deal???

Off-season rates are MUCH lower. In November, we paid less than $100 for a studio, and this coming November it's about $125 for a 1 BR, with the member's discount only, no other discount.

The thought of that is hysterical! BTW, you mentioned One Hot Mamas. Did you know that the owner is one of the contestants on the Food Network Show, "Food Network Star"? She's Orchid and she seems so nice that we're considering going to her resturaunt on our next HHI trip.

Oh my gosh! I was just watching the "Cougartown" episode yesterday when she told Paula Deen she was from HHI. I told my DH now there's another reason I really like her! I was wondering if she had a hand in any of the HHI restaurants. Oh yay! Can't wait to try One Hot Mama's on our next trip to HHI. Thanks for that tidbit!!

I love this trip report! Makes me long for a HHI trip! In fact, I priced out one yesterday for the first weekend in August (yes, just a month away). Southwest had a DING to Spartanburg/Greenville airport for just $40 each way from Louisville. Now I know that's almost 4 hours away but that's better than a 12 hour drive from here! But alas, there was no availability for the time frame we needed.

I did go on the WDW website today and checked availability for each day individually. I about croaked when a Saturday night studio was $389!!! OUCH!!

Guess we'll be waiting until next year. Thanks for writing this fabulous trip report. Off to check out the resale sites for HHI...

All great things must come to an end. . . .Thus, our trip to HHI had to come to an end. . .

We checked out of the hotel and headed for a day trip to Savannah. The drive to Savannah is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy the trip! But then you see it. . . This GORGEOUS high bridge leading to the city of Savannah. Breathtaking!

We dropped my DW off to get in line for the Paula Deen restaurant. In case you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years, in addition to excellent historical sights and squares, Savannah is the home to Paula Deen. Her restaurant downtown, The Lady & Sons, is a mecca for those who love southern cooking, butter, and the phrase "Y'All". They do NOT take reservations in advance. To get a seat for that day, you have to line-up outside the restaurant. They begin taking these reservations at 9:30 AM. You can choose between a lunch slot (11:00 - 3:00) or a dinner slot (5:00 - closing, no exact time is given on the door, just a "?"). DW got in line at 9:30 and the line was already wrapped around the corner. As you got close to the front of the line and the podium, they split the group into two lines, lunch and dinner. We wanted lunch so DW got into that line. By the time she made her way to the podium at 10:15 for lunch reservations, she had her choice of an 11:00 or any time between 2:15 - 3:00. She snagged the 2:15 time. Not quite sure when they officially "sold out" for the day, but it was before noon. Bottom line, if you want your choice of times, line-up early. If you can go with the flow, you can probably skip the early line-up, show up at 9:30 and you SHOULD be fine. As with all things in life, your experience and mileage may differ. . . .More about lunch in a bit.

My DW and I decided that the best way to see the city is to do one of those touristy "bus tour." We chose "Old Savannah Tours" simply because they had a booth set-up right across the street from Paula Deen's restaurant. So while DW stood in line, DS and I purchased our tickets for the bus tour. They sent a "bus" to come pick us up and send us to the main "depot" for the departures. We boarded our open booth and began our tour. I have to say, it was great! For a total of $51, we got a day of on/off privileges, and a FANTASTIC way to see the city.

IMG_1421.jpg

Some of the great sites we saw: The square where Forrest Gump filmed the infamous Park Bench scenes. Our tour included a special guest! Check out who boarded our bus at that square!

IMG_1424.jpg

He was looking for Jenny's house and wondered if we knew where we could find her. It was somewhat cheesy, yet great at the same time. Here are more pictures from around the town:

This is the actual Forrest Gump square:
IMG_1426.jpg

A great pub used in a Julia Roberts movie. . .
IMG_1427.jpg

The line for Ms. Wilkes. There is a huge fight in Savannah over who makes the best fried chicken. Mrs. Wilkes seems to be the favorite. I think the battle is kind of like the whole "soda" and "pop" fight between Maryland and Western PA residents. My relatives are still angry that I have joined the "soda" team. . . .So here's a picture for the line outside Mrs. Wilkes. Next time, we'll try it. . . .
IMG_1428.jpg

Do we look like tourists or what?
IMG_1435.jpg

Typical GORGEOUS Savannah home:
IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

A trip to Savannah HAS to include the riverfront. You have not LIVED until you try a fresh candied praline from a candy shop on the riverfront!
IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

DS2 thanking his mom for the tour!
IMG_1442.jpg

And DS12 loving the tour as well!
IMG_1423.jpg

Needless to say, we loved the tour. Our guide was extremely informative and worth every penny we paid for the tour. I would suggest you start at stop #1 and go through all 15 stops (it takes about 90 minutes). Then you can decide what "area" of Savannah interests you and get off at that stop next time around. Here is a scan of the tour map. Sorry for the size, but I figured you would want to see the details:

HHFlyers_0006.jpg

We made our reservation at 2:15 at Paula Deen's place. She was there that day as was her sons! There was a blood drive going on that she was a sponsor for! Anyhow, the question everyone wants to know. . . .How was the food? In a word A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor, and do the buffet. This has the "best of" Paula including Fried Chicken, fried catfish, baked chicken, red rice, REAL cream corn, baked zucchini, macaroni and cheese, grits, green beans, and hoe cakes (stop giggling guys. . .). Are you drooling yet??? You should be! Price was $13.95 and a GREAT bargain for the quality of the food! Tip for you: Get the HOMEMADE Lemonade. Be prepared for your knees to buckle! And it's the kind of lemonade that gets better as the ice melts. . . Truly amazing! And don't even get me started on the OOEY GOOEY CAKE! I'm going into butter shock just thinking about it!

Even DS2 had to dip his binky in this liquid gold!
IMG_1452.jpg

Thank you mommy for this!
IMG_1454.jpg

After lunch, we headed back out into to the town and did some more sightseeing and walking. We left at 5:00 to head back to our hotel in Florence, SC. Thus, the end of the trip. . .

*****Final thoughts*******

I could go on and on about how much we hated checking out of HHI. Those who are worried or on the fence about going to something non-WDW. . . All I can say is reread this trip report. I'm hoping that my love of HHI comes through my words and pictures.

I went to HHI worried about my ability to "slow down". . . HHI reminded me WHY I need to slow down and relax on a vacation. It's so easy to get hooked on the "frantic" of WDW. Let's face it, WDW is a BLAST (we're heading to SSR tomorrow for a week vacation). But every now and then you need to be reminded that sometimes the best vacations are the ones where you truly just "let go" and breathe. More importantly, I think it's places like HHI that help us teach our children that it's okay to truly. . . . relax!

Thank goodness I have an amazing wife who really pushed for this vacation. It's why I love her. This was her idea and I am so glad that her inner-radar was right (as always). :worship:

Thank goodness for places like HHI! HHI keeps the "Disney Magic" while subtly reminding you to "relax" and to let the stresses of life go away. The ocean, of course, helps to relax you. But so does the easy going manner of B'Lou and his stories; the smiles and calmness of the cast members; the sights of Spanish Moss hanging off an old oak while you are involved in a great book; the smell of salt water and the marsh; and the way the sun sets over that marsh as two dolphins play in the shimmer of the water.

I still love my WDW, but I will always have a special place in my heart for our first trip to Hilton Head, Y'all!

What a wonderful trip report!You should send it to Disney to publish.We'll be at HH from July 30th-Aug. 6th.We've been many times but each trip is special.Can't wait to try One Hot Mama's.

Great job! I enjoyed reading your trip report very much. We have only been to HH once and it was for three nights (on the way home). We definitely need more time and a day trip to Savannah.

Thank you for taking us along.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I really enjoyed reading it :thumbsup2. Am trying to plan what we will do next summer vacation and am currently torn between HHI or a Yosemite trip (and driving down to DL, of course!). After your report I am leaning towards HHI, but DH and kids still want CA. I think I will make your trip report required reading before a decision is made!

Thanks again :goodvibes

Great trip report. You have captured the serenity of Hilton Head perfectly. As crowded as HHI can be in the summer, it is amazing and surprising that DVC HHI can be sooo relaxing.

Been to HHI 4 times now, twice to Harbor town/lighthouse area and have never tried the lighthouse becuase it looked too dinky. We'll definitely go up next time.

We'll also try your BBQ recommendation as well. Thank You
We've been to Savannah twice and Paula Deans not at all, also now on the list. Bus tour sounded like fun as well, so we'll try that. I will recommend the nghttime horse drawn carriage ghost tour. Pricey but my son's loved it.

Well done with trip report. Hoping for more of the same from SSR
Thanks, Vince

Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm glad you all enjoyed the trip report.

My DW has suggested I do another one for our trip to SSR that starts tomorrow. . . . I'll try to do a better job of taking pictures from the beginning!

Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm glad you all enjoyed the trip report.

My DW has suggested I do another one for our trip to SSR that starts tomorrow. . . . I'll try to do a better job of taking pictures from the beginning!

OOooooo, I agree with your DW! Sign me up. popcorn::

Thank you so much for the report! I agree HH is wonderful, we were there for the first time in May. There were no crowds as it was the week before Memorial Day, we plan on going the same time next year. I loved B'Lou also what a wonderful addition to the Disney family. I found it to be so relaxing just what we needed after a long cold winter! We went to Savannah and were disapointed, but we loved loved Charleston! (different strokes for different folks I suppose)
Thanks again for the report! :goodvibes
Dana

I'm a fellow STEELERS fan.....we are wanting to go to HHI next June. Look forward to the reports. We hit Daytona Beach almost every summer so we are "beach people". We love seafood also, so let us know of good dinning in the area. GO STEELERS!:banana:

I wrote my last post before I saw the next 7 pages.....Great job! I cant wait to go! Go STEELERS!:)

I went to HHI worried about my ability to "slow down". . . HHI reminded me WHY I need to slow down and relax on a vacation. It's so easy to get hooked on the "frantic" of WDW. Let's face it, WDW is a BLAST (we're heading to SSR tomorrow for a week vacation). But every now and then you need to be reminded that sometimes the best vacations are the ones where you truly just "let go" and breathe. More importantly, I think it's places like HHI that help us teach our children that it's okay to truly. . . . relax!

Thank goodness I have an amazing wife who really pushed for this vacation. It's why I love her. This was her idea and I am so glad that her inner-radar was right (as always). :worship:

Thank goodness for places like HHI! HHI keeps the "Disney Magic" while subtly reminding you to "relax" and to let the stresses of life go away. The ocean, of course, helps to relax you. But so does the easy going manner of B'Lou and his stories; the smiles and calmness of the cast members; the sights of Spanish Moss hanging off an old oak while you are involved in a great book; the smell of salt water and the marsh; and the way the sun sets over that marsh as two dolphins play in the shimmer of the water.

I still love my WDW, but I will always have a special place in my heart for our first trip to Hilton Head, Y'all!

Ditto, ditto, ditto!! DW is the one in our house that could sit on a beach or a balcony all day long and never move a muscle. Me...I have to have a plan of attack, a goal to achieve, places to go, people to see, things to do!! I'm hoping during our October trip to HHI that I can relax and enjoy the trip as much as y'all did. Great TR. I'm looking forward to your next one to SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter