Out Of State APs Continue To Take A Beating

OP clarified it was for his family. Not just one ticket.
Even still, that's really high. I am flying my whole family of 7 to California from Florida next month for $465 round trip for all 7 tickets non-stop! It is possible to do it MUCH cheaper, you just can't be picky about airlines/flights!

I'm in California. I've gotten an AP three times. During the use year I go three times - and one year five - for 7 to 10 days.
I spend about $6,000 each year in room rates. And about $1,500 for food over the three trips.

In total Disney gets about $9,400 per year from me.

After this AP expires - Sept 19, 2022 - I won't get another one. So I'll go back to the once a year I previously did. And will stay off site. And will split my visit between Universal (2 days) and Disney (5 days).

So a total of about $950 per year.

Disney is really making a vacation unattractive for out-of-State visitors.

I understand you are angry about things, but please don't lump the CM's into everything. They have been treated very poorly by the company and by guests, so it is no wonder they are unhappy. I think people who go to Disney forget the CM's are people and have to work there just to survive. They are people who have trouble affording to live here and can barely make ends meet. They are dealing everyday with "privileged" individuals who can afford a vacation that is a luxury not a necessity. I completely agree with your other issues, but please leave CM's and their attitudes out of the argument.
I will lump them in as they are a very big part of the whole experience. From 1971 - around 2017, CMs had to deal the with same type of guests and still did it with a smile. This new wave of teens/college interns are just not the same. We all have struggles/bad days at work. We cant be rude to coworkers/clients/guests.

2 weeks ago, when going from GF to the Contemporary, the monorail stopped at mk and everyone was asked to get off. We didnt know why, just did it. Security then was looking into every "cabin" (or whetever you call it) After 10 or so minutes, standing next to a CM, I casually asked "Any idea whats going on?" Super casual like I was talking to a friend. She replied "NO" and walked away from me. Whatever...... I then saw another woman approach her and ask if she knew how long it was going to take. The CM replied "If you dont want to wait, you can walk to the Contemporary and get on another monorail". And she walked away from her too. If it were me, I would say "Im sorry I dont, but if I receive information Ill let you know..." or something like that.

I was also dining in DS and mentioned to the waitress that is was one of our guests birthday. She did bring him an ice cream with a candle in it (which I ordered and paid for ahead of time......wasnt looking for freebies), but as she was dashing to another table to take an order (restaurant not busy at all..or capacity was low I should say), she dropped the ice cream in front of him and while still walking mumbled "Happy Birthday". Years ago, the whole restaurant would have been singing. Maybe a mask thing, but 1/2 the staff wasnt wearing one so....??

Years ago too, I would leave my room and say good morning to any staff looking at me. Just being polite. I barely god a smile back, nevermind a "good morning!"

Want to talk about people trying to survive... go on a cruise. Mostly from the Philippines, the nicest friendliest people you could ever meet. Definitley not privileged college kids. Outwardly smiling and happy all the time. Im sure inside they are miserable being away from family/spouses/children, living in subpar conditions and I cant imagine their wage is very good either...but they dont show it. They make sure every guest enjoys their vacation.

Edited to add.....

Not that I like to assume things about people, but "assuming" some CMs Ive encountered are from the LGBTQ community, I will say they are AMAZING with hospitality. Always happy, smiling, singing, dancing, friendly, informative, etc..etc...... wish they could teach some things to the college program kids!

Last edited:
Even still, that's really high. I am flying my whole family of 7 to California from Florida next month for $465 round trip for all 7 tickets non-stop! It is possible to do it MUCH cheaper, you just can't be picky about airlines/flights!
WOW! You've got to fill us in on your method. $66 for a round trip ticket Florida>California>Florida is amazing!

What city? What airline?

That's always my problem when someone suggests Universal as an alternative. I don't like it. I tried it and I tried my best to like it, but I don't. I may or may not return to WDW, but Universal isn't the alternative for me, no matter what the price is.

I like Universal (especially at Halloween) - but it's absolutely nothing like, and not a replacement for Disney.

WOW! You've got to fill us in on your method. $66 for a round trip ticket Florida>California>Florida is amazing!

What city? What airline?

Orlando to Los Angeles or Ontario, depending on the day. We live and work at WDW, but fly to Disneyland a lot because it is superior! LOL. I go a few times a year like this. Have to be a bit flexible sometimes, but I usually get what I want!! Typically have to fly on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday.

Frontier. Can usually get Delta for a bit more.

Frontier runs many 80% off type sales, or BOGO. I got BOGO for that one, so 3 were free and the others were $43 each way. Added a few bags and we're off!

Delta was $59 each way, still not terrible for non-stop.

This is true about everything you do!
I use skyscanner , priceline and skiplagged for all my airfare.
Dont be afraid of frontier or spirit.
I bought one bag for the family

This is true about everything you do!
I use skyscanner , priceline and skiplagged for all my airfare.

Yep! OP said Boston I think! I find Boston to Orlando non stop all the time for typically $40-80 round trip! Not sure how some people pay all these crazy prices. I just flew my daughter and her boyfriend there for a quick 3 day trip for $34 each round trip!

I understand you are angry about things, but please don't lump the CM's into everything. They have been treated very poorly by the company and by guests, so it is no wonder they are unhappy. I think people who go to Disney forget the CM's are people and have to work there just to survive. They are people who have trouble affording to live here and can barely make ends meet. They are dealing everyday with "privileged" individuals who can afford a vacation that is a luxury not a necessity. I completely agree with your other issues, but please leave CM's and their attitudes out of the argument.

It's been a rough year/years for lots of people. Disney used to set the standard for service, and Cast Members were part of that "magic". Prior to 2019, I could have listed 20 or more "magical" CM experiences every time we went - which justified the sacrifices we made to visit.

For the last 3 years, that service and "magic" has plummeted. After a very difficult stretch for our family, we wanted to escape to our Happy Place for a little of that magic, and found rude CM's and sub-par service the majority of the time. There were still occasional flickers of Pixie Dust, but they were the exception, not the rule. Service/Employee behavior has been far better at our local amusement part - and those folks have had a "rough year/s" too.

I don't use tough times (and we've had plenty) as an excuse at MY job to treat people badly - every one of us still has a CHOICE in how we behave. Sorry - surly, rude, and incompetent Cast Members should NOT be a thing.

Frontier. Can usually get Delta for a bit more.

Frontier runs many 80% off type sales, or BOGO. I got BOGO for that one, so 3 were free and the others were $43 each way. Added a few bags and we're off!

Delta was $59 each way, still not terrible for non-stop.
I flew Frontier three time (LAX>MCO) and had no major problems with them - a couple of delays over 45 minutes - but they no longer offer a non-stop from LAX.

I suppose the city matters. Have never found Delta or Frontier that low from LAX. Are you flying into MCO?

I flew Frontier three time (LAX>MCO) and had no major problems with them - a couple of delays over 45 minutes - but they no longer offer a non-stop from LAX.

I suppose the city matters. Have never found Delta or Frontier that low from LAX. Are you flying into MCO?

Yes, into MCO. Their non stop is to Ontario now, which for Disneyland or the area, is about the same distance as LAX to most major Southern California locations and the same cost for UBER to Anaheim, not to mention a smaller more easily managed airport.

They moved all their non stops to Ontario aiport from MCO!

Delta right now has many dates end of September (when I'm going) for $59 from MCO to LAX non stop! We leave the 29th!

Yes, for the past several years for me. If they take a ride way, or cancel some entertainment, or increase the prices a bit, to me it OK. Its DIsney...but the CMs are not happy.. down right rude at times...and the remodeled rooms that dont shout "youre at Disney" just take away from the whole feel of it. I used to get smiles everywhere and music when I entered the MK and monorails, which barely run these days, to whisk me off to my happy place and the "good morning Princess to the kids.... its all gone :( Its really just a theme park now with ridiculously expensive, not special, hotel rooms. I can stay at the Gaylord Palms and bring a $5 poster of Moana to stick on the wall for a better experience at 1/4 the price!!!
CMs have been far and away significantly more magical and kind in my experience during three separate trips over the past year than I can ever remember.

The only thing I was confused on was only being able to hold 5 days of park reservations at a time. So if a family (out of town or Florida resident) is staying at a Disney property, they can only book up to 5 park day reservations at a time? What if it's a 7 to 10 day trip? They're just hoping for openings when they are there then?

If you're staying on property, those days are in addition to the # of reservations you get with the AP.

That's always my problem when someone suggests Universal as an alternative. I don't like it. I tried it and I tried my best to like it, but I don't. I may or may not return to WDW, but Universal isn't the alternative for me, no matter what the price is. I'm not convinced WDW won't eventually bring back all the things we love. While I don't like price increases, my biggest complaint with them isn't the pricing. It's the level of service and the major cuts that there is no reason not to bring back at this point. So, we wait. In the meantime, DLR seems to be at least trying a little harder. Their Halloween party looks amazing compared to the paltry after hours event Disney is offering. We have a trip scheduled in October and I'm hoping we'll like it enough that it can be our fix for a while. It's not WDW, but it's a heckuva lot closer than Universal is.

I know. I'm out of state and I also know that I would never travel all the way to Orlando to visit a park, and I'm overstating here, lukewarm about, and is also not cheap. It just will NEVER happen. I'd rather do WDW but I may just cut my trips down or just not go every year. I'm also planning on DLR in October 2022 myself. I'm excited to see what that experience will be like since I haven't been there since the mid-80s.

Last edited:
I have been an OOS APer for 10 yrs or so. I know the price is going up every year. This is no surprise. Florida Residents get a discount, as every state's resident gets from their Amusement Parks. As they should. I don't compare my expense to FL residents. I could move there, but don't like the humidity.
I usually go about 30 days a year, 2-3 trips. This next one is 21 days, on property. I know the trip is expensive. But to me it is worth it.
If I need to save money, I'll make my trips shorter.

Maybe OP has hit the saturation point. Where the value does not out weigh the price.

As for the FL resident pass 399 for m-f and blackout dates seems a bit much to me and 699 if you want weekends with a lot of blackout dates.
For 399 you can get a Universal pass with no blackouts dates for the two parks.

Most of the locals I know were already unhappy with Disney and the FP+ system that drove them to Universal.
They will get tickets to Disney when there is some special 4 visit ticket for the summer for locals

Unlike Disneyland, Disney World is far less interested in locals they don't make the same $$s per person they do on the out of state visors and there is no question that is the most important thing to Disney - they have basically said to shareholders they want less attendance and more $ per person.

Bingo.

I know everyone's dropping Universal's name and the two are very different experiences, but there's something to be said about the system in place (i.e. giving perks worth the cost, and their Express pass is for every single ride, not this BS that withholds high-demand rides at a price point.

The more I think about it, the more I also hate how stressful a WDW trip has become (having to plan your day at the last minute, at no guarantee of a ride(s) you want). It shouldn't be so complicated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter