Out Of State APs Continue To Take A Beating

That's always my problem when someone suggests Universal as an alternative. I don't like it. I tried it and I tried my best to like it, but I don't. I may or may not return to WDW, but Universal isn't the alternative for me, no matter what the price is. I'm not convinced WDW won't eventually bring back all the things we love. While I don't like price increases, my biggest complaint with them isn't the pricing. It's the level of service and the major cuts that there is no reason not to bring back at this point. So, we wait. In the meantime, DLR seems to be at least trying a little harder. Their Halloween party looks amazing compared to the paltry after hours event Disney is offering. We have a trip scheduled in October and I'm hoping we'll like it enough that it can be our fix for a while. It's not WDW, but it's a heckuva lot closer than Universal is.

We went to DLR last month and even that did not give me my Disney fix. Not sure if it is because we stayed "offsite" (it was right across the street from the entrance) or what, but it was not the same for me. Kids loved it and it was fun, but it felt more like a day at the local theme park to me. Too bad, because DL APs are so much cheaper than WDW if you get the lowest tier.

We went to DLR last month and even that did not give me my Disney fix. Not sure if it is because we stayed "offsite" (it was right across the street from the entrance) or what, but it was not the same for me. Kids loved it and it was fun, but it felt more like a day at the local theme park to me. Too bad, because DL APs are so much cheaper than WDW if you get the lowest tier.

We are struggling with this issue too - I'm sure there are other alternatives (Discovery Cove + Seaworld; Universal; our local Cedar Point) that are similar, but it's still not the Disney we knew and loved.

But, as another poster just pointed out - Disney isn't "our" Disney anymore; it's no longer the "Disney we knew and loved". And each time they take something away we loved, and then charge us more for the privilege, it feels a little less magical and a little more like we're getting screwed.

So maybe at least for now, it's better for us to start with something new, and not compare it to the "old Disney" that doesn't exist anymore.

Really? Interesting! I wasn't overwhelmed by DLR when I visited but that was a long time ago and of course, it was after I'd already done WDW many times. I am willing to give it another try though I guess. Our October 2022 trip is really about that cross-country train trip that I have wanted to do for years and DLR is just a byproduct of that so I'll temper my expectations but yeah, I'm still going to pine for Epcot which makes me think back to the days when WestCOT was a possibility. :guilty:

As a current CM, I appreciate this. At my restaurant at least, I feel like we are all usually pretty great, or we try to be!
Dont get me wrong, there are definitely exceptions, but sadly its just that. Exceptions...no longer the rule. My waitress at B&C was great. Waitress at the Edison...not so much. Waiter at Chefs de France was eh... unfriendly, but not rude. Wait team at Chef Mickeys was great. Mousekeeping at Contemporary looked miserable, all of them! CMs at Contempo..wow.. rude. The CM on the MK platform totally rude. etc..etc...

I'm not so sure I would expect a member of Mousekeeping to greet me with a big smile every time I passed one of them in the hall. Some say hello and others don't but I don't judge them because they always look to be very busy. I've had very few instances of rude CMs and I've been going to WDW pretty regularly since 1972. It's usually other guests' attitudes I have the most issues with.

As a current CM, I appreciate this. At my restaurant at least, I feel like we are all usually pretty great, or we try to be!
Have been to WDW 3 dozen times or so, and have never, ever come across a rude CM. Haven't been for a couple of years, but headed back right after Thanksgiving. Hopefully our experience is just as magical as the rest of our trips have been.

I'm not so sure I would expect a member of Mousekeeping to greet me with a big smile every time I passed one of them in the hall. Some say hello and others don't but I don't judge them because they always look to be very busy. I've had very few instances of rude CMs and I've been going to WDW pretty regularly since 1972. It's usually other guests' attitudes I have the most issues with.
I dont expect a big smile. Normalyl I wouldnt expect anything, but that is what I became used to at Disney. When Im walking down a hallway, I always got a "Good Morning!" and I would give a "Good Morning!" back. Now Im the one to say it first (and only when we make eye contact...I dont just yell out Good Morning to people working, looking down at a clipboard, on a mission somewhere.) and dont even get a smile back. If you are walking past someone looking directly at them, and its just you two in the hall, at least smile!

Im the most easy going tourist in the world. I dont complain about a thing (while Im there), I dont make any requests, Ill wait forever in a line..even let people in front of me if they seem to be more in a rush than I am. I dont make special requests at restaurants. If I dont like something, Ill scrape it off or just wont eat it. Im a big tipper and in general a happy person. I'll quietly observe rude people and think to myself "How rude!".

IMO...the CMs of today make Disney less magical and for that reason its not THE BEST place ever to go on vacation anymore. I will definitely still go, but just wont be coming home ranting and raving about how AMAZING Disney is and trying to convince all my friends that they must go! Did I have a good time "Yes, it was fun". The end.

I much prefer WDW, or at least the WDW that was, but it isn't that anymore. There's something special about being in the park that Walt started with and while it's different, there are things about it I like much better. We've stayed off site and at the GC too and there is definitely a difference, even though being off site there is nothing like being off site at WDW.

It's not a replacement for WDW, never has been for me, but I enjoy it which is more than I can say for Universal. And I am super excited about their Oogie Boogie Bash and finally getting to see the HM overlay as well as all the new things they've added since we were last there several years ago.

I much prefer WDW, or at least the WDW that was, but it isn't that anymore. There's something special about being in the park that Walt started with and while it's different, there are things about it I like much better. We've stayed off site and at the GC too and there is definitely a difference, even though being off site there is nothing like being off site at WDW.

It's not a replacement for WDW, never has been for me, but I enjoy it which is more than I can say for Universal. And I am super excited about their Oogie Boogie Bash and finally getting to see the HM overlay as well as all the new things they've added since we were last there several years ago.

Yes! I'm really excited about seeing that NBC overlay!

Last edited:
I don't use tough times (and we've had plenty) as an excuse at MY job to treat people badly - every one of us still has a CHOICE in how we behave. Sorry - surly, rude, and incompetent Cast Members should NOT be a thing.

Exactly. I realize their job is hard- so are many jobs that involve dealing with the public. If you can't do it, then don't. We've had a few less than stellar experiences with CM's and that was pre-covid so no excuse there. But, there has never been a time we were treated rudely that I didn't complain about it. Just griping here does nothing.

That said, our trip in July was surprisingly good from a CM standpoint- they weren't as super friendly as in the past, but nothing to complain really. There was just a feeling that they were super stressed and just plain tired- but doing their best.

The only thing I was confused on was only being able to hold 5 days of park reservations at a time. So if a family (out of town or Florida resident) is staying at a Disney property, they can only book up to 5 park day reservations at a time? What if it's a 7 to 10 day trip? They're just hoping for openings when they are there then?
Yeah, so I have complained about this before on some other posts.

We are out of state AP holders. We live in Charlotte, which is about an 8 hour drive. We do have DVC, so that is a plus. We have a Gold pass.

Once a year, we spend a week at DVC. No issues there. Make all the park reservations we want.

The rest of the time, we make some long weekend trips. Think head down Friday after work/school. Spend the weekend, hit a park for a couple of hours and drive back home on Monday. We stay off-site (I am a Hilton Diamond member).

Problem number 1 - We can only plan one of those trips at a time.

Problem number 2 - A year ago, we went for four days. After the first day, could not get a single park reservation for day 4 (against all four parks, no availability). After the second day, same thing. Spoke to the hotel, cut the trip short. So, no guarantee that you will be able to make another reservation...

Problem number 3 - Loss of spontaneity. A couple of years ago, after completing a major project at work, my boss turned to me and said I needed to take a few days off. Had worked a lot of weekends. He said take Friday and Monday off. On Tuesday, we planned a 4 day trip. Drive down Thursday night, drive back Monday. Cannot do that anymore.

Problem number 4 - We are the Disney experts amongst our family and friends. Originally from New York, we often get the call that so and so is planning a vacation for such and such, and can we meet up with them. Here is my exact issue. I have a long weekend planned for a school break in October. My sister (in NY) called me yesterday. They heard about the low crowds, and want to go to Disney for a few days in September.

Do I cancel my October days? It is going to be crazy. But I cannot make any reservations to meet up with my sister and her family. Would really like to see all of them. But if i cancel my days in October, i may not be able to make reservations again after the September trip.

We like amusement parks. I have season/annual passes to Carowinds (Cedar Fair), Six Flags and KSC. No place else requires reservations.

I know, these are all first world problems.

I have a limited budget (despite what my wife thinks) for entertainment. Our AP has been a good value for us. However, with the recent increase, the decreased usability, and the extras you have to now pay for something was was included, well, as always I will reevaluate come July. But Disney does not need us, they have plenty of people spending money there. Just look at the current wait times (5 minutes space mountain, 10 minutes for splash, 30 minutes for the dwarfs. Yeah, they are just pulling in money hand over fist.

I agree with you on the local pricing for all the reasons you mention.

I disagree about the AP pricing for DVC members being a rather normal increase though; I understand you meant in general it's a relatively normal AP price increase. The top tier pass now has no DVC discount, an increase of 55% from the old platinumm pass to the Inredi-pass ($957.44 to $1299+99 for photos+ tax $1488.87). The gold to sorcerer pass is a 31% increase ($765.73 to $899+99plus tax $1004.44). When one starts to think of G+ on top of it, it's a large increase for DVC.
we are a captured audience.

Have been to WDW 3 dozen times or so, and have never, ever come across a rude CM. Haven't been for a couple of years, but headed back right after Thanksgiving. Hopefully our experience is just as magical as the rest of our trips have been.

I agree! Have been to WDW many more times than that (since 1972) and my complaints were never/will never be with the overworked CM's. My interactions with them have been nothing but nice. It's with the changes by Disney the last few years, and especially the last year - has nothing to do with Covid (completely understanding that).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter