Over the River and Through the Woods to Mickey's House We Go! And Grandma is in Tow!

mickeystoontown

DIS Veteran

Let me start by introducing our wild and wacky family. We live in West Monroe, Louisiana which is over 800 miles away from the most Magical Place on Earth. That doesn't stop us from making the yearly trek though.

There's me, Lisa. I'm 44 years old and have been working in the legal field for over 26 years now. Yes, I started out as just a babe out of high school. I've been a paralegal for too many years to count. Don't believe everything you see on television....the legal business is not as glamorous as they make it seem. I often say I want to be something else when I grow up but I've got too many years invested to start over now. I suffer from Bell's Palsy which is not debilitating but it's irritating to say the least. So, in some of my pictures, you'll see that one side of my face doesn't quite "smile" like the other side and one of my eyes squenches a little tighter than the other.

I love to plan Disney trips, talk about Disney, type about Disney, read about Disney. Well, you get the drift. I love Disney! I am referred to as the unofficial Disney trip planner and have helped friends and family book at least a dozen or so trips to Walt Disney World.

I like hosting get-togethers and my house seems to be the "happening" place for birthday parties, anniversaries, etc. I used to do childrens' birthday parties. I'd put together all of the activities and then go to people's houses and do everything for them. I did that on weekends for several years until I had Hunter and had to stop. Let's see what other talents do I have? Hum.....I type real fast!

There's my husband and soulmate, John. He's also 44 years old and owns a cabinet and custom furniture shop. The shop is located right behind our log house which is super convenient for him. We have found that even though new house construction has slowed down a lot, many people are remodeling their existing homes so John's been kept pretty busy even with the economy the way it is. John suffers from epilepsy and takes a lot of meds but hasn't had a real seizure in years. Thanks to the Lord above!

John is a preacher's kid. Yes, that means he was a little rebellious when I met him at the ripe old age of 18. But, I convinced him that all that rebellious stuff was just a bunch of horse malarky and after just two dates he asked me to marry him. We started dating the end of December, 1983 and were married in August, 1984. We would have married sooner but my mother made my wedding dress and had to have that much time to get it done.

Next up are our gorgeous, fabulous, smart, multi-talented children. Yes, I am a bragging Mama and won't apologize for it no matter how much you try to make me.

Lacey is our 22 year old daughter. Her first trip to Disney was at the ripe old age of 11. She attends a missionary college in Cleveland, Georgia called Mission Georgia Master's Commission. It's a discipleship program. She has attended for three years now and works her skinny little behind off. Not only does she take college classes but she also works in an Atlanta shelter/soup kitchen, volunteers her time with a baseball team for the mentally/physically handicapped, leads children's church and a whole lot more.

Her talents include playing the guitar, singing, dancing, wrangling children's church kids and can lick her elbow! Yes, lick her elbow....they say it's impossible but, believe me, I've seen her do it. I even have a picture somewhere.

Because of all the work Lacey does, we usually only see her two or three times a year which is hard for us. Right now, we are pretty sure that Lacey won't be able to come along on the trip with us. She has a break from school in May but will have to go back several days before our trip would end. We can't go any earlier in May because Hunter will still be in school. She is using her powers of persuasion on the Mission leaders and will continue to do so until she gets a definitive yes or no.

Then, there's our 12 year old son, Hunter. He likes to remind us that he is a pre-teen, soon to be teenager and will be driving in 3 years. Hunter's first trip to Disney was when he was just 1. He actually celebrated his first birthday with Mickey Mouse and took his first five consecutive steps on Main Street USA. He is my fellow Disney fantatic. He loves to help plan where to stay, what to eat, what parks to go to first, etc.

Hunter is a budding artist, sings in the honor choir, plays guitar and viola, is getting pretty darn good at magic tricks/illusions and plays several positions on his Tackle II football team. He loves his game systems....Playstation 2, PSP and the newest, a Nintendo DSi. He is a jokester just like his Daddy.

Oh, you're probably wanting pictures aren't you. Sorry.

This is Lacey and I. I am on the left.

100_2183.jpg

John and Hunter. I bet you can guess which is John and which is Hunter. I have problems making John smile in pictures so Hunter was helping him out.

100_2181.jpg

We found out last week that my 75 year old mother (well, she'll be 75 on January 28th) is going to Walt Disney World with us! We beg her every year but she hasn't given in since 2000. This year, she did and we are so very excited. We all went to Disney over Thanksgiving, 2000 but that was back when we didn't know better and stayed offsite. So, this will be her first onsite stay.

Mama's talent is doting on her grandkids. She loves them all equally but my two live next door to her so she dotes on them a little bit more than the others. She likes to play dominos with a group of people from church and they do that about once a month. She is also active in her small group with the church.

Mama recently underwent artery bypass surgery and suffered a bit of nerve damages from the operation. She is finally getting over it. Our Branson trip was a "I'm glad to be alive" celebration.

Here's a picture of my Mama and my kids on a recent trip we took to Branson, Missouri. (We take my Mama with us just about everywhere we go. My kids think she is the "coolest Mamaw ever".)

SANY1346.jpg

I've written two trip reports (one is still in progress) and you can tell from the titles that they were pretty darn, let's just say "eventful". One was entitled "You're the Best Parents in the World! I Gotta Pee! Where's My Tooth?" and the other that is still in progress is entitled "Stop Making Me Laugh Or I'll Pee My Pants! Go Back! I Lost My Shoe!". Yep, we're a silly family!

Now that I've done the introductions, I'll tell you a little bit about our trip. We are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort May 27, 2010 to June 5, 2010. Mama insisted that she book a room instead of bunking with us. She says that Hunter can sleep with her and John won't be "uncomfortable" with her staying in the room with us. No, it's not what you are thinking...she's not giving us some "alone" time. John snores like a freight train and she probably didn't want to listen to it all night.

I think I'll stop here for now. I hope that I have readers who are willing to stick around and hear about our plans!

Up Next: Our travel plans!

:flower3:Hi, I am Laura and I am also from Louisiana. My dd is a senior in high school this year and she will be moving to Monroe this summer to go to school. She is going to ULM to be a pharmacist. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

:mickeyjum pixiedust: signing in to join in the planning fun!!! pixiedust: :mickeyjum

Oh! boy :yay: and I'm the first one here!!!:yay:

Great start and intro's...

Hey Connie! I'm glad that you can over. You know for a fact that I'll have lots of details.

:flower3:Hi, I am Laura and I am also from Louisiana. My dd is a senior in high school this year and she will be moving to Monroe this summer to go to school. She is going to ULM to be a pharmacist. I can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Hey Laura! You're daughter will be right near me. We live in West Monroe. My cousin's daughter just completed pharmacy school at ULM. Tell her if she gets really bored, she can look me up and I'll cook her a good homecooked meal.

WOOHOO! I made it on page one! I'm looking forward to more of your awesome writing!

Hey Connie! I'm glad that you can over. You know for a fact that I'll have lots of details.

Hey Laura! You're daughter will be right near me. We live in West Monroe. My cousin's daughter just completed pharmacy school at ULM. Tell her if she gets really bored, she can look me up and I'll cook her a good homecooked meal.

Your too sweet. She will start this fall. We will be apartment hunting soon. She is gonna try to transfer her job in the Super 1 Foods pharmacy in New Iberia to the one in Monroe. She has been working there for over a year now. She is excited about college. She is a good kid. Sassy sometimes but good. Maybe we can look you up and have a Louisiana DISmeet when we go up there to apartment hunt.

I have been a lurker on all your reports but I am speaking out now. I love to hear your families adventures. You crack me up. I told my DH all about the ghost in your office, losing your teeth, and being the best parents. We are going the week before you!!

I'm here! This group is too much fun to miss out on!!!

Can't wait to hear about your plans. Too bad we'll be at CBR a week after you leave!

By the way, how in the world can you keep up a PTR and a TR at the same time??? :faint: I can barely do one...and it's a joint report...and it's barely limping along! You obviously are much better at time management than I am! :rotfl:

I'm here! Can't wait to hear all about your trip, It's so great that your mom is going!

Hi Lisa!! Joining in again!!!:goodvibes Can't wait to hear about all your planning for this trip!! I'm so happy that your mom decided to come along this time!! You must be very excited! I know bringing my parent's back in August was wonderful and I can't wait until they can join us again!!:thumbsup2

Looking forward to more.....

I'm here! Yippee! This trip is going to be so much fun with your mom along for the ride. I hope Lacey gets the powers that be to let her go. I will keep my fingers crossed...

Hello! Glad you started up your PTR too! We can wait these next 8 months out together. That's nice that your Mom is coming. My Mom almost came with us in May but changed her mind. I may see if she and my brother will come along this year. We'll see, it's too far out for them to even think about it. Imagine, and here I am with this trip that's been in the back of my mind ( or the front of my mind) since last summer!!!

WOOHOO! I made it on page one! I'm looking forward to more of your awesome writing!

Hey April! I know that you are ready to go to Disney World in just a day or two. Lucky you!

Your too sweet. She will start this fall. We will be apartment hunting soon. She is gonna try to transfer her job in the Super 1 Foods pharmacy in New Iberia to the one in Monroe. She has been working there for over a year now. She is excited about college. She is a good kid. Sassy sometimes but good. Maybe we can look you up and have a Louisiana DISmeet when we go up there to apartment hunt.

When I got home last night, I told John that I had met a new Louisiana Dis friend. I also told him about your daughter moving to Monroe. He said "did you offer to cook for her?" He knows me so well!

Yay you've started! I'm in! :thumbsup2

Welcome! Now I've got my work cut out for me.....a trip report, a countdown AND a pre-trip report.

I have been a lurker on all your reports but I am speaking out now. I love to hear your families adventures. You crack me up. I told my DH all about the ghost in your office, losing your teeth, and being the best parents. We are going the week before you!!

I am glad that I can provide a laugh or two. What can I say? We don't even try to be funny but our life just is.

I'm here! This group is too much fun to miss out on!!!

Can't wait to hear about your plans. Too bad we'll be at CBR a week after you leave!

By the way, how in the world can you keep up a PTR and a TR at the same time??? :faint: I can barely do one...and it's a joint report...and it's barely limping along! You obviously are much better at time management than I am! :rotfl:

Hey threre! Glad you came over. I wish we were at the CBR the same time 'cause I'd love to meet you. Oh well, there's always 2011.

I have no idea how I am going to keep up the trip report, the 2010 CBR countdown thread AND a trip report. But, I guess I'll muddle on through it.

Just found your thread and am in...

Thanks for joining our family as we get ready to hit the road to Disney again!

I'm here! Can't wait to hear all about your trip, It's so great that your mom is going!

Welcome! I am stoked that Mama is going with us. She's starting to get excited already. I'll make her a Disney fanatic before she can blink an eye.

I love reading your trip reports....coming out of 'lurkdom' to say, "keep it comin"!:cheer2:

I'm glad that you decided to come out of the shadows and say hi!

Joining in!!!

Howdy! I am about to write up a few of our plans as soon as I get through replying to everybody!

Hi Lisa!! Joining in again!!!:goodvibes Can't wait to hear about all your planning for this trip!! I'm so happy that your mom decided to come along this time!! You must be very excited! I know bringing my parent's back in August was wonderful and I can't wait until they can join us again!!:thumbsup2

Looking forward to more.....

Hey Angie! We are so excited that Mama finally agreed to go back to Disney World with us this year. She has no idea how much more convenient it will be to stay onsite.

Any idea when you guys might be heading back to "the World"?

I'm here! Yippee! This trip is going to be so much fun with your mom along for the ride. I hope Lacey gets the powers that be to let her go. I will keep my fingers crossed...

You're here! Mama is already getting excited but I think she's scared to get too excited. She was all pumped up about going on her Alaskan cruise when she found out she had to get surgery. She had to pass on the cruise. But, we told her that we'll take things slow and that she just "has" to go with us. I think Hunter batting his eyes at her helped too.

Lacey has already planted the seed with the Mission leaders. Another complication is finding somebody to do children's church for her now that she's the official Children's Church Leader.

Hello! Glad you started up your PTR too! We can wait these next 8 months out together. That's nice that your Mom is coming. My Mom almost came with us in May but changed her mind. I may see if she and my brother will come along this year. We'll see, it's too far out for them to even think about it. Imagine, and here I am with this trip that's been in the back of my mind ( or the front of my mind) since last summer!!!

Welcome! It's going to be so much fun seeing Disney through my Mama's eyes. It's been almost 10 years since she's been with us.

I hope that you can talk your mother and brother into going with you guys. To me, the more the merrier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter