Over the River and Through the Woods to Mickey's House We Go! And Grandma is in Tow!

Let's see, I've never done a pre-trip report (even though this will be our 15th trip to Walt Disney World). Hum? What should I post now? Oh I know......plans!

I work in a one attorney/one paralegal law office and have nobody to fall back on for a replacement. Meaning that my boss is going to make me find somebody to fill in for me. For our 2009 trip, I had a lady all lined up and she backed out. My backup to her found out that she had to stay with a friend who had surgery so she was out too. We ended up having my boss' sister come in and do my job. I say do my job but what I really mean is she came in, answered the phone and did, basically, receptionist duties. She didn't do any of my "real" work. That was waiting on me after I got back from vacation. :sad2: I have already started putting "feelers" out to find a replacement for this May. I'll call a temp. service if I have to 'cause I'm going on vacation come heck or high water.

Since I do work in a small office, I can't take my full two weeks of vacation at the same time. The next best thing I can do is take a Thursday and Friday off (which is really a half day since we close at Noon anyway) and then the following week.

Like I said before, John and I own a cabinet shop so he's able to take off whenever he wants. It's nice being your own boss sometimes.:thumbsup2

Hunter gets out of school on Wednesday, May 26, 2010. Mama's a retiree so she has no plans whatsoever but to pack her stuff and get in the car when we tell her it's time to go.:laughing:

Now that I've said all that, I'll post our Day One plan.

Day One, Wednesday, May 26, 2010:

I have to work this day and Hunter has to go to school. By Noon, I know that I'll be about to bust my britches to get out of the office and on the road. Maybe, just maybe, my boss will get tired of all my excitement and send me home early. OR, he'll be so stressed out that I'm leaving for a week that he'll have me busting my britches to get everything done.:rolleyes: Either way, at 5:00 p.m., I'm outta the office and on my way home!:yay:

I'm not a last minute packer. I am also not a two week before the vacation packer. I'll probably have all of our stuff packed and ready to go a day or so before we are scheduled to leave. That way, John and I can load everything into the car the night before. And we'll have a few things that can't be loaded in until right before we leave.

It'll probably look something like this:

100_2041.jpg

And then this:

100_2042.jpg

100_2043.jpg

As you can see, we had a lot of stuff packed into the trunk of our car for our 2009 trip. It'll probably be just as full for our 2010 trip since Mama is coming along. If Lacey gets to go, I have no idea where we'll put it all.:eek:

John will pick Hunter up after school and they, along with my Mama, will be waiting, ever so impatiently, on me to get home from work. Once I pull in, John willl start loading in the last minute stuff. Stuff like our "snack bag", Hunter's backpack full of games, the portable DVD player, etc. We'll make a final "Everybody go to the bathroom! Do you have everything?" call. Usually, we are hugging Mama goodbye but this time she'll be with us!

I hope to hit the road by no later than 5:45 p.m., hopefully, earlier. We have nearly 820 miles (818.96 to be exact) to drive before we reach the Caribbean Beach Resort.

This is where the over the river and through the woods part comes in. First river will be the Ouachita River which separates West Monroe from Monroe, Louisiana. (Who knew one little river could cause such football rivalry?) And, then the drive gets pretty boring. We'll see this:

100_2049.jpg

100_2050.jpg

And then comes the second river.....the Mississippi River which separates Louisiana from Mississippi.

100_2051.jpg

See, I told you we'd see a river:

100_2053.jpg

For those of you who have read my other trip reports, you'll remember that it's a tradition that we stop at McDonald's in Vicksburg, Mississippi. We'll go through the drive-thru and eat on the road so we can save some time.

Mama will need to stop and walk around a bit so we'll be making more stops along the way than we normally would. But, we hope to make it to either Pensacola or Crestview, Florida before it gets too late in the evening. I know we won't drive past 11:00 p.m.....Midnight at the latest.

***I think I'll stop here for now since I've covered Day One. You can see that I am a very detail oriented person and I like to ramble about all sorts of things. :rolleyes1

Hi lisa!! I am here and on page 2!! Hopefully I can keep up!!
Hey to the group!!!:)

Hey girl! I bet you can stay caught up with this pre-trip report 'cause I'm working on my 2009 trip report, have a 2010 CBR countdown thread going AND this pre-trip report. Whew!

Sounds like a good plan to me. I like the idea of going though the drive through to save time. :thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear all about your plans.

I'm here!
Since it looks liek we aren't going ANYWHERE!!!! this year, I'll be living through you!

Sounds like a good plan to me. I like the idea of going though the drive through to save time. :thumbsup2 I can't wait to hear all about your plans.

Savin' time and savin' money are always top on my list. :thumbsup2

I'm here!
Since it looks liek we aren't going ANYWHERE!!!! this year, I'll be living through you!

Hey Jen! Just keep working on that husband of your's. Use your powers of persuasion!

I've been persuading so much lately, I'm getting sore!!!... ;) :lmao: OK, that is just a JOKE! LOL! :rotfl2::rolleyes1

Ok..I came on this page and saw the day one pictures, I was soo confused!! But now I'm not!!LOL:rotfl2:

I'm all for doing the drive-through, especially as we're starting out. My kids call it a "picnic in the car." ;)

I also plan on packing a cooler so that we can stop at a rest stop for lunch the second day. We packed a soccer ball when we went to VA Beach two summers ago, and the kids ran around playing and were much easier to corral back into the car after a good hour of eating and running. Assuming we are still driving, that'll be the plan for this one, too. I can pull my stash of bubbles that I use to distract them while waiting in lines out for the little guy, too, but he'll probably want to chase his brother and sister...and get run down, but I guess that's what happens when you're the baby!!

Your plans look good! Can't wait for more!

Hi! I'm here. I hope Lacey gets to go with you so it can be the whole gang! So Lacey can lick her elbow? Thats impressive, I'd love to see a pac of that.
I'm hoping that reading about your trip planning will make the wait for my trip in Oct. seem not so far away:)

Hi, Lisa

Its been a while since I have posted on your thread. I have been "lurking" trying to keep caught up on your other thread and just found this one. I will be getting my Disney fix through your reports also, as of right now we are not going to make down this year. :sad2: Keep up the great writing.:) Brian

Ok..I came on this page and saw the day one pictures, I was soo confused!! But now I'm not!!LOL:rotfl2:

I have a unique ability to confuse myself and others.:lmao: Maybe I should have put that in my list of talents. :thumbsup2

I'm all for doing the drive-through, especially as we're starting out. My kids call it a "picnic in the car." ;)

I also plan on packing a cooler so that we can stop at a rest stop for lunch the second day. We packed a soccer ball when we went to VA Beach two summers ago, and the kids ran around playing and were much easier to corral back into the car after a good hour of eating and running. Assuming we are still driving, that'll be the plan for this one, too. I can pull my stash of bubbles that I use to distract them while waiting in lines out for the little guy, too, but he'll probably want to chase his brother and sister...and get run down, but I guess that's what happens when you're the baby!!

Your plans look good! Can't wait for more!

The first three years, we went to Disney, I packed a small cooler and had sandwiches and drinks in it. The older Hunter got, the more of a picky eater he became and wouldn't touch a sandwich. :confused3 Since Mama will be with us this trip, I have thought about doing the cooler again just to have an excuse to stay a little longer at a rest area. If she thinks she is slowing us down in any way, it bothers her. So, we sneak in little things without her knowing.

I used to take a Frisbee with us and the kids would throw it around when we stopped. When we went to Branson, the kids each won a huge tennis ball and they came in handy during breaks.

I love your bubbles idea. Wish I had thought of that one back when the kids were younger.

Hi! I'm here. I hope Lacey gets to go with you so it can be the whole gang! So Lacey can lick her elbow? Thats impressive, I'd love to see a pac of that.
I'm hoping that reading about your trip planning will make the wait for my trip in Oct. seem not so far away:)

Yes, she can lick her elbow. We had seen something on a television show that said it was impossible to lick your elbow. So, we all tried it. Lacey tried it and she could do it! I'll have to see if I can find the picture and post it for ya'll.

October will be here before you know it!

Im here!! wooot wooooooot:cool1::banana::yay::dance3::cheer2:

Welcome! Welcome!

Hi, Lisa

Its been a while since I have posted on your thread. I have been "lurking" trying to keep caught up on your other thread and just found this one. I will be getting my Disney fix through your reports also, as of right now we are not going to make down this year. :sad2: Keep up the great writing.:) Brian

Hello Brian! You know, I was thinking about you the other day and had hoped that you were doing well.

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for stopping over at my now ended :-)sad1:) TR to let me know you started this. You know I wouldn't miss a trip with you and your family for the world!

Yay that you got Mama to come along! I hope Lacey is able to work it out to join you as well. Hunter will truly miss her if she has to sit this one out.

Your Day One looks great so far! I'm so glad you are doing this because I am just beside myself due to our "no vacation this year" status. UGH! At least I can join you and your awesome family! :thumbsup2

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for stopping over at my now ended :-)sad1:) TR to let me know you started this. You know I wouldn't miss a trip with you and your family for the world!

Yay that you got Mama to come along! I hope Lacey is able to work it out to join you as well. Hunter will truly miss her if she has to sit this one out.

Your Day One looks great so far! I'm so glad you are doing this because I am just beside myself due to our "no vacation this year" status. UGH! At least I can join you and your awesome family! :thumbsup2

Hey Missy,

I hated to see your trip report come to an end. I enjoyed it so very much.

I can tell that Mama is starting to get excited about going with us. She was supposed to go to Alaska and that fell through when she had surgery. Now, she'll be buying Summer clothes instead of Alaska clothes.

Hopefully, Lacey will talk her leaders into letting her go with us. I am not getting my hopes up though 'cause I really think it isn't going to happen.

Ok so now you have my whole family walking around the house trying to lick our elbows!:rotfl:

If anybody does it....take a picture!

I can't believe it took me until page 3 to make it over here :scared1:. I'm so glad you started your PTR :banana: NOW LETS PARTY, OH I MEAN PLAN :woohoo:

Can I please take up a minute of your time? There is a band, Julian Drive, that often travels with Lacey's Mission group to the various conferences. I just found out that the lead singer (who is Lacey's pastor's wife's brother) and several others were in Haiti when the earthquake hit yesterday. From what I understand, they were able to get word to their family that they are okay but they have heard nothing else. I ask that you please keep them in your prayers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter