Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what in the world is going on here. Why does every thread lately have to be a Disney vs. X lately?
Well there was one person who kept this conversation going by constantly comparing how fast pass works to the systems at other parks. It’s hard to tell now since most of my comments were deleted mysteriously while most of theirs were not.....

I have no idea what in the world is going on here. Why does every thread lately have to be a Disney vs. X lately?
Don’t worry, the second Disney gives us some news to discuss the universe will course-correct. Or, if nothing else, at least we’ll be getting some first-hand info from people at the resorts in just a week! Not so much on this topic, but it will be something!

Well there was one person who kept this conversation going by constantly comparing how fast pass works to the systems at other parks. It’s hard to tell now since most of my comments were deleted mysteriously while most of theirs were not.....
As always we have a report feature. Two dozen posts were removed to try and steer the conversation. You certainly were not singled out.

Sorry that it got out of control. All I was trying to do was show my point of view of why I like a paid fast pass system over what Disney does. Its just the way I like to do my theme parks. I was just trying to say my point of view on why a paid system for Disney would be better. Sorry I'm not a Disney apologist.

Last edited:
Sorry that it got out of control. All I was trying to do was show my point of view of why I like a paid fast pass system over what Disney does. Its just the way I like to do my theme parks. I was just trying to say my point of view on why a paid system for Disney would be better. Sorry I'm not a Disney apologist.
People can disagree, that doesn’t make anyone an apologist. I don’t believe you found anyone on this thread who agrees with your points but you keep going out of it. Nice job with the backhanded compliment at the end though, I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite.

I'm a fan of the current FP+ system, but I also enjoy speculating what could be coming down the line.

I think a Virtual Queue system and FP+ could be the next evolution of a new FP system. There's some valid hints here: MDE had a section for virtual queues before Covid, so it may have been in the works.

Certain attractions (one per park - Rise, Tron, GotG, FoP) gets a VQ. The new VQ system is pre-booked so rope-dropping isn't necessary.

VQ = based on your park reservation, they tell you when to show up with a 1 or 2 hour window.
FP = you select your time. But you may be limited one pre-planned per day.

To maximize the benefit, you'll need to stay onsite. Onsite guests would get 1 VQ and 1 FP per day. Day of FP can be gotten for resort guests after the 1st one is consumed. Offsite guests can get day of anytime FP after 3 pm.

For the stable rides (not Rise still), after all VQ are consumed, open the standby line for it.

If VQ's are pre booked at specific times, what is the fundamental difference between that and the current FP+ system?

Even if it was possible, I'm not entirely sure Disney would want for people to be able to jump on every ride quickly. I think the limited access is part of what makes them so appealing to people (kind of the way a kid thinks his friends toys are the absolute best, then loses interest when he has them at home and can play with them any time.) I was thinking about this recently when wondering why Avatarland, Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land have such a limited number of rides - 2 or 3 each. For sheer number of rides, it seems to me that you would get a ton more by just visiting a boardwalk amusement park at any beach. It made me wonder if this is by design - fewer rides with limited availability (vs. the type of experience where you empty your wallet on a bunch of tickets and then let the kids run wild for a few hours). Otherwise it seems like they would have added additional 'small rides' (vs. the headliners) to thin out crowds at each attraction.

I think this is really true. I remember when I was in high school and the annual fair came to town. I loved going on the rides. Then there was one day where it rained heavy in the morning so nobody came. I was able to get on any ride I wanted within 5 minutes. Took me probably an hour to an hour and a half to do all the good rides multiple times. By that time I was bored so I left.

Disney (World) is not a local amusement park. Its a tourist destination that they want people to come for 5 - 10 day trips and stay onsite for the duration. In general, it's not an add-on where you spend half a day at the park while on vacation. They can't have people getting bored and leaving after half a day.

If VQ's are pre booked at specific times, what is the fundamental difference between that and the current FP+ system?
The difference here is that with a Virtual Queue (if we're going off of RotR), you are offered only one slot and told to return when you're called. You're not given a specific time.

If we're going off of what Universal has been doing, it sounds to me like you are told what time you will be able to access the ride, but you don't have a choice.

The current FP+ system allows you to choose a time from a limited selection, but at the very least you can somewhat plan around your FP. With a VQ, it's a bit more difficult.

I think this is really true. I remember when I was in high school and the annual fair came to town. I loved going on the rides. Then there was one day where it rained heavy in the morning so nobody came. I was able to get on any ride I wanted within 5 minutes. Took me probably an hour to an hour and a half to do all the good rides multiple times. By that time I was bored so I left.

Disney (World) is not a local amusement park. Its a tourist destination that they want people to come for 5 - 10 day trips and stay onsite for the duration. In general, it's not an add-on where you spend half a day at the park while on vacation. They can't have people getting bored and leaving after half a day.
A carnival is not the same as an amusement park. I have never gotten bored riding the same rides multiple times on a trip. If I could ride Rock'n'roller coaster 4 or 5 times the day I am at Hollywood Studios I would be in my glory.

The reason I love paid fast pass systems is I don't have to schedule my ride times. I ride what I want when I want. I'm more of a go with the flow person when it comes to vacations and theme parks.

The difference here is that with a Virtual Queue (if we're going off of RotR), you are offered only one slot and told to return when you're called. You're not given a specific time.

If we're going off of what Universal has been doing, it sounds to me like you are told what time you will be able to access the ride, but you don't have a choice.

The current FP+ system allows you to choose a time from a limited selection, but at the very least you can somewhat plan around your FP. With a VQ, it's a bit more difficult.

Right. What most of the wristbands at other parks do is at the base level you'll say I want to ride a ride and it wll look up the current wait time and put that in. You go to the ride then (and if you pay more you can get 50% or 90% of the current wait time).

So you are right - you don't get to pick a specific time. They just give you the current (or some percentage) of current ride wait times. I have had times using those where I'll sit down for lunch and queue a ride up and it actually pop up too early (though you have a period of time you can show up but even with that I've had times it is too son). So sometimes you have to plan when you want to enter the queue on some of those flashpass type devices.

Thanks. That clears up the definition part. Now where I'm stuck is I don't know what this achieves..... If your prebooking your VQ's just without a time how does that help the guest? They now have to sit around all day waiting for their slot randomly show up. How does it help Disney? Possibly very slightly more efficiency?

I'm not suggesting your wrong. I found the idea interesting, but I'm having trouble grasping the purpose.

Thanks. That clears up the definition part. Now where I'm stuck is I don't know what this achieves..... If your prebooking your VQ's just without a time how does that help the guest? They now have to sit around all day waiting for their slot randomly show up. How does it help Disney? Possibly very slightly more efficiency?

I'm not suggesting your wrong. I found the idea interesting, but I'm having trouble grasping the purpose.
In the COVID situation, it allows Disney to manage the physical length of line at the attractions. With 6 ft distancing, the physical line will probably only hold a third to a quarter of how many people it normally would. The VQ allows the line to actually be longer than that and people will get called back to fill in the line as people get on the ride. This is also important because some rides will be running at reduced capacity (basically any ride where the ride vehicle isn't normally confined to just one party.

After COVID isn't a thing anymore, I expect VQ's to go away. Under normal operations Disney needs the ride queues to be full of people otherwise all of the common areas of the park would just end up being saturated with people.

Like the majority on these boards, I like to plan my WDW trips by the day, hour, and even minute.
I like the FP+ system. I did not like the paper fast passes.

On our first couple of trips (paper fast passes) it was not as crowded as recent years. I just looked at the maps and decided my plans. Later, with FP+ I would do the same but use the FP system to hopefully save some time by not waiting in stand by lines. We also use single rider lines if available.

I am not opposed to a paid system like UO. Actually, I think that would be better than the paid CL fast passes that are $50/person per day. I don't think 3 FPs are worth $50. Now, if I am staying less than 5 days -maybe.

I have paid for a couple of EMM events, MNSSHP, MVMCP, Villains night, and after hours. Of all of those, EMM @ TSL was my favorite. MNSSHP and MVMCP have been very crowded on our last few visits. So, if they brought back the EMM for TSL, MK, and had one for SWL then I would probably do those. I have not been to an AK EMM but I have been to after hours @ AK. It was okay in that I got to ride FOP several times in a row with minimal wait time.

They could sell a "Magic" pass that was for certain time frames and lands. Like a "Magic" pass for TSL for 8am-10am, 10am-12pm, etc. you would essentially have a 2 hour fast pass window for a certain land (Fantasy, Star Wars, Toy Story etc). What should this timed "Magic" pass cost? I think the cost should be included with Deluxe resorts, $30 a day/person at moderate resorts and $50 a day/person at value resorts. Off site guests would be $75/day/person. I also think they should make it a perk for direct purchase DVC with a minimum 100 point purchase. Or, they could discount it $20/day/person for DVC members.

The "Magic" pass system could work. There would need to be a set number of times slots available so not to crowd the system AND IF there was availability you could purchase at guest relations. You could even have the option to "swap out" your time if your plans changed. Oh, and there would be a "grace period" of 15 minutes on each end of your time but you would have to be in line AT LEAST 15 minutes before your pass expired.

So, any of you that know a Disney exec. Please feel free to pass along this idea. I would just like passes for my family and I gratis for our trips. :)

Like the majority on these boards, I like to plan my WDW trips by the day, hour, and even minute.
I like the FP+ system. I did not like the paper fast passes.

On our first couple of trips (paper fast passes) it was not as crowded as recent years. I just looked at the maps and decided my plans. Later, with FP+ I would do the same but use the FP system to hopefully save some time by not waiting in stand by lines. We also use single rider lines if available.

I am not opposed to a paid system like UO. Actually, I think that would be better than the paid CL fast passes that are $50/person per day. I don't think 3 FPs are worth $50. Now, if I am staying less than 5 days -maybe.

I have paid for a couple of EMM events, MNSSHP, MVMCP, Villains night, and after hours. Of all of those, EMM @ TSL was my favorite. MNSSHP and MVMCP have been very crowded on our last few visits. So, if they brought back the EMM for TSL, MK, and had one for SWL then I would probably do those. I have not been to an AK EMM but I have been to after hours @ AK. It was okay in that I got to ride FOP several times in a row with minimal wait time.

They could sell a "Magic" pass that was for certain time frames and lands. Like a "Magic" pass for TSL for 8am-10am, 10am-12pm, etc. you would essentially have a 2 hour fast pass window for a certain land (Fantasy, Star Wars, Toy Story etc). What should this timed "Magic" pass cost? I think the cost should be included with Deluxe resorts, $30 a day/person at moderate resorts and $50 a day/person at value resorts. Off site guests would be $75/day/person. I also think they should make it a perk for direct purchase DVC with a minimum 100 point purchase. Or, they could discount it $20/day/person for DVC members.

The "Magic" pass system could work. There would need to be a set number of times slots available so not to crowd the system AND IF there was availability you could purchase at guest relations. You could even have the option to "swap out" your time if your plans changed. Oh, and there would be a "grace period" of 15 minutes on each end of your time but you would have to be in line AT LEAST 15 minutes before your pass expired.

So, any of you that know a Disney exec. Please feel free to pass along this idea. I would just like passes for my family and I gratis for our trips. :)

I see that for APs reservation is required per the WDW website.

In the COVID situation, it allows Disney to manage the physical length of line at the attractions. With 6 ft distancing, the physical line will probably only hold a third to a quarter of how many people it normally would. The VQ allows the line to actually be longer than that and people will get called back to fill in the line as people get on the ride. This is also important because some rides will be running at reduced capacity (basically any ride where the ride vehicle isn't normally confined to just one party.

After COVID isn't a thing anymore, I expect VQ's to go away. Under normal operations Disney needs the ride queues to be full of people otherwise all of the common areas of the park would just end up being saturated with people.

There was some speculation that virtual queues especially in DL were coming even before Covid lockdown. VQ are definitely more ideal for attractions that aren't the most stable but it allows for a little more queue control overall then typical FP+ where allotted 60 days prior. That's why I believe there could be some hybrid (VQ and FP+) coming in the future.

If they are going to make tweaks, I personally think they should kill FP+ on 90% of the attractions (all the shows) and just go straight Standby. And only distribute 1 FP per day. Then you can roll with a MaxPass like system. Again resort guests get the benefit of booking the FP+ and making a VQ reservation for each day they hit the park.

There was some speculation that virtual queues especially in DL were coming even before Covid lockdown. VQ are definitely more ideal for attractions that aren't the most stable but it allows for a little more queue control overall then typical FP+ where allotted 60 days prior. That's why I believe there could be some hybrid (VQ and FP+) coming in the future.

If they are going to make tweaks, I personally think they should kill FP+ on 90% of the attractions (all the shows) and just go straight Standby. And only distribute 1 FP per day. Then you can roll with a MaxPass like system. Again resort guests get the benefit of booking the FP+ and making a VQ reservation for each day they hit the park.
I don't see how they could use VQ under normal park conditions. When we were at Disneyland in November, some of the parks were super crammed with people. I don't see how you could take people out of the lines and add them to that mix. I totally agree about taking FP+ on some of the lower tier rides, it just causes more problems than it solves there.

I don't see how they could use VQ under normal park conditions. When we were at Disneyland in November, some of the parks were super crammed with people. I don't see how you could take people out of the lines and add them to that mix. I totally agree about taking FP+ on some of the lower tier rides, it just causes more problems than it solves there.
Oh, absolutely. It would be a hot mess if they expanded VQ only at Disneyland. There are so, so many chokepoints throughout the parks, even with all of the work they've been doing to remove planters, widen walkways, shift stroller parking, etc.

People can disagree, that doesn’t make anyone an apologist. I don’t believe you found anyone on this thread who agrees with your points but you keep going out of it. Nice job with the backhanded compliment at the end though, I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite.
Ouch. I'll let this go. But if you say ONE thing about hockey, I'm jumping on my moose and coming down there to settle this (with a fierce game of rock, paper, scissors - except we can only use paper because rocks and scissors might hurt).

I have never gotten bored riding the same rides multiple times on a trip. If I could ride Rock'n'roller coaster 4 or 5 times the day I am at Hollywood Studios I would be in my glory.

The reason I love paid fast pass systems is I don't have to schedule my ride times. I ride what I want when I want. I'm more of a go with the flow person when it comes to vacations and theme parks.

You seem to say this a lot.

But you can do exactly that at WDW with VIP. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter