• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of HS class of 2020

Our school is trying. They delivered yard signs that say 2020 to every senior and placed them in their front yards as a surprise. I know they are thinking of an alternative to graduation and there are a few ideas in the works. They lit the football field up with 20- 20 on the scoreboard the other night and they have put a few photos up on FB of kids and where they are going to go to school next year. It is nice to see them doing things to notice the seniors. It has been a lot to process and honestly, I feel like she is doing better with it than I am. I have a lot of sadness with what she is missing and having my first child leave and go to college was already emotional. Now college orientation is online and some schools are already talking about delaying fall to 2021, I guess I have a hard time with the real uncertainty. Thankfully, she seems fine as long as she can talk to her boyfriend all night. :hyper2: I am thankful that she is mostly happy.

...they'll be given a pass/fair grade with like a COV19 coding so their college knows why it's marked like that.
Just a quick note about that -- I'm sure he'll be fine, but make sure he understands the importance of keeping up, because that pass/fail system can be a trap.

At the university where DD is going, they have a notice up about pass/fail and satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading systems. If the student gets a pass or satisfactory, they get credit for the course, but it does not count for GPA. If they get unsatisfactory, they do not get credit, and it does not hurt their GPA.

But if they get FAIL, they don't get credit and it counts as an "F" toward their GPA.

Doesn't strike me as fair...but I'm not the one making the decision.

Just a quick note about that -- I'm sure he'll be fine, but make sure he understands the importance of keeping up, because that pass/fail system can be a trap.

At the university where DD is going, they have a notice up about pass/fail and satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading systems. If the student gets a pass or satisfactory, they get credit for the course, but it does not count for GPA. If they get unsatisfactory, they do not get credit, and it does not hurt their GPA.

But if they get FAIL, they don't get credit and it counts as an "F" toward their GPA.

Doesn't strike me as fair...but I'm not the one making the decision.
Yes!! He's still working on the little work that the teacher is giving out and he has high A's in both classes so I'm not worried about him slipping but I feel the pass/fail is definitely not always fair!

According to administration, his GPA is now, and what he'll graduate with, is what he had at March 13th when our school system "shut down" but he's not sure how he can now incorporate his 2 college classes he's taking into his HS GPA since he's dual-enrolled.. so we're working on that!

They are allowing the kids who, as of March 13th, were failing a class to continue to work to bring up their grades to earn a "pass" marking..

Yes!! He's still working on the little work that the teacher is giving out and he has high A's in both classes so I'm not worried about him slipping but I feel the pass/fail is definitely not always fair!

According to administration, his GPA is now, and what he'll graduate with, is what he had at March 13th when our school system "shut down" but he's not sure how he can now incorporate his 2 college classes he's taking into his HS GPA since he's dual-enrolled.. so we're working on that!

They are allowing the kids who, as of March 13th, were failing a class to continue to work to bring up their grades to earn a "pass" marking..
Right, but because of the huge variety of grading systems, many schools "recalculate" GPA using the same standard for everybody.

For example, in our school system AP, DE and IB classes get 2 bonus points on their weighted GPA for a grade of A or B -- so 6 points for an A instead of 5. We also get 1 bonus point for honors classes instead of the normal .5. DD's school only offers honors or AP/DE classes, and that skews the GPA's. No other school system in Florida does that...but we're special.

So schools often recalculate whatever the transcript shows.

Our school is trying. They delivered yard signs that say 2020 to every senior and placed them in their front yards as a surprise.
Our neighbor goes to a small Christian school and they did a car parade with hornblowing and yard signs for all of their seniors.

Our school usually does a tremendous amount of bragging about our students, but not one word so far. However, there is noone at our school except in the late afternoon when they are distributing the next day's breakfasts and lunches for students.
I know they are thinking of an alternative to graduation and there are a few ideas in the works.
I hope our school does something about Prom and graduation. There is no reason why those can't be held as late as July/early August, other than if someone just doesn't want to do the work.
I have a lot of sadness with what she is missing and having my first child leave and go to college was already emotional
At least with today's technology, we can stay in touch. It's not going to be easy for us either, and we're only about 3 1/2 hours away.

I'm late to the party on this thread and haven't read through all of the pages yet. Our daughter is a HS senior this year and her school has been closed for the year. Of course she was upset about having her last day of HS and not realizing it was the last day, unsure if there will be a prom later in the summer and then what kind of graduation ceremony they will have...if any.

She's come to terms with those items and is moving on. She is still holding out hope for some sort of graduation ceremony. Now her concern has shifted to her first year of college. She starts at James Madison University here in Virginia in the Fall and is super excited about moving in. Now, who knows if that will happen. She could possibly be having her first semester of college at home online.

She's tried to keep a positive outlook throughout all of this and realizes that those issues are small compared to what a lot of folks are going through with this virus. Still stinks.

She's tried to keep a positive outlook throughout all of this and realizes that those issues are small compared to what a lot of folks are going through with this virus. Still stinks.
Yes, we all have to remember that others are going through SO much worse.

DD's boyfriend's father passed away just before Christmas after a long illness, so he is now suddenly the man of the family.

He's a great kid and he's doing as well as can be expected, but he's certainly NOT having the Senior year he had hoped. On the plus side, the isolation has actually helped him in many ways because it's reduced the outside pressures

Yes, we all have to remember that others are going through SO much worse.

DD's boyfriend's father passed away just before Christmas after a long illness, so he is now suddenly the man of the family.

He's a great kid and he's doing as well as can be expected, but he's certainly NOT having the Senior year he had hoped. On the plus side, the isolation has actually helped him in many ways because it's reduced the outside pressures
Oh man. That’s a lot in a year. I’m so sorry to hear that. 😔

I posted on another thread, but DD's skating club called and they are doing a drive-by celebration for her next month. She's been a mentor to many of the younger girls for years, so they're saying thanks. I'm not sure there are any other Seniors still active in the club; most girls quit around 13-14.

I posted on another thread, but DD's skating club called and they are doing a drive-by celebration for her next month. She's been a mentor to many of the younger girls for years, so they're saying thanks. I'm not sure there are any other Seniors still active in the club; most girls quit around 13-14.

That is so sweet! I’m so happy for your DD!

Anyone reconsidering college choice based on the potential of online learning in the fall? Our state schools are planning for the potential of being online this fall but nothing definite yet. I know things can change before then, but at this point I can’t see the kids crowding into the dorms in August. DD has committed to a school In a neighboring state and I don’t think it makes sense to pay out of state tuition for her to be taking classes from home. With the May 1 commitment deadline quickly approaching, is anyone basing their decision on the possibility of classes being remote?

Anyone reconsidering college choice based on the potential of online learning in the fall? Our state schools are planning for the potential of being online this fall but nothing definite yet. I know things can change before then, but at this point I can’t see the kids crowding into the dorms in August. DD has committed to a school In a neighboring state and I don’t think it makes sense to pay out of state tuition for her to be taking classes from home. With the May 1 commitment deadline quickly approaching, is anyone basing their decision on the possibility of classes being remote?
Many families certainly are rethinking for many reasons. Some have been hit with layoffs, lost jobs, etc. If the family loses income, some big changes have to be made -- and staying home for school is certainly an easy BIG change.

I'm a little worried what happens to the rest of the college experience with online classes? I mean I had some GREAT profs in college, but honestly that is only one piece of the college experience.

And what do you do if your chosen school goes online for the Fall and a local school continues as before with all the normal college activities in addition to in-person classes and real labs?

It's a complex question, with many facets besides tuition.

I can see why you would reconsider out of state at this time.

Our dd finally made her college choice 3 weeks ago. She decided on an in state school 5 hours away.

Even 3 weeks ago I wasn't thinking the pandemic would affect fall move ins.

Since then, it has affected orientation which is online and I am starting to think she may have her 1st semester online here at home.

I have also seen a personal example of this issue. Our DD was accepted to a local, very good, university -- but with summer admission, meaning she'd have to take one online course during the summer. Today she got an email saying her acceptance had been changed from "Early Fall" (Summer B online) to regular Fall. That didn't happen in a vacuum -- someone who had committed for the Fall changed their mind.

I am absolutely worried about fall but we will not switch schools. She loves the school she has planned on attending and we don’t need any more upheaval in our lives right now. I feel like the more we can keep the same at this moment, the better. My biggest worry is what these kids are going to miss. DD has already told me hates online learning. She is very social and out going. Being away from friends, teachers etc has taken away all the stuff she loves the most about school and left the monotonous. It has been harder for her to stay focused. She’s still getting it done, but at home, with 4 siblings constantly annoying her (and she shares a room with one) it hasn’t been the easiest. It’s not like she can go to a library and get a break. If this continues into the fall it will be heartbreaking. Especially after no graduation, prom etc. I am with you though, I can’t see it happening at this point and it has me really concerned.

I am absolutely worried about fall but we will not switch schools. She loves the school she has planned on attending and we don’t need any more upheaval in our lives right now. I feel like the more we can keep the same at this moment, the better. My biggest worry is what these kids are going to miss. DD has already told me hates online learning. She is very social and out going. Being away from friends, teachers etc has taken away all the stuff she loves the most about school and left the monotonous. It has been harder for her to stay focused. She’s still getting it done, but at home, with 4 siblings constantly annoying her (and she shares a room with one) it hasn’t been the easiest. It’s not like she can go to a library and get a break. If this continues into the fall it will be heartbreaking. Especially after no graduation, prom etc. I am with you though, I can’t see it happening at this point and it has me really concerned.
YAY! Glad to hear that! UCF is a great school.

Florida is working to make lots of decisions on reopening, and of course our university system is a huge part of that. They have a task force that is studying all the issues and trying to start making decisions as soon as conditions permit. But of course, the virus will make many of the decisions for them.

My son is exactly the same... very social and finding it hard to work on line. He needs the socialization to energize him. He's also so disappointed that some of the kids he calls friends at school may be people he never sees again, since he's going to a school 3 hours away in the fall. Well, that's the plan, anyway.

On the one hand, I want him to be able to go, but on the other, I want him safe at home, if there's to be another worse outbreak of this thing.

One good sign from Purdue University in Indiana -- they are going to do everything they can to reopen in the Fall.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...0-purdue-university-mitch-daniels/3018469001/
I'm sure many schools are hoping the same way. They are going to take an enormous financial hit that some won't survive if they are not able to re-open.
My daughter is a freshman at Mizzou (well, she's a Mizzou freshman in her bedroom right now, but you get the idea). They announced this past week that their plan is to reopen in the fall with students on campus.

Big hugs still coming to everyone in this thread dealing with graduating seniors and the uncertainty of starting college in the midst of this mess.

We live near the venue used for many high school graduations in our area. Our daily walks take us by that venue every day. And every day we have the same conversation. We just can't help it. We just feel so bad for all those seniors.

Updates-I've been off the Dis (and really all social media) for some time. Needed the mental break.
HS senior has made her choice-UCF! It surprised me a bit as she was leaning towards Minnesota. We were supposed to to campus visits for Arizona state and University of Minnesota over spring break-when all the shut downs happened.
Our school district also decided to hold prom July 18, and graduation August 6 or 7th. They are supposed to be working out a schedule for kids to pick up the gowns, yearbooks, announcements (what a waste of money now) etc. I'm glad they are planning on at least doing some Senior year things to round out their experience.
The governor called off going to the schools for the rest of the semester on Tuesday. Online instruction continues.

The school district will be celebrating the seniors with pictures on Facebook. And will announce other plans

I was compelled to order supplies from Michael's yesterday to decorate our front doors and windows to celebrate our graduating daughter who has accomplished so much. I started gathering memorabilia from around the house last night to go with the Michael's purchases and have staged it in our dining room.

She rolled her eyes and said, 'You know this is for you, right?' Yeah, but that's beside the point. Lol
Good idea! I think I will do the same-and maybe we can drive around and decorate her friends doors too.
Now college orientation is online and some schools are already talking about delaying fall to 2021,
UCF is online orientation this summer. I've been impressed with their communication actually. But IMO it is way way way too early to be talking about calling off fall on campus classes.
YAY! Glad to hear that! UCF is a great school.

Florida is working to make lots of decisions on reopening, and of course our university system is a huge part of that. They have a task force that is studying all the issues and trying to start making decisions as soon as conditions permit. But of course, the virus will make many of the decisions for them.
With more and more studies coming out that the virus has been here weeks longer than previously thought, I'm optimistic about the fall. Mine got admitted to the COMPASS program-she submitted her math test yesterday.
My daughter is a freshman at Mizzou (well, she's a Mizzou freshman in her bedroom right now, but you get the idea). They announced this past week that their plan is to reopen in the fall with students on campus.
M-I-Z-!
We live in Springfield but neither of my older kids wanted an in state school! Middle kid did visit Mizzou and got accepted but decided on UCF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter