Park availability gone most of May 2021 - what's going on?

Ugh, I wanted to switch HS for Epcot and put it off because I figured Epcot was a safe park to most likely have a pass available. When do they typically release AP availability to the other groups? And yes I know there is no guarantee in that. I might have to upgrade to a hopper, which I was contemplating anyway.

Oh that’s probably not an option as reservations everyday for my ticket dates are not available.

ETA I was able to switch but it required hoping for the best. I have an extra old ticket linked on my MDE to a friend. I tested if I could go on through making a reservation. I could for EVERY park every day except one on my trip. So I bit the bullet, cancelled HS and got into Epcot. I cancelled all test reservations. This option obviously isn’t for everyone. Just saying don’t give up hoping they release more as it’s likely they are there.

Last edited:
I am wondering the same thing about May. Going the second week and not only have park reservations been full for a little bit, but for my dates, nearly every single hotel is booked solid. A suite at Contemporary and a Cabin at the Fort are the ONLY options that week at all.

I made reservations for HS for two days in my week, figuring that if I didn’t get RoR Boarding Group in the a.m.I would audible to AK. Now AK isnt even available and I have NO reservation for AK in my week :( I am hoping they will open up more spots as it gets closer. Either that or I will have to try to upgrade my tickets to park hoppers so we can get over to AK sometime that week.

I don't see this changing anytime soon as long as Disney is limiting capacity. Get your tickets early and get your days reserved.

My biggest concern is how they are going to implement increased park capacity without making lines even worse than they are now. I'm not looking forward to the long lines (or getting up crazy early to beat the crowds). Even during busier summer times in the past, we never waited long in ANY line, including all the headliners, due to proper use FP+.

I suppose I fall into this category of someone who is fully vaccinated, has reached COVID fatigue, and is ready to enter crowded areas once again.

I am booked at OKW the second week of May. I chose that week due to Spring break being over and typically lower crowds. I guess I wasn't the only one who thought this way... :rotfl2:

I have reservations in May/June that I made the first day the reservation system opened last year (anyone remember that day? thank goodness someone told me about incognito mode!!). This trip is a rescheduled trip from last year, I can't be the only one who bumped last year to this year. I wonder if that is part of the availability issue?

I made reservations for HS for two days in my week, figuring that if I didn’t get RoR Boarding Group in the a.m.I would audible to AK. Now AK isnt even available and I have NO reservation for AK in my week :( I am hoping they will open up more spots as it gets closer. Either that or I will have to try to upgrade my tickets to park hoppers so we can get over to AK sometime that week.

How many are in your party? I actually was able to switch but I am solo and had an extra ticket linked to someone else in my MDE that I could test if you could still go on through and tested making a reservation. I was actually able to book a reservation at EVERY park for all but one day in my trip. But as I said that’s for ONE person. I released any test reservations, held my breath as I cancelled my actual reservation, and did get my Epcot day. This option obviously isn’t for everyone. Just saying don’t give up hoping they release more as it’s likely they are there.

Last edited:
How many are in your party? I actually was able to switch but I am solo and had an extra ticket linked to someone else in my MDE that I could test if you could still go on through and tested making a reservation. I was actually able to book a reservation at EVERY park for all but one day in my trip. But as I said that’s for ONE person. I released any test reservations, held my breath as I cancelled my actual reservation, and did get my Epcot day. This option obviously isn’t for everyone. Just saying don’t give up hoping they release more as it’s likely they are there.
SEVEN in my family!

Schools will start ending the year in May in some areas. Combine that with the fact that many people did not get a summer vacation last year, and I could easily see people planning their trips earlier this year.

I have a feeling fp might return in a different format, maybe as an extra charge.

I’ve seen this mentioned before also, and don’t give Disney any ideas. :). How would that be for a warm welcome back after the Covid area. Here is your FP+! But wait, now you gotta pay sucka!!!

Dan

There’s gonna be continued waves of guests returning for quite a while. People who:
  • were waiting to finally feel comfortable
  • rescheduled trips from last year
  • want to celebrate big this summer
  • are going in for the 50th
  • love visiting over the holidays (many skipped last year)
  • international finally able to come
It may well be very busy for the next 12 months straight. We’re going in Sept and hope to see a dip then before the 50th. We booked it somewhat for lower crowds but more so because it’s a cheaper trip season. Just didn’t want to spend big if the experience was still compromised.

Just a heads up that if any of the dates of your trip are full for park reservations for all 4 parks it may not be possible to add the park hopper option. Some have reported success after numerous calls and many hours in the phone but most times it’s not possible to add them. You can also try once you get to WDW but the answer could go either way.

I know for a lot of people I know (my family included) being vaccinated has opened up the door to traveling again. My son & I went in January, and the worst part of the trip was the 4-day quarantine (3 day wait before getting tested and then 36 hours after that to get results) from other family members who didn't go when we got home. For us, the quarantine is not necessary now.

Also, as a DVC member A LOT of people have two years of points to use in one year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter