Photo Backpack?

We own the Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW and the 200 Fastpack. Both work really well as long as you don't have a lot of equipment (multiple bodies, large lenses & tripod, etc.). The Fastpack carries more equipment, but does not have a rain cover and the Slingshot carries less equipment, but has the built-in rain cover. For WDW, I would recommend something with a rain cover. In my many trips to WDW, I have always had a least one day of rain. Since my DW and I each shoot with a DSLR we will have at least both bags and probably a third or fourth available on our next trip. I have researched at great lengths looking for the perfect bag for our equipment and have yet to find it. Everything is a compromise. I will probably end up with a large bag to carry all the equipment on the plane and then divide it between the others for each day depending what the daily plan is. I really do need a Sherpa :rotfl2:!!

I lug all my gear in a ThinkTank backpack but also carry a Slingshot 100 with me when I go to the World.

It is so easy to sling the bag onto your lap when getting onto rides then sling it back when getting off. The cover is handy for wet rides, rain showers, etc. I think is has a real advantage in the parks.

Chuck

The Fastpack arrived and has been with me to the park and the circus. So far, it's easy to use and reasonably comfortable. The back of the bag feels a little odd since it doesn't conform to the body like a regular backpack does. I don't carry extra lenses, so it also will hold my video camera.

I'm looking forward to getting some great shots of DD's first trip to the World!

I am going to Disney in Dec. This will be the 1st time going with a DSLR.
My bag I have now is the Kata 3 in 1 Sling Backpack, Large. It is a little bigger the backpack I took the last 3 times I went to Disney. Has anyone used this bag there before & do you think it would be too much bag. Should I use this to go there & go home and get something smaller to carry in the parks?
Dante

I am going to Disney in Dec. This will be the 1st time going with a DSLR.
My bag I have now is the Kata 3 in 1 Sling Backpack, Large. It is a little bigger the backpack I took the last 3 times I went to Disney. Has anyone used this bag there before & do you think it would be too much bag. Should I use this to go there & go home and get something smaller to carry in the parks?
Dante

I have this bag in the smallest size and used it on our last trip to WDW. If I remember correctly, I ended up carrying the Kata on our first day there and also on our AK day since I had my large telephoto with me that day. The other days I ended up just putting a smaller telephoto in my Vera Bradley backpack purse and carrying my camera. Normally I don't keep my camera in the bag so this worked out best.

Of course it depends on what you want to take with you into the parks, but I like to travel light. You can always take a large ziploc bag to keep your camera dry on water rides if you don't have your bag with you.

Im a huge fan of Domke shoulder bags. That being said, I was a little concerned about using that type of bag at Disney so I just bought a Kata 3n1-20 (the middle size, no laptop compartment) for my upcoming trip in August.

I was impressed with the ability to turn it into a sling for either shoulder as well as a backpack. Being used to shoulder bags, so far Ive found that by removing all the weight from one side of me, I feel much more free and balanced as I move around shooting.

If you are worried that it's going to be too much bag, I would take it with you and perhaps pick up a small messenger bag in case you find you'd rather just pack 1 or 2 extra lenses.

I've taken the 3N130 a couple times now and really like it for the parks. No issue with the size. Just right for what I need.

For reference, here is a photo of me carrying the bag (never mind the lens hood bangle!)

721038015_H38fw-L.jpg

For reference, here is a photo of me carrying the bag (never mind the lens hood bangle!)

What a cute pic! Your daughter is adorable. The lens hood bangle works beautifully with the outfit. I do the same thing:rotfl:

OP, I have the 3N1 20 and find that although it is larger than my other bags it fits on all the rides and under plane seats. Never felt it was in the way. The only problem I've had is some irritation on my shoulder from the strap.

I do not have the Canon Backpack - from the pictures it looks like it would be the kind of thing that you would need to lay it down on a table to extract the camera from when you wanted to use it - not particularly user-friendly. It does look like it holds a bunch of stuff though.

I use a Lowepro Fastpack 250, it is a backpack that allows you to swing it around on one shoulder strap and extract your DSLR (with lens attached) from a side opening flap without taking the entire backpack off. I found it very convenient on a trip to France/Disneyland Paris.

That's the one that I primarily use. Mine has help up very well under multiple trips to WDW with it loaded to the gills (camera body, 24-70, 70-200, 17-40, 50, 15mm fisheye, plus other goodies such as filters, a remote release, rocket blower, memory cards, etc). I've used a few other backpacks (such as Lowepro and Crumpler), but I always come back to this one. It's relatively inexpensive and gets the job done.

Camera bags are such a personal preference that it's really hard to recommend them, but at that price for this bag, I think it's a gamble that's worth trying out.

I do not have the Canon Backpack - from the pictures it looks like it would be the kind of thing that you would need to lay it down on a table to extract the camera from when you wanted to use it

^^This is true. If that is something that would bother you (it doesn't bother me), then I would definitely look to one of the Lowepro fastpack or slingshot bags as Bstanley has recommended.

I have the bag and its hard to beat it for the price.

However, I would not call in uncomfortable, but its not the greatest if you have it fully loaded and will be wearing it all day.

Mine no longer holds all of my gear and I'm also looking for something with better padding/support for longer excursions. This is the one I'm asking for for Christmas, probably the 400.

http://www.lowepro.com/protrekker

Thanks for the input. I don't think ours would be too heavy since we just have one camera body and two lenses. Although I might want to take the tripod too.
Since I know I'll have extra room, will it work to carry other things in it too? I usually take a backpack with small ponchos, medicine, water bottles, a few snacks. Do you think I could get it all into this one and DH and I can take turns carrying it?

My original bag was the Slingshot 200. I found it uncomfortable when cinched across the chest, I decided to upgrade and enlarge to hold all my equipment and went to the Flipside 400 AW. While this is a great bag, I found on a recent trip to Wash D.C. that by the end of a long day of sightseeing my back and shoulders hurt from the weight. I'm now looking for a smaller, supplemental "day" bag that will hold a DSLR body 1 or 2 lenses and a flash.

Thanks for the input. I don't think ours would be too heavy since we just have one camera body and two lenses. Although I might want to take the tripod too.
Since I know I'll have extra room, will it work to carry other things in it too? I usually take a backpack with small ponchos, medicine, water bottles, a few snacks. Do you think I could get it all into this one and DH and I can take turns carrying it?

I assume you're still asking about the Canon backpack. If so, the short answer would be "yes." The bag is big enough to pack all that. However, the water bottles may pose a slight problem. There really isn't a good place to carry water bottles on or in that Canon pack. I've tried to carry them in the side pockets, but they're not deep enough and the bottles will end up falling out somewhere. I guess you could place them in one of the top zipped pockets, but I would be concerned with condensation or the bottle leaking inside the bag. Hope that helps!

I have had that bag for about a 1 year or so and have used it on a few trips to disney. For the money it cannot be beat. I have taken it to disney with a canon 40d body, canon 70-200 lens, 17-40 canon lens, 28-70 canon lens, a flash, lensbaby and portable tripod. It holds up well and I think from what you want to carry would be a good choice. The water bottles i would put in the front outside area, that has the strap downs,depending on the tripod you will be taking. Though myself, I would not keep water in my camera bag, that is why the wife has her bag :thumbsup2

Thank you Todd and Saturn. That helps a lot. I'm going to buy the Canon deluxe backpack. It looks like a good bargain.

I have that Canon backpack and while it has a lot of room, I don't like how it keeps the camera (and the weight) at the top of the bag if you don't have a lot of other lenses to add to the bag. To me, that's a big deal. It's cheap but I'd prefer something a little smaller and with better weight distribution.

I don't think ours would be too heavy since we just have one camera body and two lenses. Although I might want to take the tripod too.

With the gear you plan on taking, I don't know that I would use that particular backpack. I still think its a great multi-purpose backpack, but the last two times that I went to DL while trying to travel light (which for me is just one body and two lenses), I just put my gear into my regular daypack with the lenses in their own cases like this. Made it much easier to carry extra stuff (jacket, water bottle, etc) and easier to get things in and out while on the move.

I still use the backpack you originally mentioned to store all my gear for day to day use and when I know I'll be needing to bring my whole kit.

One thing about that backpack though, I'm not that crazy with how it carries the tripod horizontal on the bottom. Mine keeps slipping off and makes it more difficult to set the pack down. My next bag will have vertical storage, but at Disney, you'll probably be better off storing it in a locker until night when you need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter