Please, Help us decide

poohs4me

DIS Veteran
There are three of us two adults, one child and we do not know what to do. Out of the three of us, I am the only one who has ever been on a cruise and that was 10 years. We currenlty have reservations at the WL for the first week in June. For some reason, we decided to into the cruise option and we think we are going to do that, but can't decide which category to go for. My travel agent said for a discount rate, we could either get a category 11, 9, or 6 with the difference in price being $200 dollars to upgrade to the category 9 and $700 dollars to upgrade to the category 6. I admit it would be so neat to have a balcony, but when I went on my cruise years ago I was never in the room, so I am reluctant to pay for this. What do you guys think?

Cruise or Wilderness lodge?
and
Cat 11, 9 or 6?

If it were me I would go on the cruise and take that Cat. 6- but then again that's what I do every year :)!

There are 3 in my family (me-34,DH-40, and DD-11). We started cruising DCL in 1999 and have gone once a year since then. The first cruise we took was in a cat 11. We were fine and loved it- enough to rebook a cat 11 again the next year! We only slept and changed in our room. We were upgraded to a cat 8 the next year. Once again we loved the room- but were only in there to sleep and shower/change BUT the slpit baths were great. We rebooked the next year and decided if we could get a secret porthole room we would go for a cat 10. We did and it is exactly the same as the cat 8. Last year we decided on a cat 7- navagator verandah because we got a great price and I was stressed and knew that I would just kinda veg by myself. It was wonderful I have to say but the room is the exact same as the 10 and 8 except for of course instead of a big wall size porthole you have a door. This year we have opted for a cat 9 because the cat 10/11 available for Fl resident rate were on lower decks anyway and it would be $1200 more to get a cat 6- that is almost another cruise for us!- so I have opted to go for the 9. I enjoy going out to the decks and doing the activities offered- it isn't like you can sunbath on your verandah.. Iwould save the $700 and use that as extra spending $$ or take some excursions that you normally wouldn't have. Better yet- SPA SPA SPA!

I agree with Ann and would go with the cruise with a balcony.

You didn't say how old your son is but if you think your son will be taking a nap or going to bed early in the evening than the balcony can be a wonderful place for you and your DH to relax.

Go for the balcony! It is like having an extention on your room. If you have a inside cabin of course you would not want to spend much time in your cabin, but if you have a balcony it is like having your own little piece of the ocean. If you have kids it is nice when the kids go to bed to have a little private spot for a drink or whatever;)
Our kids spent alot of time out on the balcony watching us come into ports and I spent alot of time early in the morning watching the sunrise or late night storms miles away. A balcony is worth every penny.

Balconies are great .... but more importantly ... try the cruise! I think that you will be in for a real treat with the balcony or without it ... just make sure you get on that cruise ship!

Originally posted by Bev J
Go for the balcony! It is like having an extention on your room. If you have a inside cabin of course you would not want to spend much time in your cabin, but if you have a balcony it is like having your own little piece of the ocean. If you have kids it is nice when the kids go to bed to have a little private spot for a drink or whatever;)
Our kids spent alot of time out on the balcony watching us come into ports and I spent alot of time early in the morning watching the sunrise or late night storms miles away. A balcony is worth every penny.

I think you hit the nail on the head Bev ! I always wondered why people who don't have a veranda always say we don't spend hardly any time in our cabin.,, but they are right in one sence I spend very little time actually IN the cabin but a great deal of time on the veranda! Our son always needs to wind down before sleep with a little tv in bed. We go out on the veranda and he is free to watch what he pleases, it is so peacefull out there i have fallen asleep more than once. IT is great for first thing in the morning or just when you want some down time. I agree that sitting in a cabin is a bore but sitting on a veranda is one of the best things on earth!~

Definitely the Cruise & the Verandah!!! There is nothing in the world like a Disney Cruise! My family loves WDW, but give us a choice and we'll take the DCL! The extra $ for the Cat 6 is well worth it. You'll have the time of your life!

I decided to take your advice and tried to book the category 6, but there were none left. So I went ahead and took a category 9. Tell me it will be okay.

I think it really depends. We are in a category 8 for our cruise this summer. We also had a category 8 during our last cruise and were hardly ever in the room. Our friends who are traveling with us opted for the category 6 with the verandah. It would have cost us $1,000 more for the verandah. I wasn't willing to spend the extra $$$. The cruise is already costing us a fortune, and I would rather spend those $$$ on excursions, souveniers, etc. So I think it depends on what is important to you. I would love to have a verandah. It sounds wonderful to have a cup of coffee in the morning with the hubby as we pull into port, but neither hubby nor I drink coffee so we'll forgo the verandah and go up on deck to see the boat pull into port.

We took a 4 day cruise 2 yrs ago and doing a 7 day western May 10 in a cat 6 verandah. It cost me a lot of overtime to pay for the cat 6 room but I loved it last time. I could not imaging sitting in a dark dark room. I love the sunlight in the morning. Maybe you could try a 4 day cat 6 if money is an issue?

Cat 9's are not dark at all....the ones on Deck 2 have huge 4 ft. round portholes that let in lots of light.

We have stayed in Cat 4's, Cat 6 and Cat 9's....loved them all but like the location of the Cat 9's on Deck 2 the best.

MJ

Hi poohs4me!

There are three of us two adults, one child and we do not know what to do.

Try reading "The American Academy of Pediatrics: Caring For Your Baby And Young Child - Birth To Age 5."

Although I LOVE my veranda... given a choice between a cruise with no veranda and no cruise the cruise itself would win every time! They didn't have any garantees available?

I think you'll enjoy the Cat. 9 (although ultimately the verandah would be my first choice). We cruised our first cruise a couple of years ago in a "Porthole" room and it was fantastic! You won't regret choosing the DCL over WDW. It's the best vacation our family has ever taken!!!! :p

I think you will enjoy the category 9. DH, DD, and I cruised in a category 9 on deck 2 in June 2001 and truly enjoyed it. We are planning to cruise in category 9 in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter