Please suggest an inexpensive & lightweight stroller for 50 pound child.

Spoisal

DIS Veteran
My DD is 5 1/2 (and 50 pounds - 48 inches), but we will still need a stroller while in WDW. It looks like it is cheaper to buy a stroller & then give it to goodwill than to rent one at Disney. Any suggestions on an inexpensive & lightweight stroller? Or am I asking too much?

OK - i'll settle for lightweight OR inexpensive - HA HA! Anybody have any ideas?

How about a double stroller that holds 90-100 pounds is lightweight/inexpensive? Any ideas there?

I think the problem may be a lightweight stroller that holds 50 pounds. I know my maclaren will (even though I think it says up to 40) but I doubt you want to spend $200 on a throwaway stroller. I don't know how much weight a typical umbrella stroller holds, but that is worth checking into.

There are lots of stroller threads floating around, if you search, but I think you'll have to go to the store & try some out.

I really love my maclaren, but we took a century stroller to disney (similar to many of the gracos) and loved the convenience of having a nice basket & 3 cup holders. It looks like a slightly larger version of the Graco Kite Lite, which is nice WDW stroller, at least for smaller babies. If the kite lite can hold your child, I'd look into that.

I agree with the previous poster who said go and try some out. When I was looking for an inexpensive stroller to bring to WDW for my 5 yo DD, I tried no less than 20 strollers to find one! She was a very lightweight 5 yo, only weighed about 38 pounds, but she was tall enough that her head rose above the back of many strollers, making it uncomfortable for her. I even ordered a Combi online, but ended up returning it because it still wasn't right. I ended up finding a nice Graco lightweight stroller at Toys R Us for about $30. It had a big basket underneath which was invaluable during the vacation, and had a cup holder/tray that clipped in between the handles. I loved it!

Try some out so you know which features are important to you and make sure it "fits"....! Have fun!

Sammy - Do you remember the name of your Graco stroller? I think I will try some out, good idea!

Hi Spoisal:

I checked on stroller in the garage and it is a Kolcraft LiteSport XT (not a Graco like I thought!). Anyway....I really liked this stroller and it worked well for us for our trip. It doesn't fold up like an umbrella stroller, but does fold flat. I loved having the "parent tray" which fits between the handles. Here is a link to the Kolcraft site which shows the current style of XT. LiteSport XT

Mine, purchased 2 years ago, does not have the "one hand fold button" like the one shown. Also, I never even saw a weight limit on the one we purchased, and this one states 30 or so pounds. DD used it just fine and she was almost 40 at the time. Not sure how it would be for 50 pounds.

I also saw quite few lightweight strollers on the K-mart website....they list several Combi's, Graco's, etc. Lightweight Strollers

I purchased a few weeks ago a Maclaren Volo online and Babiesrus. It is only 8lbs and from what I've heard one of the best on the market. I got a 20.00 off coupon online at the website. I hope this helps...

My ds is 4 yrs old 48 in height and 50 lbs. We will be travelling to WDW in December. I am bringing a stroller for him. He is a big boy for his age but I know he will like a place to sit now and then. I took my ds shopping last weekend and tried a variety of strollers. The ones with baskets are great but unfortuantely because of his size they are not appropriate. He was just to big. Reclining strollers are a great idea but again because of size the strollers bakc panel will break because of the weight. ( i know because one stroller did rip in the store while my ds was testing it out) I've opted for the cheap $13.99 umberalla stroller. It's cheap light weight and believe it or not remarkably more sturdy and durable then the more expensive ones. I'll miss a basket but I figure my ds is not sitting in the stroller we can let the backpack take a ride. I'll also miss a cup holder but hey thats what your husbands are for right? lol. So the cheapie umbrella stroller is my suggestion.

Good Luck :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc

KAREN55555: Which umbrella stroller did you choose? What brand/model? Thanks!

I chose a stroller from Walmart. The brand is "Avaco". I've never heard of it before. These umbrella strollers come in great colours and patterns too. A friend of mine has one of these strollers that she uses and stores in her car. She also gives it rave reviews. My theory is why spend alot of money on something that you won't use when you get back to the real world. If anything happens to this stroller I don't care because I only paid $13.99 for it. You can also check the stroller in with your baggage at the airport. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Also I'm sure if you don't have a Wal-mart near I bet you'd find the strollers at a K-mart, Target type bargain store.

:wave: :wave:

I just purchased one of the inexpensive umbrella strollers for $15 at Buy Buy Baby. Babies are Us carries an almost identical one for about the same price.

Hi!

I'm going to be at Disney World in Nov. I'm taking an old Graco stroller for my 4 yr old grandson. I plan on leaving it there as we will not be needing it. If anyone is going to be at DW Nov 17- 25 I would be happy to give it to you and maybe you could pass it on to someone else when you leave.]

What a great idea!! We should start a stroller pass off. To bad I'm going to WDW in December. I wouldnt mind passing my stroller off to anyone who needs it. I just bought an umbrella stroller. I'll be in WDW Dec 25- Jan 3. Any takers??

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

I'm taking both my daughters out today to try some out - i'm going to try the Combi SUBV, the Graco Kite Litesport (something like that), and some different cheap umbrella strollers. I also heard about a Jeep Wrangler Sport Umbrella stroller I would like to try.... i'll keep you all posted!

Good Luck:D on your stroller search.

Keep us posted. Remember don't be afraid to whizz up and down the aisles for your stroller test drive

:p

Wow! I knew my DD was small but she must be TINY compared to these kids! She will turn 6 in a few weeks and is 35 pounds.

We had her at WDW last November as she was turning 5 and she did fine at a slow pace with no stroller. Another option for those who are willing to take it slow and have mid-day breaks.

Peggy

peg2001 - turning 6 & 35 pounds - wow! That is great - I bet her clothes last forever. My 2 1/2 year old is 40 pounds (I know she is HUGE!!! - she already wears a size 9 1/2 shoe).

well - I went with 2 umbrella strollers $11 eacn - 1 for my 50 pound 5 year old & 1 for my 40 pound 2 1/2 year old. Heck - it is only for Disney - if they break - no big loss!! Wish us luck!

Just a thought - when my four year old saw the "Disney strollers" - she really wanted to ride in one... because it was a hassle to carry our stroller from AS movies I decided to rent for the one day we were at MK. We got the Disney Dollar on return and it is happily displayed on her bulletin board. Tyed a ballon on it to make it easy to spot - worth every penny....have fun!!

Hip, Hip, Horray!!!!

The umbrella strollers are really the way to go. I'm so glad you didn't waste a lot of money on an expensive stroller. Just think you now have more spending money for WDW. Job well done!

Let us know how it holds on on the trip. I leave CHristmas day with my umbrella stroller. Who ever returns first can post there outcome.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

...a full-size stroller by plane to Disney? (You'd think this was a life or death question -- lol -- but I've gone back and forth a dozen times!) We have a Graco Literider -- definitely not as small as an umbrella stroller, but not overly huge (about 20 lbs.). Very comfortable, easy to push, w/ cup holders, etc. The question is, do we risk bringing it on the airplane and checking it (will it get mangled in baggage area), or buy a cheaper/smaller stroller that may not be as comfortable/convenient for our daughter or us??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter