Poll: Would You Travel To Aulani?

We originally were scheduled to go in May, and that got rescheduled to the last week of October. When I heard that Aulani was opening Nov 1st, I just smacked my head. Knowing that we'd lose our points at the end of November, and hearing that WDW is just getting more and more crowded, we were lucky enough to just push the reservation back two weeks.

We're now scheduled to go in the second week of November. We've already done WDW in masks, and we had a great time! Aulani will be great too!

We’re booked for 9 nights this January. Can’t wait! We feel good about the Covid test requirement, and the greater assurance it provides. The potential reduced activities don’t bother us at all.

Not only would we, we changed 12 nights at Animal Kingdom over Marathon weekend to split stay Maui and Aulani!

Glad Hawaii doing the VID test requirements like Alaska has had for a while. We’ll be able to relax.

Florida Governor’s announcement last night making the state wide open for the VID makes us too nervous to go .... DW is RN in VID unit of a Hospital here and has seen and dealt with patient short and long term impacts of this virus first hand. No thank you.

Getting tested is very small price to pay for one’s peace of mind about one’s self and more importantly others Who will be vacationing around us.
My DH and I have 6 nights planned DVC at WDW over marathon weekend (we were going to run the marathon). Now that the races have been cancelled and with the recent Gov announcement I started thinking on Aulani. We live in NJ and I work in NY (I am a teacher..DH is in the healthcare industry) and Florida will likely still be on our quarantine list. We have never been to Hawaii and I would hate to have our first time be a lesser experience but the low crowds is very appealing to me. Our points will also be lost if we do not use them by Jan 30 due to our use year. Aulani is not a one and done for us. Thoughts/opinions?

My DH and I have 6 nights planned DVC at WDW over marathon weekend (we were going to run the marathon). Now that the races have been cancelled and with the recent Gov announcement I started thinking on Aulani. We live in NJ and I work in NY (I am a teacher..DH is in the healthcare industry) and Florida will likely still be on our quarantine list. We have never been to Hawaii and I would hate to have our first time be a lesser experience but the low crowds is very appealing to me. Our points will also be lost if we do not use them by Jan 30 due to our use year. Aulani is not a one and done for us. Thoughts/opinions?
We’re new Aulani owners, and our nine days in January will be our first stay as DVC members. The potential low crowds are a big plus for us as well. So is the required testing. With the easing up of precautions in Florida, we feel as if Aulani at this point is safer than WDW. There were restaurants this summer at Disney Springs, like The Boathouse, whose interior was absolutely packed, where the management didn’t appear to be adhering to any social distancing guidelines. We were surprised during our WDW Riviera stay late August that no temperature check was required at any of the hotels.

Not because of loosing points, but every thing else you stated is exactly why we are now going to Hawaii .... 5 nights in Maui at a Westin timeshare resort then 5 nights at Aulani.

Not only would we, we changed 12 nights at Animal Kingdom over Marathon weekend to split stay Maui and Aulani!

Glad Hawaii doing the VID test requirements like Alaska has had for a while. We’ll be able to relax.

Florida Governor’s announcement last night making the state wide open for the VID makes us too nervous to go .... DW is RN in VID unit of a Hospital here and has seen and dealt with patient short and long term impacts of this virus first hand. No thank you.

Getting tested is very small price to pay for one’s peace of mind about one’s self and more importantly others Who will be vacationing around us.

Are you going to Maui first or Oahu? We have a Aulani and Maui split stay for Winter break and I thought I read somewhere that if you fly to Maui from Oahu that you need to quarantine regardless of Covid test?

Are you going to Maui first or Oahu? We have a Aulani and Maui split stay for Winter break and I thought I read somewhere that if you fly to Maui from Oahu that you need to quarantine regardless of Covid test?
YES, I saw that you cannot travel via inter-island as of yet without quarantine as well ....wonder if they will lift that at some point?
this was from an article posted Thursday:

An interisland pre-travel testing program could come online before we reopen to tourism.

In Governor David Ige's new emergency proclamation, he gives all four county mayors the power to adopt a negative test exception process for those traveling interisland.

Right now, anyone traveling within the state landing on any other island except O'ahu are subject to the mandatory 14-day quarantine.

This emergency order runs through October.

Yes! I would love to go to Aulani for our February trip, but the rest of our family already booked at Kidani. If they release a substantial DVC or AP discount for 2021 we may book for Thanksgiving or Christmas 2021.

I changed my trip to go to Kauai first and then Oahu second for this reason. As of now you can't do the opposite without quarantining for 14 days.

Even if they adopt a test exception for inter-island travel I don't want to bother with getting a second test in Oahu after getting one before I left already.

Maui then from Maui to Oahu.

Personally I don’t understand the logic behind the inter island quarantine issue (if you test negative for the VID within 72 hours upon arrival at any of the islands then that should be suffice to for your entire stay regardless if you stay at just the one island or island hop). Regardless I respect their right to be overly cautious regarding their beautiful state, it’s heritage, culture, etc..

FWIW. apparently you also have to have a negative test to travel inter-island. Many of the locals are complaining because they want to see relatives on other islands, but the pre-flight testing is cost prohibitive to them for inter-island flights. Maybe the governor will change this, but he has changed his mind on so many things, I wouldn't count on anything he says.

FWIW. apparently you also have to have a negative test to travel inter-island. Many of the locals are complaining because they want to see relatives on other islands, but the pre-flight testing is cost prohibitive to them for inter-island flights. Maybe the governor will change this, but he has changed his mind on so many things, I wouldn't count on anything he says.

Actually you can't test out of the inter-island quarantine at all- it's only for transpacific passengers. If you want to do more than one island your only choice would be Kauai/Maui/Big Island first and then to Oahu second because they are the only island not restricting arrivals.

It's not even clear that that situation is allowed really- i.e. will your QR code from your first island stop still be valid in Oahu...

I had debated booking for beginning of December but I'm concerned Hawaii will close back down again and/or some officials are pushing for a second test 4 days after landing. While I think the additional testing is a great idea, don't think Hawaii has testing capability to do this currently, I don't want to spend the first 4 days in quarantine. With only the one test 72 hrs prior there will be an increase in cases.

I had debated booking for beginning of December but I'm concerned Hawaii will close back down again
Hawaii has been even more conservative in their approach to reopening then New York City. New York City is looking to close down certain parts of the city again based on zip codes.

I really think it is a distinct possibility that Hawaii will close down again if there is even the slightest increase in cases once tourists arrive at the state.

I think late 2021 is the earliest I would assume that if I made plans I could be more then 95% sure that the state would be open when I arrived.

Hawaii has been even more conservative in their approach to reopening then New York City. New York City is looking to close down certain parts of the city again based on zip codes.

I really think it is a distinct possibility that Hawaii will close down again if there is even the slightest increase in cases once tourists arrive at the state.

I think late 2021 is the earliest I would assume that if I made plans I could be more then 95% sure that the state would be open when I arrived.

Totally agree with you and with only the one test right now their rates will increase. I will be sitting on my couch, here in MA, watching how it goes for those rolling the dice on traveling to Hawaii. For those interested there is a lot of good info on Hawaii trip advisor forums.

Well, as much as I know I would feel safer once in Hawaii due to the restrictions, mask and testing requirements, I found myself stressing out about the time, cost and consequence to being there in November before my points expired.

1) Non-stop flights were discontinued from my market route and flight schedule significantly reduced. I had to adjust my reservations to accommodate the new flight schedule, and some inter-island transit options were becoming reduced as well. (It was cheaper to fly to Maui then HNL, than just to HNL.) I started to get nervous about being stranded for a few days and have to scramble to find sudden lodging.
2) Because non-stop flights were discontinued, I was now spending about 4-6 hours on a flight with untested persons, then a few hours in the layover airport, then another 3-5 hours on a flight with tested persons. A test does not equate to negative result, however it implies a lesser risk and perhaps travelers might take more precautions because testing negative is a requirement to freely travel once in Hawaii. I got a little stressed out spending several hours in a plane to the layover city with general mainland/connecting passengers.
3) It seems testing (widely available to the general public) has not yet gotten to the sensitivity to clearly differentiate between infectious person and post-contagious viral shedding. I'm concerned that a test recognized as valid by Hawaii gov't would ultimately prevent travel even if I was not a danger to the public. (Of course, I recognize that we're still learning about reoccurrence of the virus within a previously infected person.)

I know I would love the island(s) during this interim time of reopening. I'm just so concerned about getting there safely and not losing funds or expiring points. I ended up cancelling my reservation because I was getting too stressed about the logistics. I'm so glad there are other families that are able to travel, contributing to the tourism/economy in a way that safely helps families who rely on that income.

We were supposed to go in September for my birthday, but had to cancel. We went to WDW instead. Wearing a mask for 10 hours a day in the Florida heat was utterly miserable. Our worst trip ever. We won't be back on Disney property until they lift all the restrictions, even if it takes many years. There are other places to visit that don't require masks.

We were supposed to go in September for my birthday, but had to cancel. We went to WDW instead. Wearing a mask for 10 hours a day in the Florida heat was utterly miserable. Our worst trip ever. We won't be back on Disney property until they lift all the restrictions, even if it takes many years. There are other places to visit that don't require masks.
Thanks for your honest review! We had considered cancelling and going to Disney in a few weeks. I, too, wanted to wait till no masks are required. Hoping the masks are not as bad in Hawaii though!

We were in WDW late August, and actually had a great time. Of course the masks were annoying, but we cut down our hours at the parks and spent more time poolside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter