POR v CBR for family of 5

ewasilau

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We are trying to plan a 6 or 7 night trip to WDW but find that the resorts are just so expensive for our dates (sometime in the July 29-Aug 8 window). There are no discounts available right now, and we couldn't book earlier because I just had my summer vacation approved a few days ago....

So, we are debating a few different things in order to avoid spending $400/night for 6-7 nights: (1) a split stay with somewhere completely off-site and cheap (which I'm apprehensive about because I like the 60-day FP+ window and we would lose the window for the off-site part) and spending 3-4 nights at a splurge, like Boardwalk or Beach Club, (2) staying at Dolphin, which has a nurse discount making it $211/night but also has massive fees that really bring up the rate, and we would be dependent on a roll-away for one kid or (3) staying at CBR or POR, which are the cheapest on-site places we can get for 5 people.

I would have loved to do a relatively inexpensive good-neighbor hotel, but they either don't accommodate 5 or are booked, as the ones that come up when I search are expensive.

Here is some background - our kids are getting older (16, 14 and 12) so cramming into a CBR or POR room will be tough, but I think the 12 year old can still fit on the pull down. He's 5 feet, but skinny. We LOVED staying at Yacht Club in May of 2018 because we loved the location (we got a good room rate though). We walked to Epcot, HS and all over our resort area. We like to park hop. We don't hang out in our room much at all, on any trip, in or out of WDW.

If we choose option #3, does anyone have experience as to whether POR or CBR rooms are more spacious? We stayed at POR seven years ago and the room was pretty cramped then. We liked the resort but not really the location. Is the new skyliner useful at CBR and does it make the scales tip in favor of that resort? Or is it hard to use?

Would love to hear any and all advice.

Thanks!

I would pick CBR because the Skyliner is a total game changer. A couple of extra square feet isn't going to make the room feel significantly less cramped and you said you don't spend much time in the room anyhow.
The Dolphin is going to hit you with an extra person fee because of the age of your kids so if price is your main criteria I think CBR is a no brainer.

Have you looked into renting DVC points? You can often times get a Deluxe for the same price as a moderate and it would give you a bit more space.

If I had to chosoe between your 2 options I'd also go with CBR for the Skyliner.

Like you I love the Yacht club and have only stayed there my last 4 trips to the world but with a stay of 6 or 7 nights I wouldn't advise a split stay with 3 kids. For price and convenience I would choose CBR also. The skyliner definitely puts CBR back in the game for resort choice!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm very interested in CBR, especially given the opinions here.
Have you looked into renting DVC points? You can often times get a Deluxe for the same price as a moderate and it would give you a bit more space.

If I had to chosoe between your 2 options I'd also go with CBR for the Skyliner.

I've never looked into renting DVC points and have to admit that I know nothing about it. I'm intrigued by the idea of a Deluxe, more for the locations of those resorts than for the space. Can you do this and link it to tickets and get FP+ 60 days out? Do you go through individuals? Any risk of scams? I guess I will do a little research on these boards, but am curious if you have any further thoughts.

I have 3 kids, 16, 12, 11. We usually take my mom and pay half her room and make her take 2 kids. But, if we weren't doing that I would consider getting 2 rooms at one of the All-Stars. We have stayed at POR and CBR with 5 in a room, but haven't done it since our oldest was 9. It's so crowded and we really need 2 bathrooms. I wouldn't want to give up the 60 fast pass window, so I would do 2 rooms at the cheapest resort on property.

If I were to book 2 rooms at a value it would be Pop. For moderate our fav was POR, but we’re staying at CBR this summer for Skyliner.

If you are thinking of off site I’d look at the Disney Springs Resort area. They have the same booking window as WDW resorts. While considered off site because they aren’t Disney owned, technically they’re still on Disney property close to Disney Springs.
They have their own bus service that runs continuously every 30 min.
Once we booked The Doubletree Suites with a good discount code from Mousesavers. We had a 1 bedroom that was very spacious with 2 queens in bedroom and a pull out sofa in the living room. With the Mousesavers promo we got free breakfast.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm very interested in CBR, especially given the opinions here.

I've never looked into renting DVC points and have to admit that I know nothing about it. I'm intrigued by the idea of a Deluxe, more for the locations of those resorts than for the space. Can you do this and link it to tickets and get FP+ 60 days out? Do you go through individuals? Any risk of scams? I guess I will do a little research on these boards, but am curious if you have any further thoughts.

You could go through a company to rent points to absorb the risk - the price per point would be higher though.

There's a rental area on the DVC boards. If you rent through an individual they should provide references and you'd have a contract. Price per point that way would be much cheaper.

You can link your reservation up just like anything else - it's essentially a "room only" reservation to the system. You can add the dining plan. You wouldn't get any other discounts applied.

Between POR & CBR, I'd go with CBR. The skyliner puts CBR way ahead now, and you'll likely get much use with the ages of your kids. You'll also be close to the food options at Riviera :D

Another vote for CBR. Larger rooms and I love the Spyglass Cafe. The skyliner is also grand! This may seem weird but IF you need extra shower/get ready space - you do know there are showers at the main pool?

So are the CBR rooms really bigger than POR? I cant' find any floor plans that support that.

We went to POR in feb with our three kids, 15,12, and 10. We absolutely loved it. I have all three girls so we’re used to being in close quarters and just made my husband change in the bathroom while we got ready in the main room. Yes, it is tight, but we didn’t spend much time in the room anyway. We just booked our next trip at CBR since we’ll just be doing one day at Epcot and the Skyliner won us over. Can’t go wrong either way.

So are the CBR rooms really bigger than POR? I cant' find any floor plans that support that.
Technically yes, but I've stayed at both and it's not enough that you can tell a difference. The one thing CBR has over POR is there are drawers next to the murphy bed.

Technically yes, but I've stayed at both and it's not enough that you can tell a difference. The one thing CBR has over POR is there are drawers next to the murphy bed.
The only floor plans I can find have them at 314 sq feet. So I don't know what I am missing here?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter