Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Could also be because other airlines have their flights open already so they need to open theirs early to compete with the other airlines.

Could also be because other airlines have their flights open already so they need to open theirs early to compete with the other airlines.
That seems highly unlikely - SW has never let other airlines schedules play into their release. I think the idea that they’re looking to generate some cash is the right assumption here.

I’m going to reschedule our April flights for October. Our April flights were booked partially with travel funds that would have expired this June. When I go to reschedule our flights, will I be able to apply the value of our flights to the new ones? Or will they tell me travel must be completed by June to use the value of our current flights? I’m thinking if I change/modify the flights rather than cancel/receive travel funds/rebook, then I could do it as I want to, but thought I’d ask the experts first. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if this would work. We are booked PVD-MCO April 18-24.(I booked both legs together) If I cancel, the travel funds will expire Oct 30. We are looking to reschedule around Thanksgiving. If I move my flights out to May or June just to hold my funds (booking a similar priced flight)- could I then move it to November? I don't know if the original flight needs to be completed by Oct 30th too. I'm sure this a crazy way to think and I just need to accept my loss and move on but just wanted to check with other SW flyers!

Can anyone tell me if this would work. We are booked PVD-MCO April 18-24.(I booked both legs together) If I cancel, the travel funds will expire Oct 30. We are looking to reschedule around Thanksgiving. If I move my flights out to May or June just to hold my funds (booking a similar priced flight)- could I then move it to November? I don't know if the original flight needs to be completed by Oct 30th too. I'm sure this a crazy way to think and I just need to accept my loss and move on but just wanted to check with other SW flyers!
Short answer is no. Your points expire on 10/30 regardless of interim bookings between now and then. All travel using those funds must be completed by the expiration date.

"Southwest travel funds expire one year from the date of purchase of the original flight."

I’m going to reschedule our April flights for October. Our April flights were booked partially with travel funds that would have expired this June. When I go to reschedule our flights, will I be able to apply the value of our flights to the new ones? Or will they tell me travel must be completed by June to use the value of our current flights? I’m thinking if I change/modify the flights rather than cancel/receive travel funds/rebook, then I could do it as I want to, but thought I’d ask the experts first. Thanks!

Nope, won’t work. Your entire credit expires in June. Once you mix new money with a travel fund, the entire amount takes on the expiration of the travel fund.

Nope, won’t work. Your entire credit expires in June. Once you mix new money with a travel fund, the entire amount takes on the expiration of the travel fund.
Thanks. I think this has been mentioned, but I spoke to a rep today who has said that on a case by case basis, they have been waiving the $100 extension fee, but I would need to wait for my travel funds to expire to request that. So just holding tight for now - uncharted territory for everyone involved!

Just want to make I understand SW's cancellation policy. I paid cash for tickets for April 20-25 back on October 30, 2019. If we need to cancel (which looks likely), I can only get credit for the tickets until October 29, 2020 and not April 19, 2021, correct? Unfortunately, N.E. school vacations in February and April are the only times we can really travel. I really don't want to eat the tickets . . .

Just want to make I understand SW's cancellation policy. I paid cash for tickets for April 20-25 back on October 30, 2019. If we need to cancel (which looks likely), I can only get credit for the tickets until October 29, 2020 and not April 19, 2021, correct? Unfortunately, N.E. school vacations in February and April are the only times we can really travel. I really don't want to eat the tickets . . .
You are correct, the credit expires on 10/29/20 meaning you would have to complete travel by then.
SWA does have an option to extend the expiration date for their travel funds after paying a $100 reinstatement fee. As a previous poster mentioned this request should be made once the credit has expired. There are also time limits on when the reinstated credits/voucher need to be used by. So, in the end it might be worth a call on 10/30/20 to see what your options are and if SWA has any flexibility based on the situations that resulted in the cancelled travel.

Thanks. I think this has been mentioned, but I spoke to a rep today who has said that on a case by case basis, they have been waiving the $100 extension fee, but I would need to wait for my travel funds to expire to request that. So just holding tight for now - uncharted territory for everyone involved!

Well, this does give me some hope. Some of our tickets were purchased PARTIALLY with travel funds (which we received when tickets that had been purchased with LUV vouchers decreased), which as we all know means the entire ticket becomes associated with the same expiration date as the travel funds. For us, that means May 20, 2020 for at least some of those tickets. I can't imagine we'll make it to Florida by then! :(

I would recommend that anyone finding they have to cancel, please keep track of your confirmation number, especially if you are not a Rapid Rewards member. We are living in unprecedented times and we really don't know what kind of changes, extensions, etc that SW may offer in the future. SW has proven time and time again that they are an airline who cares for their passengers.

So I have a trip planned 5/13-16 going on SWA where we used a bunch of travel funds that will expire 5/28... I also have a backup trip planned for August- do you think there may be a chance that they would waive the $100 reinstatement fee and let me move my credits to 8/29-9/2? I know it’s too early to call now (as I haven’t canceled my May trip yet) but was wondering if anyone else had some luck. Not even sure if August will be a possibility but I’d hate to lose all those travel funds!!

For those who have Southwest travel booked over the next month, or so, and want to change your flight to travel at a later time, open your reservation and select the "change option." If your reservation falls within a certain time frame, you will see the following message:
You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below.
DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
  • Departure airport must be: Xxxxxx, XX - XXX
  • Arrival airport must be: Xxxxx, XX - XXX
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

It appears that the system will allow you to postpone your travel date for up to two months, at no additional cost. This option reminds me of how Southwest has been allowing changes to travel dates, due to the MAX 8 issues, except, instead of having to select a new travel date within two weeks, either way, of your original date, they are allowing about two months. Normally, when this type of offer is available, the offer only is valid for a few days, after the offer is posted.

Just follow the prompts to select your new travel date and confirm the change. The departure and arrival cities must remain the same as the original itinerary.

For those who have Southwest travel booked over the next month, or so, and want to change your flight to travel at a later time, open your reservation and select the "change option." If your reservation falls within a certain time frame, you will see the following message:

It appears that the system will allow you to postpone your travel date for up to two months, at no additional cost. This option reminds me of how Southwest has been allowing changes to travel dates, due to the MAX 8 issues, except, instead of having to select a new travel date within two weeks, either way, of your original date, they are allowing about two months. Normally, when this type of offer is available, the offer only is valid for a few days, after the offer is posted.

Just follow the prompts to select your new travel date and confirm the change. The departure and arrival cities must remain the same as the original itinerary.
I see the option to change our flights. We’re scheduled 4/15-4/22. I followed the change procedure and my current flights are still available but $70 cheaper! Needless to say, I changed & banked $140 in travel funds. Question is, will the April schedule stay the same? I want to wait this out, see what Disney does. Common sense tells me they won’t be open for our dates. I did book backup for May 6-13 but haven’t bought plane tickets. If April falls through, hoping I can move flights to May trip.

I see the option to change our flights. We’re scheduled 4/15-4/22. I followed the change procedure and my current flights are still available but $70 cheaper! Needless to say, I changed & banked $140 in travel funds. Question is, will the April schedule stay the same? I want to wait this out, see what Disney does. Common sense tells me they won’t be open for our dates. I did book backup for May 6-13 but haven’t bought plane tickets. If April falls through, hoping I can move flights to May trip.

From Southwest - notice of about 20% of capacity to be cut from schedule, April 14-June 5:
The Company will soon reduce its published flight schedules, which will reduce available seat miles (ASMs, or capacity) by at least 20 percent for the time period April 14, 2020 through June 5, 2020. These flight schedule reductions are in addition to the Company's existing capacity impact due to the Boeing 737 MAX groundings. The Company continues to evaluate further flight schedule reductions.
We will begin making these revisions soon, so we do not have specific routes or market information to share. Some decisions are still being made. We’ll share more details as these decisions are made and finalized. The revisions will vary by day of week and region—some airports and regions will be more impacted than others. Customers who have already booked their travel and will be impacted by our amended schedule will be notified of their re-accommodated travel according to our flexible accommodation procedures.

From Southwest - notice of about 20% of capacity to be cut from schedule, April 14-June 5:
Thank you. I had read that somewhere so I was surprised that all flights were still there. Apparently the schedule changes haven’t been made yet. Looks like I’ll get an email.

Within a few hours of posting last week to ask about our boarding position, we were some of the many people who saw our entire vacation upended and cancelled. We are now considering going to Disneyland in June (if things are even normal by then). My question is this: can we book, cancel, and rebook as many times as we want using our travel funds (by the one-year expiration date of course)? Or are we only allowed to rebook once? I see a good set of flights for us but with all the uncertainty of everything right now I certainly don't know if early June will work out. If there are no limits on rebooking, are there any downsides to booking now for a trip that may not pan out?

Thanks so much for posting this! I would have totally missed it, and I have an April 4 flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter