Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

For those who have Southwest travel booked over the next month, or so, and want to change your flight to travel at a later time, open your reservation and select the "change option." If your reservation falls within a certain time frame, you will see the following message:

It appears that the system will allow you to postpone your travel date for up to two months, at no additional cost. This option reminds me of how Southwest has been allowing changes to travel dates, due to the MAX 8 issues, except, instead of having to select a new travel date within two weeks, either way, of your original date, they are allowing about two months. Normally, when this type of offer is available, the offer only is valid for a few days, after the offer is posted.

Just follow the prompts to select your new travel date and confirm the change. The departure and arrival cities must remain the same as the original itinerary.
I have the option for my April 25 flight, but not my return on May 2 (booked separately). Not sure what to do about that. Hmm

I have the option for my April 25 flight, but not my return on May 2 (booked separately). Not sure what to do about that. Hmm
Southwest probably will be making decisions regarding rebooking on a month-to-month basis, as nobody knows how this whole scenario will play out.

Last edited:
Keeping the hope alive, just booked some flights. I trust southwest will take care of us, if need be.

I wonder if using the new change option will allow you to use travel funds that have expired. I have flights in April that have the change option but the funds used to purchase those flights expire May 30th. I would like to move the flight to June but not sure if that would result in the flight being canceled.

I wonder if using the new change option will allow you to use travel funds that have expired. I have flights in April that have the change option but the funds used to purchase those flights expire May 30th. I would like to move the flight to June but not sure if that would result in the flight being canceled.
Open your reservation and start the change process; the system will display a message if you can change, at no additional cost. Change the date to your preferred date in June, and you will be able to see if it takes. I think it will work.

It will not change your reservation, until you confirm the change.

I caved. I cancelled our April 15-22 visit and moved it to May 6-13. Hoping that's not foolishly optimistic. I was easily able to change our SW flights via the change option, retaining EBCI purchase. We are flying round trip from Midway to Orlando for $90.00 each....have put $130 in travel funds which we'll use for our December trip, 2-9....travel funds expire December 10. Hoping against hope that the world is in a better place soon.

Still holding out hope for our late April trip to NYC but waiting to see if Broadway extends their blackout.

same here

I wouldn't hold my breath for extensions of travel funds beyond original expirations...but I'll hope with you!
I'm of the opposite mind set and will believe anything can happen after this. Southwest may gladly reduce your flight by an expired $15 travel credit you have tucked away if it means you book another flight with them. Every industry going will be hurting after this and trying to get business back.

I have flights booked separately for 5/13-16 and both were paid for significantly with travel funds that all expire on 5/28. I do have a back up trip planned for 8/29-9/2 and I’m hoping and hoping that if May is a no go that they will be so kind as to let me use my ticket balance plus the additional $40 in TF I have towards the August trip. In fact at this point if I knew they would I might go ahead and just move the trip to be safe... so much uncertainty!!

Last edited:
So the return flight we have booked from MCO on 6/6 is showing "unavailable". Normally I would think this is because it is booked up, but under the circumstances it may be one they are going to reduce and get rid of. Any advice on if I should go ahead and change to a different time before they change for me? I know no one knows for sure but all flights at that time are blocked out; Business, Anytime and WGA.

So the return flight we have booked from MCO on 6/6 is showing "unavailable". Normally I would think this is because it is booked up, but under the circumstances it may be one they are going to reduce and get rid of. Any advice on if I should go ahead and change to a different time before they change for me? I know no one knows for sure but all flights at that time are blocked out; Business, Anytime and WGA.
I've been stalking flights for a trip we're supposed to take in late April. My daughter's flights from NH will show the "unavailable" thing, but it seems to occur for other flights as well. It seems sporadic, like they are trying to fill flights more "evenly." I don't think that it's flights they are going to cancel, as the ones she's booked on are non-stops.

Obviously that is a guess.

SW needs to figure it out faster. My Travel Funds expire May 29th. When I called on Saturday to reschedule my flights, they made it VERY clear on the recorded message that they were NOT making any changes to expiration dates. After a 2 hour wait, I spoke to a very unpleasant woman, who was borderline rude when I tried to be polite and let her know that I hoped she was having a decent day despite the chaos (Ma'm let's just focus on the reservation in question)... anyway, after that experience, I just cancelled my flights and booked August flights with JetBlue instead.

I had to cancel a flight (WGA fare). Is there any limit to how many times I can rebook using my travel funds? It's not a one-time thing, is it? If I rebook now will there be any problems if I have to cancel again?

The only flights I see unavailable for my route are the weekend nonstops and the earliest flight of some days. These tend to be more expensive (in other words, most popular), so it could actually be as simple as the most popular flights are filling up. Obviously I don't actually know what's going on, but I personally would hold onto that flight on the assumption it is safe.

SW needs to figure it out faster.
Every. Single. Affected. Business. is doing its absolute best possible in this unprecedented situation. But it sounds like Southwest is under control.
After a 2 hour wait, I spoke to a very unpleasant woman, who was borderline rude when I tried to be polite and let her know that I hoped she was having a decent day despite the chaos (Ma'm let's just focus on the reservation in question)...
Respectfully, okay, you were on hold for two hours (being informed periodically that of the airline's standing policy). Meanwhile, that agent and others were trying to work with who knows how many customers each in those two (and preceding) hours. You don't have any idea how much stress they ebp depured, how many angry, emotional, even threatening custk.ers each dealt with, while at the same time trying to reduce that two hour hold time, probably under many management direction.

Today, Southwest extended the window for flight rebooking, without any change in fare. Customers who have confirmed reservations for travel during May and very early June may now delay their travel dates for up to 60 days, with no change in airfare from the flights they are changing.

If you would like to rebook, you may change your travel up to 60 days from your original flight date by visiting Southwest.com/rebook. Flights that have seats available will display as “Available.” Doing this online is your best option as call volumes are likely to be very high to reach a Southwest® Representative.

If you are unsure of your future travel plans, you do not need to take any action. Rest assured, the funds used to pay for this trip will be available for the Customer named on the ticket to use and fly for up to 12 months from the original date of purchase. Simply use your original confirmation number as the way to access these funds in the future—similar to “store credit” at most retail establishments.

Reminder - if you have used travel funds from previously-booked travel, your flight will inherit the date from the oldest travel funds used, with expiration date for use of funds based on that inherited date. So, your funds from cancelled flights may expire sooner than 12 months.

Last edited:
Every. Single. Affected. Business. is doing its absolute best possible in this unprecedented situation. But it sounds like Southwest is under control.

Respectfully, okay, you were on hold for two hours (being informed periodically that of the airline's standing policy). Meanwhile, that agent and others were trying to work with who knows how many customers each in those two (and preceding) hours. You don't have any idea how much stress they ebp depured, how many angry, emotional, even threatening custk.ers each dealt with, while at the same time trying to reduce that two hour hold time, probably under many management direction.

I also spent 2+ hours on hold with Disney and Universal - both of those agents were quite happy when I asked how they were doing and told them we appreciated their efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter