Probability of Cruise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's possible they will sail the Magic with a skeleton crew to get it across to Spain for the dry dock IF Spain is allowing non-essential workers to go to work. It's needed work and the dry dock slots are hard to come by, aren't they? Otherwise who knows. I doubt they will float the Magic around the Bahamas all Summer. They'll have a hard enough time keeping the Dream and Fantasy sailings full assuming they resume operations sometime in June/July. While some posters in this forum express a desire to sail if their trip doesn't get canceled, your average first-time cruiser might feel differently. New cruisers, especially those outside their final payment window, may be cancelling en masse no matter what Disney decides.

I would just wait and see what happens. A lot of people say they know what's going to happen, but they really don't. Everything's up in the air and things change quickly. If we peak in 2 weeks like the experts say we should be on the mend by June. What government officials decide to do is another story. As the economy continues to collapse they may change there mind about keeping everything closed for months. It also may turn out this virus isn't as deadly as first thought. There's a lotta unknowns.

I don't think the whole country is going to peak in 2 to 3 weeks like here in NY (what the experts expect). So, let's NY is on the mend the virus could take hold in other cities in the US causing a domino effect.

I don't think the whole country is going to peak in 2 to 3 weeks like here in NY (what the experts expect). So, let's NY is on the mend the virus could take hold in other cities in the US causing a domino effect.
I watch the task force press conference every day. The whole purpose of the 30 -day stop the spread is to prevent a peak like they have in NYC. If there are peaks in other states similar to NYC than this lockdown did not work. If you look at the graphs Washington and California have done a good job at leveling the curve.

I watch the task force press conference every day. The whole purpose of the 30 -day stop the spread is to prevent a peak like they have in NYC. If there are peaks in other states similar to NYC than this lockdown did not work. If you look at the graphs Washington and California have done a good job at leveling the curve.

I heard on the news today that they think Dallas, Washington, DC and I forget the other city they mentioned are to be the next hard hit areas. I think the lockdown is only supposed to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed not completely stop it from spreading. Some states are not on lockdown. Personally, I think it is still going to spread and get bad in other cities even when the Tri-State area is starting to reduce the cases.

I am actually shocked how well California is doing. I am very happy to see so few cases there.

MJ

I heard on the news today that they think Dallas, Washington, DC and I forget the other city they mentioned are to be the next hard hit areas. I think the lockdown is only supposed to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed not completely stop it from spreading. Some states are not on lockdown. Personally, I think it is still going to spread and get bad in other cities even when the Tri-State area is starting to reduce the cases.

I am actually shocked how well California is doing. I am very happy to see so few cases there.

MJ
Lockdown and having everything closed is basically the same thing. Where are you going to congregate when nothings open? We went on a stay at home order today and nothings really changed. I think it just gives authorities the ability to arrest people for congregating or having parties. I saw on the news today the police breaking up a one-year-olds birthday party in California. I'm not totally on board with that kind of overreach.

We destroyed the economy to level the curve so let's hope it works. I would hate to think it was all for nothing. I was against shutting everything down. I hope I was wrong and I hope it works.

Lockdown and having everything closed is basically the same thing. Where are you going to congregate when nothings open? We went on a stay at home order today and nothings really changed. I think it just gives authorities the ability to arrest people for congregating or having parties. I saw on the news today the police breaking up a one-year-olds birthday party in California. I'm not totally on board with that kind of overreach.

We destroyed the economy to level the curve so let's hope it works. I would hate to think it was all for nothing. I was against shutting everything down. I hope I was wrong and I hope it works.

Me too....I hope it works.

MJ

Dry dock is probably really low on the list of priorities for DCL. Although floating around in the Bahamas/FL Coast or sailing to Europe for their dry dock overhead would be similar. It would depend on what the dry dock is used for (critical maintenance or just interior upgrades).

I'm not sure it will be low as they have safety implications that mean they need to dry dock every few years and also the slots are booked years in advance. Both DCL and the shipyard are going to try and not loose money which is why I think if they can they will use this slot.

sorry It will be about two and a half years since the magic had a dry dock. The magic is old it has to be done. Even if dcl doesn’t want to get it done there is laws on how long a cruise ship can go without a dry dock.

Yep. I don't think its every 3 years but its pretty close and slots fill up in advance so I feel they will try and stick to schedule if at all possible.

I think it's possible they will sail the Magic with a skeleton crew to get it across to Spain for the dry dock IF Spain is allowing non-essential workers to go to work. It's needed work and the dry dock slots are hard to come by, aren't they? Otherwise who knows. I doubt they will float the Magic around the Bahamas all Summer. They'll have a hard enough time keeping the Dream and Fantasy sailings full assuming they resume operations sometime in June/July. While some posters in this forum express a desire to sail if their trip doesn't get canceled, your average first-time cruiser might feel differently. New cruisers, especially those outside their final payment window, may be cancelling en masse no matter what Disney decides.

Slots are definitely not easy to come by but then I guess it all depends how they are coping with all of this. There will be months of dry docks that haven't gone ahead so they may need to think about how to deal with them I suppose and might reduce some dry docks to just the essential stuff possibly so no added extras? Who knows. I guess only time will tell on this one but agree I think there will be a lot of cancellations (and has been) based on the concern everyone is feeling.

It depends also on if dry dock employees are considered essential, if they are working.

No point getting over if there won't be work done.

A friend went to Europe with a teenage travel group last month. Even tho they were able to travel, most of the museums were closed. I have no desire to go that far before there's a vaccine available. Too much risk of not being able to get home, and/or being quarantined in a floating petri dish.

If we are on lockdown till sept we are gonna have far bigger issues than this virus.

This is exactly what I keep saying! The country wont survive 6 month lock down. Most businesses will close, most people will loose their jobs and most of us will be stir crazy at which point I wont care about a cruise and will have forgotten I exist :D This situation isn't sustainable and will only last as long as absolutely nessecary I get that but I don't think in 6 months time if we still have these restrictions in place the country will survive.

How is overreach to shut down a party? Many of the worst "super-spreading" events in this country have been private, home based parties, which makes sense--if you (symptomatic or not) have been shedding the virus on surfaces, it'll be all over your home, whereas if you go out in public you won't touch as many surfaces as you do in your house.

A friend went to Europe with a teenage travel group last month. Even tho they were able to travel, most of the museums were closed. I have no desire to go that far before there's a vaccine available. Too much risk of not being able to get home, and/or being quarantined in a floating petri dish.
That's my thought....just because you CAN go, doesn't mean there will be things to do when you get there.

How is overreach to shut down a party? Many of the worst "super-spreading" events in this country have been private, home based parties, which makes sense--if you (symptomatic or not) have been shedding the virus on surfaces, it'll be all over your home, whereas if you go out in public you won't touch as many surfaces as you do in your house.
I guess you’d have to see the video

I'm doubtful any cruises will occuring this summer just based on the news reports. Even you're able to cruise, some ports will refuse disembarkation. I'm planning to cruise in Spring 2021 and hoping things will be back to normal by then.

Same here. I hope cooler heads prevail after America's done with its self-imposed two months of isolation. The economy damaged, children deprived of months of learning and the socialization they need to develop properly, civil liberties tossed aside like candy wrappers...All due to attempts to slow down a virus, which does no permanant harm to the large majority of people who contract it.

I have a chronic illness, as does my son. I've also had other serious hardships in life. But never would I have expected or even wanted the entire rest of the world to stop spinning because of our challenges. Instead we've adapted and dealt with life the best we can. Likewise, those at highest risk of bad reactions to this virus should isolate, with government and social supports, until a vaccine or herd immunity is reached within 2 years or so. But the rest of the world shouldn't have to do it, too. People have the right to live their lives. Every one of us has that right.

I now feel quite insecure about the future. Every time a novel virus spreads, are we going to lose all of our freedoms and economic security again?

Last edited:
We are currently booked on the June 17th Mediterranean cruise...does anyone think there are any better odds of cruising if we change to the July 25th Northern European itinerary??
I think I know the answer, I’m just grasping for glimmers of hope at this point 😢
CDC said ships closed for 100 more days and you will have problems coming back into the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter