Purchasing FW Cabins DVC

What are your purchase plans for the Fort Wilderness DVC cabins?

• I have already purchased points for the cabins

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I will purchase points later on and/or if they get a better incentive

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • I have no interest in purchasing points for the cabins

Votes: 172 72.3%
  • I’m waiting to purchase Poly 2 instead

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have enough DVC points and don’t intend to add on ever again

Votes: 27 11.3%
  • Waiting to purchase on the resale market down the road

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Other - tell us your plan

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Only if the dues weren’t so high

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters
I get what you are saying, but that’s why I asked in the poll format so that anyone could put that they purchased and it would be anonymous unless they decided to comment about it in a post here. It’s interesting to me that even though we have over a 100 DIS members who have participated we are still at 0 for anyone having purchased FWC.

I’m a happy RIV owner too 😉
Ah I didn’t realize it’s an anonymous poll. Maybe others didn’t either? Or more likely, it really is that so few people have purchased. It will be a very telling sales report.

Hard pass for us due to several reasons, many of which have been mentioned throughout this thread. One reason I haven't yet seen is that there's no separate booking category for non-pet rooms. All for having dog lovers being able to enjoy bringing their dogs, but would've been nice if they kept some cabins separate.

Did you know you can cook bacon on those grills?!!? And then like 'magic' the next day the grill is clean and ready for more!!! <mind blown>

Yep, get out your checkbooks and credit cards! Let's all buy some CFW points!!!
I didn’t have that magic last time I grilled at the treehouses, so maybe it’s worth buying CFW 😊

I will be buying. Just didn’t feel urgency to do it on day one. Will get to it when I have a bit of time. Not embarrassed. Everybody has decisions about how they spend their money. Folks may not understand my reasons but I guarantee that each one one this board spends money on something I wouldn’t think is smart. To each their own.

Well, I figured I would post here. I guess I get to break the seal on the poll. While we haven't signed anything we likely will be and have started laying the path out to do so with our Guide.

Hear me out...

I currently only have 2 smaller resale contracts. No blue card. Yeah, blue card isn't the thing it used to be (or so it seems) but, the mental desire still is pushing me a bit.

My college age adult children, and wife, grew up camping, a LOT. My kids still go trailer camping with their Grandmother every year, multiple times a year. So it's a perfect blend of their childhood (and adulthood), plus their, and our, love for Disney. We are relatively young, but 50 years will likely mean we're on our way out of the living world, and the kids already, emphatically said they would like to continue going with their future children. We also plan on leaving them some funds for dues, but they should well be into their prime earning years before it's an actual worry for them.

I keep doing the math, and cannot help but think that Disney is shifting it's strategy. Lower points per stay, higher dues. It is symantics in the total cost anyway. 4 days in September cash, vs 4 days points at 16.16pp and the math is almost spot on to 50% of the cost vs cash.

I don't view the lack of amenaties as a deficit. What is really missing? Pools, check. Laundry, check. Dining, check. Multiple transportation options, check. a gym? OK, but there is PLENTY of running space, and since we have now become runDisney addicts, this is a plus for me. If I am overlooking something, absolutely fill me in.

One of our favorite resorts to sleep in (not necessarily stay at) is still OKW, but this is because of the parking at the unit, and a short walk to get to bed at night. This amplifies it to an almost absurd extreme. A huge positive, especially after a runDisney event.

We also aren't very peopley, so having some space between us and the next people is a perk. For now, it's only 2 of us, and we prefer to cook rather than eat out all of the time, so a stove and real fridge is a big deal for savings to us.

So, this all pushes us to lean towards purchasing. Our CCV and AKV contracts will remain cheaper, but we really feel this isn't as bad as our knee jerk reaction made us think. I actually told my guide I was at less than 1% for purchasing these, and now am closer to 99%.

Last edited:
Well, I figured I would post here. I guess I get to break the seal on the poll. While we haven't signed anything we likely will be and have started laying the path out to do so with our Guide.

Hear me out...

I currently only have 2 smaller resale contracts. No blue card. Yeah, blue card isn't the thing it used to be (or so it seems) but, the mental desire still is pushing me a bit.

My college age adult children, and wife, grew up camping, a LOT. My kids still go trailer camping with their Grandmother every year, multiple times a year. So it's a perfect blend of their childhood (and adulthood), plus their, and our, love for Disney. We are relatively young, but 50 years will likely mean we're on our way out of the living world, and the kids already, emphatically said they would like to continue going with their future children. We also plan on leaving them some funds for dues, but they should well be into their prime earning years before it's an actual worry for them.

I keep doing the math, and cannot help but think that Disney is shifting it's strategy. Lower points per stay, higher dues. It is symantics in the total cost anyway. 4 days in September cash, vs 4 days points at 16.16pp and the math is almost spot on to 50% of the cost vs cash.

I don't view the lack of amenaties as a deficit. What is really missing? Pools, check. Laundry, check. Dining, check. Multiple transportation options, check. a gym? OK, but there is PLENTY of running space, and since we have now become runDisney addicts, this is a plus for me. If I am overlooking something, absolutely fill me in.

One of our favorite resorts to sleep in (not necessarily stay at) is still OKW, but this is because of the parking at the unit, and a short walk to get to bed at night. This amplifies it to an almost absurd extreme. A huge positive, especially after a runDisney event.

We also aren't very peopley, so having some space between us and the next people is a perk. For now, it's only 2 of us, and we prefer to cook rather than eat out all of the time, so a stove and real fridge is a big deal for savings to us.

So, this all pushes us to lean towards purchasing. Our CCV and AKV contracts will remain cheaper, but we really feel this isn't as bad as our knee jerk reaction made us think. I actually told my guide I was at less than 1% for purchasing these, and now am closer to 99%.
I think you have laid out good reasons why purchasing CFW works for you. Just make sure to break up the contracts into smaller point chunks if your plan is to leave them to the kids so they each have their own.

I think you have laid out good reasons why purchasing CFW works for you. Just make sure to break up the contracts into smaller point chunks if your plan is to leave them to the kids so they each have their own.

Absolutely, we are going to go with 160 total, and split into 80 each. Each year our planned stays seem to float between 155-165, so banking and borrowing will work out over time.

Absolutely, we are going to go with 160 total, and split into 80 each. Each year our planned stays seem to float between 155-165, so banking and borrowing will work out over time.
All great stuff! I'm sure you will enjoy making new memories 😄

Regarding your legacy... If I read things correctly, you were planning each kid gets one of the resale and an 80 split the CFW (not sharing)?...if so, I think they will lose blue card status when this happens if that matters. Great call leaving funds for the dues.

Good luck, have fun!

I never looked into resale restrictions on death. Anybody know how riviera works? Is it still unrestricted on a death transfer?

When the point charts were announced, I gave some quasi-serious thought to buying in and maybe even a Fixed Week for Halloweeen, but the price point and serious lack of any exciting incentives changed my mind totally. Too many challenges (lack of transportation, resale restrictions, no washer/dryer etc.). It was fun to consider it, but I'm shifting back to my original plan which is to look at Poly when it comes back on sale - BUT if Poly really is to be part of the original association, the incentives will need to be GOOD - I already own Poly resale so no need to fork out the crazy buy-in dollars just for a Blue Card. As for the Cabins - I hope those who buy really love them. I think they will be fun to stay in:)

I never looked into resale restrictions on death. Anybody know how riviera works? Is it still unrestricted on a death transfer?
If it’s a gratuitous transfer where no money changes hands it will retain all of the same benefits the original owner had. We are now members since 1995 (I was 15) because we have inherited an OKW contract from my in laws.

Just be aware that you must keep ownership of both those contracts to stay eligible for the membership extras.

If you were to ever sell one, you’d drop below the minimum and lose that status. If the minimum was above 150, you’d need now need to meet that instead.

Other than that, congratulations!

I now have 100 fancy points at Grand Floridian and 50 glampy points at CFW. I will probably use my fancy points to stay at CFW most of the time 🤣 My family has been staying at the cabins for 3 generations.
Congrats! When you purchased were you told anything different about your contract this time in comparison to when you bought VGF? Or are they treating the two the exact same for all intents and purposes? No word on extra resorts joining or anything about future trust points or anything?

Congrats! When you purchased were you told anything different about your contract this time in comparison to when you bought VGF? Or are they treating the two the exact same for all intents and purposes? No word on extra resorts joining or anything about future trust points or
The buying process felt the same. I knew about the difference ahead of time because of the research I did on various boards/blogs so I didn’t really ask a bunch of questions on that. My guide, Ricardo, is cool, he doesn’t pressure me at all and I don’t feel like they are trying to be tricky or anything. It is all obvious in the paperwork. I don’t think the guides know yet if there will be future resorts in the trust, etc.

Just be aware that you must keep ownership of both those contracts to stay eligible for the membership extras.

If you were to ever sell one, you’d drop below the minimum and lose that status. If the minimum was above 150, you’d need now need to meet that instead.

Other than that, congratulations!

I know people have said this, and then ate their words, but we truly have no plans of selling them. If financial issues came up, we would likely sell our resale CCV and AKV first to avoid losing 7 month ability at every resort.

As far as I know, it's excluded from restrictions since it isn't a sale, but a cashless transfer of ownership.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter