Pure thoughts?

Oatmeal! :teeth:

(Well, people often call it granola. Sure, many commercial granolas contain all kinds of things you won't be able to eat, but, you can make your own really easily.)

I'll look up how to Make it.
Anything in the cereal Isle that you know of?
Kashi?

I'm not sure how well agave syrup will toast..but I make a batch of granola every week for James.

I use 4 cups of oatmeal
3/4 cup to a whole cup of nuts or seeds
a dash of salt (can be omitted)
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
You can add some ground flax seed, cinnamon..you get the idea..play with it.
I also add brown sugar and honey....you'll have to eyeball the amount of agave syrup to use- you don't want the mixture too wet.
and finally 2 tbls of oil...
Put all this in a large bowl and toss to coat.
spead out onto a rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees. Usually about 40 minutes until dry. You'll want to stir this well every 10 minutes or so to ensure even browning. When it's done allow to air cool. You can add dried fruit at this point if you want too.
store in an airtight ziplock or tupperware

Granola can also be sweetened with dried fruits (dates are a standard granola sweetener that we don't see often in other places, but, a variety of dried fruits tastes good too), so, if the agave syrup doesn't work so well you can just use fruit.

I'm not sure how well agave syrup will toast..but I make a batch of granola every week for James.

I use 4 cups of oatmeal
3/4 cup to a whole cup of nuts or seeds
a dash of salt (can be omitted)
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
You can add some ground flax seed, cinnamon..you get the idea..play with it.
I also add brown sugar and honey....you'll have to eyeball the amount of agave syrup to use- you don't want the mixture too wet.
and finally 2 tbls of oil...
Put all this in a large bowl and toss to coat.
spead out onto a rimmed cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees. Usually about 40 minutes until dry. You'll want to stir this well every 10 minutes or so to ensure even browning. When it's done allow to air cool. You can add dried fruit at this point if you want too.
store in an airtight ziplock or tupperware

I'm going to ask the provable dumb question here-
dry oat meal - not cooked?
I can use the Steel cut kind?

I'm going to ask the provable dumb question here-
dry oat meal - not cooked?
I can use the Steel cut kind?

Uncooked oatmeal. I use old fashioned..I don't see why you couldn't use the Steel cut kind. If you want you can halve the recipe and see how that turns out...

Uncooked oatmeal. I use old fashioned..I don't see why you couldn't use the Steel cut kind. If you want you can halve the recipe and see how that turns out...

Thanks.
Will do.

Steel cut oats will give you a slightly nuttier richer tasting granola. Quick cooking oats will give you clumpier granola. I've been known to mix varieties of oats to create textural variety.

Anything in the cereal Isle that you know of?
Kashi?

I'm pretty sure Kashi has wheat in it.

We used to eat puffed rice and puffed corn when I was a kid. I'm not much of a cereal aisle person though so I couldn't tell you who's making it these days. But, I suspect that if you go somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's they'll have something.

I'm pretty sure Kashi has wheat in it.

We used to eat puffed rice and puffed corn when I was a kid. I'm not much of a cereal aisle person though so I couldn't tell you who's making it these days. But, I suspect that if you go somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's they'll have something.

enviro kids, gorilla munch......my kids eat it :)

OMG Soy sauce is out!
Tamari is made with more soybeans than ordinary soy sauce, resulting in a smoother, more balanced, and complex flavor. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the manufacturing of soy sauce developed from a household art to a commercial industry. To increase production, the thick, whole soybean mixture was replaced with a mixture of half wheat and half soybean. The new liquid resulting from fermentation became known as Shoyu, the common type of soy sauce used today.

It's amazing the stuff they sneak gluten into! :sad2:

So Wally? How's it going? More importantly: How are you going? Anything backing up? Loosening up? :rolleyes1

OMG Soy sauce is out!
Tamari is made with more soybeans than ordinary soy sauce, resulting in a smoother, more balanced, and complex flavor. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the manufacturing of soy sauce developed from a household art to a commercial industry. To increase production, the thick, whole soybean mixture was replaced with a mixture of half wheat and half soybean. The new liquid resulting from fermentation became known as Shoyu, the common type of soy sauce used today.

It's amazing the stuff they sneak gluten into! :sad2:

Sorry, I wouldn't have figured it was really sneaking wheat into it given that most soy sauces are a mixture of soy and wheat definitionally.

But, your quote is about tamari. True tamari doesn't contain wheat and you should be able to find some wheat-free tamari if you look around. However, fair warning, tamari is much stronger than shoyu or chinese soy sauces and has a different flavour. Use less than you are used to and add water. You'll need to experiment to get the right combination for yourself.

Sorry, I wouldn't have figured it was really sneaking wheat into it given that most soy sauces are a mixture of soy and wheat definitionally.

But, your quote is about tamari. True tamari doesn't contain wheat and you should be able to find some wheat-free tamari if you look around. However, fair warning, tamari is much stronger than shoyu or chinese soy sauces and has a different flavour. Use less than you are used to and add water. You'll need to experiment to get the right combination for yourself.

Yeah - that's why I posted it - Tamari - seems to be the way to go.
I never really knew SOYsause had wheat.
It just amazes me where they sneak it in.
Remember I just started this "read the labels" Diet.

wally did you start yet, or are you waiting til after the weekend?
i am already freaking out about no caffeine and sugar........lol:rotfl:

wally did you start yet, or are you waiting til after the weekend?
i am already freaking out about no caffeine and sugar........lol:rotfl:

Staring on Tuesday after this long weekend-
Getting all the alt food together this week-

I hear if you can get though the first 3 or 4 days
of 0 caffeine you're fine.

You do know you can have decaffe on this ...
life altering state of higher consciousness :laughing: we are about to embark on.

I am so sorry for this, but I keep seeing this come up and I sit here thinking " Pure Thought" really? do we have any on this board? :rotfl2:

So I must say the title is soooooooo misleading! :laughing:

As for what it is really about, we eat very peculiar in our home. We try to do all local, fresh and whole.(My favorite thing is figuring out what to make for dinner from my garden!) Well expect maybe the alcohol (except beer) but that might change soon as we just got PA's first Vodka plant!!

I am so sorry for this, but I keep seeing this come up and I sit here thinking " Pure Thought" really? do we have any on this board? :rotfl2:

So I must say the title is soooooooo misleading! :laughing:

As for what it is really about, we eat very peculiar in our home. We try to do all local, fresh and whole.(My favorite thing is figuring out what to make for dinner from my garden!) Well expect maybe the alcohol (except beer) but that might change soon as we just got PA's first Vodka plant!!

Now you've seen me around here - I'm nothing it not PURE!
angel.png

So what are you going on about MISSY?:snooty:

When the subject of Wally comes up around our dinner table (and it would astound you how often that is)-the first thing everyone says is...St. Wally...Snow White Wally....Pure Wally....

So, yeah, I have no idea what PghLybrt is talking about either!

Wow !!! sorry :worship: I must have slipped into some alternate universe and came back all confused......maybe some more beer will help me think straight.....wait straight? hmmmmmmm now I am soooooo confused!! :rotfl:

( Don't worry I am drinking Jines Root Beer at work )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter