• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

@NYCgrrl, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Big :hug:.

@Snowysmom, prayers for Jasper.

@Breezy_Carol, Happy (belated) Anniversary!

@Kirby, congrats on your son's engagement!

If I may throw in my sad news...over the weekend we'd heard from my aunt that she felt VERY good and her CA-125 number was way down. She'd been told that she'd need one chemo every 3 weeks for the rest of her life, which isn't ideal, but not terrible. Well...they called last evening to let us know that her cancer has metastasized to her liver. And of course there's nothing to be done except chemo, which will only "give her more time." There had better be a Heaven and an afterlife, because it's really unfair for her and my uncle to have spent the majority of their lives apart and only get 4 years back together.

I guess on a brighter note, my uncle with severe COPD - on oxygen all the time, and he actually died on the operating table when he had shoulder surgery several years ago (yes, flatlined for several minutes, had a tech sitting on him doing the chest compressions, all that) - has made an effort to try to get better; he's able to do 15 minutes on the treadmill and has lost a LOT of weight. It's good to hear.

Yesterday was another frustrating day of completely at-home teaching, but we got the assignments done. It took 5 1/2 hours. I was finally able to find the results of those assessments that the kids did in September, after only 3 weeks of school, and a table that interprets their scores. Josh got 363 in math and 380 in reading, which puts him at 83rd and 88th percentiles. That makes me very happy - and surprised. And I will no longer accept "I can't do it!" when trying to get him to do his work. Clearly he can.

He helped his grandma fill little dollar store treat bags with Halloween treats in the afternoon. We're still not sure how this is going to work. Hardly anyone on Next Door posted to that thread about if they'll be open or not, so we'll go out and just visit homes with their lights on. DH has decided to wear his authentic Magnum PI replica Hawaiian shirt. He was going to shave his beard, leaving just his mustache, but he has to wear a mask anyway. So I told him to wear the paper mask and I'll draw a mustache on it ;) (Seriously, I'm going to do it!)

Listed in our newspaper for activities, I see that a park in a neighboring town is doing a drive-through Halloween set-up with lights, blow-ups, etc. We will be just down the road tonight at gymnastics, so I think we're going to stop on the way home after class. Josh will enjoy it.

Snow is predicted for tomorrow morning. 1-4". What a coincidence that it was the same day 9 years ago that we had that terrible snow and ice storm that knocked out our power for 4 1/2 days...

@apirateslifeforme Wasn't sure whether to post a like, a sad face, or a smile on your post!
So sorry to hear the news about your Aunt. She was doing so well. That's very sad
Happy to hear about your Uncle getting better. That is great that he is now able to do the treadmill and has lost weight! More power to him to keep on going!
I feel sorry for parents, kids, and teachers..virtual/in class learning has to be so different and difficult this year. WTG to Josh's scores! You are doing a great job with him!
We don't have trick or treating here, so that's one thing I don't have to worry about. Stopping on the drive through Halloween set up after his gymnastics sounds like it would be fun!
Keep your snow, we don't need it or want it. We had dumping down rain since 4 am, it's tapered off a little. Hopefully we won't get the 1-2" they said we would. We did have a snowstorm a few years ago on Halloween, I remember my Sister in Law and family lost their power and didn't get it back for 2 days! Stay safe!

Great to "see" you Kirby! Much congratulations to your son! Prayers for your Mom.

Lynxstch, I sure pray Lily gets some answers today!

So sorry about your Aunt, apirateslifeforme :(

Many, many prayers to all and a hug, too. As Luckyrabbit said, love truly is a precious gift we are given in this life along with the ability to share/spread it. Sincerely and always I thank each of you for doing so in the world, within your families, and right here :)

Happy Thursday everyone!

@NYCgrrl What a lovely picture of you and the man. You can see the love and caring. Prayers said for all.

@apirateslifeforme So sorry about your aunt. It seems like 2020 just won't quit. Sending prayers.

Jasper now has lung issues, pneumonia or something else in addition to the liver enzyme issue. He developed a juicy cough overnight and has a slight fever. They upped his antibiotics. The radiologists need to look at the chest x-ray to give their opinion. The vet said he is resting comfortably and is otherwise stable. I have no idea where this is going to go but I suspect we will need to make the decision sooner rather than later. These furbabies just grab our hearts and it is heart wrenching to let them go. He came along just as our younger son moved out. Now we will truly have an empty nest.

If I may throw in my sad news.
Ugh, that sucks, I'm so sorry. How nice your Mother got to spend time with her recently. I can't imagine, especially this year. It seems some folks are just getting piled on, as if the truck of crap that is 2020 just is backing right up to them. It's not fair.

These furbabies just grab our hearts and it is heart wrenching to let them go.
So right, and I'm sorry about this impending decision. We lost our Dane Dutch to heart failure in a matter of about 90 minutes. As in he was fine and healthy and 90 minutes later his heart was failing and he was to far gone to save. That was about 4 years ago....we have his urn in the bottom of my closet, along with his brother. We've been saying for years we will put them in our little cemetery on the farm but even now, almost 4 & 5 years later the thought of pulling that box out of the closet containing their urns and favorite toys & blanket just reduces me to mush and I can't do it. Stupid and silly, I know. Dumb dogs, always stealing our hearts.

@Pea-n-Me , I have given many an unplanned dog bath due to their stinky activities.
It’s funny because I had German Shepherds all my life and I don’t recall that ever happening before. I mean, sure, they stepped in poop, got sprayed by skunks, got wet in muddy water and such, but it’s only since we got the terrier that we’ve experienced a dog actually rolling in poop! :lmao:

@Snowysmom --sorry to hear Jasper isn't doing any better. Hope they find something that can help him, before you have to make that sad decision. I've been there and done that way too many times, and it doesn't get easier.

@easyas123 it's not just dumb dogs that steal our hearts, I only have cat furbaby's, and they steal my heart everytime, and when I lose one, it hurts so much

But we as pet parents, know when it's time. We don't want to see them suffer needlessly , we want them to be at peace and not hurting. I hope Jasper makes it through, but if not, he will have plenty of company on the Rainbow Bridge to keep him company :grouphug:

Thanks everyone for the support. If we have to make that decision I know he has many other family doggies waiting to play with him. My matriarch poodle who went on decades before will be a good doggie mom for him too. I don't think we will be looking into getting another dog at least not any time soon. We travel and I don't want to have to put a dog in a kennel again. We had a good kennel for Jasper where he was the week before last but I think they have gone down hill a bit over the past year. If we ever get another dog after Jasper (unlikely though) it won't be until we retire and don't travel as much. We will visit with our 2 grand dogs for now. Thanks again. :hug:

Hug to you as well, Easyas123, how heartbreaking and reminds me a little of what happened with my Champ so many years ago now. He had a bad Friday night, constantly drinking water and then being sick from it. We took him to the vet (a vet I never liked and looking back wish we had chosen another vet) who promised Champ would be fine in a few more days. He prescribed a very expensive medication and we took Champ home. We never opened the medication because a few hours later poor Champ (we think) had a stroke and died instantly. IIRC, the vet would not even refund the cost of the unopened medication! I also absolutely know my beloved Champ is at peace restored in health and with my grandparents and other doggie pals in Heaven thanks to God. I absolutely 21 years later still miss him!

Extra hug, Snowysmom.

To all with furbabies, thank you for your care of them. Time with them like a human family member or friend is precious indeed!

Last edited:
Ugh, that sucks, I'm so sorry. How nice your Mother got to spend time with her recently. I can't imagine, especially this year. It seems some folks are just getting piled on, as if the truck of crap that is 2020 just is backing right up to them. It's not fair.

So right, and I'm sorry about this impending decision. We lost our Dane Dutch to heart failure in a matter of about 90 minutes. As in he was fine and healthy and 90 minutes later his heart was failing and he was to far gone to save. That was about 4 years ago....we have his urn in the bottom of my closet, along with his brother. We've been saying for years we will put them in our little cemetery on the farm but even now, almost 4 & 5 years later the thought of pulling that box out of the closet containing their urns and favorite toys & blanket just reduces me to mush and I can't do it. Stupid and silly, I know. Dumb dogs, always stealing our hearts.
Aww. I have my last Shepherd’s ashes in my bedroom with a small German Shepherd stuffed animal laying on top of the box. I haven’t had the heart to put her ashes in our memorial garden yet, where three of our other dogs ashes were scattered. Some day I will. I still can‘t think of her without tearing up. She died at home unexpectedly, as well. I was just telling that story to someone today whose family woke up to find their dog gone a few days ago. They are family members, and it’s so hard when we lose them or know we have to part with them. I actually had to put one of my Shepherds to sleep unexpectedly on the same day I started losing my hair from chemo. Not a good day, and that actually traumatized me in some ways. When I got outside I sobbed for hours, I think everything came out that I’d been holding in trying to be strong. She was my baby, too. I do believe in a Doggie Heaven and that we’ll see them again some day, and I look forward to that day. I had a patient who died on the table once who told me in all sincerity when he was gone he saw his mother and sister and one of them was holding his pet. I forget what type of pet it was but I think a cat. And I’ve read so many other stories about near death experience where pets were a part of the picture. It doesn’t make it easier in the moment, but it does give us something to look forward to when our times do come. Besides our human loved ones, of course. :teeth:

He helped his grandma fill little dollar store treat bags with Halloween treats in the afternoon. We're still not sure how this is going to work. Hardly anyone on Next Door posted to that thread about if they'll be open or not, so we'll go out and just visit homes with their lights on. DH has decided to wear his authentic Magnum PI replica Hawaiian shirt. He was going to shave his beard, leaving just his mustache, but he has to wear a mask anyway. So I told him to wear the paper mask and I'll draw a mustache on it ;) (Seriously, I'm going to do it!)

Listed in our newspaper for activities, I see that a park in a neighboring town is doing a drive-through Halloween set-up with lights, blow-ups, etc. We will be just down the road tonight at gymnastics, so I think we're going to stop on the way home after class. Josh will enjoy it.

I made up my candy cups today as well. Not as fancy as some years, but I put in extra candy, so I think whatever kids I do get will be happy. The drive-through thing sounds fun!

Hugs to you on the news of your aunt, and to everyone worrying about or missing pets. :hug:

Last edited:
Today was sooooo windy here. Porch furniture was blowing around. But it did get up to 80 degrees and no rain.

We went out to a coffee shop for breakfast then took a 3 mile walk on the beach. After lunch we took a drive up to Corolla. It was a pleasant day. Getting ready to fix spaghetti for dinner.

So while we are telling dog death stories, I’ll share. When each of our four shelters dies, we had them cremated then buried in the back yard and planted a tree over them. One large maple, and three dod woods. Raleigh, one of our goldens, died in 2016. It was sudden; he went out back for his morning visit and died in 2 minutes. I assume a heart attack. We we had him cremated and were saving him for when Grace, his bonded partner, passed. She died in January but we have yet decided where to place their cremains. Still really missing Grace because now we are dog-less. Not sure if we want another as we are getting older.

Lily didn't have her Drs appt today. The Health Dept called stepdaughter and said Lily had to quarantine, as one of the girls on her volleyball team tested for Covid. Since she hasn't been around them for the past week, they counted that as part of the 14 days. She has to stay home from school until Friday the 6'th. I don't know what will happen if WVU calls with a sooner date for the EEG and MRI. It's just one thing after the other!
Have a nice nite everyone, the rain has finally stopped here.

Good Friday morning all--last Friday in October. When I was a kid , tonite would be called "cabbage night'. Kids would go around throwing cabbages, eggs, TP'ing trees and houses. I don't think that exists anymore? Going to be a tad chilly all day, only 51, going to hit the freezing mark tonite :(
Everything is still wet out from yesterdays rain, so I won't to do much outdoors today. 2 more rooms to 'fall' clean, so maybe I'll work on one of those, maybe not, lol
They have now closed schools in the city in WV where Lily and family live, yet again. 2 more positive cases in 2 days..did they not think this would happen upon reopening schools? The local college there has also stopped all in person classes and gone back to virtual, for at least week. I don't understand that, do they think a week is going to change things?
Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning all! Lynxstch, that just makes zero sense and truly was an awful and not well though out idea! Continued prayers for Lily!

It's dark and cool here so far. Already feels much later in the day than it is (not even 8am).

I got my new pajamas from Wal-Mart yesterday. It's supposed to be 90 this weekend so might not need them ( they are full length as opposed to Capri) yet but good to have them. I definitely recommend Secret Treasure brand of sleepwear! Just on these particular PJ's be careful of sizing! I am Blessed with height at 5'8" I was not sure of what size to get so at first chose large. The pants are not only huge in width but practically cover my entire foot! The top was a little big but I do have long arms so I generally do get a size up in long sleeve tops. Long story short, after much confusion and hassle in trying to explain to Walmart.com I wanted an even exchange for a medium in the same pajamas, they kindly did send me the medium and are letting me keep the large. I'll donate/ask a few friends about the medium top and will probably donate the large bottoms. But lol it ended up working just great as a mix n match on sizes! I do know most people do want a true PJ set (same size top and bottom) but do wish there were more (I know pre plague there were always a few) mix n match options.

Sleepwear QOTD for Friday, 10/30: What are your go to Pajamas and what about slippers?

I am a long pajama pants person all the way unless it is super duper hot in which case I will sometimes wear longer pajama shorts or when plain hot Capris. What's odd is I do not normally like the tops that tend to come with a pajama set. I prefer to wear when cold a long sleeve T shirt or regular T shirt when hot. I've never been a nightgown or nightshirt person.

As for slippers, I prefer the soft bootie kind all the way! The only issue is I have long, thin feet and those bootie slippers have a quick way of stretching out very wide! I do have a couple pairs of the more sandal (Velcro strap on top of foot) type slipper.

How about each of you? :)

Sleepwear QOTD for Friday, 10/30: What are your go to Pajamas and what about slippers?

Loaded question haha!!

Anytime I can find petite pajamas I'm happy. I know I can order them at various places, and have before. Otherwise I try to find pajama bottoms with banded leg bottoms and sleeve/wrists. Short legs & short arms here... I love taking older cardigans and using them as "pajama sweaters" and wear them over thin t-shirts or whatever. I don't usually sleep in them but put them back over my pajama shirt in the AM/PM as I'm being lazy aka not dressed!
This time of year I'm terrible about slipping into pajamas earlier in the evening...when it's dark at 5 I get comfortable ha ha!
As far as slippers go - I like the fuzzy flip flops (I'd wear regular flip flops year round if I could) or heavy cabin socks.
Full disclosure - I'm guilty of wearing socks with my fuzzy flip flops! But never out of the house!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter