Realistically, how long does a midday break take?

NurseNoa

Earning My Ears
We are staying offsite (at the Vistana). Realistically, how practical is a mid-day break? I think it would be helpful for us (kids are 11, 9 and 5 and I just finished chemotherapy) but my concern is that it will take so much time to leave, get in the car, come back, find parking for a second time, that half of the break time will be spent in transport.

I would specifically like to do it on our Epcot day and possibly our DHS day. If I wanted to spend 2 hours in the hotel swimming or napping, how much time should I carve out including getting ourselves back and forth? We will have a rental car.

Figure 3-4 hours, travel inclusive.

This. When the kids were little, we took them 7 times. Our first trip we made some mistakes by trying to get our 'money's worth' and not taking a break every day. It only took a couple of days for it to become obvious to us that expecting a little kid to make it from RD to park close multiple days in a row without a break is akin to living in Fantasyland. After the first couple of days of our learning curve- the plan changed. We would do RD, then have lunch in the park (even though it is more expensive and lower quality food), then leave for a break- as lunch would be pretty much digested by the time we got to the pool. It takes a lot of time, but we never missed a mid-day swim with required nap time. Halfway into the trip- everyone was sleeping during the nap time- even adults. People underestimate how much walking is involved and how tired you can be by even the second day. We just got back from a four-and-a-half day mini trip (just 2 adults), and yesterday when we got home we napped in the early afternoon- then slept 9 or so hours last night. We are pretty fit as well- exercise at least an hour 6-7 days a week. Plan some down time- your body will thank you and your park evenings will be enjoyable instead of being spent trying to keep your kids from having constant meltdowns.

Last edited:
We did midday breaks most days. It really came down to transportation (we were onsite so it came down to buses and boats) for us--sometimes one way only took twenty minutes in transit, but sometimes it did take an hour. I was surprised that getting in and out of the parks was never really a consideration. We opened a park and closed at least one park each day so a nap was very welcome--and we are two healthy adults.

everyone is different in their travel needs...but 4 hours minimum to get any rest I think. (if everyone sleeps,more time) for me, it always worked better to find a quiet place near whatever park we're in to 'rest'...since no one but the babies would actually nap anyway. like somewhere that sells coffee and snacks,and we can sit and relax,heck even stretch our feet out and just do 'nothing' for a bit (like an hour) was enough for us.

We are staying offsite (at the Vistana). Realistically, how practical is a mid-day break? I think it would be helpful for us (kids are 11, 9 and 5 and I just finished chemotherapy) but my concern is that it will take so much time to leave, get in the car, come back, find parking for a second time, that half of the break time will be spent in transport.

I would specifically like to do it on our Epcot day and possibly our DHS day. If I wanted to spend 2 hours in the hotel swimming or napping, how much time should I carve out including getting ourselves back and forth? We will have a rental car.
Midday breaks are great, especially when it's hot, but they are much more convenient when staying close to the parks than far away. That's one reason we typically stay onsite & deluxe.

Last edited:

I always find that leavi g the parks and taking a break usually consumes 4 hours. Just getting from MK to your car easily eats up 30 mins. then driving, changing, getting settled, etc. Of course then you have to drive back, get through security, get from TTC to the park, scan tickets, etc.

It finally made sense for us last August when park hours were later. We would head out of the park around 1pm and take the bus back to POR for a 1-2 hour break/nap. We would go back to the parks for a 5pm dinner and still have 3-4 hours of park time left.

Before this past August we never took breaks.

Dan

Last edited:
I would not leave and come back. We don’t have kids but we always do TS for B,L, and D due to food allergies and find especially for lunch and dinner that the time spent at those meals is our time to relax and recharge.

DHS is pretty easy. The park is right off of the main road. Parking is right next to the park (from close lots you can just walk over to the entrance). EP is longer walk from inside the park, but not too bad, esp if you only do the front in the AM and save the countries for your return. MK is the toughest.
I would definitely plan on a break while at DHS. Also, if you do not break at EP, some of the countries have movies that you can sit in--such as France. I can't recall if Canada is seated or standing.
If you did a sit down lunch at EP, that might give you a rest. If you have a handicap sticker, you can park very close.

I always find that leavi g the parks and taking a break usually consumes 4 hours. Just getting from MK to your car easily eats up 30 mins. then driving, changing, getting settled, etc. Of course then you have to drive back, get through security, get from TTC to the park, scan tickets, etc.
This is why I definitely didn't plan on midday breaks on our MK days (both of which are party days and therefore we need to leave at 6 pm). Knowing that we would need to add that extra time of getting to/from TTC. But for our Epcot day especially (over 12 hours from RD to illuminations) and HS day (we have a PPO ADR) I was curious to see if we could fit in a break without sacrificing too many rides/experiences.

DHS is pretty easy. The park is right off of the main road. Parking is right next to the park (from close lots you can just walk over to the entrance). EP is longer walk from inside the park, but not too bad, esp if you only do the front in the AM and save the countries for your return. MK is the toughest.
I would definitely plan on a break while at DHS. Also, if you do not break at EP, some of the countries have movies that you can sit in--such as France. I can't recall if Canada is seated or standing.
If you did a sit down lunch at EP, that might give you a rest. If you have a handicap sticker, you can park very close.
I won't have handicapped parking because I am arriving from another country (I do have it where I live).

About 4 hours, and it is totally worth it! The only park that’s kind of a pain to get in and out of is MK. And when you come back in the evening, you should be able to find closer parking.

We used to do midday breaks, both for the kid and the husband, but for our next trip we're going to try to get to the parks mid morning and stay until close. My Husband is not a 'getting up and go' kind of guy so this may work better than our previous tries. It's a hassle to get out of the parks, on transportation, and to your resort and I did not enjoy it. On our last trip he and his mom(her only time coming with us) would go take a break on our MK days, we stayed at the Poly, while me and the kid would stay at the park.

We won’t even take a break at Disneyland where we stay in walking distance. If we leave the parks at Wdw we’re done with that park.

And swimming is not a break for many. Swimming is exhausting. For many.

just did 4 days with a 3.yo. got to parks by 0900, left around 1pm-2pm. Went back to a park around 6pm and would be able to catch whatever fireworks show. 3yo would then sleep on the bus to the resort. let her use the restroom, change her into pjs and she would go to sleep
It was tiring for her mentally and physically.

2 hours for me.. if I’m in the magic kingdom I’ll watch Festival of Fantasy then make my way out.

my concern is that it will take so much time to leave, get in the car, come back, find parking for a second time, that half of the break time will be spent in transport.

This is why I wouldn't take a break staying off-site. I'd remain in the parks until someone cries uncle and call it a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter