Realistically, how long does a midday break take?

One of the greatest things about the epcot and monorail resorts is the ability to start or end your day at one of the parks next to or within walking distance of your resort.

I think that your HS day would be fine to take the break back at Vistana, but for your Epcot day you might want to consider taking your break at one of the monorail resorts instead of heading back to Vistana. They have beautiful lobby areas where you can sit and relax for a little while and your kids can check out the stores and window shop. I am a huge fan of the mid-day break, but when we stayed at Vistana Villages it was a bit time consuming to get to and from the parks, and then park the car, and then walk to the park.

We've done mid day breaks when staying onsite, and found that they easily consume 3 to 4 hours, with little to nothing in the way of actual rest to show for it. I can only imagine it taking longer to get to an offsite hotel / home. For my money's worth, better to arrive at the park later, with well chosen FP+ if you can't manage the whole day, or just find a quiet area in the park to get a bit of rest. We were fortunate that our son had no problem napping in the stroller, and used the thing until he was like 8 (only at Disney) so by the time he gave up the stroller, he really didn't need naps to get through the day anyway.

Midday breaks are great, especially when it's hot, but they are much more convenient when staying close to the parks than far away. That's one reason we typically stay onsite & deluxe.
Agreed. It is only monorail resorts for us, or the BC for this exact reason.

When we stayed offsite we would do TS lunch as our midday break. It’s too much hassle to drive. Now we only stay onsite and it takes about 4 hours when we do breaks by the pool.

Do not believe the off-site option is a pain. I stay only off site and I can be in my room while on-site guests are still waiting on a bus. I've stayed on-site plenty of times but stay exclusively off site now and find it much easier. The only exception would be MK and TTC which can eat some time but it isn't bad. Take the break and recharge.

I wouldn't take one if you are staying offsite. You don't have to leave property for a mid-day break. You can head to a resort that is close by and spend a little time in the lobby area. I've taken a nap in places like Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, and Boardwalk but they were just me and short 20 minute power naps. Now that we have a young one we stay on property (and bring grandma) just for the mid-day nap convenience.

We stay off-site and plan for a mid-afternoon break (4 hours) most days. Our problem though was when the grand kids were younger, 6 and 8 they would be asleep in the car before we could get back to our Condo. We tried our best to keep them awake but they were so tired it was hard. Of course after they had their 20 minute nap they were all energetic, while the adults all still needed their nap/break/downtime.

We like to do morning EMH or RD, then leave by lunchtime for a break in the room for an hour or so. We stay on site, so it's slightly quicker to get home, but don't return to the same park, we usually go to a water park or Epcot for a wander around the World Showcase until dinner. I haven't been on chemo myself but as a nurse I have witnessed how exhausting it can be, so you need to look after your health, while enjoying your vacation.

We like to do morning EMH or RD, then leave by lunchtime for a break in the room for an hour or so. We stay on site, so it's slightly quicker to get home, but don't return to the same park, we usually go to a water park or Epcot for a wander around the World Showcase until dinner. I haven't been on chemo myself but as a nurse I have witnessed how exhausting it can be, so you need to look after your health, while enjoying your vacation.
And can I second this?? I know everyone is different, but my mom had lots of trouble with her electrolytes getting really low after chemo. When they bottom out, as I'm sure you know OP, you get sort of loopy. So please stay hydrated, and if it were me, I'd probably carry a cold Gatorade or the like around (cooler backpack) in case you start feeling funny. Your kids likely wouldn't know what to do for you. Congrats on finishing; hope you have a great trip!

Congratulations on finishing your chemo!

Each person is different. For me, the effort of walking to the front of the park (or adding in transportation within the part to get to the front such as the Epcot boat or the train in MK) + getting to the car + driving (none of this is restful) and driving BACK to the park, getting back inside and getting back to where I was (all of this is not restful) FAR outweighs the benefit of the short time I get away from the park. As I cannot generally do RD to closing myself I have made a choice before I go whether I want to be there at RD or whether I want to see the fireworks, and I plan accordingly. If I want to rest mid day I try to find a cool place where I can sit. For example in HS I find Rizzo's to be a quiet place for a rest.

We stay off-site and plan for a mid-afternoon break (4 hours) most days. Our problem though was when the grand kids were younger, 6 and 8 they would be asleep in the car before we could get back to our Condo. We tried our best to keep them awake but they were so tired it was hard. Of course after they had their 20 minute nap they were all energetic, while the adults all still needed their nap/break/downtime.
Yes this is also totally a REAL problem!!! and many people have contributed this opinion: "we got the kids loaded up, dragged them onto the monorail/the rental car/whatever... they passed out on the journey... by the time we arrived to the hotel, they were wide-eyed and bushy-tailed... transport time wasted, adults still tired, kids ready to go back to the Parks."

Yes this is also totally a REAL problem!!! and many people have contributed this opinion: "we got the kids loaded up, dragged them onto the monorail/the rental car/whatever... they passed out on the journey... by the time we arrived to the hotel, they were wide-eyed and bushy-tailed... transport time wasted, adults still tired, kids ready to go back to the Parks."

This is pretty much what would happen when my brothers and I were little. Now that I'm grown up, my parents and I like to hop to one of the nearby resorts if we need an afternoon break, as even though we're usually onsite, it's mostly resorts that would involve bus transport. You can find a nice place to park yourself, enjoy the A/C, and just recharge for a while. My faves are Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary. Both have lots of nice out of the way spots; Contemporary's Meeting and Ballroom lobby level is full of super comfy couches and is usually near empty, and there's a spot just above the entry doors in the Lodge with a couch and fireplace that has seen many a nap from me. If you find yourself in the back of Epcot or at DHS, you could also go to any of the resorts that lie on the boat ride between those two gates too. You may need a more relaxing environment, or a true nap, what with your health, but if you just need a break to hang out out of the heat and decompress for a bit, it might save some time and energy. And in my experience most kids'll nap just about anywhere, and no one'll think it odd if you let them pass out on a couch next to you for as long as they need.

As others have said, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! And try to fit in short breaks throughout the day, whether in a long air conditioned show like the circlevisions or carousel of progress, or getting some free water and grabbing a table at an air conditioned quick service for 20 minutes. It makes a big difference.

As others have said, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! And try to fit in short breaks throughout the day, whether in a long air conditioned show like the circlevisions or carousel of progress, or getting some free water and grabbing a table at an air conditioned quick service for 20 minutes. It makes a big difference.

My favorite spots when I am exhausted:

MK - CoP. You can usually go around more than once if you ask politely. Also is there is a breeze, peoplemover is good for a go - you can people watch from the sky and they will let you go around more than once if you ask politely.

Epcot - Spaceship earth has almost no line usually, is a long sit down ride and they will let you go around more than once if you ask politely. Also the movie in Imagination is a good cool place if the air conditioner in spaceship earth is off. Communicore - where the chase visa shots are (across from starbucks) has a mostly unused hallway with empty benches that sometimes have AC cranked WAY UP - like I have been downright freezing in there.

DHS - Rizzo's in my place now. Lots of seating, good ac, accessible bathroom.

AK - This one is harder for me. I don't have a good hangout spot at the moment. If it's not too hot out there are a bunch of unused benches over by Dinosaur. However if it's hot out, I don't have a good place.

If you really need a break, leave around 2 and return after dinner. Try not to take the long break every day. Also, arriving to the parks late is another alternative. Some days we relax by the pool and hit the parks around 3 or so.

Typically mid day break days were for days we started at RD at parks NOT MK. EP/ DHS is easy to leave and return (approx 30 when we stayed at Windsor Hills). MK is a different animal (I timed our best transport time at an 1:15 our last trip was in May 2015) since we drive in and had to park at TTC, this is why we usually don't do 2 days in a row at MK (because we try to do a rest time in the park at MK....we sit and people watch with a snack and hope the youngest naps in a stroller). Our best park day at MK was when we planned to stay to close, but didn't come in until 4pm (swam at the hotel in the am) no one was exhausted and we decided we would do that again! Now that my youngest could probably go without a stroller if it wasn't all day,I'd consider a party day and enter at 4pm til party over or till someone complains:)

We always stay off site, have park hoppers & take a mid-day break - usually leave park around 1 or 2. Sometimes H and my son go to the pool for awhile, sometimes not. I usually eat a snack, read a while and nap so I can recharge for the night. Our breaks last anywhere from 3 - 4 hours, not including travel time. It really is not that big a deal to leave the parks & drive back to our resort. We've stayed at the Vistana, it's only about 10 mins. from Epcot & HS. It is more of a pain & takes longer to leave MK.

I can't imagine not taking a break away from the parks - I like to get away from the crowds and be in my own space to relax and unwind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter