• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Record Store Day 2024

Newsies

Headlines don't sell papes.
Who’s camping out at their favorite record store this morning?

Anyone get anything good today?

I've hit up RSD in past years, I'm sitting this one out. I'll probably find what I want on line tomorrow or Monday. Have fun!

Is there some sort of special/promotion underway? First I have heard of this.
Two days each year are designated as Record Store Day in support of independent record stores across the world. There are dozens (hundreds?) of titles pressed in limited editions with RSD hype stickers. Often there are records on colored vinyl, or with rare versions of songs (i.e. live performances or exclusive mixes) Ardent record collectors will line up in the wee hours to get a shot at what they are looking for so they can grab 'em before they sell out. Later today or tomorrow you can find a lot of these items being sold on Ebay at exorbitant prices because some of those folks who lined up early are flippers.

I heard something about this on the news recently. It sounds like a cool thing really.

I do not have any means by which to play vinyl, and stuff like Apple Music or the other services etc... have made it almost "too easy", especially with Bluetooth stuff.

That said, I would love to have a cool retro thing going and get some of the vinyl from "back in the day". The stuff I would like to have is probably easily found, like Thriller, Purple Rain, and some early Madonna.

I heard something about this on the news recently. It sounds like a cool thing really.
A lot of younger people are getting into vinyl, it's a fad. I think of number of the young set just buy them to collect, put 'em up on the wall, may not even have anything to play them on.
My first LP, Here's Little Richard, 1957, 7th grade
That's a classic for sure! You can probably stream it now!

I can still remember when vinyl was on the way out and sound quality from digital media was far superior and didn't degrade after being used several times. I think clever marketing has made vinyl a 'thing' again.

I held on to my vinyl and received a record player for my birthday a couple of years ago. It was fun to get the collection out and give it a listen.

There are no record stores near me, so I didn’t know that RSD was a thing.

My first LP, Here's Little Richard, 1957, 7th grade. Still have it. Great, classic, early R&R songs there. Hundreds of LP's followed, still have most of them. No record player currently though, ha.

View attachment 853498

View attachment 853501

So funny you mention Little Richard -- my store had one or two copies of Right Now! because of the RSD event today and it was the only thing the person in front of me wanted. We were about a hundred people in line so we weren't sure he was going to get it, but sure enough, he got the last copy :)

I walked away with both Rolling Stones releases, and since I had come all that way and wasn't able to get what I really wanted (Fleetwood Mac, Thin Lizzy, Ramones), I grabbed a version of Taylor Swift's latest album I didn't already have so I could get an exclusive "card" that Taylor's team released for the event.

So funny you mention Little Richard -- my store had one or two copies of Right Now! because of the RSD event today and it was the only thing the person in front of me wanted. We were about a hundred people in line so we weren't sure he was going to get it, but sure enough, he got the last copy :)

I walked away with both Rolling Stones releases, and since I had come all that way and wasn't able to get what I really wanted (Fleetwood Mac, Thin Lizzy, Ramones), I grabbed a version of Taylor Swift's latest album I didn't already have so I could get an exclusive "card" that Taylor's team released for the event.
Very neat. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
DH & I have a large collection of vinyl between us
and I play records often on our turntable.
DS grew up listening to vinyl, his favorites being Newhart's Button Downed album
as well as the original radio broadcast of War of the Worlds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter