• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Removing Glasses and Mugs Again?

JMHO, if that’s what they gotta do then that’s what they gotta do. Our dues and the intake of millions a month, if not a day, can handle the associated cost of doing so, especially if this practice is now required.

Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

Whatever procedure they use would be 100% funded by member dues. I assume this is being reevaluated as a cost control measure. Presumably cheap paper cups would cost less than the glass purchase/handling/cleaning process. It's not enough to make dues go down, but would help stave off some of the natural increases elsewhere.

I stay in non-Disney hotel rooms about 20-30 nights per year, mostly 3 and 4 star chains. Some have glasses and mugs. Some are all paper and plastic. I'm not opposed to keeping the glassware but Disney wouldn't be the first hotel to make this move, either.

Really? Dues are the same no matter what accommodations we choose to stay in. Why should one accommodation have less quality than any other?

Not really. The base rate is the same but since point costs vary by villa size, each room technically yields different returns. SSR dues are $5.86 per point. A Studio priced at 13 points per night represents $76.18 worth of dues or $12.57 for the housekeeping component alone. A One Bedroom villa at 29 points for the same night is $169.94 total or $28.05 for housekeeping.

I could see the clean mugs and glasses on the housekeeping carts this past week at Kidani-they’re not washing them in the sink! They replace them.

I could see the clean mugs and glasses on the housekeeping carts this past week at Kidani-they’re not washing them in the sink! They replace them.
This is what I have seen in SSR. Years ago, we were told there would be dishwashers so all DVC studios would have cleaned glasses and ceramic mugs washed by them. I think it took a bit longer for OKW to be provided with those dishwashers.

Members who feel strongly one way or another are encouraged to voice their opinions to DVC. The fact that it's only a test process which hasn't expanded to other resorts suggests the outcome is still undetermined.

I sent an email on Saturday, very short and to the point, that I had heard they were removing ceramic and glassware and that I would prefer they didn't. I drink a lot of coffee and hot tea and there was no way they would be providing enough supplies, and that I prefer to drink out of a ceramic mug.

Sunday morning, I received a phone call about my email. Unfortunately I was down with a migraine, so my DH took the call and had no idea what they were talking about. They told him that they were taking all opinions into consideration at this point.

There are over 400 Studios at SSR, so I imagine the costs associated with that process are noteworthy.

If cleaning costs are an issue, then why not give the mugs and glasses to guests to take home as souvenirs? Cheap white mugs (and they are cheap white mugs in DVC studios) and wine glasses can be bought in stores for $1 and probably much cheaper when bought in bulk. Cost per studio rental would probably be $5-$7 or less than a dollar per day. Minus the current energy costs of cleaning mugs and glasses and it's even cheaper!

If cleaning costs are an issue, then why not give the mugs and glasses to guests to take home as souvenirs? Cheap white mugs (and they are cheap white mugs in DVC studios) and wine glasses can be bought in stores for $1 and probably much cheaper when bought in bulk. Cost per studio rental would probably be $5-$7 or less than a dollar per day. Minus the current energy costs of cleaning mugs and glasses and it's even cheaper!

Naaa! That idea won't happen-makes too much sense.

Who would bother taking them? Even if they posted a tacky sign that says “please take the glasses and mugs home with you!”, DVC owners are frequent guests. How many plain white coffee mugs and glasses do people need at home? After a trip or two, it’s not worth the luggage space, breakage risk, etc.

Checked into a BCV studio this morning. I was not amused when I opened the cabinet.
Called to let them know housekeeping 'forgot' the mugs. I requested 2 mugs and they were delivered in 10 minutes. I'm happy the drinking glasses were supplied.
When we get home I will contact DVC and advise them of my feeling on the missing mugs.
upload_2018-5-4_20-11-11.png

Checked into a BCV studio this morning. I was not amused when I opened the cabinet.
Called to let them know housekeeping 'forgot' the mugs. I requested 2 mugs and they were delivered in 10 minutes. I'm happy the drinking glasses were supplied.
When we get home I will contact DVC and advise them of my feeling on the missing mugs.
View attachment 320604

I like the way you worded it when you called-"You FORGOT the mugs". I don't have a good feeling about this though-I'm hoping they don't forget my mugs at BCV in September.

The answer, in my opinion, is simple. Change them out when rooms arw turned over and
View attachment 320604

Certainly doesn't look "deluxe" to me.

I like the way you worded it when you called-"You FORGOT the mugs". I don't have a good feeling about this though-I'm hoping they don't forget my mugs at BCV in September.

If owners do not voice their displeasure over this issue, they will get rid of them for good. I'm PO'ed about it to be honest.
I despise the fact they don't make up the sofa bed anymore too. It's supposed to be a deluxe resort. Come on, I'm on vacation. I wait all year so I can put the sheets on a pull out. :sad2: They continue to chip away...

Let them know. The more voices, the better.

I did let them know. I emailed them and called. Haven't heard back. It was bad enough when they refurbished the BWV studios with those awful pull down tables and two chairs on top of the TV. If this sticks, I won't be staying in a studio anymore. I can get more out of deluxe in the Courtyard for pete's sake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter