RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

Well I don't think anything is spiteful with Disney, it's a business. (Well, OK, maybe when Eisner finally got his hands on the Muppets for a song, but generally speaking no.) I'm thinking they have a very specific business reason or reasons for doing this, that they think will make the program more successful. I'm guessing they are thinking this will increase direct sales. But they could be gambling with the resale values in the process, we will see.

I actually think this means that they think the market is very strong, strong enough to support these restrictions and still help sales.

I assume you mean no member ID cards for resale buyers. So they would be shut out of BLT's TOWL lounge as well, plus not be eligible for any member discounts.
Yes from what I heard, I'm going to call DVC today and I'll post up what I find out

Well I don't think anything is spiteful with Disney, it's a business. (Well, OK, maybe when Eisner finally got his hands on the Muppets for a song, but generally speaking no.) I'm thinking they have a very specific business reason or reasons for doing this, that they think will make the program more successful. I'm guessing they are thinking this will increase direct sales. But they could be gambling with the resale values in the process, we will see.

I actually think this means that they think the market is very strong, strong enough to support these restrictions and still help sales.
Now, Finally someone with a sound biz mind! Exactly, this will only help.

There are two other forums where members pull and post the deeds each month for Poly, including listing point size of contracts.

The information is out there.
Again, I know my info is SOLID! What these people put up, well I wouldn't bet on it

I'm surprised, and a bit shocked, I have to admit it. However all existing members are grandfathered and I don't think Disney is going to suffer much reputation backslash fo this. A difference depending on how you purchased already existed, they've just trying to make it more meaningful.

However we all knew this could happen and here it is.
Egoistically, on one side, I'm happy I'm grandfathered. They might now create new and better incentives that I can have access too, if they really want to push this during sales.
On the other side, I guess the valus of my contracts will go down. Well, I don't have any intention to sell, so this doesn't bother me much.

Just a question:
Please know that as a current Disney Vacation Club Member (regardless of when or where you bought your membership), your access to Disney Differences and these additional Membership Extras will not be affected by this policy change.

Does this mean that now I can book Disney and Concierge collections (Not that I would do it anyway)? It looks that there will be now two tiers of membership, not three. But if my ability to book the Disney collection is not affected by the change, well, I couldn't before so I shouldn't after.

I saw that first thing this morning too. So guessing tickets, parties, discounts are all membership extras? (other than the obvious, cruises) Not that it really affects me, but I do recommend to interested friends to buy resale. Just have to make sure they know what they are and are not getting.

So just to point out our DVC annual pass discount is a membership extra and probably the most significant perk cut for new resale members if this is true. They will no longer be able to purchase gold passes unless they are also Florida residents (or a regular discounted pass) so now they will have to pay $749 plus tax instead of $549 plus tax (assuming they don't travel holiday weeks). For large families that could be a deal breaker since you can get up to 8 passes at the discounted price-That's $1600 plus tax discount per year lost buying resale vs direct. Now we all know that perk could disappear tomorrow but I bet that could be a strong selling point guides use to discourage buyers considering resale.

In the past there has been mentioned smaller booking windows for resale points. However, it has not happened. I think that would lower resale prices significantly, not what they have done, even now.

I am someone who really enjoys the special experiences on Member Cruises, ( not the bling), and am lucky enough to be "there" for 2 of the night member experiences this year. Most of my points (1000+) were bought direct, or grandfathered previously, and cost a lot less than points cost directly now. For the special things, I would buy some direct points if that would give me access to the experiences.

I very much enjoy being a DVC member, but I do not like this announcement.

I'm surprised, and a bit shocked, I have to admit it. However all existing members are grandfathered and I don't think Disney is going to suffer much reputation backslash fo this. A difference depending on how you purchased already existed, they've just trying to make it more meaningful.

However we all knew this could happen and here it is.
Egoistically, on one side, I'm happy I'm grandfathered. They might now create new and better incentives that I can have access too, if they really want to push this during sales.
On the other side, I guess the valus of my contracts will go down. Well, I don't have any intention to sell, so this doesn't bother me much.

Just a question:
Please know that as a current Disney Vacation Club Member (regardless of when or where you bought your membership), your access to Disney Differences and these additional Membership Extras will not be affected by this policy change.

Does this mean that now I can book Disney and Concierge collections (Not that I would do it anyway)? It looks that there will be now two tiers of membership, not three. But if my ability to book the Disney collection is not affected by the change, well, I couldn't before so I shouldn't after.
No, still not available, I will verify but after reading past and revised info it doesn't allow us to use those collections.

This very much sums it up. Could it effect resale prices, yes...but I doubt much. What it does is give Disney a better pitch for why someone might want to buy direct versus resale. Its like buying a new car or a used car. If you buy new you get a warranty, etc and if you buy used you can save a lot of money, but you also have to understand that there are more miles, repair costs, etc that could be involved.

This doesn't affect me at all since my points were bought direct, but after 2011 everyone knew that there could be further restrictions on resale points. In some ways you could say that it does help to an extent. As continues to grow and expand by thousands of members a year (with no slowing in site) and they want to offer extras, it reduces the pool of people that are eligible for that extra. If they have a night at typhoon lagoon, more members who paid the premium for their contract can go and the members that got their membership at a discount through resale can continue to enjoy what we all ended really purchased...which is a stay at Disney.

It can actually be compared to staying on site or off site. You don't have to stay on site, but you will get some advantages. If you choose to stay off site and save some dough, there are some disadvantages. When a prospective buyer sits down with a Disney salesperson and says should I pay $140 with you or $90 in resale, the sales person now has a response to that (that they are different) and someone needs to weigh that decision. Even the idea of buying resale and doing an add on later to get those perks at a savings is to

I imagine the loss of discounts on dining, shopping, and access to member-exclusive events will lower the value of resale contracts - but to what extent?

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

My other thought is that Disney isn't dumb and has considered many future resale buyers will buy 25 retail points to gain access to these developer perks. Either they will allow that if the sale makes sense for them or they will require a higher buy in to get developer perks. New DVC members must purchase at least 50 points (assuming policy hasn't changed in the past year). Disney could easily make that the minimum for a resale buyer to gain access to these direct buy perks.

I saw that first thing this morning too. So guessing tickets, parties, discounts are all membership extras? (other than the obvious, cruises) Not that it really affects me, but I do recommend to interested friends to buy resale. Just have to make sure they know what they are and are not getting.
YOU REALLY DONT SAVE MONEY, you are just paying less to start your membership

Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from DVD will not have access to Membership Extras.

So we have three levels of membership:
a) Direct purchasers and Resale purchasers before March 21, 2011
b) Resale purchasers between March 22, 2011 and April 4, 2016
c) Resale purchasers after April 5, 2016

and three levels of benefits:
- Disney and Concierge Collections: only available to a)
- Membership Extras like AP discounts and members events: only available to a) and b)
- Other benefits like pool hopping and TOTWL: available to everyone

Questions on the DISboards about benefits will account for 50% of posts :)

YOU REALLY DONT SAVE MONEY, you are just paying less to start your membership
I'm not sure what you mean? Are you saying a person doesn't really save money by buying resale? That couldn't be further from the truth. I'm just glad we closed on our resale in Jan, so we're grandfathered in. I wanted to get an add on via resale. I wonder if that would effect anything?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter