Resale Resorts Riv eligibility

This is very true and we decided that what it would cost to buy out the share of that person, if the worst case happened, was something we were willing to do.

We also decided that if the two girls ever get married, we may have their significant other sign off on a claim prior to marriage, But honestly, one contract is RIV and one SSR so honestly, not thinking it would be that much.
Wow - A DVC-PreNup! :rotfl2:
I'm guessing it wouldn't be the first ??:goodvibes

Wow - A DVC-PreNup! :rotfl2:
I'm guessing it wouldn't be the first ??:goodvibes

Hahaha! Yeah, like I said it was something we discussed as worst case scenario options and decided the risks were not great enough to outweigh them owning!

Plus, we paid, and any extra we would have to Pay just comes from their share anyway!,,,

They do! It is one of the huge benefits of the direct purchase. If you had two kids on your contract who got married and each had two kids, all 10 of you would qualify for the ticket discount, and your two children would each have a blue card (their partners would not unless they were also added on the contract).

This may change over time, but the 'Membership Extras' disclosure document that I got yesterday says that there is a cap of a total of eight (8) discounted passes per year.

Interesting idea to get blue cards for the kids, before they have their own families and move out. They would need to keep everything as one contract, but once they move away from your house, they all keep the cards, and privileges with their respective families, right? That makes the extra cost of buying direct more reasonable perhaps; as the benefits are split across multiple families for many years I’d think? Kids would need to be 18 and named on the contract of course. I might be thinking of it wrong?

We split ours up into multiple smaller contracts. What we wanted to do was 2x 75 point contracts and 2x 25 point contracts and split them evenly between the kids. DVC wouldn’t let me buy any contracts for 25 points even though I would’ve bought 200 points total. Those 2x 25 point contracts would’ve had to have been a 50 point contract which defeated the purpose of getting more points for an even split. What we ended up with was 1x 75 point contract and 2x 50 point contracts. We will give a 50 point contract to each kid, and they will share the 75 point contract. We needed one 75 point contract because the minimum for perks when we purchased was 75 points which our kids will be grandfathered into if they keep it when we pass it to them. If we ever wanted to downsize, we need to keep the 75 point contract for the perks. Also, our kids could each sell their 50 point contracts and just share the 75 if they wanted to. Bottom line was a lot of though went into it. We split them up as best we could with buying 175 points which was the target amount.

This may change over time, but the 'Membership Extras' disclosure document that I got yesterday says that there is a cap of a total of eight (8) discounted passes per year.
I believe that is 8 per member, however. "WDW and DL Passes may only be purchased by Members for themselves and their immediate family living in their household, up to a total of eight (8) per year."

Since the resale restrictions don't appear to be going anywhere, I'm curious what people think the value of the points are on the resale market are going forward. I just noticed that two, 75-point contracts sold fairly quickly listed at $143 which seems high given the restrictions yet a good value if you your'e comparing it to paying cash at Riviera assuming you "had to" stay there.

Since the resale restrictions don't appear to be going anywhere, I'm curious what people think the value of the points are on the resale market are going forward. I just noticed that two, 75-point contracts sold fairly quickly listed at $143 which seems high given the restrictions yet a good value if you your'e comparing it to paying cash at Riviera assuming you "had to" stay there.
I agree; I'm thinking things will start to fall across the board, if we go into December with no major change to the COVID situation.
I have to ask - was the CP3 part of your user name intentional, or a typo? Did you mean for it to be C3Puhoh?

I agree; I'm thinking things will start to fall across the board, if we go into December with no major change to the COVID situation.
I have to ask - was the CP3 part of your user name intentional, or a typo? Did you mean for it to be C3Puhoh?
intentional

I believe that is 8 per member, however. "WDW and DL Passes may only be purchased by Members for themselves and their immediate family living in their household, up to a total of eight (8) per year."

Correct. Every household is entitled to 8. So adult children living elsewhere are entitled to get as many as they need up to the 8.

Surprisingly, the RIV contracts sold so far seem to be going much higher than many of us predicted,

People seem to be paying, on average, $130 ish, even restricted, if someone already has other resale points, picking up RIV for specific trips isn’t really a big deal.

I plan to tour RIV next Jan/Feb when we're there. If we like the resort, and the skyliner. we might put it on our potential list, as EPCOT & DHS are our favorite parks.
We've even thought about the possibility that one of us could take a solo trip in the future, and stay in the tower studios. I don't see us surviving a stay there, together ! :earboy2:

Surprisingly, the RIV contracts sold so far seem to be going much higher than many of us predicted,

People seem to be paying, on average, $130 ish, even restricted, if someone already has other resale points, picking up RIV for specific trips isn’t really a big deal.

If people want to use DVC solely for Disney World (which isn't a stretch), it's not so terrible to be restricted to only staying at the Riviera. While the resale restrictions may hurt the resale value, I don't think it destroys the resale value. You get to a point where the consumer says, "would I rather pay $$$ to stay at the original 10 WDW DVC resorts,, or pay $$ to only stay at the Riviera?"

If people want to use DVC solely for Disney World (which isn't a stretch), it's not so terrible to be restricted to only staying at the Riviera. While the resale restrictions may hurt the resale value, I don't think it destroys the resale value. You get to a point where the consumer says, "would I rather pay $$$ to stay at the original 10 WDW DVC resorts,, or pay $$ to only stay at the Riviera?"
The biggest worry is availability. The fear is if there is no availability for your travel dates for RIV then you have to find other dates or bank you points. There's no looking at other resorts which can happen often during busy times or holidays. So def dont buy RIV resale if you go during busy times of the year.

Got my call back today. Someone from regulatory division..I think..said it was a big clerical error and there is no change to restrictions.

With the current state of employees and furloughed and things, people are helping out in areas they don’t normally work in

So, it didn’t sound like this is being considered at this time but she did say that something like this would definitely be shared with owners and not changed subtlety.

Last edited:
Correct. Every household is entitled to 8. So adult children living elsewhere are entitled to get as many as they need up to the 8.
Adult children living elsewhere cannot get the DVC AP. Their ID has to show same address of DVC member. I have three 20something kids and the 2 that have IDs with my address can get the DVC AP but my DS has his own address so he no longer qualifies. Or did I misunderstand the entire convo here??? Maybe you mean if the 20something kids were deeded on my contracts??? Then, yes, they too are members and can have any address. But my kids aren't on our deeds.

The biggest worry is availability. The fear is if there is no availability for your travel dates for RIV then you have to find other dates or bank you points. There's no looking at other resorts which can happen often during busy times or holidays. So def dont buy RIV resale if you go during busy times of the year.

People who buy RIV resale will just need to book right at 11 months and be flexible with room size if dates are not.

I always plan to use them right at 11 months..though mine are direct.. to ensure I get my room for F and W!

Adult children living elsewhere cannot get the DVC AP. Their ID has to show same address of DVC member. I have three 20something kids and the 2 that have IDs with my address can get the DVC AP but my DS has his own address so he no longer qualifies. Or did I misunderstand the entire convo here???

Sorry. We were talking about adult children living elsewhere who have been added to the deeds as official owners!

I added my 3 adult children last year so they are now blue card owners and will be eligible for the AP discount.

Last edited:
Adult children living elsewhere cannot get the DVC AP. Their ID has to show same address of DVC member. I have three 20something kids and the 2 that have IDs with my address can get the DVC AP but my DS has his own address so he no longer qualifies. Or did I misunderstand the entire convo here??? Maybe you mean if the 20something kids were deeded on my contracts??? Then, yes, they too are members and can have any address. But my kids aren't on our deeds.
You are correct, but @Sandisw's Riviera contracts were purchased with her kids - so the kids are owners and because of that, it doesn't matter where they live. I think Sandi just forgot that everyone may not know her kids are owners when she posted. Good to clarify. :)

I bought direct at Riviera because I wanted to maintain blue card perks for my kids if they want them when we pass the contracts to them. If they don’t want them, they can sell them. They don’t need to “make a profit” on the sale since they didn’t buy them. We all bought in and signed with the understanding that the restrictions exist, they may be removed, and they may be reimplemented after removal. People can complain, but we knew what we were buying. I’m staying there for the first time next month and cannot wait! I’ve toured the grounds and eaten at Topolino’s but haven’t gotten to stay yet.
I stayed there in August it was Beautiful and staff was amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter