Resort towns filling up during Coronavirus with Second HomeOwners?

I've been following this story for the last week or so, since it happened. At first I thought it was pretty much overreacting. But the more I thought about it, they have 20 hospital beds, some of which are probably taken by labor and delivery. Once they're out of beds, they airlift patients to Norfolk. This situation has created decisions that I would normally never agree with. But I actually agree with Dare County's response.

Having said that, the restrictions should go both ways. If they're locking down the Outer Banks, if a year round resident goes to the mainland, they shouldn't be able to return until the crisis is over.

We do have a vacation scheduled at Nags Head in July. Hoping this will be over by then.
If they are locking out people who own property and are not full time residents, they need to lock out anyone who crosses the bridge, they need to stop accepting deliveries, they need to lock down the entire island.

They are doing something that is not based on science. They might as well be having witch trials. It is barbaric and it should not be tolerated in America.

Having said that, the restrictions should go both ways. If they're locking down the Outer Banks, if a year round resident goes to the mainland, they shouldn't be able to return until the crisis is over.
That is a good point honestly. Movement is movement right?

Thinking of going back and forth because your journey was considered essential (say to go to a grocery store or whatnot if your own area was low on resources) doesn't make it any more safe in regards to spread which was the reason they said limiting access was being done for that reason.

If they are locking out people who own property and are not full time residents, they need to lock out anyone who crosses the bridge, they need to stop accepting deliveries, they need to lock down the entire island.

They are doing something that is not based on science. They might as well be having witch trials. It is barbaric and it should not be tolerated in America.
I don't agree on not allowing deliveries. I agree on limiting movement both directions but you still have to allow for adequate supplies and resources to be there so those residents can you know live, eat, etc.

I don't agree on not allowing deliveries. I agree on limiting movement both directions but you still have to allow for adequate supplies and resources to be there so those residents can you know live, eat, etc.
Sorry, but if it is so dangerous that you cannot even allow property owners who don't live their year round, even with a quarantine, then letting in dozens of deliveries presents a far greater risk. No science here - just voodoo logic.

Florida last week. Come on down and party for spring break. The beaches are open. Nothing to worry about Corona Schmorona.
Florida this week. Stay out you filthy diseased yankees Look what YOU did.
This a misrepresentation. The out of state folks who were here on vacation when this whole thing accelerated a couple weeks ago were already in place. Warnings were quickly issued regarding our beaches telling people to not congregate in large groups. These warnings were disregarded so unfortunately, more drastic measures had to happen (closing the beaches, parks, restaurants, etc.)

Even this did not discourage people from continuing to come down even as the day to day news made it clear things were getting exponentially worse. So even more drastic measures have had to be put in place.

This is an incredibly difficult & trying time for all of us.

True question with no judgment. There have been so many similar threads that I definitely could be conflating all the things...

Why is it so egregious for a local authority to enforce stricter lockdown rules? Dare County is requiring nonresident employees to get a waiver, so they are not discriminating against 2nd home owners, renters, etc. It seems as if the same arguments are being used against Dare County, NC, as states and communities who chose not to lockdown.

This a misrepresentation. The out of state folks who were here on vacation when this whole thing accelerated a couple weeks ago were already in place. Warnings were quickly issued regarding our beaches telling people to not congregate in large groups. These warnings were disregarded so unfortunately, more drastic measures had to happen (closing the beaches, parks, restaurants, etc.)

Even this did not discourage people from continuing to come down even as the day to day news made it clear things were getting exponentially worse. So even more drastic measures have had to be put in place.

This is an incredibly difficult & trying time for all of us.

Not a misrepresentation at all. Merely a slight exaggeration for comedic effect.

True question with no judgment. There have been so many similar threads that I definitely could be conflating all the things...

Why is it so egregious for a local authority to enforce stricter lockdown rules? Dare County is requiring nonresident employees to get a waiver, so they are not discriminating against 2nd home owners, renters, etc. It seems as if the same arguments are being used against Dare County, NC, as states and communities who chose not to lockdown.

There are no waivers available for 2nd home owners, or renters. They aren't allowed on the Outer Banks. Police are checking driver's licenses. If the address doesn't match the OBX address, they don't get in. As I said, I initially thought this policy was overreaction, but when I saw how small their hospital was, I changed my opinion.

There are no waivers available for 2nd home owners, or renters. They aren't allowed on the Outer Banks. Police are checking driver's licenses. If the address doesn't match the OBX address, they don't get in. As I said, I initially thought this policy was overreaction, but when I saw how small their hospital was, I changed my opinion.
Understood, and thank you. I read that you researched and deemed the restrictions to be reasonable in this case, and my question was for those who believe policy is too harsh yet wish many other states/localities would strengthen restrictions. I feel a disconnect, but perhaps there is something I am missing. So, I will ask again to those who feel Dare County has gone too far with restrictions but are unhappy with lack of restrictions other places. Is the issue that Dare County has gone to far, or more that the restrictions aren’t universal?

Are these the same stores the second home people patronize during the good times?

They might pop in every now and then for something they forgot or ran out of but generally, no. Most people pack in because our tiny rural grocery store does not have a large selection and is quite expensive.

Meanwhile, the county adjacent to mine has stated that their hospital is dealing with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. There have been zero cases in that county so far. The person who tested positive came here to their vacation home from another county.

Canada's chief public health officer is telling Canadians not to go to cottage country, even to their second homes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/2020/3/29/1_4873267.html
Is there really a good reason to do anything that could possibly worsen this whole thing? Even if it is only a small risk? Perhaps if you could accomplish the journey to your second home safely without exposing anyone to any possible infection, then that might be safe enough.

The one main thing my family can do to help is stay home. And we are thankful to have a safe, warm home with plenty of food.

Florida last week. Come on down and party for spring break. The beaches are open. Nothing to worry about Corona Schmorona.
Florida this week. Stay out you filthy diseased yankees Look what YOU did.
People need to stop hating on Florida as a whole. My city government has done a great job navigating this situation. The beaches were closed to Spring Breakers.

Last edited:
Looks like Raimondo is now backtracking and will NOT be stopping New Yorkers. Good for Cuomo. Now maybe she will put the National Guard doing something that will actually make a difference there.

“Good for Cuomo.” Oh please! New Yorkers have been flooding into other states. The more people who leave, the better it looks like he’s handling the situation.
(No offense to NY residents, I love y’all)

In PR you don't need to have a 2nd home - people are taking their yachts, dock off shore then take their dinghies to land. They are going to the smaller islands (Vieques and Culebra), and the smaller towns in the less touristy areas where there are very little resources for the people who actually live there.
You see tourists walking around while the island has been on lockdown for 2 weeks, now extended for 2 more weeks.

OP here. When I started this thread, I honestly could see both sides of the equation and understand where each side was coming from. As time has gone on, however, between the news of this all over the country and this thread, I am finding myself actually agreeing a bit more with homeowners.

Should they probably have stayed home? Yup. Do they have every right to go to their own properties that they pay the same taxes on as full time residents? I am now thinking yes.

Everyone who lives in a tourist area just loves seasonal residents sharing the tax burden and spending their money in their communities by supporting the local shops and restaurants . That’s fine.

Now they are being treated like pariahs. Stopping people crossing state lines, blasting them on social media, etc.. Whatever happened to the “United” States of America?

I’ve got news for everyone....every hospital is going to be overrun whether you live in a big city or small town. I don’t fault these owners trying to keep their own families safe right now.

I know many think it’s selfish. Maybe it is, but it’s no more selfish than saying we will take your tax money and take your money in our stores and restaurants when things are going great, but stay out now that things aren’t so good.

It is becoming a mob mentality and that sickens me.

Yeah, places like this should be remembered. I will never vacation there again.

I believe one of the issues with OBX is that some of the barrier islands arent connected by bridges, people must rely on ferries to get on and off. I know that's an issue with at least one barrier island here.

I know several people from NYC who are now wanting to go "home". If they haven't gotten tested to show that they do not have the virus, I really hope then plan to quarantine for 14 days.

This sort of thinking is part of the problem. Entering a state and then getting a negative test doesnt mean anything. The virus can incubate for up to 14 days before showing a positive test. So unless the person were in quarantine for 14 days, then traveled without breaking quarantine an second quarantine in the new location is needed.

Sorry, but if it is so dangerous that you cannot even allow property owners who don't live their year round, even with a quarantine, then letting in dozens of deliveries presents a far greater risk. No science here - just voodoo logic.

A delivery person doesnt typically hang around therefore even if the delivery person is infected, there is less exposure with a delivery person than someone coming to stay. Packages and goods can be disinfected. Granted, its not ideal but going without needed items isnt practical (and I mean needed, not wanted). However it isnt needed for a person to travel to a second home.

A delivery person doesnt typically hang around therefore even if the delivery person is infected, there is less exposure with a delivery person than someone coming to stay. Packages and goods can be disinfected. Granted, its not ideal but going without needed items isnt practical (and I mean needed, not wanted). However it isnt needed for a person to travel to a second home.
If you have a second home and feel that you need to go there for your family's safety, that need is very real.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter