Resorts still charging off daily?

The big deal is that if you are using a debit card or low limit card then twice your funds are tied up from the time they charge at checkout until those holds are removed which can take 3 business days to up to 2 weeks depending on your bank.

I still can't believe people still don't understand this.

Or they are being purposefully obtuse.

Got an example of how they are running the charges now, for any that still care
Here, examples of how it looked for my stay last week
They will place a hold on the credit card (called pending charges below) for any remaining balance for the room charge, plus $100, on the morning you arrive. (in my example below, this was the temp hold for $486.77)
Each time you go over $100 in a day, they will place another hold for that amount on your card (these are the holds of $206, $160 and $159.) .
Notice the total of the Pending Charges is $150? The $150 was a direct charge, not on my MB so that is exactly what should be on there
Then, they total all that up, and place a credit for that amount as another hold. (the credit for $1012)
All the those temp holds will just fall off/disappear in a few days
They then ran the charge for the total charges, room + purchases.
All of the pending room charges never hit my card, they are gone, I have a charge of $912.64 instead. Posted with a date of 3/5 but oddly doesn't show up in the transaction history till 3/9.View attachment 480033
Thank you for the explanation! Question - I am staying at All-Star Movies for 1 night then transferring to Saratoga Springs for the next 7 nights - will they charge the $100 at All-Star and at Saratoga? If so, will the $100 from All-Star be put back on the next morning, after I check out? (before I check into Saratoga)? Thank you!

Thank you for the explanation! Question - I am staying at All-Star Movies for 1 night then transferring to Saratoga Springs for the next 7 nights - will they charge the $100 at All-Star and at Saratoga? If so, will the $100 from All-Star be put back on the next morning, after I check out? (before I check into Saratoga)? Thank you!
Yes, They will place a pending charge of $100 on the morning you arrive to ASMo and it will fall off if you never charge to the room for that stay. Then at SSR they will do the same (or include the room balance if it's a room only stay and not paid in full before arrival)

I actually had 2 stays in that above. However, we didn't charge anything to the room for the single night, I even had a credit because we switched from a more expensive to less expensive room. So they didn't place the $100 hold and the ended up refunding me for the credit.

I still can't believe people still don't understand this.

Or they are being purposefully obtuse.
But they don't take 2 - 3 days anymore. The holds are "released" immediately upon check out with the credit that is also placed on the account. I can't believe people don't understand/see that when it's right there in blue and red (vs. black and white, LOL)

Thank you for this...another question - do you know when they actually charge the card? I'm wanting to pay with a gift card, but it'd be more convenient to pay for everything on my magicband, if I new for sure that check-out day or the day prior; I could go down to the front desk and pay all of the charges off with my gift card. Would this be possible?
The credit to equal the holds and the final charge are done together in the wee hours before check out (so sometime between oh, 1AM and 6AM)
If I looked at my credit limit on the day we checked out I'd see the final charge of $912 had been deducted from my remaining balance even though it didn't actually show up on the transaction history till the 9th. This may be a quirk unique to Chase though. It's the only card I ever use at Disney
If I used my AmEx instead of my DV I'd get an alert the second the charge is placed. But I don't. So I don't. LOL

But they don't take 2 - 3 days anymore. The holds are "released" immediately upon check out with the credit that is also placed on the account. I can't believe people don't understand/see that when it's right there in blue and red (vs. black and white, LOL)

You have access to everyone's bank accounts to see how fast the holds come off? Because if you are saying they put a hold on the bank account, the bank decides when those holds come off, not Disney.

I've had a Lyft hold on my account for over week while the actual charge was already paid.

You have access to everyone's bank accounts to see how fast the holds come off? Because if you are saying they put a hold on the bank account, the bank decides when those holds come off, not Disney.

I've had a Lyft hold on my account for over week while the actual charge was already paid.
No, that isn't what I'm saying at all. Read it again. Please. I thought I was being quite clear but I guess not.
How fast the holds come off have no bearing now that Disney issues a credit to equal the holds they placed.
They are at a $0 balance at that point.

See here again
Holds (not counting the $150, which was NOT done with the MB) equal what? $1012
Then, what is the amount as of the credit they place (also a temp hold. $1012
So now what is the remaining balance I owe for all those temp holds? $0
You are then at a $0 balance owed to Disney on your credit card bill.
After that, they process the final room charge, in my case $912, $100 less than the total of the temp holds.
All that done on the day of check out. How long those holds stayed has no bearing, since they total $0
9CD8C36B-FCA0-4035-ADA9-EB10804ADA4E.png7CC4CC65-192B-4F5A-AD3B-3AADAF0E39B6.jpeg

Last edited:
So they place holds, charge your account and issue a credit for the amount of the holds at the same time?

No, that isn't what I'm saying at all. Read it again. Please. I thought I was being quite clear but I guess not.
How fast the holds come off have no bearing now that Disney issues a credit to equal the holds they placed.
They are at a $0 balance at that point.

The credit to equal the holds and the final charge are done together in the wee hours before check out (so sometime between oh, 1AM and 6AM)

I don't know if I'm understanding what you're saying myself because to me you're saying that the credit for all of the holds made is issued in the final transaction of the stay and I hear people issuing concerns about the state of things during the body of their trip, not at the very end. So a credit at the bitter end of the trip wouldn't help them if their credit card company hangs on to those holds for days during the actual trip when they are trying to use the card. Unless you're saying that Disney isn't actually charging anything at all during your trip and is only placing the holds instead.

I don't know if I'm understanding what you're saying myself because to me you're saying that the credit for all of the holds made is issued in the final transaction of the stay and I hear people issuing concerns about the state of things during the body of their trip, not at the very end. So a credit at the bitter end of the trip wouldn't help them if their credit card company hangs on to those holds for days during the actual trip when they are trying to use the card. Unless you're saying that Disney isn't actually charging anything at all during your trip and is only placing the holds instead.
BINGO!

That seems so odd to me. If I eat a meal on Sept. 1 and stay through Sept 14th, they're not going to charge me for that meal for 2 weeks?

And now your response to Farro's question has me confused because they said "So they place holds, charge your account and issue a credit for the amount of the holds at the same time? "and you said "Bingo!". Did you really mean all 3 things happen at the exact same time (which is originally how I read that comment), or did you read it like this: They place holds, then sometime later they make the charges and credit the holds? Because what sense would it make to place a hold and credit the hold at the same time?

Last edited:
That seems so odd to me. If I eat a meal on Sept. 1 and stay through Sept 14th, they're not going to charge me for that meal for 2 weeks?
10 days has been our max and even then, we change resorts. So I've never had a charge sit on one resort account for that long. I know it is that way for 7 days, which is the longest we've done in one room.
I believe they still have some sort of threshold if you reach it they will process things just as if you have checked out so you can't run up too huge of a bill but honestly, not sure. With the hold process, they may no longer see the need to process it since they have "held up your funds" to be sure you are able to pay. That's the main point in it all. Knowing you can pay the bill you are running up.

Disney releases holds immediately. It shows (0) per Disney. The problem is and always has been with the guests bank. Most banks immediately process a hold. To remove a hold (and each bank is different) it can take 3-10 business days for the hold to come off your credit card\debit card. (Not your Disney bill - your card.

Disney releases holds immediately. It shows (0) per Disney. The problem is and always has been with the guests bank. Most banks immediately process a hold. To remove a hold (and each bank is different) it can take 3-10 business days for the hold to come off your credit card\debit card. (Not your Disney bill - your card.
But the credit from Disney to equal the Holds is sent to your bank. So that the holds at the bank equal $0
How does it matter how long it takes holds that equal $0 to fall off? It can take a month for all I care. It's $0
In my case, my pending charges/holds from Disney totaled $1012
Disney issued a credit to my credit card for $1012
Which leaves me with a balance charged to my credit card for the pending charges of what?

I've never had a credit applied to my account that fast. It usually takes days before I see a credit on my account unless my bank actually issued the credit.

This is weird. I still don't know if i'll charge to the room.

I've never had a credit applied to my account that fast. It usually takes days before I see a credit on my account unless my bank actually issued the credit.

This is weird. I still don't know if i'll charge to the room.
This is newish. A couple months at least, but not sure how far back this current process goes. It's not how they started out doing it but for certain how they've done it for my last 3, 4 stays. I mean, you can see it right there, pending credit posted on my check out day.
It's also unique to something Disney does and it being a pending credit vs. a true credit, for lack of better words. I too have never seen another vendor post credits that fast. But I've never had another vendor issue them as pending only.

And now your response to Farro's question has me confused because they said "So they place holds, charge your account and issue a credit for the amount of the holds at the same time? "and you said "Bingo!". Did you really mean all 3 things happen at the exact same time (which is originally how I read that comment), or did you read it like this: They place holds, then sometime later they make the charges and credit the holds? Because what sense would it make to place a hold and credit the hold at the same time?
Yep, it does happen all on the same day.
Look at the dates on my charges.
The credit to balance the holds to $0, posted on 3/5
The final bill charged to my room posted on 3/5.
Obviously the holds themselves are not all on 1 day, they are as you go. As they should be so that Disney can see if you are going to have adequate credit to pay your bill or not.
I posted the activity so folks could see "real time" the dates the charges were pending and/or posted.
But I believe this process is in place because they had to clear up the holds in order to have room on the card's credit limit to process the final bill. Sending that credit through does that.

She's saying that Disney will put holds for the charges, issue credits for those same charge amounts, and then charge the full charge amount. So in the end, the credits wash out the holds and you're only out the amount of the full charge versus the full charge amount 2x (hold amounts and actual charge).

I get it. I don't like it. I still think it's going to suck for people who have banks that hold deposits for a few days and/or if this all happens on a weekend and credits aren't processed right away.

Yep, it does happen all on the same day.
Look at the dates on my charges.
The credit to balance the holds to $0, posted on 3/5
The final bill charged to my room posted on 3/5.
Obviously the holds themselves are not all on 1 day, they are as you go. As they should be so that Disney can see if you are going to have adequate credit to pay your bill or not.

I don't understand why they just don't put the charges themselves through as you go and save all of this hassle. 😄

She's saying that Disney will put holds for the charges, issue credits for those same charge amounts, and then charge the full charge amount. So in the end, the credits wash out the holds and you're only out the amount of the full charge versus the full charge amount 2x (hold amounts and actual charge).

I get it. I don't like it. I still think it's going to suck for people who have banks that hold deposits for a few days and/or if this all happens on a weekend and credits aren't processed right away.
I have not had one single stay where they didn't issue the credit on the same exact day as I check out, weekend, Holiday included. Every stay since at least Oct (I can't recall if I looked in Aug) has processed the same. There's something in the way Disney sends these pending charges that makes them hit immediately, automatically. Some special coding? No idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter