Resorts still charging off daily?

I don't understand why they just don't put the charges themselves through as you go and save all of this hassle. 😄
That I don't know. I do know this policy seems as if it would be more work in the back office accounting but what do I know.
I'd also have done a way different amount than $100

I have not had one single stay where they didn't issue the credit on the same exact day as I check out, weekend, Holiday included. Every stay since at least Oct (I can't recall if I looked in Aug) has processed the same.

That's great, but the speed it goes into the bank account is on the bank - not Disney. I'm not concerned about Disney not issuing it day of, but the bank.

Obviously your bank will do it the same way each time.

That's great, but the speed it goes into the bank account is on the bank - not Disney. I'm not concerned about Disney not issuing it day of, but the bank.

Obviously your bank will do it the same way each time.
Interesting. I don't believe it will change but I shall test it by using a different card next month.
I think Disney is doing something automated with the pending charges. They "behave" differently than even a regular charge that is not ever send as a pending charge. It's an odd bird but I'm very willing to try even 2 different cards (different banking institutions)

She's saying that Disney will put holds for the charges, issue credits for those same charge amounts, and then charge the full charge amount. So in the end, the credits wash out the holds and you're only out the amount of the full charge versus the full charge amount 2x (hold amounts and actual charge).

I think part of my own issue was the terminology. The idea of crediting a "hold" confused me since a hold is typically "fake" money and a credit is usually "real" money on terms of how things work with my own credit card. :) Holds are usually larger than the actual charges and so holds fall of where charges and credits stay. So if a company gave me a credit equal to a hold, it would basically be a gift! 😄

I think part of my own issue was the terminology. The idea of crediting a "hold" makes no sens to me since a hold is typically "fake" money and a credit is usually "real" money. :)
Hold is the term Disney (or maybe even Dis uses)
It is really a Pending Charge
I process charges here at work.
To process a charge is a 2 step process.
When the purchase is made, a temp transaction is sent to the bank, to verify the funds are valid (either with a bank account/debit card or with a credit limit)
It remains pending until the charges are finalized. We do ours at the end of each day. If we didn't finalize the charge, it will never process to a customer's account. It will eventually just fall off. That final step must be done.
Now, there are other ways to do charges but that's how ours is run.
Restaurants do something similar, so that your initial authorization is for the food itself and then the tip is added at night, when charges are sent through for final authorization from the bank.
Disney is doing something even slightly different than that with just pending charges.

I think part of my own issue was the terminology. The idea of crediting a "hold" confused me since a hold is typically "fake" money and a credit is usually "real" money on terms of how things work with my own credit card. :) Holds are usually larger than the actual charges and so holds fall of where charges and credits stay. So if a company gave me a credit equal to a hold, it would basically be a gift! 😄
Also, this credit thing is an evolution of the process
When they first started this, there was no credit issued.
It was just a bunch of holds, which can take days to fall off.
Then, on check out day, the final charge was sent through, usually in a lump sum.
Well, as you can imagine, this left a large hit on a guests credit card. Until those holds fall off. Then it was fine.
Now, with this credit they issue, (which I too consider fake money) it clears out the hold and opens up all available credit on the customers credit limit and that allows Disney to put the final charge through without issue. (I refer to this as a "credit hold" but it's basically a pending charge, just like the others are, only as a negative amount, instead of positive)
It is a convoluted process but in the end, it works out. And moneys aren't tied up after you check out. Which is the biggie.

It is a convoluted process but in the end, it works out. And moneys aren't tied up after you check out. Which is the biggie.

Definitely! Thanks for all the info you've shared and all the questions you've answered! 😀

Yes, They will place a pending charge of $100 on the morning you arrive to ASMo and it will fall off if you never charge to the room for that stay. Then at SSR they will do the same (or include the room balance if it's a room only stay and not paid in full before arrival)

I actually had 2 stays in that above. However, we didn't charge anything to the room for the single night, I even had a credit because we switched from a more expensive to less expensive room. So they didn't place the $100 hold and the ended up refunding me for the credit.

But they don't take 2 - 3 days anymore. The holds are "released" immediately upon check out with the credit that is also placed on the account. I can't believe people don't understand/see that when it's right there in blue and red (vs. black and white, LOL)
my bank still takes about 3 to 5 to drop the hold. Disney drops at check out but not my bank which I am guessing is the longer time being mentioned

my bank still takes about 3 to 5 to drop the hold. Disney drops at check out but not my bank which I am guessing is the longer time being mentioned
With the credit issued in the amount of the hold does it matter if they all take 5 days to fall off? You have a $0 amount being held

With the credit issued in the amount of the hold does it matter if they all take 5 days to fall off? You have a $0 amount being held
from what my bank has told me once the hold is placed on account it will take 5 business days to drop from when they receive notice that it has been dropped and the charge will most likely go thru before hold is dropped. credit could take even longer as that has a 7 day to clear

from what my bank has told me once the hold is placed on account it will take 5 business days to drop from when they receive notice that it has been dropped and the charge will most likely go thru before hold is dropped. credit could take even longer as that has a 7 day to clear
Not the way Disney is sending the transactions. The credit (temp hold/pending hold) is placed immediately. It's not the same as a credit that will not be temp. They do it that way so your card is cleared of pending charges in order to have room on the credit limit for the charge they put through.

Folks don't seem to realize there are 2 different types of pending charges. Some are pending and will turn in to final charges. This is NOT what Disney does with room charges. On my activity, that is what the charge for the $150 is. The others are pending charges that are never going to be final charges. This is what all the others are, including the credit to bring the balance owed to $0. These hit as soon as sent. And no, I don't know why they are different, only that they are. The credit I have on my activity of $141 is the type that took 3, 4 days to show up. It was processed to the card differently than the temp/pending one was. It didn't show up on the day it was sent. But the other did.

Not the way Disney is sending the transactions. The credit (temp hold/pending hold) is placed immediately. It's not the same as a credit that will not be temp. They do it that way so your card is cleared of pending charges in order to have room on the credit limit for the charge they put through.

Folks don't seem to realize there are 2 different types of pending charges. Some are pending and will turn in to final charges. This is NOT what Disney does with room charges. On my activity, that is what the charge for the $150 is. The others are pending charges that are never going to be final charges. This is what all the others are, including the credit to bring the balance owed to $0. These hit as soon as sent. And no, I don't know why they are different, only that they are. The credit I have on my activity of $141 is the type that took 3, 4 days to show up. It was processed to the card differently than the temp/pending one was. It didn't show up on the day it was sent. But the other did.
my bank doesn't drop the hold on the day it is dropped so that money is not available for use until they drop it has nothing to do with what Disney does or does not do. it takes 3 to 5 days to clear that hold from when Disney drops it. not saying that is how your bank works but mine does not work that way yours does

my bank doesn't drop the hold on the day it is dropped so that money is not available for use until they drop it has nothing to do with what Disney does or does not do. it takes 3 to 5 days to clear that hold from when Disney drops it. not saying that is how your bank works but mine does not work that way yours does
You haven't acknowledged the credit issued from Disney. THAT is what clears the hold off. You no longer have to wait on it to be dropped by the bank.
This is a recent change to the way they do it.
But honestly, I don't care what anyone else does. I don't care if you (figurative you, not you-you) want to charge or not.
I'm only trying to educate so everyone has a fully informed decision when they make a trip.
The fact is, there is a new way (new in the last few months, Oct or so) so the issues of the beginning of this are gone. Hopefully those that are truly trying to learn how it is now will understand. Those who aren't going to charge period, well, then it likely doesn't matter to them how they do it. It will never impact them

You haven't acknowledged the credit issued from Disney. THAT is what clears the hold off. You no longer have to wait on it to be dropped by the bank.
This is a recent change to the way they do it.
But honestly, I don't care what anyone else does. I don't care if you (figurative you, not you-you) want to charge or not.
I'm only trying to educate so everyone has a fully informed decision when they make a trip.
The fact is, there is a new way (new in the last few months, Oct or so) so the issues of the beginning of this are gone. Hopefully those that are truly trying to learn how it is now will understand. Those who aren't going to charge period, well, then it likely doesn't matter to them how they do it. It will never impact them
I will go by what my bank has told me and yes I will not be charging because I do not have a large balance and will not chance it. not doubting it works for you. I would tell people to check with their bank as mine is telling differently and unless they do not send the hold which is what a hold is. Disney dropping it has nothing to do with when they clear it

I will go by what my bank has told me and yes I will not be charging because I do not have a large balance and will not chance it. not doubting it works for you. I would tell people to check with their bank as mine is telling differently and unless they do not send the hold which is what a hold is. Disney dropping it has nothing to do with when they clear it
Your bank is telling you how a regular credit is processed, for a refund of a purchase. They do take days. You aren't asking them about the same exact transaction type that Disney is sending through. I doubt anyone's bank can answer for this particular code but if you ask the right question they may. It's hard to understand much less explain.
The pending credit is processed exactly like the pending charges are. They hit as fast as the pending charges do.
No reason to charge to the room if you are happy with how it is working for you. Others reading do need to learn how the various charges are processed. They DO vary
I have a very small balance/limit too. If they hadn't done the credit it wouldn't have allowed the charge at check out to go through.

Your bank is telling you how a regular credit is processed, for a refund of a purchase. They do take days. You aren't asking them about the same exact transaction type that Disney is sending through. I doubt anyone's bank can answer for this particular code but if you ask the right question they may. It's hard to understand much less explain.
The pending credit is processed exactly like the pending charges are. They hit as fast as the pending charges do.
No reason to charge to the room if you are happy with how it is working for you. Others reading do need to learn how the various charges are processed. They DO vary
I have a very small balance/limit too. If they hadn't done the credit it wouldn't have allowed the charge at check out to go through.
when I talked with my bank we were not talking about a refund as I asked and that person repeated a dropped hold. the dropped hold is not the same as pending charge.

I don't understand why they just don't put the charges themselves through as you go and save all of this hassle
When Disney first changed their policies and started to put holds on people's room charges, they were putting through actual charges frequently. That caused an uproar and lots of problems with some banks, so Disney changed how they charged people's credit cards. It seems like there are a lot less problems now.

I don't understand why they just don't put the charges themselves through as you go and save all of this hassle. 😄

My guess is people wanted to charge back to the rooms but use gift cards - AND not have to go to the desk every day. If they put the charges through immediately, they would just have to reverse the charge which DOES generally take longer than reversing a hold (which as several have said, with at least some banks shows as a credit that counteracts the hold and then they both fall off).

It does seem weird to me that the cruiseline has the ability to pre-load your account with a gift card once you're on board - and they tell you to hold onto it in case anything comes back, so they do issue refunds if applicable - but the land-based WDW system can't do the same.

It does seem weird to me that the cruiseline has the ability to pre-load your account with a gift card once you're on board - and they tell you to hold onto it in case anything comes back, so they do issue refunds if applicable - but the land-based WDW system can't do the same.

I agree. While the situation described as being the current way of doing things does sound far better than what was happening even 6 months ago, I agree that for a good number of people, being able to load gift cards to their account ahead of time would be a great update. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter