Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
For those who think Fastpasses would work better for RotR.
Today for Flight of Passage the wait time today at 2 in the afternoon is 220 minutes 😳😳 It opened May of 2017. Still very popular.
I know:
It is a very busy week at WDW
If staying at a Disney resort it’s possible to get a FP to FOP
During slow times you can sometimes get a FP the day of
But:
I don’t see the demand for ROTR dying down any YEAR soon
and as it’s been said many times before only people staying at Disney resorts on 7+ day visits will be able to book FP’s for ROTR

Yes, but FOP is still MUCH more accessible than ROTR. In addition to fast passes, on several occasions we got in the ride in less than an hour (one time, it took 12 minutes!) by getting in line before closing time.

The thing about going fastpass/standby is that anyone who wants to ride, could ride. Everyone has a chance. You just have to decide you want to spend 3 hours in line. Which is better than the current system which depends on advance research, practice and a whole lot of luck. And the crowds in the park would be much more manageable without a crowd level 10 all arriving at rope drop. But until the ride reliability is better, they can’t do fastpasses, so the current system is the best of a bad situation, I think. Once they do get to FPs, if they release a good chunk of them on the day like they do with FOP it would be great too.

I don’t think limiting repeats would change anything. The proportion of repeat riders is likely statistically insignificant. But I do think people who ride 9x should probably be discreet about that fact to people who have not been able to get on at all.

Line wouldn't be 3 hrs. Be 6+ and with the amount of breakdowns, they'd have to empty the queue,then you'd have thousands of people just standing outside the ride waiting for it to open, and you have a mad dash to the queue before it fills up to 5 hrs

Line wouldn't be 3 hrs. Be 6+ and with the amount of breakdowns, they'd have to empty the queue,then you'd have thousands of people just standing outside the ride waiting for it to open, and you have a mad dash to the queue before it fills up to 5 hrs
Yes, as I said, the reliability would have to be much, much better before the could FP. But ultimately, the lines will become what people will bear. If someone wants to wait in line for six hours, that’s their choice.

Yes, but FOP is still MUCH more accessible than ROTR. In addition to fast passes, on several occasions we got in the ride in less than an hour (one time, it took 12 minutes!) by getting in line before closing time.
They also drop FOP fastpasses throughout the day, which increases accessibility.

My point was😊💕
FOP is almost 3 years old and on non busy days it has an average 2 hours wait and on days like today it’s 3-4 hours.
RotR lines will be terrible for years

I don't think the number of repeat riders is insignificant, in the boarding group thread and other planning forums that I browse, it seems that people with only one day to try are in the minority.

I think it would be really nice if on-site guests of, say, 5 nights or more could get 1 pre-assigned boarding group for their trip. But there would still need to be a way for offsite guests, AP holders, locals, etc to have a reasonable chance to ride.

I don't know, it's just such a bummer seeing people miss out. And even more of a bummer to know that our odds of riding aren't even as good as they were 2 weeks ago, when I felt like we'd have a 75-80% chance of making it happen by being prepared. We are huge SW fans with only one shot at riding, so it will be a huge disappointment if we try and fail.

Last edited:
I don't think the number of repeat riders is insignificant, in the boarding group and other planning forums that I browse, it seems that people with only one day to try are in the minority.

I think it would be really nice if on-site guests of, say, 5 nights or more could get 1 pre-assigned boarding group for their trip. But there would still need to be a way for offsite guests, AP holders, locals, etc to have a reasonable chance to ride.

I don't know, it's just such a bummer seeing people miss out. And even more of a bummer to know that our odds of riding aren't even as good as they were 2 weeks ago, when I felt like we'd have a 75-80% chance of making it happen by being prepared. We are huge SW fans with only one shot at riding, so it will be a huge disappointment if we try and fail.
I completely agree. It seems there are A LOT of people who are riding 3 and 4 times per week. If Disney isn't going to do anything about it, I feel like the least guests could do would be to ride it once and then bow out so that others have a chance.

My 12 year old nephew will be there tomorrow for 1 day, and not get the chance to be back to Disney again for several years. Their family can't afford hoppers. He is the biggest Star Wars fan and I have all my fingers and toes crossed for him, but he will be crushed if they don't get to ride.

He would wait 6 hours in a line for this. If they got rid of the boarding groups and had a traditional line, kids like my nephew would get a guaranteed chance to ride. And this would eliminate a lot of the crowds, as many would not wait in a line that long multiple times per week.

There are a lot of people in hardcore Disney forums who ride multiple times, sure. But these forums are by no means representative of the average daily user of Disney. There are thousands of hotel rooms in and off site at Disney filled every night with people who are going to parks every day and have never even heard of these forums.

I completely agree. It seems there are A LOT of people who are riding 3 and 4 times per week. If Disney isn't going to do anything about it, I feel like the least guests could do would be to ride it once and then bow out so that others have a chance.

My 12 year old nephew will be there tomorrow for 1 day, and not get the chance to be back to Disney again for several years. Their family can't afford hoppers. He is the biggest Star Wars fan and I have all my fingers and toes crossed for him, but he will be crushed if they don't get to ride.

He would wait 6 hours in a line for this. If they got rid of the boarding groups and had a traditional line, kids like my nephew would get a guaranteed chance to ride. And this would eliminate a lot of the crowds, as many would not wait in a line that long multiple times per week.
This has been said about 20 times, RotR is not reliable enough for a standby. Not only will the line be extremely long without anyone really knowing how long the wait will be because of constant breaking down, but having hundreds if not thousands of people congregated in a queue for hours is simply not safe, it's called mob mentality and Disney doesn't want any part of it.
I hope that you are helping you're family tomorrow from home, they'll have as better chance with you helping

Last edited:
This has been said about 20 times, RotR is not reliable enough for a standby. Not only will the line be extremely long without anyone really knowing how long the wait will be because of constant breaking down, but having hundreds if not thousands of people congregated in a queue for hours is simply not safe, it's called mob mentality and Disney doesn't want any part of it.
I hope that you are helping you're family tomorrow from home, they'll have as better chance with you helping
Between all of our phones, we didn't get a pass. They were gone in 29 seconds. Crying nephew.

I understand and have read the opinions regarding line vs. no line. I was simply sharing mine. I still think a line would be better, even with break downs and long waits. The mob there at opening every morning is not any more safe than a queue would be.

The anger, bad faith and disappointment that Disney is inducing by keeping with the current system is likely going to do far more damage to their reputation than a long line would.

Between all of our phones, we didn't get a pass. They were gone in 29 seconds. Crying nephew.

I understand and have read the opinions regarding line vs. no line. I was simply sharing mine. I still think a line would be better, even with break downs and long waits. The mob there at opening every morning is not any more safe than a queue would be.

The anger, bad faith and disappointment that Disney is inducing by keeping with the current system is likely going to do far more damage to their reputation than a long line would.
you are looking at it only from the guest perspective.
If you would look at it from a Disney operations perspective you will see that the current system is the only system viable for the current condition of reliability of the ride.
Imagine thousands of people, in a queue, on a hot/rainy day, waiting hour after hour with no clear knowledge of when or if they will ride. Imagine the anger bubbling up hour after hour, imagine that mob mentality.
The current system gives you a result straight away, either you know you might have a chance or none at all and then you can go about your day. The guest needs to take accountability in knowing that when you come to Disney nothing is guaranteed and plan your expectations accordingly. If you know how the system works you then make a decision to try and get a bg or just skip it all together/
Disney doesn't want anyone to be disappointed and they are operating with the best method available right now, there's nothing more that Disney wants than to get the ride performing optimally so they can open the standby queue

No one outside Disney knows how many people are in a BG. But let's say, just to have a number, that there are 100 people in a BG and that 70 BGs will probably get to ride on any given day, That's 7,000 people.

I seriously doubt that there's a significant enough number of repeat riders on any day that this would have a real impact on anyone's attempt to get a BG. Sure, there are people posting on the DIS that they've ridden multiple times, but this is a specialty forum. Heck, half the people I talk to in standby lines at WDW don't even know about FP+, much less procedures to get a BG for RotR. Or that anyone can use the WDW bus system. Or that anyone can make an ADR. Or what MDX is. Or that all of these things are free.

What I'm trying to say is that for those of you who think people should be limited to 1 BG every 7 days (or whatever the limit is), I seriously doubt this would have any impact on anyone else's ability to get a BG. Even if there were 100 people/day who were serial riders, that'd still be only like 1.5% of the riders.

And what if you're in WDW just once and won't be back for 5 or 10 years and the only reason you went at all was to ride RotR and experience SWGE, because you're not a Disney fan but a Star Wars fan? Should that person be limited to riding RotR only once during their trip? Should they limit FP+s for other rides? Maybe you should be allowed to ride FoP only once every week because it's such a hard FP+ to get and also the standby lines are often heinous there?

It's not that I don't feel bad for people for whom this is their only chance in a long while to experience RotR. I do. I just don't think that limiting access to repeat riders would make much of a difference, if any, for their chances of getting a BG.

What do I think the solution is? Disney IT should make MAJOR changes in MDX and its performance, giving everyone in the park at opening a fair and equal chance of getting a BG.

Actually--and I know this is a very unpopular opinion here, but I have it anyway--I much preferred the original system, where as soon as you were let into the park, you could try for a BG. You didn't have to wait for the official park opening time. I think this put a lot less stress on the MDX servers and it also at least gave one the illusion that if you got up early and got to the park early, then you would get a BG. Now, no matter how early you get up or when you get to the park, you're in a huge pool of people all stressing out MDX at the same moment.

Look, Disney made an amazing ride experience in RotR. No wonder everyone wants to ride. It's astounding. I'll be back in May and hope to ride as many times as I try.

For everyone who hasn't been to SWGE and doesn't get a BG and this is your only try for a while, please note that SWGE itself is a unique, immersive experience. Well worth the trip to DHS. No, it's not RotR, but it is really well done, beautiful, immersive, fascinating, and a great way to spend your time at DHS.

Actually--and I know this is a very unpopular opinion here, but I have it anyway--I much preferred the original system, where as soon as you were let into the park, you could try for a BG. You didn't have to wait for the official park opening time. I think this put a lot less stress on the MDX servers and it also at least gave one the illusion that if you got up early and got to the park early, then you would get a BG. Now, no matter how early you get up or when you get to the park, you're in a huge pool of people all stressing out MDX at the same moment.

Look, Disney made an amazing ride experience in RotR. No wonder everyone wants to ride. It's astounding. I'll be back in May and hope to ride as many times as I try.
I loved the original system, that's how I got to ride it during week 1, the problem now is security logistics, people would just show up earlier and earlier to be at the front of the pack and Disney can't control the influx since the park is accessible by walking.

I loved the original system, that's how I got to ride it during week 1, the problem now is security logistics, people would just show up earlier and earlier to be at the front of the pack and Disney can't control the influx since the park is accessible by walking.
Yes, @yulilin3. That's how I got to ride in December as well, during the 2nd week of operation. It's the "park is accessible by walking" part of it that I can't come up with a remedy for, although I hardly think people would walk over at 2 a.m. if they knew the tapstiles wouldn't be open until 6:35 or something. But maybe they would.

The popularity of this ride is both unprecedented and warranted. And because of its many elements (I won't post spoilers), it's probably more prone to breakdowns and difficulties than any other ride at WDW. Will they ever get this under control? I hope so, and at that point perhaps a FP+/standby system will be in place. Although I personally would never hang out in a standby line for 5+ hours.

If/when they do get the ride under control, if they then start having Star Wars nights at DHS for an extra fee, I'm gonna guess they'd be sold out immediately. Hey, more money for the Mouse! They'd probably sell BGs right now if they thought the system were reliable, but they'd never want to be in a position of selling a premium ticket that might result in hundreds of ticked-off guests.

Edited to fix typo.

Yes, @yulilin3. That's how I got to ride in December as well, during the 2nd week of operation. It's the "park is accessible by walking" part of it that I can't come up with a remedy for, although I hardly think people would walk over at 2 a.m. if they knew the tapstiles wouldn't be open until 6:35 or something. But maybe they would.

The popularity of this ride is both unprecedented and warranted. And because of its many elements (I won't post spoilers), it's probably more prone to breakdowns and difficulties than any other ride at WDW. Will they ever get this under control? I hope so, and at that point perhaps a FP+/standby system will be in place. Although I personally would never hang out in a standby line for 5+ hours.

If/when they do get the ride under control, if they then start having Star Wars nights at DHS for an extra fee, I'm gonna guess they'd be sold out immediately. Hey, more money for the Mouse! They'd probably sell BGs right now if they thought the system were reliable, but they'd never want to be in a position of selling a premium ticket that might result in hundreds of ticked-off guests.

Edited to fix typo.
People would show up super early, look at the precedent with Star Wars Weekends, I would show up at midnight and have like 200 people in front of me for a chance to get an autograph from 1 actor/actress. That's the main issue with the earlier system
I really hope they figure out the kinks and are able to open standby just so that we can move from hate for bg to hate for a 5 hour standby line :D

People would show up super early, look at the precedent with Star Wars Weekends, I would show up at midnight and have like 200 people in front of me for a chance to get an autograph from 1 actor/actress. That's the main issue with the earlier system
I really hope they figure out the kinks and are able to open standby just so that we can move from hate for bg to hate for a 5 hour standby line :D
Just wow. Midnight? OK, I take back everything I said about first come, first served. But I don't take back what I said about limiting people's ability to ride more than once every week. If I pay for admission to a park and I want to have a chance to ride something, then, unless the ride is closed or broken, I want a chance to ride it.

If we go with the scarcity scenario, then perhaps I shouldn't stay at a resort that's sold out, since I'm depriving someone else of a room there. Or have a hard-to-get ADR, since I've been to WDW before and someone else trying to get an ADR at the same place hasn't. Imagine what would happen if WDW started limiting any number of experiences based on the number of times you visited? They'd be losing a lot of repeat customers.

No one outside Disney knows how many people are in a BG. But let's say, just to have a number, that there are 100 people in a BG and that 70 BGs will probably get to ride on any given day, That's 7,000 people.

I know this is for Disneyland and not an official source, but this suggests that it's more than 7,000 people per day. By quite a bit.

LA Times Article estimates RotR capacity between 17,600 and 30,400 guests per day.

I'd be shocked if Disney World's capacity was significantly lower.

Per Len Testa's estimated he has RotR running around 1350 per hour in WDW. On a 12 hour day that would put the ride around 16-17,000.

That sounds consistent with the LA Times article, which was based on Touring Plans estimating 1100 - 1500 per hour currently, but with a 16-hour day and a max theoretical capacity of 1900 when operating glitch-free.

That sounds consistent with the LA Times article, which was based on Touring Plans estimating 1100 - 1500 per hour currently, but with a 16-hour day and a max theoretical capacity of 1900 when operating glitch-free.
Yeah glitch free is the big issue for both coasts. Its not often you get a 16 hour day at DHS either. Disneyland still will be open to midnight fairly often though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter