Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
All my whining aside, with the fear of dwindling regular BGs over the past few days, I do hope the BG system is still in place through the crush of Spring Break season. I would much rather try for a BG first thing and know I can't get in than wait in a 5 hour line. We just won't wait that long.

Disney loves this system, because instead of people standing in lines for 3 hours they are walking around the park spending money. I think the 6 hour standby lines will never materialize once reliability is improved and they implement fastpass and standby. The boarding pass at open system has led to a scarcity mindset and made the crowding problem *worse*. Once it’s reliably running, and that is the biggest factor, it will do very well with pandora level lines.

If SW was the whole reason for my trip and I thought my vacation would be ruined if I couldn’t ride RotR, I would definitely hold off planning a trip until there was more reliability. I would not want to put myself in a place where my day or even my vacation had a pretty high chance of being ruined. It seems like this is where some people are at and that is awful.
If DL has more reliability I would try and go there instead.
I’m glad I don’t have a vacation planned right now, this is tough. (Well, not really, I’m sad I don’t have a vacation planned.)
Good luck to all! MTFBWY:darth:

As of now DISNEY is forc you into buying the park hopper ticket. If you can’t get on ROtR the day you go and get a passes for the next day. You really don’t want to spend reopens days in the studios . You need to come back in the next day to do that ride

Per Len Testa's estimated he has RotR running around 1350 per hour in WDW. On a 12 hour day that would put the ride around 16-17,000.
That's interesting. In which case even, say, 250 repeat riders/day would make very little difference to one's odds of snagging a BG.

As someone with a not-all-that smartphone, my guess is that the best way to snag a BG is a combination of having a brand-new iPhone and being able to Select All on the selection screen. And, you know, luck.

That's interesting. In which case even, say, 250 repeat riders/day would make very little difference to one's odds of snagging a BG.

As someone with a not-all-that smartphone, my guess is that the best way to snag a BG is a combination of having a brand-new iPhone and being able to Select All on the selection screen. And, you know, luck.

A lot of people have reported having a slower phone in their group being the successful one. Since getting the red button seems to be a bit of timing luck, it may not actually be the fastest phone that always has the advantage.

A lot of people have reported having a slower phone in their group being the successful one. Since getting the red button seems to be a bit of timing luck, it may not actually be the fastest phone that always has the advantage.

I watch/test the morning progression (nearly) every day. Latest iPhone on WiFi most of the time, sometimes data. Sometimes the timing reports I see on the main RotR thread are similar - sometimes they are way off. Sometimes the red button shows up, sometimes I have to click “My Status” (and sometimes people report the exact opposite). I’m not tech savvy to know exactly why the experience is slightly different for all of us on any given day (I’m sure there are technical reasons why) - but it definitely does seem to vary by 10-30 seconds one way or the other. For whatever that is worth (which is not much!).

Personally I don't think they are fair.
Disney doesn't want people lining up at 2AM or standing in 8 hour standby lines.
But is having a smartphone technology cage match at park opening the best method?

Some people have 4 day magic tickets that only allow them one shot at getting a BG.
Also some people don't have Park Hoppers, so once you commit to the park you are stuck.

It would be nice to know before you commit to scanning at the gate to know you are in a boarding group.

I know I am going to get burned, but this is just my opinion and I am entitled to it.

I am all for Virtual Queue, but the spots have to be distributed fairly.
They need to hand out numbered tickets that coincide with boarding group numbers as you enter the park. If they run out of tickets, then you have the option to walk away and use your ticket to enter another park. First in, low BG, last in standby BG.

There has to be some other technology with either scanning QR codes as you enter or a ticket with a number with pin combination.

They need to hand out numbered tickets that coincide with boarding group numbers as you enter the park. If they run out of tickets, then you have the option to walk away and use your ticket to enter another park. First in, low BG, last in standby BG.

There has to be some other technology with either scanning QR codes as you enter or a ticket with a number with pin combination.
That's basically what happened the first couple of weeks, as people entered the park they could join a bg which meant people who were in the front of the tapstiles got lower groups.
The reason they dropped this was because people kept showing up earlier and earlier to guarantee a bg. Disney doesn't want people showing up at midnight

IMO the current system is the best and most fair.

My family and I went on 2/14. Huge Star Wars fans! Star Wars was our only reason for visiting Disney. We had one day only at DHS, no money for a return.
On a day in which BGs were gone in just a minute, we got on ROTR! BG 47.

But . . . if we *hadn't* gotten on with our one shot, I would still think that BGs are the best method. I personally would probably line up at midnight to ride, but I certainly don't think it's a good idea for a theme park to encourage that mess every day. Nor is it a good idea to have people like me standing in line at the park for six hours rather than running around spending money (or what money we have, LOL). Standing in line for the Millennium Falcon was long enough. And if there were a Fastpass system in place, people like my kids and me would never get a Fastpass. I think that's pretty sad. Bad business for Disney, too.

Star Wars fans will have an amazing time at Galaxy's Edge regardless of whether they ride ROTR or not. Batuu is amazing. It moved me on a deep emotional level. You just have to go in with the mindset that nothing is guaranteed, and it's simply nice to have a chance.

That’s not “fair”. Not everyone is able to get to the park at 4 am to be first in line. The current system is the “fair”-est.

Personally I don't think they are fair.
Disney doesn't want people lining up at 2AM or standing in 8 hour standby lines.
But is having a smartphone technology cage match at park opening the best method?

Some people have 4 day magic tickets that only allow them one shot at getting a BG.
Also some people don't have Park Hoppers, so once you commit to the park you are stuck.

It would be nice to know before you commit to scanning at the gate to know you are in a boarding group.

I know I am going to get burned, but this is just my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Excellent points and ones I agree with. Someone did a quick breakdown of a randomizing the BG upon scanning park entry. I think you got a better chance scanning earlier in the day, but at least it wasn't an all-or-nothing cage match at park opening. The other option was the night before knowing if you got a BG.

I don't think you will see much change immediately, but with future openings in EP and MK looming, it is likely the crunch will lessen to a degree. Couple that with Universal's 3rd gate a few years away and things change dramatically. Disney will have to answer THAT in some way too. I voted for FP+, but it shouldn't happen soon. They would be smart to make the shift to FP with MORE than 70 days notice...

Nobody is guaranteed access on any ride. If you don’t have a phone, you can get boarding groups by talking to a GET in the park.

Nobody is guaranteed access on any ride. If you don’t have a phone, you can get boarding groups by talking to a GET in the park.
From what I've heard, the line is long for GET's and basically only the first 1 or 2 people in that line get a BG.

What about doing some FP (maybe not as high a % as other rides) so it rewards those that stay on property for longer stays

But then instead of standard standby you do the BG/virtual queue system for day of. This way you aren't stuck in a line for 5+ hours and those that didn't get a FP still have a shot day if if they rope drop
No trying to be difficult but with nearly 40,000 rooms and assuming at least 2 people per room, that's over 80,000 people trying for a handful of FP's and no investment of time as they can do it from home. I don't see how this is any better than the lottery system in place now. It would actually be even harder to hit and exclude any people who are local

From what I've heard, the line is long for GET's and basically only the first 1 or 2 people in that line get a BG.
Well yes. They go fast everywhere. There is no perfect system, but it’s the one they’ve got. Disney is not a democracy.

No trying to be difficult but with nearly 40,000 rooms and assuming at least 2 people per room, that's over 80,000 people trying for a handful of FP's and no investment of time as they can do it from home. I don't see how this is any better than the lottery system in place now. It would actually be even harder to hit and exclude any people who are local

Absolutely the FPs available would go super fast - likely all at 70 days out if not 90 days out.

But at least it would be a 2nd option and provide a benefit to those paying to stay on property, for club level, etc

And then you still have the day of BGs for those that aren't staying on property/those that didn't get a FPs to try to get one.

Just fearful if go normal route it will be 6+ hour standing queue so an alternative to that is better

Really no perfect solution given the unreliability of the ride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter